The Girlfriend Disputation

Remember when ...

Howard couldn't get a girlfriend because he was so cheesy/annoying.

Raj couldn't get a girlfriend because of his selective mutism

Leonard couldn't get a girlfriend because ... well, Penny. It's complicated.

Sheldon ... what's his deal? Is it girls? Guys? Sock puppets ... ?

And now we seem to be heading towards "Friends" territory ...

As Amy once said, "I don't like that. Don't do that".

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Raj still can't a girlfriend because of his selective mutism. And it's the only character that has gone completely stale.

Bernadette said it all, "metrosexual my a**". That's the main reason Raj won't be getting a girlfriend anytime in the near future. I think it is much more likely that he will have a new "close friend" that he starts hanging out with.

As for Leonard not having a girlfriend, he seems to be doing fairly good in that department IMO. There's been Leslie, Penny, Priya, and once again Penny. There have been "encounters" with Sheldon's Physicist friend, the rich old lady, and tatoo/comicbook girl. All in all he hasn't been doing too badly.

Bernadette said it all, "metrosexual my a**". That's the main reason Raj won't be getting a girlfriend anytime in the near future. I think it is much more likely that he will have a new "close friend" that he starts hanging out with.

As for Leonard not having a girlfriend, he seems to be doing fairly good in that department IMO. There's been Leslie, Penny, Priya, and once again Penny. There have been "encounters" with Sheldon's Physicist friend, the rich old lady, and tatoo/comicbook girl. All in all he hasn't been doing too badly.

Have to go with Rick on this one the question for some isn't "getting" one but more rather "keeping" one IMHO.

it would be hysterical if Raj got a new 'close friend' and Howard became entrely jealous....I loved when Beverly put them on the spot about their hidden love;-)

I'd vote for Dale as his new companion, as I found him funny & loopy; otherwise I'd go for Stuart and they could haunt Comicon for hot girls...lol.

It's true Raj's character hasn't grown & he's stale; most of us find Leonard/Penny old as well, both those characters need to grow too. If the show stays the same, it too will be stale. The Sheldon/Amy combo isn't going anywhere fast as that would ruin the whole point: Sheldon resisting, trying to be beyond emotion & crafty Amy doing her 'brain monkey' thing.

it would be hysterical if Raj got a new 'close friend' and Howard became entrely jealous....I loved when Beverly put them on the spot about their hidden love;-)

I'd vote for Dale as his new companion, as I found him funny & loopy; otherwise I'd go for Stuart and they could haunt Comicon for hot girls...lol.

It's true Raj's character hasn't grown & he's stale; most of us find Leonard/Penny old as well, both those characters need to grow too. If the show stays the same, it too will be stale. The Sheldon/Amy combo isn't going anywhere fast as that would ruin the whole point: Sheldon resisting, trying to be beyond emotion & crafty Amy doing her 'brain monkey' thing.

I'm not sure what they can do about Raj. The character was drawn in a dead end from the start and there has been no indication that I am aware of how they get him out.

Leonard/Penny are heading for a solution in season six as Prady has indicated that Penny is going to "Grow up". She has been this woman-child for too long and has the L/P relationship at a standstill because she has total control and is afraid to pick a direction to go. If history is any indication, Leonard will help her get growing.

I agree about Sheldon/Amy completely. And giving the ratings for "Shamy-heavy" episodes in season five, the producers will want to stay in that sweet spot for as long as they can.

I'm not sure what they can do about Raj. The character was drawn in a dead end from the start and there has been no indication that I am aware of how they get him out.

Leonard/Penny are heading for a solution in season six as Prady has indicated that Penny is going to "Grow up". She has been this woman-child for too long and has the L/P relationship at a standstill because she has total control and is afraid to pick a direction to go. If history is any indication, Leonard will help her get growing.

I agree about Sheldon/Amy completely. And giving the ratings for "Shamy-heavy" episodes in season five, the producers will want to stay in that sweet spot for as long as they can.

I agree to a degree that Raj was drawn in a dead end from the start, I think they all were. Howard was too sleazy to ever meet a regular girl, Sheldon had no 'deal', Raj's mutism and Leonard and Penny were doomed. What changed was the show's success and that meant the flavour of the gum has to last so much longer than was meant to.

I think I agree with the opening thread "And now we seem to be heading towards "Friends" territory ...

when introduced the girlfriends were foils to the central characters and initially just a juxtaposition. Their development into primary characters seems to have caused Howard, Sheldon to fundamentally change. Amy herself has also shifted [similar to Sheldon].... maybe that is growing, but it isnt as funny. The whole point about all the primary characters and then Amy is that they werent grown up ... just very smart!

I agree with the Raj comments - he seems in a cul-de-sac -- there is only so much mileage in the mute/alcohol line, and there isnt much more.

Penny/Leonard are just Rachel/Ross ...and more so each series

The reason Mrs Cooper is a hit [and she is ] is because she is still a support player to the main theme

I dont know the answer....If I did I would be writing scripts not on a forum :icon_lol:

Hope it all works out [i'd hate it to go the way of scrubs]

• 1 month later...

I remember, when Raj said:

None of you may realize it, but I was very much looking forward to this weekend. It was gonna be like the old days -- the four of us hanging out, playing video games, before you guys all got girlfriends.

Do you have any idea what its like to the be the only one without a girlfriend? Even if I get one someday, I'll still be the guy who got a girl after Sheldon Cooper!

And I do remember the episode 2, Season 1, when Raj and Howard gave each other a hug, because of Penny´s perfume...

I think the producers know what´s going on with Raj since the begining... and, in Season Finale (Season 5) Raj said: "Me too"... so... He loves Howard...

i sometimes wonder if raj is a closeted gay,he hangs out way too much with howard, loves beyonce and imagined a dance number with bernadette, then again for that to work youd have to forget about him sleeping with penny, his inability to speak to women and his crush on bernadette so then i think maybe not

i sometimes wonder if raj is a closeted gay,he hangs out way too much with howard, loves beyonce and imagined a dance number with bernadette, then again for that to work youd have to forget about him sleeping with penny, his inability to speak to women and his crush on bernadette so then i think maybe not

here's a tip: closeted gay guys have sex with girls, marry etc. while in denial; it's very common. From what I see the writers have hinted very broadly that Raj is gay; even Beverly just came out with it.

here's a tip: closeted gay guys have sex with girls, marry etc. while in denial; it's very common. From what I see the writers have hinted very broadly that Raj is gay; even Beverly just came out with it.

And it appears that this season they are going to hint at his being gay even more.

I think I agree with the opening thread "And now we seem to be heading towards "Friends" territory ...

when introduced the girlfriends were foils to the central characters and initially just a juxtaposition. Their development into primary characters seems to have caused Howard, Sheldon to fundamentally change. Amy herself has also shifted [similar to Sheldon].... maybe that is growing, but it isnt as funny. The whole point about all the primary characters and then Amy is that they werent grown up ... just very smart!

I completely agree but it's not a very popular opinion out here. The new audience wants boyfriend/girlfriend relationships so that is what the writers are giving them. There's a bigger audience for that type of show than the unique, refreshing geek humor of the first three seasons. Those of us who preferred original premise of the show are just out of luck. It was great while it lasted.

I think that the early episodes were very funny, but a little to predictable--the guys try to figure out ways to meet girls, fail miserably, etc. They play some geeky games, argue about superheros, do more pathetic girl-chasing, argue with Sheldon, etc.

I think that while every TV show has to more or less maintain the status quo of their original premise, if there's not some growth or change you end up with the Bonanza phenomenon, where any girl the Cartwrights fall in love with has to die or leave or turn out to be a bad person so that they could still bee the three sons living with their dad. And even when Adam went away, Ben had to then adopt another son so there would be three sons...

I think that the progression of the relationships has been relatively slow and to me it makes sense. I'd hate to see the show get stuck in the same rut with the guys (well, except Sheldon) continually being failures at relationships.

In think that the whole point of the original premise of the show was that Penny becomes a catalyst for the guys to grow as this "normal" girl hangs out with them and helps bring them out of their nerd rut.

I think that the early episodes were very funny, but a little to predictable--the guys try to figure out ways to meet girls, fail miserably, etc. They play some geeky games, argue about superheros, do more pathetic girl-chasing, argue with Sheldon, etc.

I think that while every TV show has to more or less maintain the status quo of their original premise, if there's not some growth or change you end up with the Bonanza phenomenon, where any girl the Cartwrights fall in love with has to die or leave or turn out to be a bad person so that they could still bee the three sons living with their dad. And even when Adam went away, Ben had to then adopt another son so there would be three sons...

I think that the progression of the relationships has been relatively slow and to me it makes sense. I'd hate to see the show get stuck in the same rut with the guys (well, except Sheldon) continually being failures at relationships.

In think that the whole point of the original premise of the show was that Penny becomes a catalyst for the guys to grow as this "normal" girl hangs out with them and helps bring them out of their nerd rut.

I probably don't need to describe just how deeply I agree with you. :)

Oh god no!!! While I agree that change is enviable for most long running shows, I don't agree that you can fault the absolute genius of the first few seasons. Or that they are more predictable in comparison to what we have now.

I agree Raj's Character is Gay, Maybe a Closet Gay but Gay. Even Prya said her Family thought he was. At the same time Howard is showing signs of over compensation as a Straight man. Is he not trying to cover up some Gay feels? Yes Just because he is married doesn't stop him from being gay.

Leonard's Character is more of a stud than I would think most Nerds are. 3 main girl friend and several interludes or one night stands. We might even count Penny twice so he has had 4 stead Girl Friends in 5 years.

Now in real Life Raj & Howard are Married but Leonard Isn't. Sheldon is Gay in real life and has a Husband/wife which ever. Are the writer turning the table and Letting Straight Guys Play Gays and Gays play straights.

I agree Raj's Character is Gay, Maybe a Closet Gay but Gay. Even Prya said her Family thought he was. At the same time Howard is showing signs of over compensation as a Straight man. Is he not trying to cover up some Gay feels? Yes Just because he is married doesn't stop him from being gay.

Leonard's Character is more of a stud than I would think most Nerds are. 3 main girl friend and several interludes or one night stands. We might even count Penny twice so he has had 4 stead Girl Friends in 5 years.

Now in real Life Raj & Howard are Married but Leonard Isn't. Sheldon is Gay in real life and has a Husband/wife which ever. Are the writer turning the table and Letting Straight Guys Play Gays and Gays play straights.

:icon_confused: I don't think they are purposely doing that. Interesting idea that Howard is gay. I don't agree but then I'm not totally convinced Raj is. Wouldn't it spoil the joke? I thought you were going to go on to say Leonard was over compensating and must be gay as well. They're all gay, everybody's gay. :icon_lol: