Gonna watch the OLYMPICS?

So, the Olympic games are about to kick off!

Are you going to watch the event from telly?

Or are you, like, totally not interested?

What olympic events you are most interested in seeing?

Me, I like the more exotic sports, such as archery and trap. But all the track and field sports are just too boring...

By the way, have you noticed that women athletes seem to wear less and less clothing every year...

Yeah, some might like it, but I see it as a bit sexist am silly. I mean they could run in a T-shirts just as well.

• Like 1

I will watch some of it on telly. My friend went to the rehearsal for the opening ceremony and he said it will be amazing, so I'll watch that. But I'm the same, I'm not that bothered about what I watch or that I'm not attending. The gymnastics could be quite cool and on the clothing issue, I agree.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I usually watch the sports that I don't watch normally, like gymnastics, swimming, archery, etc

that and female hockey

Watched the opening ceremony last night....the flame ceremony was well worth the long wait. Will not write too much to avoid spoilers about it though :) It was done beautifully!

Will try & watch our national team games as I have a change, depending on when during the day they are on...we are 1 hour ahead of London so will miss some of it.

Wanna at least see if Phelps will succeed in what he sets out to do in his last Olympics

I have read & heard that the US had to wait several hours to be able to watch the Olympic Opening Ceremony, only to find out they had edited the whole spectacle to accommodate commercial breaks & even take out a lesbian kiss & cut the 7/7 memorial....

In what day & age are we living that those things may cause threats in the US.....* shakes head * It's 2012 for crying out loud....

Are there more countries around the world that had this happen with this broadcast?

I watched it on BBC1 as it happened live...no breaks or edits

NBC believes the opening and closing to the games is an "entertainment spectacular" and not really part of the games. NBC payed 1 billion for the rights to show so they think they can do whatever they want (and they did). Since the 2012 Olympics had 40.7 viewers which I believe comes out to 1000 dollars per viewer. WELTSCHMERZ

Well, the ceremony was brilliant. I don't think you'd get the same effect cutting it with ads, what a shame. I liked the industrial opening piece and Rowan Atkinson playing Chariots of Fire. But when they got to the flags, I made it to 'G' and started to get bored. Sheldon would be so disappointed in me. :icon_cheesygrin:

I didn't see the flame arrive, so will youtube it.

I wonder if the Olympics gets a mention on the show. Sheldon may have something to say about the flag mix-up. They got North Korea and South Korea mixed up during the woman's football. Quite a mistake. :icon_eek:

The opening ceremony was on in Australia at about 4.30am, I'm not a morning person so safe to say I've only seen bit and pieces of it. It was repeated yesterday but I was out at the time. The little bits I've seen it seemed fun.

Very excited by all of it and am on a nine week holiday so sitting with my guitar on my leg, a glass of something and just lapping it all up.

The gymnastics, football and Judo have been my favourites :)

Matt

Nice to see the proceedings in HD!

But how exactly is trampoline an olympic sport???

And the only reason Beach Volley is there, is because olympic committee is full of dirty old men!

next time the olympics will feature pole dancing and stripping too.

Nice to see the proceedings in HD!

But how exactly is trampoline an olympic sport???

And the only reason Beach Volley is there, is because olympic committee is full of dirty old men!

next time the olympics will feature pole dancing and stripping too.

I mentioned to my partner just tonight about trampoline being an olympic sport, they are very talented I will admit, but there are several sports that I just don't understand in the olympics, and I like your comment about beach volleyball.

To me the most boring event must be the 100metre sprint.

I mean how is that even a sport.

I mean anybody could run 100 metres. Even my granny! Even the most asthmatic member of this forum! So what's so great about it?

Now, 10 000 metres, that is a run you need a real sportswoman for.

But 100 metres? pish posh, I say.

Australia are really sucking bad this time around. We're getting our colonialist butts handed back to us by you UK lot. pish posh I say !! :D

What are you complaining? Australia already has 25 medals, 4 of which are gold.

We finns only have one medal. Sigh.:icon_cry:

IF Doctor Who is going to show up he had better hurry up. Tonight will be his last chance, except in the rerun called "afraid of the girl" (or something like that). Anybody remember the exact title?

Good show all round.

But one sour note: the biased judges!

I mean for example:

-english equestrian makes clear mistakes in her program. But because she is crowd's favourite, she is given no penalties. Instead she is given record high score, and gold medal. For Shame!

-USA's gymnast lands on her rump from a jump, but is not given penalties for it. Insted she gets high score, and gold medal! (Another gymnast, landing on her rump, did get hefty penalties!) For Shame!

Still, not ttoo grumpy about it, as today the olympics is more like a circus than a real sport event...