Things you're embarrassed to like (inspired by Sherminator's thread)

Im_not_crazy

-Hate me all you want but I'm a Fifty shades fan. There I said it. :icon_redface::icon_redface: Yes the general language is a bit "juvenile" but I thought the characters and the plot were really interesting. I thought at the beginning the book was plain, but then there were so many cliff hangers at the end of the chapters and books which just made me read. I felt more connected to the novel, after listening to some of the music that was mentioned in the novel. (EL James has made up a playlist on youtube with all the songs)

Yes and I also like the character Christian Grey very much, yes he's a creep and has mummy issues, but he's interesting. And I hope Matt Bomer gets to play him in the movie!

So what are you guys embarrassed about? :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

I am a GIGANTIC whale nerd. If someone would let me tell them about whales all day, I would never run out of things to say. I always have an urge to talk about them, or about news regarding any kind of cetacean.

And it's not so much that I'm embarrassed about liking them so much, but how many people do you know could name and/or identify individual killer whales at all three Sea world parks? Yeah, it's that bad. It's like if I am looking at a picture and someone goes "pretty whale" I have to say "that's Katina."

O.o

Or if someone says "why is it so fat?!" I have to go off and recite a novel about how whales aren't necessarily fat. But they can be.

I center much of my life around cetaceans, and animals in general, and I want to be a zookeeper. That alone actually kind of makes me feel like an oddball much of the time. So again, it isn't that I'm embarassed to like animals so much, but sometimes people can make you feel that way even if they don't mean to. I'm one of those weird zoo-groupie-people. I love the creepy crawlies too. Snakes, lizards and frogs and bats. I have five hermit crabs of my own.

I'm also very young at heart and I love to catch lightening bugs and swing outside while listening to music. This also makes me feel strange, because I KNOW when people see me doing it, they think I am 13, because I look it. I'm actually 20.

I like to think that Smurfs do in fact exist.

On a side note to this, I also believe that there are numerous families of fairies living underneath toadstools all around the world.

And gnomes.

I think the fairies have relocated to San Fransisco.

Perhaps as I've grown older there really is nothing that I am embarrassed about liking anymore. I drive my workmates mad sometimes talking about how amazing a 4 hour silent film can be and I know they think I am slightly "strange", but I don't care.

I am a GIGANTIC whale nerd. If someone would let me tell them about whales all day, I would never run out of things to say. I always have an urge to talk about them, or about news regarding any kind of cetacean.

And it's not so much that I'm embarrassed about liking them so much, but how many people do you know could name and/or identify individual killer whales at all three Sea world parks? Yeah, it's that bad. It's like if I am looking at a picture and someone goes "pretty whale" I have to say "that's Katina."

O.o

Or if someone says "why is it so fat?!" I have to go off and recite a novel about how whales aren't necessarily fat. But they can be.

I center much of my life around cetaceans, and animals in general, and I want to be a zookeeper. That alone actually kind of makes me feel like an oddball much of the time. So again, it isn't that I'm embarassed to like animals so much, but sometimes people can make you feel that way even if they don't mean to. I'm one of those weird zoo-groupie-people. I love the creepy crawlies too. Snakes, lizards and frogs and bats. I have five hermit crabs of my own.

I'm also very young at heart and I love to catch lightening bugs and swing outside while listening to music. This also makes me feel strange, because I KNOW when people see me doing it, they think I am 13, because I look it. I'm actually 20.

EARTHCAKE, I'm trying to send you an attachment I took at Sea World last year. My wife is a whale whisperer. She spent 2 hours interacting with Kasatha & Kahlia. The whales ignored everyone but my wife. Kasatha did her underwater tricks when my gave the hand signals. This is Mama & Baby kissing. If this attachment works I'll try to send a picture of Kasatha right up on the glass like, mouth and teeth VERY prominent like she's trying to give my wife a kiss. Let me know if it worked. PS I tried to add the other picture but I don't know how. It's our screen saver but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Sorry.

post-6772-134808098227_thumb.jpg

EARTHCAKE, I'm trying to send you an attachment I took at Sea World last year. My wife is a whale whisperer. She spent 2 hours interacting with Kasatha & Kahlia. The whales ignored everyone but my wife. Kasatha did her underwater tricks when my gave the hand signals. This is Mama & Baby kissing. If this attachment works I'll try to send a picture of Kasatha right up on the glass like, mouth and teeth VERY prominent like she's trying to give my wife a kiss. Let me know if it worked. PS I tried to add the other picture but I don't know how. It's our screen saver but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Sorry.

That's cool, Kasatka is the dominant female at Sea World San Diego, and Kalia is her daughter. She's also starting to become very dominant, even raking the largest male there. This isn't unusual though, they are a matriarchal society and the females are in charge. Males have the lowest social status.

Fun fact, "Kasatka" means killer whale in Russian. :icon_cheesygrin:

Thank you for sharing your pictures! I love seeing pictures of the whales, like I said. I really can't get enough of them.

Perhaps as I've grown older there really is nothing that I am embarrassed about liking anymore. I drive my workmates mad sometimes talking about how amazing a 4 hour silent film can be and I know they think I am slightly "strange", but I don't care.

This is my experience as well. I think there just comes a point when you're older where you really have embraced who you are, what you like and feel passionately about, and what others think doesn't matter so much. I'm a history geek and love sharing it with others. I was just watching the Christmas one today where Penny gives Sheldon the Leonard Nimoy napkin, and early in the episode Sheldon is explaining Saturnalia - that's me. And it's not boring! It's fascinating! :D

I like to think that Smurfs do in fact exist.

On a side note to this, I also believe that there are numerous families of fairies living underneath toadstools all around the world.

And gnomes.

I think the fairies have relocated to San Fransisco.

I'm not going to take sides, but San Fran has only so much square footage for toadstools. But on many (downtown) corners you CAN find 'shrooms.