The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShellyBean

Sheldon and Amy's relationship in Season 6 ?

Has anyone noticed that Sheldon doesn't have a 'spot' in Amy's apartment? He can sit anywhere! It's not been mentioned and I noticed after a few watches. He sat left stage when he made the relationship agreement and right stage when they hugged. He swaps over with no discomfort. Left stage when Penny asked to cut his hair, right stage early in the episode when he was looking for a barber. This is not normal Sheldon behaviour. Out of his comfort zone?

Interesting observation. Somehow that hadn't struck me. Maybe it's because he feels so comfortable and relaxed at her place, and so interested in her company, that the emotional 'safety net' of requiring a spot for himself hasn't occurred to him?

Has anyone noticed that Sheldon doesn't have a 'spot' in Amy's apartment? He can sit anywhere! It's not been mentioned and I noticed after a few watches. He sat left stage when he made the relationship agreement and right stage when they hugged. He swaps over with no discomfort. Left stage when Penny asked to cut his hair, right stage early in the episode when he was looking for a barber. This is not normal Sheldon behaviour. Out of his comfort zone?

Interesting observation. Somehow that hadn't struck me. Maybe it's because he feels so comfortable and relaxed at her place, and so interested in her company, that the emotional 'safety net' of requiring a spot for himself hasn't occurred to him?

It hadn't struck me either... I was surprised at how long it took me to pick it up! As a Sheldon fanatic, I normally spot anything off character instantly but in this case it doesn't seem relevant. And I'm not sure why.

It could be that he feels safe and it hasn't occurred to him, so it also hasn't occurred to the audience. But if he entered any other setting and just sat down anywhere, I would notice it. It's an odd one.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

as far as I can remember he always sits on the right hand side, except for the time when they signed the relationship agreement

did he sit on the left any other time?

Yes, he usually sits on the right, but we've seen him at least twice on the left, so given that scenes of him at Amy's apartment haven't been that numerous anyway, we can say he doesn't have a fixed spot. Also, we don't know if his visit in Agreement Dissection was supposed to be his first visit to her apartment, but if it was, a certainly didn't see him search for a spot the way he did in Penny's or even Raj's apartment.

I'm not sure if this is intentional from the show's side; as regards the Shamy, they have a knack of throwing subtle hints, so it's just possible. If it is, I think it's in line with the fact that he seems to consider her home a 'safe haven' - the reason that the music unconsciously led his steps there, on the night of the bongos, when his entire universe seemed to be turning upside down.

I think there should be a progress between the relationship of Sheldon and Amy. I think sheldon is really in love with Amy but he can't just express to her. There are times that Sheldon became jealous and that is a sign that Sheldon has a feelings for Amy. It would be nice that Sheldon become sweet in episode 6 and I think it's possible because in the last episode of season 5, he holds the hand of Amy. I wish they could do something romantic to each other and I hope that Sheldon becomes mature and learn to express his affections to Amy.

Yes, he usually sits on the right, but we've seen him at least twice on the left, so given that scenes of him at Amy's apartment haven't been that numerous anyway, we can say he doesn't have a fixed spot. Also, we don't know if his visit in Agreement Dissection was supposed to be his first visit to her apartment, but if it was, a certainly didn't see him search for a spot the way he did in Penny's or even Raj's apartment.

I'm not sure if this is intentional from the show's side; as regards the Shamy, they have a knack of throwing subtle hints, so it's just possible. If it is, I think it's in line with the fact that he seems to consider her home a 'safe haven' - the reason that the music unconsciously led his steps there, on the night of the bongos, when his entire universe seemed to be turning upside down.

Well, I don't think it's as much a matter of Sheldon always wanting to sit on the right as it is that he'd found that ideal spot in his apartment in relation to the heat/cross-breeze/TV, etc.

In the scene where he's at the jail and tells that one inmate that that end is his spot is, IMO, just a sort of wink at the audience because the bench with the 3 guys resembles the couch, which would make the right end "his spot".

So, I don't think that where he sits at Penny's or Amy's or Raj's apartments matters as long as he feels comfortable in whatever chair he's in or whatever.

There was one episode, I guess one of the first times he'd visited at Penny's, where he was sitting here and there in her apartment, looking for the "best" place to sit. In the end I don't remember if he sat on the end of her couch or somewhere else.

In the scene with the infested chair, he was happy to sit in the chair--until he realized it was "germy". :icon_wink:

At Raj's, the two times he went over there, he sat on either the left end or the middle of the couch without fussing about it.

So I think it's really only at his own apartment that he has placed his spot in "eternal dibs". Everywhere else wouldn't matter as much because he's not spending much time there, watching TV or conversing or feeling the heat/air.

:( Sheldon always has his spot. Even to urinate in the men's room. He told Kripke he was in his spot that time and he hated going to Raj's when Priya told him to sit anywhere. He said they were like hippies at a love in! Not having a spot at Amy's is OC. 

as far as I remember, he has always sat on the same spot on Amy's couch except for the time he drew on the Relationship Agreement. I think the left side (right side for us) of Amy's couch is his spot.

Or maybe, if we wanna go the "dreamy Shamy in luuuv way" .. Amy's whole apartment is his spot! or maybe it's just Amy LOL

as far as I remember, he has always sat on the same spot on Amy's couch except for the time he drew on the Relationship Agreement. I think the left side (right side for us) of Amy's couch is his spot.

Or maybe, if we wanna go the "dreamy Shamy in luuuv way" .. Amy's whole apartment is his spot! or maybe it's just Amy LOL

Yeah maybe. He also sat on the left when he was sleeping on Amy's sofa. Penny sat down on the right and talked to him about cutting his hair. It shouldn't matter that we have only seen him at Amy's a few times, this used to be a 'Sheldonism' and a really big deal especially here on the forum. Anything even slightly OC used to cause a major discussion. That doesn't happen anymore, or is explained away. I think they have successfully opened up the character to anything now.

In the physics bowl episode, at the end, Leonard is teasing Sheldon with his trophy, sitting it in Sheldon's spot, then when Penny comes in to quiz them on real world trivia, Leonard scoots over into Sheldon's spot and Sheldon sits in the arm chair and doesn't seem to have an apoplectic fit. :icon_wink:

In the physics bowl episode, at the end, Leonard is teasing Sheldon with his trophy, sitting it in Sheldon's spot, then when Penny comes in to quiz them on real world trivia, Leonard scoots over into Sheldon's spot and Sheldon sits in the arm chair and doesn't seem to have an apoplectic fit. :icon_wink:

That's exactly my point! There used to be threads about this. Fans noticed inconsistencies in Sheldon's behaviour and this scene has been pointed out before. It rarely happens now.

That's exactly my point! There used to be threads about this. Fans noticed inconsistencies in Sheldon's behaviour and this scene has been pointed out before. It rarely happens now.

I don't think that Sheldon not having a spot in Amy's apartment is as much of an inconsistency as his not sitting in his own spot - that's the one which is sacred to him. In fact, he doesn't really have a fixed spot in Penny's apartment either - he usually sits to the right of the couch, but the first time he had taken the chair, and more recently he sat in the infested sofa chair.

I don't think that Sheldon not having a spot in Amy's apartment is as much of an inconsistency as his not sitting in his own spot - that's the one which is sacred to him. In fact, he doesn't really have a fixed spot in Penny's apartment either - he usually sits to the right of the couch, but the first time he had taken the chair, and more recently he sat in the infested sofa chair.

Well, I remember him finding his spot in Penny's apartment and not being at all comfortable at Raj's when he couldn't sit in his usual place. Perhaps the writers did not think it was necessary to show this at Amy's, OR he doesn't have a spot there because he's comfortable. I just wanted to discuss that possibility but it seems most people don't think it's important. Not like it once was, Sheldon's OCD and whenever they made an 'error' was a big point of interest once.

In Vacation, when he didn't use gloves, so many fans spotted it immediately and we all discussed. I said at the time that this scene was significant. By the end of season 5 everything had changed. Transporter and Werewolf opened up the character and they have done it believably. The fans reaction was very subdued compared to early seasons.

Well, I remember him finding his spot in Penny's apartment and not being at all comfortable at Raj's when he couldn't sit in his usual place. Perhaps the writers did not think it was necessary to show this at Amy's, OR he doesn't have a spot there because he's comfortable. I just wanted to discuss that possibility but it seems most people don't think it's important. Not like it once was, Sheldon's OCD and whenever they made an 'error' was a big point of interest once.

In Vacation, when he didn't use gloves, so many fans spotted it immediately and we all discussed. I said at the time that this scene was significant. By the end of season 5 everything had changed. Transporter and Werewolf opened up the character and they have done it believably. The fans reaction was very subdued compared to early seasons.

I think it's all quite significant. The writers want to show that around Amy, Sheldon unconsciously lightens up on many of his rigidities, because she either makes him feel comfortable (and hence not as much in need of the defense mechanism of his OCD routine) or she distracts him. For example, as you say, in Vacation Solution, in the normal way it would be unimaginable for him not to wear gloves, but the argument with her pushed his buttons in a way that he slipped.

I want Wil Wheaton to get involved in their relationship this season (he has with LP and HB). It would be great, and Wil could get his name back on Sheldon's list (needed).

• Like 1

I think the big change in season six for Shamy is going to be that we're going to see a little more effort on Sheldon's end of things. Up until now it's been Amy that's been doing most of the heavy lifting when it comes to initiating things with him and getting him to come out of his shell. In season six we'll slowly see Sheldon start to do a little more.

I want Wil Wheaton to get involved in their relationship this season (he has with LP and HB). It would be great, and Wil could get his name back on Sheldon's list (needed).

True I also want this as well since Wil Wheaton has been causing trouble with the relationships of Leonard/Penny and Howard/Bernadette and I think it is time for Wheaton to mess around with Sheldon/Amy in Season 6.

True I also want this as well since Wil Wheaton has been causing trouble with the relationships of Leonard/Penny and Howard/Bernadette and I think it is time for Wheaton to mess around with Sheldon/Amy in Season 6.

agree, and it would be a good thing for Sheldon to put him back into his mortal enemies list :D

I, like just about everyone else here, would LOVE to see Sheldon initiate a passionate kiss with Amy. How romantic would that be? If they don't give us at LEAST that by the show's end, I will be very disappointed. LOL. The way things are going so far, we just may see it :-). He's already violated section 5 of his own Relationship Agreement so, we shall see :-). I love Sheldon & Amy together and they both can learn a lot from each other as well.

Monique

A couple of posts have been deleted from this thread. Please try keep the conversation about the show and not about other members.