The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MissNobodyx

Expectations..

I really don't have any expectations, I just hope that Leonard and Penny's relationship will come to a finally end... Or, I mean, either they're together or they break-up.

@ MissNobodyx

I'm expecting the same thing but I hope I'm wrong. I'm concerned all the relationships are going to become irritating because of this very reason. Chuck and Bill seem to like making their relationships troubled.

I downloaded Space 1999 season 2 the other week. Its a daft 70s show where the moon has been blasted out of the earths orbit because of a nuclear waste explosion. It hurtles into space taking the people working on the space station 'Moonbase Alpha' with it. Hence my Moonbase avatar name. There are two main couples on the show and they are solid. They never have dramas, fights, or issues. The show only focuses on outside threats and tension between the other players not within the couples. It makes no attempt to introduce any relationship drama of any sort. It's not the best show in the world but this element they got spot on. Solid couples, taking on things together, no BS!

I hope they turn the focus away from nick-picking and little arguments. I dislike having to witness bickering between my friends and their partners in the real world. Public displays of this are a turn-off to me and I have no interest in actually watching it on my favourite show. Leonard and Penny was enough.

@ MissNobodyx

I'm expecting the same thing but I hope I'm wrong. I'm concerned all the relationships are going to become irritating because of this very reason. Chuck and Bill seem to like making their relationships troubled.

I fear the same thing. Lorre is famously skeptical of solid relationships (could it be his two bitter divorces or working with crazy divas on previous sitcoms?) and likes his shows with stressed out couples.

I hope they turn the focus away from nick-picking and little arguments. I dislike having to witness bickering between my friends and their partners in the real world. Public displays of this are a turn-off to me and I have no interest in actually watching it on my favorite show. Leonard and Penny was enough.

I really don't mind the relationships when used to serve the shows main comedic point. Amy and Bernie are female versions of the guys and should compliment the shows nerd ethos while being a bridge to Penny as well. Amy and Penny are at opposite ends with Bernie a blend of the two. But spending so much time on the conflicts with their men does get irritating. L/P are such an illogical mess it's almost nonsensical. If they love each other as much as is shown, they should be together working on their differences not having fights about the most inane stuff the writers can think of.

I have high hopes we get off this treadmill next season.

I'm afraid that, from what the writers have said, Leonard/Penny will continue to be in a troubled relationship as the next season begins. Let's just hope they get it sorted out through the season.

On the bright side, I'm hoping for some positive development (funny as well as tender) between Sheldon/Amy.

i expect the show to head downhill no lol moments no giggles and only afew smiles all i expect is swearing and lesbian sexual innuendos and if my expextations are proven right i wont even bother watching season 7 because i fear this show has reached its sell-by date and the blame lays at the feet of the writers forgetting their core viewers

i expect the show to head downhill no lol moments no giggles and only afew smiles all i expect is swearing and lesbian sexual innuendos and if my expextations are proven right i wont even bother watching season 7 because i fear this show has reached its sell-by date and the blame lays at the feet of the writers forgetting their core viewers

Who are the core viewers now? Who are those folks that make this the most popular sitcom in the US?

@ MissNobodyx

I fear the same thing. Lorre is famously skeptical of solid relationships (could it be his two bitter divorces or working with crazy divas on previous sitcoms?) and likes his shows with stressed out couples.

I hope they turn the focus away from nick-picking and little arguments. I dislike having to witness bickering between my friends and their partners in the real world. Public displays of this are a turn-off to me and I have no interest in actually watching it on my favorite show. Leonard and Penny was enough.

I really don't mind the relationships when used to serve the shows main comedic point. Amy and Bernie are female versions of the guys and should compliment the shows nerd ethos while being a bridge to Penny as well. Amy and Penny are at opposite ends with Bernie a blend of the two. But spending so much time on the conflicts with their men does get irritating. L/P are such an illogical mess it's almost nonsensical. If they love each other as much as is shown, they should be together working on their differences not having fights about the most inane stuff the writers can think of.

I have high hopes we get off this treadmill next season.

That's for sure. I don't think they will stay at the top if they concentrate on their couples having squabbles. People will get very bored of it. I didn't know about Chuck's personal life. It makes more sense now. The odd fight is normal but most couples don't have all that griping... do they...? why would you bother?

I expect Amy and Sheldon to become weirder in Season 6. To stave off a physical relationship, these two may go round the houses in oddness.

That's for sure. I don't think they will stay at the top if they concentrate on their couples having squabbles. People will get very bored of it. I didn't know about Chuck's personal life. It makes more sense now. The odd fight is normal but most couples don't have all that griping... do they...? why would you bother?

I expect Amy and Sheldon to become weirder in Season 6. To stave off a physical relationship, these two may go round the houses in oddness.

I agree, less Leonard/Penny and Howard/Bernie squabbles would be welcome. As for real life, some couples do indeed go to war about every little thing and some don't, but the point is that too much of it can't be funny - which is what we need from the show.

Can Amy and Sheldon become any weirder? The writers would have to work hard to make that happen. :)

a daft 70s show.....Solid couples, taking on things together, no BS!

TV is just a reflection of society at large. Today in America the divorce rate is around 50% for first time marriages, higher for 2nd and 3rd marriages. Growing up in an environment like that, the fighting and bickering become normal. It would seem odd not to have it in the popular culture, for a majority. That's why the drama is in there now, and not in a show from the 70's. Mary Cooper would call it societal decay. Beverly Hofstadter would call it progress.:icon_cry:

TV is just a reflection of society at large. Today in America the divorce rate is around 50% for first time marriages, higher for 2nd and 3rd marriages. Growing up in an environment like that, the fighting and bickering become normal. It would seem odd not to have it in the popular culture, for a majority. That's why the drama is in there now, and not in a show from the 70's. Mary Cooper would call it societal decay. Beverly Hofstadter would call it progress.:icon_cry:

This is a very interesting point. It's probably quite accurate. On the other hand (just as a social analysis side-issue), I'm not sure if more divorces imply more fighting within relationships going on.

In my country, divorces are still almost a strict no-no and socially unacceptable, so the divorce rate is minimal. And I've still grown up seeing huge amounts of relationship tension, fighting and bickering within marriages (sometimes to the point of extreme physical violence). I've often felt that life would be more peaceful for everyone concerned, especially the kids, if such couples could separate.

From that point of view, isn't it likely that there would be less relationship drama and friction in a society which 'allows' divorces more easily? Just my take.

@ Disgusted

I was sure stats for 2nd and 3rd were better. Google says American rates are 50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second and 74% of third marriages. Makes sense I guess. How many of us are the same person we were at 20 all our lives. People change.

Nevertheless, I watch the show to escape all that. Especially a TV show that we expect to make us laugh.

This is a very interesting point. It's probably quite accurate. On the other hand (just as a social analysis side-issue), I'm not sure if more divorces imply more fighting within relationships going on.

In my country, divorces are still almost a strict no-no and socially unacceptable, so the divorce rate is minimal. And I've still grown up seeing huge amounts of relationship tension, fighting and bickering within marriages (sometimes to the point of extreme physical violence). I've often felt that life would be more peaceful for everyone concerned, especially the kids, if such couples could separate.

From that point of view, isn't it likely that there would be less relationship drama and friction in a society which 'allows' divorces more easily? Just my take.

I agree, there's many ways to look at it. People staying together because they have no option can't be much of a life for either party.

TBBT has always given me a lift every week, so I hope/expect next season they keep all that to a minimum, they'll be talking about the recession next, just to really remind us of reality. :icon_lol:

The key is that where you are, its not socially acceptable, that's why its not on TV. Do you have shows like:

Jerry Springer, where fist fights are encouraged between the guests, who have the worst relationship problems imaginable?

Maury Povich, where they do DNA testing to determine which of a woman's 2-7 previous boyfriends is the father, as the current boyfriend/husband looks on?

A plethora of "judge" shows, where the "contestants" agree to drop charges against each other to appear and air their dirty laundry in public, as the judge mocks and denigrates them?

The Survivor series, where the best backstabber wins?

Reality shows that spotlight the "real lives" of celibrities on insane egotistical power trips?

To a large segment of the U.S. population, these shows are socially acceptable.

Nevertheless, I watch the show to escape all that. Especially a TV show that we expect to make us laugh.

Same here, but I'm not holding my breath until it gets better.

The key is that where you are, its not socially acceptable, that's why its not on TV. Do you have shows like:

Jerry Springer, where fist fights are encouraged between the guests, who have the worst relationship problems imaginable?

Maury Povich, where they do DNA testing to determine which of a woman's 2-7 previous boyfriends is the father, as the current boyfriend/husband looks on?

A plethora of "judge" shows, where the "contestants" agree to drop charges against each other to appear and air their dirty laundry in public, as the judge mocks and denigrates them?

Reality shows that spotlight the "real lives" of celibrities on insane egotistical power trips?

No, we don't. But we do have a plethora of (insufferable) soap operas which focus on all kinds of dirty internal politics within families and married relationships - without anyone talking of divorce, of course. Again, that reflects our society, with some amount of dramatization thrown in. Can't say there's much to choose between that and what you describe.

TBBT has always given me a lift every week, so I hope/expect next season they keep all that to a minimum, they'll be talking about the recession next, just to really remind us of reality. :icon_lol:

I'm hoping the same. Actually I'm ok with them showing the recession, too, as long as it's done in a light-hearted comedic way - and the TBBT writers seem to be handle that most of the time. Like when Raj got laid off and was about to be deported, and it transformed into one of the all-time great episodes with Sheldon and Raj working together.

I personally loved season 5 and I want season 6 to be just as good(if not better)

A few things I would like to change:

-Amy's lesbian comments to penny.

-the forcus on howard and bernardettes relationship

-Leonard and pennys unstable relationship.

I personally loved season 5 and I want season 6 to be just as good(if not better)

A few things I would like to change:

-Amy's lesbian comments to penny.

-the forcus on howard and bernardettes relationship

-Leonard and pennys unstable relationship.

Yeah the lesbain comments seem a bit old now, but people seem to enjoy the gay banter between Raj and Howard so is there any real difference

Focus on Howard and Bernadette relationship seems ok, not that it should dominate the show

As for Leonard and Penny's unstable relationship, that ain't gonna change any time soon. According to the writers that is.

Same here, but I'm not holding my breath until it gets better.

I don't watch any of those shows and it may be wrong but I look upon people who do with a certain amount of disdain.

I don't watch any of those shows and it may be wrong but I look upon people who do with a certain amount of disdain.

I don't care for H/B so much and think they should be pushed aside for a bit and more focus on Raj and Penny. I dont mind Amy's lesbian comments and feel I'm in the minority. I think weird things will happen with Shamy and maybe a LP break up.

I think I do belong in the minority too. I was never bothered about Amy's lesbian comments because I have done those without me realizing it. I never cringed because the situations were all too familiar not to laugh at it.

I love how the press are milking the TVLine pot-stirring with the 3rd episode's plotline that some know-it-all spoiler folks from entertainment sites said yes after a fan asked if Leonard would be "dating" someone else other than Penny.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I think I do belong in the minority too. I was never bothered about Amy's lesbian comments because I have done those without me realizing it. I never cringed because the situations were all too familiar not to laugh at it.

I love how the press are milking the TVLine pot-stirring with the 3rd episode's plotline that some know-it-all spoiler folks from entertainment sites said yes after a fan asked if Leonard would be "dating" someone else other than Penny.

and I love the way Kaley went ballistic when Ausiello asked her about it! LOVED LOVED LOVED her reaction! I thought for a second she was going to hit Michael or something

I would have loved it if she went junior rodeo on him! Lol! Hopefully I'm taking her reaction that we won't see another L/P break up! "L/P lives on!"

I would have loved it if she went junior rodeo on him! Lol! Hopefully I'm taking her reaction that we won't see another L/P break up! "L/P lives on!"

I got the same feeling that Kaley was confident that L/P were back on solid ground and no more foolishness from the writers was in the works.

What happened to leslie winkle? Is she coming back?

Are they going to resolve the Leonard and Penny relationship? It's getting a little old. And I hope there would be more chemistry shown between Howard and Bernadettes relationship. I would love to see howard and bernadette talk to each other in front of the guys and including penny, about something in science(those science lines like sheldons mini speeches) but in actuality they are talking in code about their relationship. And then the guys would have a "befuddled" facial expression and then penny understands what they were talking about since she has more experience in relationships. Additional option would be that Penny steps in and talk about something completely different but would be related to the code the 2 were talking about. LOL =)