Sheldon??

Bazinga12

Why does Sheldon live in a small cramped up apartment? And why does he work as a physicist?? His like so intelligent he should be working with the government or something.

He's had trouble in the past keeping secrets and obtaining security clearances.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

If only intelligent people would work for the goverments, the world wouldn't be as it is, don't you think? LOL

What is wrong with being a Physicist anyway? He works doing what he loves. That's the most intelligent option.

Physicists don't earn much despite their highly educated background, they should be though! I guess thats why he shares an apartment? Or another possibility is that he is still going through the 'child' phase and has trouble living indepently.

Hmm regarding the government, I don't think he wants to. His main goal is to win the nobel prize. He won't be able to achieve that if he works in that kind of an environment.

Sheldon is a theoretical physicist, he's only interested in grand theories, practical stuff is what Leonard and Howard do & that would net them money. Who pays for giant theories about the universe? Universities. I'd say as a star he'd command a good salary, as other universities would want him, but he shares his apartment because really who would drive him to work...lol

I would expect to find a theoretical physicist working at a major university. Even the physicists who work for the government do so indirectly through government grants. As for his apartment, I don't think that it is a matter of what he can afford as much as what he actually needs or wants. In other words, he could afford more, as indicated by the large amount of un-cashed pay checks, but he doesn't want anything larger and likes where he lives. In addition, I think that he took a roommate because he did desire some minor human contact but more importantly he wanted someone to provide transportation and pick up take out dinners.

I can't believe no one has pointed out that the boys' apartment is not cramped. I would say Penny's is, but not the guys'. They each have their own bedroom, work space, the kitchen is new-looking and adequate, the bathroom is also bigger than Penny's, and the main room has plenty of space for guests. I agree that Sheldon could very probably afford a bigger place, but he has his priorities, and excess is not one of them. He's comfortable where he is, and it would be illogical to move to a bigger place just because he's able to. Remember when Leonard moved in, all Sheldon had for furniture were lawn chairs. Reminds me of my husband's apartment before I moved in. haha!

Why does Sheldon live in a small cramped up apartment? And why does he work as a physicist?? His like so intelligent he should be working with the government or something.

why do we care:icon_wink:

I would expect to find a theoretical physicist working at a major university. Even the physicists who work for the government do so indirectly through government grants. As for his apartment, I don't think that it is a matter of what he can afford as much as what he actually needs or wants. In other words, he could afford more, as indicated by the large amount of un-cashed pay checks, but he doesn't want anything larger and likes where he lives. In addition, I think that he took a roommate because he did desire some minor human contact but more importantly he wanted someone to provide transportation and pick up take out dinners.

TBBT has taken great liberties with the real-life earnings of the guys especially Leonard and Howard. This is from PhysicsWorld.com in 2011:

"According to this study by the US website PayScale, physicists are the sixth-highest-earning group of graduates, with a median salary of $98,800 (just under £60k) after at least 10 years in the workforce. Indeed, physics was one of only three non-engineering majors to crack the top ten, along with computer science and economics. Starting salaries for physicists aren’t bad either: $51,100, or a respectable 14th on the same list of 75 different subjects".

If Leonard, a PH.D, also does some teaching at CalTech he is easily over $110,000 a year. And according to Leonard during his "Dream" date with Penny he is working on a missile killing laser grant for the Feds (Government contractors will pay dearly on that one). Even he said "the money's good". But if they portrayed Leonard's economic status realistically, no way he has to share an apartment with Sheldon or more importantly, would have ever met Penny socially. Its a stretch already that Penny is living in that apartment building on a waitress' salary while trying to finance a car and acting lessons without a roommate.

As for Howard, the portrayal of his station borders on the ridiculous. A master engineer from MIT and designer of major space station and Mars rover components who lives with his mother and drives a motor scooter and has a microbiologist wife who vastly out earns him in her first year on the job is ludicrous. He would most likely clear more then Leonard, according to how many patents he would have (and he would have some, given the trust NASA has in him). By the way, the number one highest paying job? Aerospace engineer at a median of $115,000.

Of course, we give the show liberties because it would be tough to make the premise work otherwise. They would not have to make these adjustment if the show was about real geeky, nerdy guys, like Stuart. The foursome are really very successful men who like nerdy things.

All I know is, pharmaceutical companies pay big. My sister works for one and she earns a lot.

They sure do pay big. But Bernie's not out earning Howard. Not in her first year on the job and is not likely to do so in the future. Howard's job is ranked number one in salary for college grads.

What is true is in real life they would be a very high income household.

These figures are surprising to me. I have a friend who worked for Imperial College London as a physicist, researching dark matter. He wasn't paid very much. Maybe universities don't have the budget, so can't pay larger salaries as you would expect elsewhere. I don't know what his job title was though.

Bernadette has her Doctorate and Howard has a Masters degree. There will be a dependency in their salaries, even if Bernadette is just starting out.

Although I don't think that neither Sheldon nor Leonard would be considered "rich" they are doing alright. $100K a year is not big bucks but it is above the national average. That being said, Sheldon must have very little in expenses if he is able to keep several uncashed paychecks in a drawer. I think that both Sheldon and Leonard could live in a larger apartment if they wanted, it is just not important to them at this point in their lives. Perhaps later in life they may get married and start a family, then things will change. Right now they are happy playing Halo, buying their comic books and keeping their computers top of the line, along with buying the occasional collectible action figure. In Sheldon's case especially, there are some things that just don't interest him. He doesn't want new furniture, he likes what he has and does not want to change. He doesn't want to drive. He is not interested in traveling to foreign countries with the exception of Switzerland (Haydon collider), is not interested in expensive clothes or jewelry, nor expensive restaurants. Frankly I think that allot of us would do well to follow Sheldon's example.

These figures are surprising to me. I have a friend who worked for Imperial College London as a physicist, researching dark matter. He wasn't paid very much. Maybe universities don't have the budget, so can't pay larger salaries as you would expect elsewhere. I don't know what his job title was though.

Only Leonard was mentioned for a good reason. He is an experimental physicist who works on applying breakthroughs to practical use. He is making things that can make corporations who sell to the government or industry big money. That's why he would get large grants. As a former government contractor, Leonard and Howard are pure gold:icon_biggrin:

A theoretical physicist like Sheldon, who refuses to teach or an astrophysicist like Raj are good for the prestige of an institution like Cal Tech and would make decent money (60 to 80K) after some time in their job but their research would not be tied to a revenue stream at the end. They work for the pure benefit of the advancement of science, which is quite noble.

Even Einstein tried to invent an improved refrigerator back in the 1930's. He wanted to get "Paid"!!!

Only Leonard was mentioned for a good reason. He is an experimental physicist who works on applying breakthroughs to practical use. He is making things that can make corporations who sell to the government or industry big money. That's why he would get large grants. As a former government contractor, Leonard and Howard are pure gold:icon_biggrin:

A theoretical physicist like Sheldon, who refuses to teach or an astrophysicist like Raj are good for the prestige of an institution like Cal Tech and would make decent money (60 to 80K) after some time in their job but their research would not be tied to a revenue stream at the end. They work for the pure benefit of the advancement of science, which is quite noble.

Even Einstein tried to invent an improved refrigerator back in the 1930's. He wanted to get "Paid"!!!

True, the US is probably different to UK as well. I suppose my friends dark matter job must be theoretical physics and has no application. I know he didn't earn very much money even though he is a Dr. This is something we all find quite funny. He also had to spend two weeks down a hole, drilled miles in to the earths core to take measurements every 3 months. This was to avoid background radiation from everything above ground but it went on for years. Its definitely something they do for the love of science, can't be much fun! :icon_biggrin:

True, the US is probably different to UK as well. I suppose my friends dark matter job must be theoretical physics and has no application. I know he didn't earn very much money even though he is a Dr. This is something we all find quite funny. He also had to spend two weeks down a hole, drilled miles in to the earths core to take measurements every 3 months. This was to avoid background radiation from everything above ground but it went on for years. Its definitely something they do for the love of science, can't be much fun! :icon_biggrin:

Fascinating Clover; loved hearing about your friend.

I've lived in Europe so let me explain. British & European universities are funded by the gov't and until lately never were involved in fundraising, so the salaries are modest to low. In the U.S. the private and State Universities are always fundraising, through alumni associations, then business, then rich patrons (remember Leonard being a successful gigolo for Mrs Latham) Famous universities have cash & higher salaries. So a theoretical physicist who is a rising star would be wooed and have a nice income.

What's wonderful is devotion to science, Sheldon has what he needs, he's impervious to society's message about what he should want, which is why he's so great.

What's wonderful is devotion to science, Sheldon has what he needs, he's impervious to society's message about what he should want, which is why he's so great.

Sheldon's rather dismissive and snobbish attitude about Leonard and Howard's contribution to science comes from a real place in their community. To Sheldon science is a calling and he and Raj, who work together, are like its high priests. To Sheldon, Leonard and Howard make "Do Dads" for hire, often based on the theoretical work of scientist like himself. Leonard's lasers are off-shoots of Einsteins paper on the properties of light. Einstein, in fact, thought little of his son Hans Albert's work for most of his life because he had a PH.D in Engineering.

Such is the devotion to pure science.

Maybe he isn't quite as smart as he thinks he is? :)

Left Brian / Right Brian Syndrome:

While Sheldon is very smart in Science he lack the every day common sense and is Actually a Child in a Man's body. Sheldon can't function on his own and is very depend on others. Look at how Penny & Leonard treat him like he is their child.

Therefore Sheldon has a Room mate more as SERVICE PROVIDER than because of Economics. Sheldon told Penny he only spends 47% on his disposable income to live when loaning her Money. In another show he had Stacks of un-cashed Pay Checks in his desk.

The Real Reason Sheldon lives with a Room Mate and act so Odd is. IT IS A TV SHOW.

I think fans may go ballistic if this ever happens cause people usually are opposed to massive changes and I do love their apartment too, but I could see one day possibly depending on how long show goes Sheldon moving in with Amy and Leonard moving in with Penny. Or even Penny not being able to afford her apartment anymore like she talked about once before and having to move into a new apartment with Amy just to live, prompting the guys to then move too just to be across the hall from Penny again, but of course through a bit of cheesy tv magic their new apartment building would have almost exact same layout as their current one only with slight changes kind of like when the guys lived up at the North Pole for awhile the layout of their cabin was almost exactly same as Sheldon and Leonard's apartment minus the bedrooms. And Penny living with Amy would be hilarious in many ways because of how Amy always acts around Penny.

But as for Sheldon, it will be very hard to get him to ever leave that place because he doesn't like change and he is a big Man-child who must live with someone to help take care of him when he's sick, drive him everywhere and make him beverages when he's upset.

However, he seemed to enjoy it when Raj moved in as roommate pro temp, so that tells me Sheldon isn't just depended on Leonard because its Leonard and would be willing to exchange him for someone he thought made a better roommate, so eventually he might let Amy move into his apartment because they share common interest and he already has an agreement with her similar to his roommate one. Leonard would then either move across the hall in with Penny or finally get his own place nearby, but still hang out in his old apartment all the time with Sheldon, but not be have to be his man servant because that be Amy's job. But again this would only happen in like maybe season 8 or 9 if show even lasts that long.

Raj made a good roommate, temporarily but I don't know if he would have last 7 years living with Sheldon like Leonard has. When Raj and Sheldon worked together they ended up having a big fight and blowing up a parrot.

Sheldon may give the impression he could exchange Leonard for someone else but he can be a contradiction. What he believes he should think and his actions don't always match up. How many times did he say 'Amy is a girl, she is not my girlfriend' ? He can state a fact with such conviction and totally convince everyone but then do the complete opposite. It's part of what makes him so interesting.

Raj made a good roommate, temporarily but I don't know if he would have last 7 years living with Sheldon like Leonard has. When Raj and Sheldon worked together they ended up having a big fight and blowing up a parrot.

Sheldon may give the impression he could exchange Leonard for someone else but he can be a contradiction. What he believes he should think and his actions don't always match up. How many times did he say 'Amy is a girl, she is not my girlfriend' ? He can state a fact with such conviction and totally convince everyone but then do the complete opposite. It's part of what makes him so interesting.

Only Leonard could put up with Sheldon that long and he does it only because Sheldon saved his life from the rocket fuel explosion that blew up the elevator. Otherwise, as Leonard told Penny, he would have been long gone.