Sheldon and Amy's relationship in Season 6 ?

It isn't that the Shamy relationship (or the other relationships on TBBT) is like the relationships on Friends. It is that the Shamy relationship exists at all that is part of turning TBBT into Friends. That is where the Friends comparisons are coming from.

The equivalence is that Friends was about relationships and now TBBT is also mostly about relationships. That is the point of contention (for some of us). The time spent on relationships generally is crowding out the other aspects of the show that some of us were attracted to in the first place.

Well said!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like Amy she has changed a lot (for the better) from the beginning of season 4 when she was a bit robotic like when she spoke to people and I think Sheldon is falling big time for her

I disagree completely, specially whe you say that "the relationship that is changing the show into "Friends" regarding Sheldon & Amy's relationship. If there is one thing that can be said abou

I want Wil Wheaton to get involved in their relationship this season (he has with LP and HB). It would be great, and Wil could get his name back on Sheldon's list (needed).

Posted Images

Will the people who are attracted to the relationship aspect of the show and people who are more attracted to the nerd science fiction geek culture aspect of the show ever be able to get along on here? I mean look if people don't like that the show is not the way they want it to be and want a place to vent their frustration thats one thing. But if the people who like relationships want a place where they can talk about their relationships on BBT that they actually enjoy without being criticized or having to read comments about how its turning the show into something else then I think the senseable respectful thing to do would be to create two different threads. Though I've seen several about the shamy relationship already on this board, but they all keep turning into bickering between those who do and those that do not picking it apart.

But, it would be nice if there was places for the fans of the SHAMY relationship to discuss it without being criticized for liking it and specific threads just for the people who dislike all the relationships or the direction BBT has gone the past few years to go and comment there and vent without posting their opinions on the threads of the people who actually happen to like the show. It would be more polite is all I'm saying to not be so negative when its obvious that people are asking for postive feedback instead. And I'm not saying this to attack anybody or to say that people who don't like the relationships don't have a right to their own opinion because you all absolutely do. But, that doesn't meant that people who disagree with your opinion care to read your comments all the time or be made to feel like they are some how wrong or bad just because they happen to like these relationships.

Also, i'm sorry but to me the fact that BBT is getting Emmy nominations for the show now when it didn't in early seasons is plenty good indication that these writers are doing something right. Because these Emmy nominations and the last two wins for Jim Parsons do a lot to help not only the popularity of the show, but also the careers of everyone involved in the show because it looks good on their resumes that they were a part of an Emmy winning/nominated program.

Now sure we can always debate whether the show is turning into Friends all day, but no matter what that debate isnt going to make the people who like the way BBT is and relationships on it change their minds and its not going to make the people who dislike it change their minds either. So instead of arguing, complaining at and nitpicking each other over and over back and forth on several different threads wouldn't it be a lot easier and less aggravating for everyone if we allowed this thread created by someone who likes this relationship to be able to discuss that with people who like this relationship also and for the people who do not to create their own thread to discuss how much they don't without offending those that do enjoy them especially since nothing any of us say or argue about here on this site is going to change anything that happens on the show.

The writers are going to write what they want to write and all we can do is either watch or not watch, but we can't force them to change or force others to like or dislike it. We all have to accept it for what it is rather we like it or not and hopefully try to find ways to enjoy the show in the long run because it won't last forever thats for sure. And if anyone here whether they like or dislike the relationships on the show think they have the right to shove their opinions onto others just so they can feel superior to those who disagree then I think thats real problem here and not anything that is happening on a fictional tv show amongst characters that are not real. I'm just saying lets all follow golden rule here and treat each other with kindness and respect despite any differences in opinions we may have so this doesn't have to turn into a back and forth petty fighting thread when that is obviously not what this thread is meant to be about regardless of what side any of us are on.

So please, I think that it would be very kind thing to do to allow the people who enjoy the Shamy relationship to have this thread since it was started by someone who enjoys the relationship based on their comments and that instead the people who don't like it could create their own thread to discuss their dislike of it instead of posting here so they don't offend those that do. Its just more polite than arguing back and forth to no end, except only to aggravate each other. :)

And I think people who are somewhere in the middle and actually like to debate could even start a seperate thread just for that labeled BBT/FRIENDS DEBATE or the NERD FRIENDS DEBATE so everyone who reads it knows that there will be lots of back and forth between various opinions that disagree with each other so those that do not want to engage in contentious argumentative behavior on every single thread and those that do not want to debate the show can just choose not to read that thread and those who do not like the relationships on show could also choose not to read threads posted by and for those who do so they are also not offended or irritated by it.

As Spock would say "its only logical." ;)

@SuperLoveLexi -well said. Except that (from experience) I don't think it will help to ask for this kind of courtesy on this forum. For friendly discussions among people liking/disliking a particular aspect of the show, please feel free to visit the Lollipop Guild, where, for example, they even have separate threads for Shenny and Shamy fans and however much we dislike each other's point of view, we DON'T DROP IN AND RAIN ON EACH OTHER'S PARADE. There is also a separate thread for shipping arguments for those who find such discussions to their taste.

I have myself sometimes gone into specific hate threads here, and tried to put my own counter-arguments. However, I don't do that any more; those who hate the way things are currently going have a right to hate on it - perhaps I'm just learning from the other forum. It just seems more civilized that way. But of course, if someone vents their dislike in a general thread or even a shipping thread then there will be rejoinders.

Aaaaaaah, so you want to live in a bubble where you only hear opinions you agree with. Good luck with that.

I don't think any of us have any issues with arguing. There are times and places for that, and I think there should be separate threads for that. We just want some safe places where we can have fan discussions without constantly being interrupted by snide put-downs.

It isn't that the Shamy relationship (or the other relationships on TBBT) is like the relationships on Friends. It is that the Shamy relationship exists at all that is part of turning TBBT into Friends. That is where the Friends comparisons are coming from.

The equivalence is that Friends was about relationships and now TBBT is also mostly about relationships. That is the point of contention (for some of us). The time spent on relationships generally is crowding out the other aspects of the show that some of us were attracted to in the first place.

Then why Friends, in particular? I would think there are dozens of shows, past and present, which depict relationships. (In fact almost all of them). The 'Friends' allegation would be justified only if the relationships on this show are somehow identical or very similar to the relationships on Friends. And at least the Shamy relationship is very, very far from it. As Sursonica says, the Leonard/Penny relationship can still be compared with the Friends style.

Then why Friends, in particular? I would think there are dozens of shows, past and present, which depict relationships. (In fact almost all of them). The 'Friends' allegation would be justified only if the relationships on this show are somehow identical or very similar to the relationships on Friends. And at least the Shamy relationship is very, very far from it. As Sursonica says, the Leonard/Penny relationship can still be compared with the Friends style.

I think people have picked Friends for comparison because everyone has heard of it and it was all about friendships (relationships). That was the point of that show. It seems like an obvious choice to me as the parallel in terms of relationship focus seems so clear to those of us who don't like that growing aspect of TBBT.

I can understand why people who like relationship focused shows wouldn't see it in the same way. The relationships on TBBT - especially shamy - are quite different from those on Friends. But then what show does have relationships like those on TBBT? If that was a requirement for the comparison, then there couldn't be one. The similarity is in the relationship focus - how much time is spent per episode on relationships. Also in how much conflict and negativity that the relationships bring to the show.

I know, I know, "conflict and negativity" are loaded words. Some might say instead "complexity and opportunities for character growth". It all depends on whether you enjoy that sort of thing.

So please, I think that it would be very kind thing to do to allow the people who enjoy the Shamy relationship to have this thread since it was started by someone who enjoys the relationship based on their comments and that instead the people who don't like it could create their own thread to discuss their dislike of it instead of posting here so they don't offend those that do. Its just more polite than arguing back and forth to no end, except only to aggravate each other.

Hmm. This thread is called "Sheldon and Amy's relationship in Season 6?". That sounds like a general purpose kind of thread to me. Perhaps it should have been called "Fluffy Shamy Bunnies" instead so we would all know that it is limited to lollipop guild members.

Note that the "I seriously hate AFF" had its share of posts defending Amy. The defenders may have been debated, but they weren't told stop posting on the thread.

I once had someone try to tell me to stop posting on a thread that I originated. Its not the debates that bother me, it is the debate degenerating into a string of repetitive replies. "Relationships are ruining the show." "No, they're not. They make the show more realistic." "I want science, not relationships." "I want relationships with my science." And so on...

Aauuuggghhhh!!!!!!!

I think people have picked Friends for comparison because everyone has heard of it and it was all about friendships (relationships). That was the point of that show. It seems like an obvious choice to me as the parallel in terms of relationship focus seems so clear to those of us who don't like that growing aspect of TBBT.

I can understand why people who like relationship focused shows wouldn't see it in the same way. The relationships on TBBT - especially shamy - are quite different from those on Friends. But then what show does have relationships like those on TBBT? If that was a requirement for the comparison, then there couldn't be one. The similarity is in the relationship focus - how much time is spent per episode on relationships. Also in how much conflict and negativity that the relationships bring to the show.

I know, I know, "conflict and negativity" are loaded words. Some might say instead "complexity and opportunities for character growth". It all depends on whether you enjoy that sort of thing.

This is an interesting argument. You mean that being in real relationships brings more 'conflict and negativity' than being relentlessly frustrated by the unsuccessful pursuit of the opposite sex?

Note that the "I seriously hate AFF" had its share of posts defending Amy. The defenders may have been debated, but they weren't told stop posting on the thread.

Maybe because love trumps hate?

Ok, I know Penny was just making that up.

Hmm. This thread is called "Sheldon and Amy's relationship in Season 6?". That sounds like a general purpose kind of thread to me. Perhaps it should have been called "Fluffy Shamy Bunnies" instead so we would all know that it is limited to lollipop guild members.

I would be okay with a title change. :)

This is an interesting argument. You mean that being in real relationships brings more 'conflict and negativity' than being relentlessly frustrated by the unsuccessful pursuit of the opposite sex?

Relationships don't necessarily mean conflict and negativity. It's just that that seems to be what sells. I wouldn't mind the relationships as much if they were happy. But we get the Penny / Leonard on/off/on/off relationship drama. We get Raj and Penny hooking up. We get Priya heading back to India without telling Leonard until the last minute and then sleeping with someone else. We get Penny hooking up with Zack for New Years even though she doesn't really like him. We get Leonard trying to figure out how to hook up with Comic book girl while trying to stay hooked up with Priya. We get a Raj / Howard / whoever threesome that almost derails the wedding. We get Sheldon propositioning Amy when Amy is on a date with Stuart. We get Raj whining and bitching because he can't hook up with anyone. Etc. Etc. Etc.

And then they say "Oh gee, these are supposed to be geek scientists so we'll throw Hawking in and pretend that his cameo gives the show geek cred".

Relationships don't necessarily mean conflict and negativity. It's just that that seems to be what sells. I wouldn't mind the relationships as much if they were happy. But we get the Penny / Leonard on/off/on/off relationship drama. We get Raj and Penny hooking up. We get Priya heading back to India without telling Leonard until the last minute and then sleeping with someone else. We get Penny hooking up with Zack for New Years even though she doesn't really like him. We get Leonard trying to figure out how to hook up with Comic book girl while trying to stay hooked up with Priya. We get a Raj / Howard / whoever threesome that almost derails the wedding. We get Sheldon propositioning Amy when Amy is on a date with Stuart. We get Raj whining and bitching because he can't hook up with anyone. Etc. Etc. Etc.

And then they say "Oh gee, these are supposed to be geek scientists so we'll throw Hawking in and pretend that his cameo gives the show geek cred".

I'll give you that the Leonard/Penny friction (as well as Howard/Bernadette) at times involve more drama than I'm interested in seeing. Much of the L/P drama actually happened through season 3, so it's not a new development.

The Sheldon/Amy relationship has largely steered clear of this aspect, apart from Weekend Vortex. I didn't see the proposition in Flaming Spittoon as negative at all, because the Amy/Stuart date was never depicted as a serious link-up. It was just a catalyst for Sheldon getting a wake-up call to what he really wanted.

As for poor Raj whining because he can't hook up.. a) all three guys did their fair share of such whining during the early seasons, and B) you have no idea how much whining and bitching actually goes on in research campuses, where there are a number of frustrated unpaired males!

I once had someone try to tell me to stop posting on a thread that I originated. Its not the debates that bother me, it is the debate degenerating into a string of repetative replies. "Relationships are ruining the show." "No, they're not. They make the show more realistic." "I want science, not relationships." "I want relationships with my science." And so on...

Aauuuggghhhh!!!!!!!

THIS

HeWolf had clearly pointed out the problem that originated my rants. No, please, don't jump in anger pals, nobody is trying to restrict your freedom of speech, it's not the "debate" what puts me off, it's the same worn out complaint repeated over, and over, and over, and over, and over again:

The downhill slide to "Friends" continues............

agreed. depressing. just depressing.

Thirded.

Ugh. And yet there are those who still deny that TBBT is becomng "Friends". It would be, like, SOOOO COOOOOOL:icon_rolleyes:

What I see here is people complaining about other people talking about relationships.....in a relationship-themed thread!

And they do using the same old mantra ("It's turning into Friends!"), one that it's not even directly related to the couple discussed here.

As I said before, imagine you open a thread to discuss all that old nerdy and geeky stuff you loved (and, in your opinion, is not there anymore) and a bunch of us were there and flooded it with couples' pics and conversation about them, and to tell you off for being so "squared" and for "not embracing the show's new spirit".

I'm not talking about general discussion in general threads or those dedicated to every episode, we have had that angry tango between the old-times lovers and the new-times enthusiasts several times before, I'm talking about direct hijaking, to spoil other people's fun just for the sake of it.

Wouldn't you be tempted to ask me: "Why are you doing this?", at least once?

Its therapeutic.

:fi_lone_ranger:

same worn out complaint repeated over, and over, and over, and over, and over again:

You might not believe this, and I can't speak for the others who share my view, but I am not replying to you. I know where you stand. I am posting to reach the hundreds (dozens?... threesome?) of lurkers who watch these threads and never post, and who might have the same opinion as me. The fact that the same topic comes up again and again is because new people keep bringing it up, and keep getting slammed for daring to criticize the show. Someone should defend that point of view, because its a valid one. Maybe we should be called the loyal opposition.

This is a pretty open forum. A thread can be started on almost any semi-related topic, as far as I can tell. On the other hand, over at the Lollypop Guild, each thread is tightly controlled and kept on topic by the smurf-ette mafia that runs the place. Sounds like a "safe" place to me. Or a giant echo chamber.

On topic:

I think Sheldon should take Amy for a drive and then.....post-2564-134808098188_thumb.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brain_That_Wouldn't_Die

Its therapeutic.

same worn out complaint repeated over, and over, and over, and over, and over again:

You might not believe this, and I can't speak for the others who share my view, but I am not replying to you. I know where you stand. I am posting to reach the hundreds (dozens?... threesome?) of lurkers who watch these threads and never post, and who might have the same opinion as me. The fact that the same topic comes up again and again is because new people keep bringing it up, and keep getting slammed for daring to criticize the show. Someone should defend that point of view, because its a valid one. Maybe we should be called the loyal opposition.

This is a pretty open forum. A thread can be started on almost any semi-related topic, as far as I can tell. On the other hand, over at the Lollypop Guild, each thread is tightly controlled and kept on topic by the smurf-ette mafia that runs the place. Sounds like a "safe" place to me. Or a giant echo chamber.

I'm a bemused lurker on this thread and what I see is a guerrilla war being waged by the "old timers" against the new rulers of TBBT fan base. The relationship folks have won already and won big, so you should shrug off the few pea shooter wads that bounce off your armor.

The producers are going to cater to the new fan base because you took them from a middling cult hit to the number one comedy in the land and all those millions of dollars that goes along with it. Without you, TBBT may have been off the air by at least the fourth season or have a shrinking following like "The Office" or another Lorre show "Dharma and Greg".

This is the only forum that allows "thread snipping", so be magnanimous and allow the defeated to let off a little frustration.

I'm a bemused lurker on this thread and what I see is a guerrilla war being waged by the "old timers" against the new rulers of TBBT fan base. The relationship folks have won already and won big, so you should shrug off the few pea shooter wads that bounce off your armor.

The producers are going to cater to the new fan base because you took them from a middling cult hit to the number one comedy in the land and all those millions of dollars that goes along with it. Without you, TBBT may have been off the air by at least the fourth season or have a shrinking following like "The Office" or another Lorre show "Dharma and Greg".

This is the only forum that allows "thread snipping", so be magnanimous and allow the defeated to let off a little frustration.

You have a point, and nicely put.

I'm game, but my only incredulous question is (Leonard-style) - 'a little'? :icon_eek:

This forum is very quiet right now and nowhere near as tense as it was. We had all out wars, not too long ago. The moderator had to step in, remove posts and threaten to close down entire threads. Members are being more measured about their responses, so the odd remark doesn't bother me in the least. While I'm thankful the flame wars have ended, I surprised to hear this is the only site that allows people to complain about the OT. Frankly I think that is just wrong. :icon_confused:

This forum is very quiet right now and nowhere near as tense as it was. We had all out wars, not too long ago. The moderator had to step in, remove posts and threaten to close down entire threads. Members are being more measured about their responses, so the odd remark doesn't bother me in the least. While I'm thankful the flame wars have ended, I surprised to hear this is the only site that allows people to complain about the OT. Frankly I think that is just wrong. :icon_confused:

I agree, things are much better now around here.

Sorry, what's OT?

I agree, things are much better now around here.

Sorry, what's OT?

I think @moonbase means original topic(thread), as opposed to staying "on topic".

Oh ok, thanks, original topic. Like original post. Dumb of me.

While I'm thankful the flame wars have ended, I surprised to hear this is the only site that allows people to complain about the OT. Frankly I think that is just wrong.

To clarify, in the other forum there are threads specifically titled 'appreciation threads' for particular actors/characters/pairings, and you're not supposed to go there and blast them. That strikes me as common courtesy. There are other 'general' threads where arguments do take place.

Its therapeutic.

As a proud "old timer", I wouldn't call it a guerilla war so much as expressing our disappointment in the direction the show has gone. What attracted me to TBBT was the unique and refreshing brand of humor. Unique and refreshing are very hard qualities to find on TV. That's why it's so disappointing to see the producers sell out for ratings and money to attract the large segment of viewers who love romantic relationship shows. I can completely understand WHY they're doing it but it doesn't change the fact that they've destroyed what attracted me to the show. There are dozens of shows beating the tired old relationship humor drum. It's a shame they had to ruin one the few shows that dared to be different. I would much rather have see it die as a middling cult hit ala "Fawlty Towers" than to witness what's about to come - Will they? Won't they? Who's in trouble with who? Will they ever have sex? I can't wait to find out! Awwwwwwww, aren't they so cuuuuuuuuuuute?

Sorry if I've offended the romcom lovers. Just stating my opinion - if that's still allowed.

Well said. I myself believe the producers could have had it both ways. Its natural that the four guys would want women to finally settle down with, after all they are very successful professionals who are now in their 30s. People would start to talk if they didn't :icon_wink:

What irritates me is not that they have relationships but that they have intrusive, bickering and in the case of L/P, dysfunctional couplings. Instead of integrating the women into the basic comedic storyline, their struggles with their relationships have become too much of the base storyline. Being that two of the women are Ph. D scientist in their on right the merging should have been easy. Penny could have been with Leonard as the amused onlooker to the nerdy merriment.

There is still hope for the Shamy since it is so odd. And maybe Howard and Bernie will be mellow and happy.

Well said. I myself believe the producers could have had it both ways. Its natural that the four guys would want women to finally settle down with, after all they are very successful professionals who are now in their 30s. People would start to talk if they didn't :icon_wink:

What irritates me is not that they have relationships but that they have intrusive, bickering and in the case of L/P, dysfunctional couplings. Instead of integrating the women into the basic comedic storyline, their struggles with their relationships have become too much of the base storyline. Being that two of the women are Ph. D scientist in their on right the merging should have been easy. Penny could have been with Leonard as the amused onlooker to the nerdy merriment.

There is still hope for the Shamy since it is so odd. And maybe Howard and Bernie will be mellow and happy.

Now this I can understand. An objection to relationships on the show per se goes completely against the requirement of realism IMO, but an objection to too much bickering in the relationships is valid enough.

The H/B relationship issues irked me at times in season 5 - I sometimes forwarded through those parts in repeat watches - though the upshot of Howard becoming a much nicer person was a welcome result. I don't think there was a lot of L/P drama; they mostly stayed in the background, and I liked the idea of their beta test, but the storyline of Leonard's sudden proposal and Penny's outrage felt unsatisfying to me. Any more of that sort of thing in the next season will unfortunately dilute my sympathies for that couple a few further notches. So I'm hoping they get their act together some time soon, irrespective of what the writers said.

And of course, there's always hope for the Shamy because they're unique. They're the only couple I wouldn't mind seeing more of, in terms of relationships. I mean I would like it. :)

Will the people who are attracted to the relationship aspect of the show and people who are more attracted to the nerd science fiction geek culture aspect of the show ever be able to get along on here? I mean look if people don't like that the show is not the way they want it to be and want a place to vent their frustration thats one thing. But if the people who like relationships want a place where they can talk about their relationships on BBT that they actually enjoy without being criticized or having to read comments about how its turning the show into something else then I think the senseable respectful thing to do would be to create two different threads. Though I've seen several about the shamy relationship already on this board, but they all keep turning into bickering between those who do and those that do not picking it apart.

But, it would be nice if there was places for the fans of the SHAMY relationship to discuss it without being criticized for liking it and specific threads just for the people who dislike all the relationships or the direction BBT has gone the past few years to go and comment there and vent without posting their opinions on the threads of the people who actually happen to like the show. It would be more polite is all I'm saying to not be so negative when its obvious that people are asking for postive feedback instead. And I'm not saying this to attack anybody or to say that people who don't like the relationships don't have a right to their own opinion because you all absolutely do. But, that doesn't meant that people who disagree with your opinion care to read your comments all the time or be made to feel like they are some how wrong or bad just because they happen to like these relationships.

Also, i'm sorry but to me the fact that BBT is getting Emmy nominations for the show now when it didn't in early seasons is plenty good indication that these writers are doing something right. Because these Emmy nominations and the last two wins for Jim Parsons do a lot to help not only the popularity of the show, but also the careers of everyone involved in the show because it looks good on their resumes that they were a part of an Emmy winning/nominated program.

Now sure we can always debate whether the show is turning into Friends all day, but no matter what that debate isnt going to make the people who like the way BBT is and relationships on it change their minds and its not going to make the people who dislike it change their minds either. So instead of arguing, complaining at and nitpicking each other over and over back and forth on several different threads wouldn't it be a lot easier and less aggravating for everyone if we allowed this thread created by someone who likes this relationship to be able to discuss that with people who like this relationship also and for the people who do not to create their own thread to discuss how much they don't without offending those that do enjoy them especially since nothing any of us say or argue about here on this site is going to change anything that happens on the show.

The writers are going to write what they want to write and all we can do is either watch or not watch, but we can't force them to change or force others to like or dislike it. We all have to accept it for what it is rather we like it or not and hopefully try to find ways to enjoy the show in the long run because it won't last forever thats for sure. And if anyone here whether they like or dislike the relationships on the show think they have the right to shove their opinions onto others just so they can feel superior to those who disagree then I think thats real problem here and not anything that is happening on a fictional tv show amongst characters that are not real. I'm just saying lets all follow golden rule here and treat each other with kindness and respect despite any differences in opinions we may have so this doesn't have to turn into a back and forth petty fighting thread when that is obviously not what this thread is meant to be about regardless of what side any of us are on.

So please, I think that it would be very kind thing to do to allow the people who enjoy the Shamy relationship to have this thread since it was started by someone who enjoys the relationship based on their comments and that instead the people who don't like it could create their own thread to discuss their dislike of it instead of posting here so they don't offend those that do. Its just more polite than arguing back and forth to no end, except only to aggravate each other. :)

And I think people who are somewhere in the middle and actually like to debate could even start a seperate thread just for that labeled BBT/FRIENDS DEBATE or the NERD FRIENDS DEBATE so everyone who reads it knows that there will be lots of back and forth between various opinions that disagree with each other so those that do not want to engage in contentious argumentative behavior on every single thread and those that do not want to debate the show can just choose not to read that thread and those who do not like the relationships on show could also choose not to read threads posted by and for those who do so they are also not offended or irritated by it.

As Spock would say "its only logical." ;)

Aaaaaaah, so you want to live in a bubble where you only hear opinions you agree with. Good luck with that.

No, I'd like to participate without being talked down to by others just because they share different opinions, but I guess thats too much to ask for since people think that being polite to others and respecting their opinions means 'living in a bubble':icon_eek:

So please, I think that it would be very kind thing to do to allow the people who enjoy the Shamy relationship to have this thread since it was started by someone who enjoys the relationship based on their comments and that instead the people who don't like it could create their own thread to discuss their dislike of it instead of posting here so they don't offend those that do. Its just more polite than arguing back and forth to no end, except only to aggravate each other.

Well if you read first post its clear the OP likes shamy and was asking about the relationship in a postiive not negative way, but regardless if people are just going to criticize each others opinions back and forth and argue over and over then really like I said before its not going to change anybodies minds and only going round in round in circles for endless debate then break down into criticizing not only the show, but others for having a different opinion than yours so its a waste of time in my opinion. But, if thats what ya'll want do have it. PEACE OUT!! :icon_cool:

@SuperLoveLexi -well said. Except that (from experience) I don't think it will help to ask for this kind of courtesy on this forum. For friendly discussions among people liking/disliking a particular aspect of the show, please feel free to visit the Lollipop Guild, where, for example, they even have separate threads for Shenny and Shamy fans and however much we dislike each other's point of view, we DON'T DROP IN AND RAIN ON EACH OTHER'S PARADE. There is also a separate thread for shipping arguments for those who find such discussions to their taste.

I have myself sometimes gone into specific hate threads here, and tried to put my own counter-arguments. However, I don't do that any more; those who hate the way things are currently going have a right to hate on it - perhaps I'm just learning from the other forum. It just seems more civilized that way. But of course, if someone vents their dislike in a general thread or even a shipping thread then there will be rejoinders.

I've never heard of the Lollipop Guild, but sounds interesting. So thanks I may have to check it out if I can find it. I wasn't trying to start more arguing with my post, just asking for a little courtesy, but I guess your right if all people want to is bicker and debate each other because of free speech then they can have this thread. I don't go into hate character threads to debate anybody or start arguements, but this thread started out so positive and has descendant to dark side. SO I'll just go back to watch BBT reruns and enjoying myself. TADA! :icon_biggrin:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

To offend the Shamy's again - I don' t like the fact that they put Sheldon in a relationship at all. He was hilarious when he looked down at romantic relationships as a human weakness. He's funniest when he's condescending toward others. But funny has taken a backseat to feelings the past two seasons. It's really noticable when watching the reruns of seasons 1-3 and then 4-5.

Is not an offense, it is an opinion, and is yours so, it's ok.

MY opinion though is that he still does see romantic relationships as a "weakness" and even if he is into one, he hasn't realized fully that he is. Because he has a distorted image of himself, He is human after all, despite all of his "homo novus" rambling.

But Sheldon always does that. He has also claimed time after time that he doesn't need anyone, that he is superior in every way, and yet, he claims he doesn't care about losing his job but flips out and starts weaving ponchos until his mom comes to set things right, he has a fight with Leonard and goes out of his way to get "his buddy back", he dismisses Howard as the aquiantance but then, he feels guilty of ruining his FBI clearance and goes as far as giving him his spot on the couch. There is a BIG difference between what Sheldons says and what he ends up doing. And that has happenned since Season 1.

Sheldon has a self-image that is clearly not the real one, and that has always been part of his character, and that is what makes him fun. Sheldon IS NOT superior, he just thinks he is. Like Amy says: "denial, denial, denial". To me, is not just his "condescencion" the funny part, because if it was only that, then he would be a plain jerk that you just wanna punch (like Ricky Gervai's David Brent @The Office), but Sheldon is funny in the endearing sense because that condescencion comes from his denial of reality.

Also, he also thinks Amy is superior to the rest of the women he has met in the past, "the most similar to me than anyone I've ever met", etc. So, it is really not a conflict to me.

In my opinion, I think putting sheldon into a romantic relationship with amy is a good thing.

Its really fun to see him being put out of his comfort zone and although I did enjoy the previous seasons, season 5 is one of my fave seasons because of the relationships.

If you think about it, without the introduction of the female characters and the increased use of relationship-based story lines, has really forced the programme to develope and move forward and for me , that is a positive thing.

In the earlier seasons, I agree there was a lot more comedy but, eventually the writers would have had to change that or the show would become a bit repetitive.

Well that's my opinion anyway.

I guess I'm leary that they'll turn Sheldon into just another stereotype sitcom boyfriend/husband - a clueless, befuddled buffoon paired with the wise, patient girlfriend/wife who loves him despite it all. It's such a tired old premise that's been done a thousand times. They've already done it to Leonard and Howard. Can't they just leave Sheldon as he was? He's much funnier that way.

I agree with Sursonica, Sheldon has been a clear example of 'emotional person in denial' all along. He fondly likes to think of himself as perfectly rational and unemotional, but let's not forget that this is the same person who stores his precious Mee maw's letters, deliberately loses a game when someone appeals to his sentiment, gets jealous for his mother's company and attention and desperate when he seems to be losing his friend (Leonard). That such a person would get into (much-denied) feelings of romantic affection for someone he values and admires, is hardly a stretch of imagination.

I guess I'm leary that they'll turn Sheldon into just another stereotype sitcom boyfriend/husband - a clueless, befuddled buffoon paired with the wise, patient girlfriend/wife who loves him despite it all. It's such a tired old premise that's been done a thousand times. They've already done it to Leonard and Howard. Can't they just leave Sheldon as he was? He's much funnier that way.

I think Sheldon, Amy and their relationship is very far from anything stereotyped, the way it has been portrayed till now. So it's reasonable to hope that it's not going to turn into a trope any time soon.

Also, I'll venture that even Leonard/Penny and Howard/Bernie (even if I don't always enjoy their relationship drama) are definitely more nuanced than a simple 'clueless and befuddled/wise and patient' stereotype.

As for Sheldon being funnier before Amy.. I can't argue with your opinion. For my part, I enjoy it in general whenever Sheldon has to struggle with new and unfamiliar things and situations, and that includes suddenly finding himself stumbling into romance.

Has anyone noticed that Sheldon doesn't have a 'spot' in Amy's apartment? He can sit anywhere! It's not been mentioned and I noticed after a few watches. He sat left stage when he made the relationship agreement and right stage when they hugged. He swaps over with no discomfort. Left stage when Penny asked to cut his hair, right stage early in the episode when he was looking for a barber. This is not normal Sheldon behaviour. Out of his comfort zone?