Mars Rover Curiosity

Incredible isn't it?! Theres a robot on Mars, finally. It's even got a laser for zapping rocks so they can analyse their make-up. I read it's a tonne in weight, which makes me wonder how Howard could borrow even a part of it. Heavy! But anyway...

@ Sherminator

How amazing that would be.

It's great how this show has renewed an interest in science. The Higgs was astonishing in itself but to hear it referenced before the announcement was so great. I hope they continue to do this.

I was amused to read the Russians had launched a Soyuz rocket on the 14th May, just 4 days after Howard's fictional launch. The crew consisted of two Russians and one American. So a real Howard was preparing for his journey in a Russian rocket, as Howard was.

Here's something on BBC, I couldn't embed the video.

science-environment-18762193

Mars, bitches! :D

Between the Higgs and this, there's definitely some cool science stuff for the writers to explore this season!

:icon_lol: My of my favourite Howard lines 'Hey, what up, science bitches?'

Can't wait for the new season to find out. If any Americans fans have some better links showing Mars Rover imagery please post.

This reminds me of a anecdote I heard from one of the mars rover technicians:

President Obama was touring the NASA's Mars center, concratulating all about job well done.

'Now that we have conquered mars,' said mr Obama, 'what will be our next goal?'

'well,' said one of the younger scientists, 'personally I'd love to send a probe up to Uranus!'

'Up to my...' blustered Obama, 'Why, I'll have you know I'm not one of Them! -not that there is anything wrong about it,' he added to the press hovering nearby.

Later, at the reception, the scientist was handed a note by a security guy.

'Hilton, penthouse, 2200 tonight,' said the note. 'XXX Barack.'

'Coo,' cooed the security guy, peeking over the scientist's shoulder. 'Looks like your mission is a go after all!'

'But!' blustered the scientist. 'I did not mean his ****! I meant Uranus!'

'Oh!' said the security guy. 'Well, I'm flattered, I really am, but I'm afraid Obama got the tabs on you first!'

True story!

Now to start the arguing! Why not believe they will find life on Mars? After all they found a Coke can on the moon.

there is water, and if there is c2o,then there should be some simple bacteria, at the least. Of course, creationists would explain that this life originated from earth, carried to mars by meteorite...

Now to start the arguing! Why not believe they will find life on Mars? After all they found a Coke can on the moon.

there is water, and if there is c2o,then there should be some simple bacteria, at the least. Of course, creationists would explain that this life originated from earth, carried to mars by meteorite...

I'm waiting with baited breath over what Curiosity scoops up over the next year. It's exciting!

I'm waiting with baited breath over what Curiosity scoops up over the next year. It's exciting!

I'm betting on beer cans

I'm betting on beer cans

... and all those lost socks :icon_cheesygrin:

I'm betting on beer cans

... and all those lost socks :icon_cheesygrin:

And all of those missing ball point pens. Any HITCHHIKERS out there?

What difference would it make if they found remains of DNA or a whole skeleton. I think they would tell us. I believe no matter what they REALLY find, they are going to "find" something that COULD POSSIBLY be MAYBE by a stretch of the mind be called POSSIBLE life. They are not there to prove there is NO life on Mars.

Look how far the US have come. The little rower in the front was the first they sent and looks like something the boys would build for robot wars. Obviously that's Curiosity on the right. They must believe there's something to find and want to be first to do it.

The Russians certainly don't want to be outdone. They have just announced plans to send probes to Jupiter and Venus, land a network of unmanned stations on Mars and have a base set up on the surface of the Moon — all by 2030! An actual Moon Base, show offs :)

As for finding skeletal remains, it's probably too long ago but I think they would reveal it if they did, maybe they wouldn't have 50 years ago.

PIA15279_3rovers-stand_D2011_1215_D521.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Did you hear?

They found dinosaur tracks on Mars!!!

I know, NASA says they found the tracks outside their facility.

-but I ask you, why would they report such find to media???

-It's clearly a coverup!

What really happened is they found the tracks on MArs, but decided to keep quiet about it.

But then somebody slipped the news to media. and NASA started having annoying phonecalls about tracks on Mars.

So, to fix it, NASA announced (lied) to media that the tracks were found here, on earth, on NASA facility.

-very clever, as when people now hear rumours about the dinosaur tracks and NASA, they say 'oh, that old thing! They found them outside their facility here on earth!'

But truth will out! There have been animals on Mars!

I don't think our government would spend 1.5 BILLION dollars ( which could have been spent on....... oh I don't know.......say......feeding the poor) if they were not trying to find SOMETHING. But I will agree with you about NASA isn't above lying about ANYTHING they find/don't find.

• 2 months later...

I don't think our government would spend 1.5 BILLION dollars ( which could have been spent on....... oh I don't know.......say......feeding the poor) if they were not trying to find SOMETHING. But I will agree with you about NASA isn't above lying about ANYTHING they find/don't find.

So far no methane gas, so far no life.