The Girlfriend Disputation

i sometimes wonder if raj is a closeted gay,he hangs out way too much with howard, loves beyonce and imagined a dance number with bernadette, then again for that to work youd have to forget about him sleeping with penny, his inability to speak to women and his crush on bernadette so then i think maybe not

here's a tip: closeted gay guys have sex with girls, marry etc. while in denial; it's very common. From what I see the writers have hinted very broadly that Raj is gay; even Beverly just came out with it.

I agree Raj's Character is Gay, Maybe a Closet Gay but Gay. Even Prya said her Family thought he was. At the same time Howard is showing signs of over compensation as a Straight man. Is he not trying to cover up some Gay feels? Yes Just because he is married doesn't stop him from being gay.

Leonard's Character is more of a stud than I would think most Nerds are. 3 main girl friend and several interludes or one night stands. We might even count Penny twice so he has had 4 stead Girl Friends in 5 years.

Now in real Life Raj & Howard are Married but Leonard Isn't. Sheldon is Gay in real life and has a Husband/wife which ever. Are the writer turning the table and Letting Straight Guys Play Gays and Gays play straights.

:icon_confused: I don't think they are purposely doing that. Interesting idea that Howard is gay. I don't agree but then I'm not totally convinced Raj is. Wouldn't it spoil the joke? I thought you were going to go on to say Leonard was over compensating and must be gay as well. They're all gay, everybody's gay. :icon_lol:

Jim Parsons has a partner; if they married he'd have a husband. That's the terminology no big deal. I'm pretty clueless about gay male culture (can only speak for the lesbians) but yeah Howard & Raj do have a 'thing' going on, which I find very funny. And Howard does wildly overcompensate. My gay friends do say this is the gayest sitcom though the two gay-in-real-life characters, Jim & Sara (leslie winkle) are played so straight:icon_biggrin:

Leonard makes out like a bandit; I had tons of male nerd friends & they never were like that. On the other hand I know tons of girls & they never behaved like Penny either.

Jim Parsons has a partner; if they married he'd have a husband. That's the terminology no big deal. I'm pretty clueless about gay male culture (can only speak for the lesbians) but yeah Howard & Raj do have a 'thing' going on, which I find very funny. And Howard does wildly overcompensate. My gay friends do say this is the gayest sitcom though the two gay-in-real-life characters, Jim & Sara (leslie winkle) are played so straight:icon_biggrin:

Leonard makes out like a bandit; I had tons of male nerd friends & they never were like that. On the other hand I know tons of girls & they never behaved like Penny either.

I was under the impression Jim Parsons Married his Boy Friend Todd Spiewak. Sara Gilbert just broke up with her S.O. of 10 years. I am not sure who got their adopted child.

Neil Patrick Harris (defacto president of Hollywood’s gay mafia) plays the biggest womanizer on TV. The point here is actors are actors and in many cases totally different from their Character.

Sheldon needed a girlfriend at some point in the series to show off just how someone like him, whose quirks, habits and idiosyncrasies we all became familiar with, would act in a relationship situation. Although I'm not sure why one of the writers stated that there was no reason for changing Sheldon being single when they proceeded to do so anyway, I think it was inevitable. Not having Sheldon play 'the relationship game' was just going to pique all the curiosity in the world as to how he would behave if he did, in that I found myself a lot more intrigued by and interested in a romance for somebody like him than for someone who would just have all of the same issues in a relationship that we've already seen before in... "normal" people. So far, I haven't been disappointed at all, and I haven't considered that he's just better off alone. That said, I hope the Shamy relationship will enable Sheldon to develop emotionally and become a little bit more sensitive, at least toward Amy, as he (hopefully) gets a better grasp on others' feelings (perhaps providing support at some point in a way that doesn't solely involve the social protocol, a 'hot beverage'), given that he'll have to play a part in keeping a relationship alive, even one like Shamy, which obviously is made up of far different stuff to ordinary couplings.

Keep in mind, in some respects I'm very new to this series. I used to watch reruns all the time on TV when I caught it airing, but I buckled down and watched the series chronologically and decided to keep a better track of the show via the internet because I'm just awful at following television series on a week-to-week basis. I mention this because I'm not sure whether I referenced what the writer said correctly; I only recall reading something of the sort on Wikipedia, so I apologise if I was wrong.

Anyway, in short, I'm happy Sheldon got set up with Amy. She's hilarious ("I'M DRUNK.") and I haven't found her hitting on Penny or her attitude in general as annoying as some others whose rants and raves I've read on here. She got a little too much with the drunken fiending for Sheldon's cock every now and again, but the way Sheldon responds to her 'advances' makes them worth it. That being said, I actually enjoy Sheldon/Penny scenes more than Sheldon/Amy scenes, purely because I find that the two characters have a more entertaining dynamic in general (this would go completely out the window if they were together, though).

As for the other couples, having watched the entire series over the last week or two, Leonard and Penny are an utter trainwreck. I would regurgitate the same reasoning as to why they just have no substance as a couple whatsoever apart from the ongoing issues that make us all oh-so-aware that they ARE an on-again-off-again couple, but that would be redundant. I've resigned myself to the fact that they're going to end up together at the end. As insufferable as I find Leonard's character (the episode where they lie to her dad about still being together and Leonard milks it for all it's worth made me want to be physically ill), Penny hit kind of a new low for me with the almost-sleeping-with-Raj thing (I found it hilarious that she took solace in never actually having sex with him, when she was so absolutely blind that she would have anyway...), and I don't really pity her anymore because as puzzling as I find it that she has any personal connection toward Leonard that goes any deeper than appreciation for the perks she gets from their little 'thing', she's so vapid and asinine at times that she brings a lot of it onto herself. Whatever -- the destination is not the problem (that they'll end up together), I just wish the journey wasn't so cringeworthy.

Bernadette is amazing. I don't like Howard very much, but I prefer their marriage to his pseudo-womanizing. And at this point I find myself not giving a rat's ass as to what Raj does, not even because I don't like him that much, but because he just feels superfluous. There's just... nothing interesting involving him anymore that doesn't completely shame his entire character or concern his latent homosexuality. It's a lot better for him to play it solo, though.

Anyway, to wrap it up, Sheldon and Howard being in (lasting) relationships get the green light for me, and Leonard/Penny is something that I'll live with but I'll probably never find any love for it. So... things aren't so bad for me. I found the humour of Season 4 to be the worst, but I don't feel like the show suffered any decline on the part of the 'matchmaking' of the main characters.

As long as I have Jim Parsons to ogle every episode, I'm good. And hey, I might as well recant my condemnation of Amy's desperate come-ons. I'd probably do the same in her position.

gomess - I agree very much with what you write about Sheldon/Amy. Except that I wouldn't say I enjoy Sheldon/Penny scenes more than Sheldon/Amy scenes - I think I enjoy them equally, but in different ways. S/P more because of their comedic value, and S/A more because of the new and different side of Sheldon we get to see.

As long as I have Jim Parsons to ogle every episode, I'm good.

I also can't disagree with this. :p

Fruit Loop - Jim isn't married to Todd, as far as we know. They are live-in partners, as annieogly says.