The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjc45

prady on season 6

I fail to see why the two must be mutually exclusive. Can't we have both?

Exactly, I love all the geeky nerd science stuff just as much as the next person, but I don't think the relationships ruin the show at all the couple comedy is just as funny if sometimes funnier than the science nerd stuff on the show especially Shamy.

Sure I also get tired of Penny/Leonard drama at times too, but they set up a will they won't they premise in the pilot between them and now they have to keep it going or it would just turn into a show about three happily married couples and one lonely Indian boy who can't talk to women :icon_lol: and I know folks don't want that happening anytime soon so we should be happy the couples still continue have issues to overcome.

And I don't think Howard/Bernadette's relationship is boring at all, Howard is much better person now and the skeevy perv jokes are not what his character is all about anymore which is great development. I don't care what anyone says. But, great thing about it is Howard still says pervy jokes in Season 5 like that comment he made in finale about Leonard already being on his knees when he proposed and "close your eyes and hold out you hand" joke to Bernadette. So its not like he's totally changed, he's just got someone cute and funny to spend time with.

I think it be totally unrealistic and boring to watch a sitcom about four pathetic lonely nerds who can't get girls so they sit around in their underwear all day playing videogames and acting superior than everyone else in the world just because they like science. I wouldn't want to watch that for seven seasons straight.

There is so much more to see and do in the world besides be a stereotypical nerd and Howard's space storyline is very scientific, but actually allows him to be adventurous too. Thats why I loved it when the guys when to the Artic again got them out of their apartments doing something sciencey, but new and Howard marrying Bernadette was cool too because it also allowed him to grow as a human being so he doesn't end up alone in his bathtub with only a wash clothe and a mental image to hold on too forever that would be just sad! His marrying Bernie may actually give him a chance to talk more about science not less since she is a SCIENTIST and he is an Engineer. So I don't see it as a draw back to show or science or comedy at all.

So I say bring on the dueling moms, bring on the dueling couples and bring on the SHAMY!!! and after just reading the TV Guide and seeing that ratings are so high even for season 5 summer reruns of TBBT, the writers must be doing something right cause more people are watching and its currently #1 comedy in America. If writing about relationships on TBBT makes them a sellout than I hope they also sellout of DVDs of TBBT in the stores too cause thats what good shows should be doing SELLING OUT!! :icon_wink:

Oh really , more about bernardette and howard!!! How boring!

For me there was too much of them in season 5 and also too much leonard and penny . They are just soo boring and lack that " woow" affect that you get with shamy.

I don't want sheldon to change but I also want their relationship to progress. As long as they can monitor this affectively , I will be fine.

I'm with 4ofN; I love the science & geek culture, & yeah thanks Moonbase I meant drama, like in ugh, dramedy. That's what the whole Bernadette turning into Howard's mother just strikes me as: dramedy. Whereas earlier I loved her jokes about crossing killer viruses & the common cold in the lab.

No babies, no angry wife & clueless hubby stuff for me. Bleah. Shamy is wow because they do talk science. Though Amy really isn't into geek culture and there is a female counterpart. I wish they'd show that, it's different than guys to a degree but geeky. Who else knows the Hobbit is coming out in Latin...lol.

the problem is that the relationship drama is taking over. that is where they are spending all of the time so, no , i don't think they can have both. they are adding more and more relationship drama to the exclusion of all else.

It's always been about more than just Halo night and engineering and physics, hasn't it?

Not for me. I always felt that the relationship stuff was background. The real point of the show was the nerd / geek / science culture.

It would be! I'm wondering how you mean grow it in that direction?

The worlds of science, gaming, comics etc. are infinite. There could be lots of things that they do. Growth could be in different / new games, new gaming machines, ability - perhaps one of the guys could get involved in professional gaming. Perhaps they could deal with more new science or some fun science. For instance, my father was a physics prof and he had tons of cool demonstrations that he would do for his students.

The only thing that matters is if you are interested in those things. If you aren't then that would be boring. But for people like me who love this stuff, you could go on forever with interesting storylines.

I think it be totally unrealistic and boring to watch a sitcom about four pathetic lonely nerds who can't get girls so they sit around in their underwear all day playing videogames and acting superior than everyone else in the world just because they like science. I wouldn't want to watch that for seven seasons straight.

And there you have it. A perfect example of how someone who doesn't like nerd / geek / science culture sees it.

Please tell me that this isn't how you saw the first three seasons.

Not for me. I always felt that the relationship stuff was background. The real point of the show was the nerd / geek / science culture.

And there you have it. A perfect example of how someone who doesn't like nerd / geek / science culture sees it.

Please tell me that this isn't how you saw the first three seasons

I'm not Superlovelexi, but I'm going to respond to you :icon_cheesygrin:

And my answer is: No, I beg to disagree with you, in my opinion, in this show, even in the first three season, the science/geek/nerd stuff has always been the 'special flavor" of it, not the main theme.

Just let's take a look at the episodes of the first season:

1. Pilot: The guys meet Penny, Leonard falls for her and tries to impress her facing her ex-boyfriend.

2. TBBH: Sheldon's obsession for cleaniness is the excuse to a crazy plot and, also, to see more of Leonard pinning after Penny.

3. TFBC: Leonard asks Penny on a date

4. TLFE: Sheldon goes crazy after losing his job

5. THP: Leonard and Leslie have a fling, Penny seems to be a bit jealous.

6. TMEP: Penny invites the guys to a party, Leonard tries to impress her, they "fight" with her ex, they kiss for the first time.

7. TDP: Penny's slutty friend hooks up with Howard.

8. TGE: Raj meets an arranged fiancee, he discovers he can talk with women while drunk.

9. TCHP: Sheldon and Leonard have a disagreement because of the first's selfishness and the latter's need of approval, Penny interacts with them and we see Leonard (again) pinning for her.

10. TLD: Sheldon plots a complicated lie to explain their absence when Penny invites them to see her in a musical.

11. TPBA: Sheldon falls sick, the guys try to scape from him and Penny is forced to take care of him.

12. TJD: Sheldon feels miserable when a genius kid appears and threatens his authority, the guys make the kid become interested in girls to help Sheldon return to "normality"

13. TBJC: The physics bowl episode. Sheldon trigger the action again being his selfish usual self.

14. TNA: Leonard is ashamed of his nerdiness and geekiness, wanting to become "normal" in order to be more attractive to Penny.

15. TPCI: They guys fight over the attention of Sheldon's attractive sister

16. TPR: Penny wants to throw a B'day party for Leonard, she gaves him another kiss at the end.

17. TTF: Leonard invites Penny to a date and the whole episode revolves around them trying to figure out if it's a good idea.

And that's it, the "golden" first season.

Two main themes are clear for me here:

a) Three of the four guys crave a relationship, the one we see developed the most is Leonard trying to attract Penny's attention.

B) Sheldon is crazy.

Is this a show that used to be "not about relationships"?

The greatest difference I see is, then all the guys were single and unsuccesful in their attempts to romance, now two of them have girlfriends and one is even married, that's why it feels overcrowded with "romance" and some people feels frustrated over that, but not because before it used to be "all about science and comics and stuff" and now it's not anymore.

Of course there are nerd and geeks references all around, the guys are supposed to be scientists and geeks, but, as I see it, none of the episodes remembered here, treated any science/geek/nerd topic as the main theme.

And my answer is: No, I beg to disagree with you, in my opinion, in this show, even in the first three season, the science/geek/nerd stuff has always been the 'special flavor" of it, not the main theme.

1. Pilot: The guys meet Penny, Leonard falls for her and tries to impress her facing her ex-boyfriend.

2. TBBH: Sheldon's obsession for cleaniness is the excuse to a crazy plot and, also, to see more of Leonard pinning after Penny.

3. TFBC: Leonard asks Penny on a date

4. TLFE: Sheldon goes crazy after losing his job

5. THP: Leonard and Leslie have a fling, Penny seems to be a bit jealous.

6. TMEP: Penny invites the guys to a party, Leonard tries to impress her, they "fight" with her ex, they kiss for the first time.

7. TDP: Penny's slutty friend hooks up with Howard.

8. TGE: Raj meets an arranged fiancee, he discovers he can talk with women while drunk.

9. TCHP: Sheldon and Leonard have a disagreement because of the first's selfishness and the latter's need of approval, Penny interacts with them and we see Leonard (again) pinning for her.

10. TLD: Sheldon plots a complicated lie to explain their absence when Penny invites them to see her in a musical.

11. TPBA: Sheldon falls sick, the guys try to scape from him and Penny is forced to take care of him.

12. TJD: Sheldon feels miserable when a genius kid appears and threatens his authority, the guys make the kid become interested in girls to help Sheldon return to "normality"

13. TBJC: The physics bowl episode. Sheldon trigger the action again being his selfish usual self.

14. TNA: Leonard is ashamed of his nerdiness and geekiness, wanting to become "normal" in order to be more attractive to Penny.

15. TPCI: They guys fight over the attention of Sheldon's attractive sister

16. TPR: Penny wants to throw a B'day party for Leonard, she gaves him another kiss at the end.

17. TTF: Leonard invites Penny to a date and the whole episode revolves around them trying to figure out if it's a good idea.

a) Three of the four guys crave a relationship, the one we see developed the most is Leonard trying to attract Penny's attention.

B) Sheldon is crazy.

The greatest difference I see is, then all the guys were single and unsuccesful in their attempts to romance, now two of them have girlfriends and one is even married, that's why it feels overcrowded with "romance" and some people feels frustrated over that, but not because before it used to be "all about science and comics and stuff" and now it's not anymore.

Of course there are nerd and geeks references all around, the guys are supposed to be scientists and geeks, but, as I see it, none of the episodes remembered here, treated any science/geek/nerd topic as the main theme.

Wow. Case closed. Verdict goes to the defense:icon_wink:

In the very first episode Leonard longs for the pretty girl. RELATIONSHIPS, the desire to be in one, etc was a part of the aired pilot - INSTANTLY.

Get on board people...

It was NEVER primarily about science.

Why is it whenever original fans say the science/ nerd culture is the component that drew them to watch the show in the first place, people write lists about the human aspects to discount its content in the show?

I'm not saying remove the relationships because I don't think thats necessary but we are talking about season 6 here!!!!! The thought of watching Howard and Berndettes marital problems leaves me cold.

If next season is just a case of 'which couple is having the relationship issue this week?' I will be extremely disappointed. 

Exactly, I love all the geeky nerd science stuff just as much as the next person,

I love how people just totally ignore that my very first statment in that post was this one :icon_lol:

I don't think it should be pro relationship vs. pro science geek culture. I think both aspects are great and I hope to see a good balance of both in season 6 because I don't think either aspect of the show is or should be diminished by the other,but I know everyone sees the show differently and we all have our own opinions. But, I doubt Howard and Bernadette will only talk about their marriage problems, I think that the writers will give them other more geeky things to talk about as well because they always have imo. I like the space storyline with Howard and Bernadette's love for microorganisms and those have always been a big part of their characters so I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I know I'm still a newbie to TBBT, but I love all five seasons and I think the writers are doing a great job with it. And honestly, the moment I think any different I wont' be posting about how much I dislike the show or where its going I'd just stop watching it if I no longer liked it, but I don't see that happening anytime soon :icon_cheesygrin: And no I'm not saying people shouldn't post if they don't like something because sometimes people just want to express how they feel cuz their upset about the direction of the show so I get that. But, that doesnt mean those of us who like where its going and our optimistic about where its going shouldn't voice our opinions too.

I'll always be honest and maybe i'm just a happy newbie and others have had much longer time than me to get disillusioned with things on the show or the direction of it so I can understand that, but I'm not letting anybody rain on my little geek parade. I'm really digging the Shamy and I can't help that so I'll SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS IF I HAVE TO LOL Cause for me TBBT rules so I'm excited to see where the relationships go and how they progress or struggle.

Also, I just rewatched last year's comic con panel with the actors again and I love how when the cast members are asked to list their favorite moments from the season they all pretty much gave lovely examples of relationship moments rather it was Shamy, or shenny, or Howardette even Johnny mentioned enjoying moment when Penny woke up and saw she was in bed with Raj, which is a moment i know a lot of fans hate, but if the actors love it then thats cool to me. Here's the video if any one is interested.

But, as for the nerd geek culture moments I must say I absolutely love all the Firefly and Star Wars and Harry Potter references on the show because I'm a huge fan of them. I get just as excited when they make a funny pop culture geek reference as I am when they make a funny relationship joke. And BBT has actually made me a lot more interested in science in general.

I'm definitely not a physics or science expert, but I enjoy googling the scientific factoids from the show after I watch an episode to find out if they are true or just to learn what a specific word means. I think its a very smart show that people can actually learn from so of course the science aspect should always be part of the show because there are very few shows on tv that you can learn anything new from at all and still be incredibly enertaining with the way the knowledge is presented.

I think the scientific aspects of the show and geek aspects draw in a lot of fans and I think the relationship aspects and character development bring in a lot of fans too.

So I want to enjoy both as the show continues and I don't want to start complaining about season six until it actual starts because perhaps there maybe be way more funny interesting science geek nerd culture stuff than people think there will be at this moment just because of this one article.

NO I'm saying that if that was all the show was it would get old and I wouldn't like it as much, but the show wasn't just them sitting around in their underwear playing videogames acting superior, they actually went out searching for human contact and even Sheldon learned how to connect with his friends and Penny better in the first three seasons for me that made it all the more interesting and unique. A perfect example is the napkin scene it was lovely moment between Sheldon and Penny, but also had pop culture references and science references in just that one scene so that made it even funnier while still giving the show a heart so I love it!

You said it better than I could sarah7, so thanks. :icon_cheesygrin:

Sarah hit it right on the button with this first statement.

"1. Pilot: The guys meet Penny, Leonard falls for her and tries to impress her facing her ex-boyfriend."

That right there implies that there tells me that is a relationship aspect to this show. Although it was the science that first drew me to The BBT, I believe that an equal blend of the 2 is what makes this show work.

I also believe that the main issue here is that there has become too much relationship and much less science in recent episodes. That is true. That is what needs to be balanced out.

It is also true what Sarah mentioned that "you can't have four pathetic lonely nerds who can't get girls so they sit around in their underwear all day playing video games and acting superior than everyone else in the world just because they like science."

Be for real people. A GREAT song is a great song but do you really want to play it over and over again for 7 years non stop?

reason a, b, c, etc. etc. etc.

B) Sheldon is crazy.

Just so you know, you don't have to try to justify your way of looking at the show. Many people do look at the show like this. (and by the way, I don't want to downplay the time you took putting together a very detailed post).

It's just that I don't see the show this way. I suppose I could create a long list of why the show was predominantly science / geek oriented to justify my position. In fact, I could probably create a list to justify why the show has always been about bottled water (they do drink bottled water in almost every episode).

The point is that different people see things differently depending on their personal interests and psychological makeup.

Those who like the increasing relationship part of the show have come out the winners of this little game. Those, like me, who don't enjoy the relationship part of the show - not so much.

reason a, b, c, etc. etc. etc.

B) Sheldon is crazy.

Just so you know, you don't have to try to justify your way of looking at the show. Many people do look at the show like this. (and by the way, I don't want to downplay the time you took putting together a very detailed post).

It's just that I don't see the show this way. I suppose I could create a long list of why the show was predominantly science / geek oriented to justify my position. In fact, I could probably create a list to justify why the show has always been about bottled water (they do drink bottled water in almost every episode).

The point is that different people see things differently depending on their personal interests and psychological makeup.

Those who like the increasing relationship part of the show have come out the winners of this little game. Those, like me, who don't enjoy the relationship part of the show - not so much.

You just don't get it. For them it's so much fun to rub it in. Deliberate obtuseness helps with that

I've come to the conclusion that trying to explain our point of view to them is like trying to describe a rainbow to a blind man.

Just understand and follow the rule of three

1. They do be crazy

2. Wine is good

3. You can always go outside and play

Why is it whenever original fans say the science/ nerd culture is the component that drew them to watch the show in the first place, people write lists about the human aspects to discount its content in the show?

Just to clarify, my post was not a "neerer, neerer, science is not important at all, the only thing that matters is romance and love and sparkles and glitter" thing, not at all.

Now, what puzzles me a little is when those angry "original fans" (btw, as far I remember, there are also other self-declared "original fans" who defend the relationship content of the show :icon_wink:) point all the time that science/nerd stuff is the main theme of the show, and I simply don't agree. All that is a VERY important part of it, essential, yes, but not the main thing.

As I see it, the show is not about the scientific discoveries and geeky hobbies of a group of friends, it's about the personal lives of a group of friends who happen to be scientists and have geeky hobbies.

Oh yes! or about Thai food, wich is consumed/alluded practically in every episode too! :icon_lol: your joke is clever, but the thing it's not about how many times stuff/situations are mentioned, but about the gravitas said stuff or situation has at the end.

Then you could make a post detailing how stuffed with relationship crap the latest seasons are, and I could make another list of the science/geek stuff the damned fourth and fifth seasons contained, to try to prove my point that, despite your complaints, the show is still very much nerd/geek themed, which lists would be more valid? yours or mine?, or both?

Before we engage in such an extenuating and time-consuming dynamic, I propose we could agree in giving ourselves a pass and accept that both themes, Science/geek AND relationships has been there since the very first episode (in fact, pilot episode only had a few mentions of their PHD's and and Stephen Hawking's talk reference that could be regarded as "scientific stuff", I don't think there's even enough geek/comics culture references in that one!)

Just as Schrödinger's Cat said, if you have only watched the pilot episode, what do you think it's about? about "Science" or about a bunch of guys trying to get the hot chick?

I agree with the bolded part in essence, but I hope you can agree with me that it's equally unfair to try to disregard all scientific/nerd stuff, than to try to deny the relationship stuff that has been there since the very first minutes.

I don't like very much when "angry fans" like you make such a definitive distinction between the "good ol' science fans" and the "disgusting squeeing romance fans", as many posters here have suggested, why do they have to me mutually exclusive things?, why couldn't we have both?

I recognize that now there much more opportunity to show romantic troubles, since there are more couples in the show, as I said before, I understand that many of you find that off-putting, my point is, I don't agree when people say: "The show is turned upside down, it used to be about something enterly different", because I don't think that's true.

And, despite what my diatribe could suggest, I'm not a fan of "relationship stuff" at all. Romantic comedies bore me (really). The first thing that drawn me to the show was the "intelligent talk" (if we want to call it like that). The first episode I saw in it's enterity was the first time Leonard's mother came to visit, I was hooked by the talks between Beverly and Sheldon, and I thought the whole thing was darn funny and the characters endearing in each one's quirky way.

At this point, the only couple I really care about is Sheldon/Amy, and that's precisely because they are not a traditional couple at all, it's their uniqueness what interests me, not the lovey-dovey part.

I like Bernardette/Howard just fine, and I find Leonard/Penny a little tiring, mainly because of how unintersting for me the character of Penny is. Given my already mentioned dislike of romantic comedies, I'd say the only thing that prevents me from agreeing with you in the despising and dissapointing from the show, it's that I still find intriguing and not that cliched the way said relationships are being treated in the show. ShAmy is still my favorite because IMO, it defies definitions and I find it interesting and suprising, but I still have faith in the other two. Yes, seems like we'll see a marriage in the works, but it will be a nerd guy's marriage! (they get married too, don't they? :icon_wink:)

Season's six development will prove either of us right or wrong (and there will be a lot of disagreements about it, of course, and who am I kidding?, there's no such thing as "right" or "wrong") but I'm still giving the show a vote of confidence, to see if they are going a completely cliched way or an special one.

Fans keep saying they want balance, both nerd and relationship themes but this seems to just be lip service. When some of us show disappointment over the news that there will be a lot of Howard and Bernadette's marriage next season, we just get shot down. There is no balance here. If the relationship side of the show is more important to you, why can't you just be honest and just say it?

Fans keep saying they want balance, both nerd and relationship themes but this seems to just be lip service. When some of us show disappointment over the news that there will be a lot of Howard and Bernadette's marriage next season, we just get shot down. There is no balance here. If the relationship side of the show is more important to you, why can't you just be honest and just say it?

In my case, I would if that were my situation, if relationships were the most important thing for me, I'd say it clear and loud. But it's not, so, I don't. :icon_wink:

I'm gonna tell you what is most important for me with the show: To laugh and to be able to relate and continue liking the characters I feel related to because I've always been a nerd too. I'm writing here and not in a "The O.C." forum for a reason! If I were a fan of romance, there are a lot of soaps out there that will be much better suited for my needs, but that's not my thing.

I know that, even when we all are fans of the same show, we all will enjoy different things from it, it's normal if we discuss and disagree, while I still laugh and love it, I understand there are other who don't, we are just exchanging points of view, or at least, I hope. If anything I wrote came across as agressive, or a desperate effort to put others down, I apologize, it's not the intention, I recognize it could because of the way I say things, but I see even the nicest people here have sometimes been called out in their sweetness! ;)

In my case, I would if that were my situation, if relationships were the most important thing for me, I'd say it clear and loud. But it's not, so, I don't. :icon_wink:

I'm gonna tell you what is most important for me with the show: To laugh and to be able to relate and continue liking the characters I feel related to because I've always been a nerd too. I'm writing here and not in a "The O.C." forum for a reason! If I were a fan of romance, there are a lot of soaps out there that will be much better suited for my needs, but that's not my thing.

I know that, even when we all are fans of the same show, we all will enjoy different things from it, it's normal if we discuss and disagree, while I still laugh and love it, I understand there are other who don't, we are just exchanging points of view, or at least, I hope. If anything I wrote came across as agressive, or a desperate effort to put others down, I apologize, it's not the intention, I recognize it could because of the way I say things, but I see even the nicest people here have sometimes been called out in their sweetness! ;)

I love both too. Nerd culture is different, especially their innocence when it comes to relationships, I was just watching the episode when Stuart goes on a date with Penny & she invites him in for 'coffee' and he has no clue what that means.

or the classic Amy-Stuart date. great too; nerdy & about relationships. Just keep that going & the show will continue being wonderful.

Well, I turned to the dark side a long time ago. My friends call me the "cube of hate", because a "ball of hate" has no sharp edges.:icon_cheesygrin:

My point was that any time people bring up criticisms of the show (and those people are just Sooooo wrong!:icon_rolleyes:) there is a group of "usual suspects" that show up to shout them down. Sometimes it's thoughtful, but more often than not, its not. "Well, I like the show so you are wrong" is not a very convincing argument.

As far as the amount of relationship drama there is in the show now, or for that matter the definition of "relationship", we obviously have different views.

See attached chart.

post-2564-134808097902_thumb.jpg

Damn it! How do you get the stupid thing to display full size?:icon_mad: I am obviously retarded.:icon_confused:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

If I click on it, it becomes full sized and readable.

(that's what he said) :icon_lol:

How do you get the stupid thing to display full size

(that's what she said)

If I click on it, it becomes full sized and readable.

If you keep clicking it gets even bigger.

Keep clicking

Keep clicking

Ah, thats good.

"That's the thing about debating, you're just going to get people more entrenched in the view they had in the first place." - Oscar Martinez

I actually hope they do progress the guys in their careers. Sheldon't getting old to have a major breakthrough, Leonard - he just seems pathetic career-wise. Raj? Nothing. Amy had the presitigious article published, Bernadette has a big job. Howard's an astronaut and poor Penny, can't she be the face of hemmorhoids?:icon_wink:

I hope eventually Sheldon wins that Nobel Prize he's always wanted or maybe even better if Leonard wins it and Sheldon is shocked/jealous about it, but then finally has to admit Leonard is a good physicist.

Also, hope Penny gets an audition for on a tv show about a bunch of nerds, but she has to play one of the nerds instead of the pretty girl so she uses the nerdy knowledge that she's memorizes over the years from being around the guys to nail her audition, but the guys get pissed off about it cause they think the show only makes fun of nerds not promotes them so they organize a boycott lol.

Going through this discussion with great interest, but owing to lack of much internet time and the fact that my views are well-known here already (sometimes to my detriment), I'll just say I completely agree with Sarah and Superlove. Also, the flowchart about discussions is intriguing. :)

If they really want to go there (and Prof. Saltzberg can think of a good enough reason).. I would think Sheldon just might get that Nobel in the series finale.