The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sheldonleonard

Episode 2.05

On 4/7/2020 at 11:32 PM, Tensor said:

Yes.  You have to demonstrate you know the rules and signs, before being allowed on the road.  Then you have to have a licensed driver, usually over 18, accompany you, while you drive.   Here in the states it’s usually known as a learners permit.  

A bit different over here. You just apply for a Provisional Licence, and you can start practising, either with a Professional instructor, or a friend/relative, but the friend/relative must be at least 21 years old, and have held a full licence for at least 3 years.

You do have to take a multiple-choice Theory Test (much like Sheldon had to do), and a computerised Hazard Perception Test, but it is taken after the Provisional Licence is issued, and before the Practical Road Test.

You must also display L-Plates, front and rear of the vehicle.

lplates.thumb.jpg.b8e50c476403f8e773ae07731c30645e.jpg

5 hours ago, chucky said:

Basically parallel parking is parking in a space between a car in front and a car in the rear. It can be stressful at times. 

Then there was the "reversing round a corner" and the "hill start". 😁

7 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

You must have driven very well too.

Was complimented on my reversing.

Also, did the same again, 6 years later, on a motorcycle. 😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Okay Dokay   😏

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 2:32 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

Never had to do these actions. I'm taking them as humor.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, chucky said:

Never had to do these actions. I'm taking them as humor.

Nope, not humour.

When I took my test, they were mandatory manoeuvres, along with the "Turning In The Road" (aka the Three Point Turn), and the "Emergency Stop".

Edited by Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Nope, not humor.

When I took my test, they were mandatory manoeuvres, along with the "Turning Between Kerbs" (aka the Three Point Turn), and the "Emergency Stop".

Well, they're new to me except for the easy Three Point Turn.

Personally, I think the Emergency Stop should still be mandatory.

IMO, there's no part of driving more important, than stopping quickly and safely, if somebody runs out in front of you.

5 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Personally, I think the Emergency Stop should still be mandatory.

IMO, there's no part of driving more important, than stopping quickly and safely, if somebody runs out in front of you.

Very true. But not only somebody, there are some mighty big animals in the wooded areas. A nice size deer can come out of nowhere and do a lot of damage to a driver and vehicle.

If I have two directions to steer, and one has an deer in the way, and the other a human, I'm afraid Bambi is going to be toast.

18 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

If I have two directions to steer, and one has an deer in the way, and the other a human, I'm afraid Bambi is going to be toast.

That's obvious and not my point. I just stated that hitting a big animal such as a deer, should be avoided as well. As I said, if there's a choice between having to hit either a human or an animal, then the animal is the choice to hit.

I've known people who had difficulty passing the driving test, once air fares came down, to take a trip to the USA to a town where the roads are laid out in a nice easy pattern and take the test there. They change the American licence for an international one allowing them to drive insupervised on British roads. Nowadays they have to take a British driving test after a certain time but the confidence they've gained stands them in good stead.