The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pomita

Season 6 spoilers

Yeah but I don't think he meant that one. That was back to oblivious Sheldon saying things without realizing how they come out of his mouth.

Do you think so? I would not be sure about it. He has made pretty a lot comments like this. And first I also thought the "Corn Pecking" was oblivious Sheldon too. And after an episode like 6.14 I would assume he very well knows what he is talking about when it comes to sexual hints between the lines. Although in 6.14 they were basically IN the lines :icon_wink:

But it also could be just him blabbing without thinking.  He did'nt get the rocket model thing tho. So you could be right.

TBH, I think it's probably more about what makes a funnier joke at the moment. 

Kyzzx, Monique thank you so much for the reports and information. It's soooooo great to get these and it's really appreciated.

• Like 1

True. I don't know that it makes sense to dissect all his jokes, but it's true that they are far more frequent now. lol. Amy's calmed down and he's starting. To be honest I'm glad they've taken a break with Amy's sex jokes finally. It was getting a bit old. 

(The famous last words, I know... next ep she'll be making them again, lol).

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Thanks for the report!

except for the Raj storyline though I'm not sure I like it. Maybe is because I don't care about Penny and her playing Blanche and being good at it doesn't make much sense .. wasn't she supposed to be a lousy actress?

anyhow, my thought after reading the episode thread was actually: "17 episodes in and still no sign of an Amy Farrah Fowler episode" ... I mean, I loved the Shamy we got this season and all, but she is more than just Sheldon's girlfriend. Last season we had Pulled Groin and Isolation Permutation as Amy episodes that just ROCKED. So far this season, NOTHING.

I WANT AN AMY FARRAH FOWLER EPISODE, DAMMIT!

---- sorry for the rant

p.s.: I'm loving Lucy

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 1

Ah, I've run out of likes but I'm liking the above! I didn't even think of it, you're right! Unless people are counting Fish Gut as an Amy ep, there's nothing. I want one too! 

Thanks for the report!

except for the Raj storyline though I'm not sure I like it. Maybe is because I don't care about Penny and her playing Blanche and being good at it doesn't make much sense .. wasn't she supposed to be a lousy actress?

I am sorry to ask but I believe there are still some episodes here and there that I haven't watched : were we ever told in no uncertain terms that Penny is a lousy actress ? 

I know she has pretty much failed at carving a career for herself so far but she is still young and sometimes even great actors need about 10-15 years to "make it" (e.g. Jim Parsons who only got cameos and commercials til he was cast as Sheldon at the tender age of 34).

We know she got three parts, including the commercial, and that they were pretty bad (either that or the productions were bad). But I cannot recall anything being said or shown about her as an actress, talented or not.

It is entirely possible that I missed something though. 

I, for one, am glad she is good at it. I was getting a bit frustrated with the whole "Penny as the loser/untalented actress of the group" dynamic. Firstly, it reminded me too much of Joey in Friends and secondly, it was getting slightly repetitive. Furthermore, while her going back to college was a good subplot and I wouldn't mind her keeping up with it, it was a bit "normalising", for lack of a better word. It sort of implied that, to fit in with the group and be considered successful, she had to be like them : academic/scholarly. Some people are just not made for academia or degrees but are doing great all the same. I like this aspect of Penny : she is an intruder, an outsider in a world of people with PhDs (sorry Howard) and fancy titles and yet she can hold her own and be accomplished in her own way. 

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 2

Thanks for the report!

anyhow, my thought after reading the episode thread was actually: "17 episodes in and still no sign of an Amy Farrah Fowler episode" ... I mean, I loved the Shamy we got this season and all, but she is more than just Sheldon's girlfriend. Last season we had Pulled Groin and Isolation Permutation as Amy episodes that just ROCKED. So far this season, NOTHING.

I WANT AN AMY FARRAH FOWLER EPISODE, DAMMIT!

---- sorry for the rant

p.s.: I'm loving Lucy

LOVE this! And so I'm happy to be out of Likes. We need an episode with Amy but without the focus on her relationships with Sheldon or Penny for once.

Sounds like a very enjoyable epsiode :) the Raj storyline: ABOUT TIME!!! And I'm glad that Penny's career is finally taking off. A little confused as to why Amy wasn't part of FWF but hey, things can't always go exactly the way you want. I'm quite glad that there were a few things in the report that I'll have to watch the episode to truly understand/appreciate. It doesn't make me feel as guilty for spoiling myself :p

Edited by Razberrypie

Huh?  You acknowledge that there's development in Raj's scenes (a large portion of the episode) but think it's a "filler" episode?  Additionally, with Penny's scenes, we're reminded (after how long?) that she's still interested in acting and that she's doing quite well.  People have been asking for development with Penny's acting for years.  Surely you don't think the established relationships are the only storylines worthy of development?

Realize that most of the people claiming this episode is filler are a bunch of Shamy fans who think the show should be renamed Big Bang Shamy and revolve completely around those two characters.  Never mind the fact that Raj and Penny are two of the five characters who have been in every single episode (not counting the original pilot).

Kind of funny. I think most of the time of Shamy like you think of Penny.

Actually for the amount of times Kiru lets everyone know the dislike Kiru has for Penny, it appears that Penny is very much on Kiru's mind, which seems to be most of the time.

• Like 1

I am sorry to ask but I believe there are still some episodes here and there that I haven't watched : were we ever told in no uncertain terms that Penny is a lousy actress ? 

I know she has pretty much failed at carving a career for herself so far but she is still young and sometimes even great actors need about 10-15 years to "make it" (e.g. Jim Parsons who only got cameos and commercials til he was cast as Sheldon at the tender age of 34).

We know she got three parts, including the commercial, and that they were pretty bad (either that or the productions were bad). But I cannot recall anything being said or shown about her as an actress, talented or not.

It is entirely possible that I missed something though. 

I, for one, am glad she is good at it. I was getting a bit frustrated with the whole "Penny as the loser/untalented actress of the group" dynamic. Firstly, it reminded me too much of Joey in Friends and secondly, it was getting slightly repetitive. Furthermore, while her going back to college was a good subplot and I wouldn't mind her keeping up with it, it was a bit "normalising", for lack of a better word. It sort of implied that, to fit in with the group and be considered successful, she had to be like them : academic/scholarly. Some people are just not made for academia or degrees but are doing great all the same. I like this aspect of Penny : she is an intruder, an outsider in a world of people with PhDs (sorry Howard) and fancy titles and yet she can hold her own and be accomplished in her own way. 

It has never been mentioned she was a bad actress. There was an episode in season 1 about her bad singing. There is some people on here that just hate Penny.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

It has never been mentioned she was a bad actress. There was an episode in season 1 about her bad singing. There is some people on here that just hate Penny.

how saying that she was supposed to be a lousy actress is supposed to be "hating Penny" all of the sudden? I don't hate her. To be honest, I don't care about her.

My conclusion of "she is supposed to be a lousy actress",especially the SUPPOSED part (again I SAID SUPPOSED, NOT FACT) was because of her mentioning almost never passing audtions, her lousy singing and her hemorrhoid commercial was very bad. How she went from that commercial's acting level to playing Blanche Dubois flawlessly (with no other roles in between) is something that doesn't make much sense. Blanche's role is one of the hardest roles in theatre. Also, Penny is WAY too young to play Blanche, a role that always goes to actresses in their 40's or 50's since she is supposed to be that age.

that's why I said it didn't make much sense TO ME

Edited by Sursonica

Actually for the amount of times Kiru lets everyone know the dislike Kiru has for Penny, it appears that Penny is very much on Kiru's mind, which seems to be most of the time.

This reminds me of a dialogue from an Indian(Telugu) movie

"ఆమె షి లవ్స్ కంటే నాకు ద్వేషిస్తారు. అది నాకు పట్ల తన భావాలను మీరు కంటే బలమైన అర్థం."

Translated version (basically the hero is telling this to a guy who the heroine was with at that time after the guy says that the heroine hates him(hero) more than anything else)

"She hates me more than she loves you .... that means her feelings towards me are stronger than those towards you"

Sorry for out of the topic post and no offense to anyone...... :)
Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

how saying that she was supposed to be a lousy actress is supposed to be "hating Penny" all of the sudden? I don't hate her. To be honest, I don't care about her.

My conclusion of "she is supposed to be a lousy actress",especially the SUPPOSED part (again I SAID SUPPOSED, NOT FACT) was because of her mentioning almost never passing audtions, her lousy singing and her hemorrhoid commercial was very bad. How she went from that commercial to playing Blanche Dubois flawlessly (with no other roles in between) is something that doesn't make much sense. Blanche's role is one of the hardest roles in theatre. Also, Penny is WAY too young to play Blanche, a role that always goes to actresses in their 40's or 50's since she is supposed to be that age.

I was merely asking and did not think you were disparaging to Penny. I was just a bit puzzled because, while the commercial was bad, so are pretty much all commercials and it is quite hard to shine, even if you are a great thespian, in something so mindless and ridiculous as a commercial, especially for hemorroids.

It is true that we have not seen much, if anything at all, between Penny barely being able to get auditions and Penny successfully playing Blanche (are we sure she plays Blanche ?) in A Streetcar Named Desire. But one thing caught my eye : according to the report, she says that her acting class put the play together. So she still attends acting school, which means that she is still working and still improving. It makes the transition from bad hemorroid commercial to good Blanche less bizarre : Penny is progressing over time. 

As for Blanche, while she is usually portrayed by actresses in their late fourties and fifties (with V. Leigh being an exception at 37), I believe Williams envisioned her to be about 5 years older than her sister who's 25-ish, so in her early thirties which for the late 1940s must have been considered "past her prime" for a woman. If Penny and K. Cuoco are the same age (27), there is no big discrepancy there. 

Edited by Chiara

I would like to thank both Kyzzx and Monique once again for their spectacular work! It is extremely appreciated!

As for the episode I liked it very much. I have had mixed feelings about Raj getting a GF simply because it will take away time from the other couples. However, it is time that they addressed Raj's problem. Not being able to speak to women without a drink was really getting old. Lucy seems to be a good match for him also. I don't think Alex would have worked out with Raj long term.

Showing Penny as a very good actor was great. Hopefully someone was in the audience that saw her and will give her the next break. Even if it is another small step. As long as they are showing growth in that area it is a good thing. By the way, when was it ever said her commercial was bad as some here have mentioned. It was simply funny due to the nature of the subject. If you were able to get a commercial on TV for a nationwide manufacturer you must have done something right.  

Some members have complained that their wasn't any relationship movement. You don't need that in every episode. Although they did have the R/L relationship storyline. The rest of the episode was interaction with the balance of the gang. I don't see a problem there. Just like I don't see why AFF must be in every FWF scene. When AFF gets behind a camera she gets very pushy (Will Wheaton, Filming the girls looking for wedding gowns and attendant's dresses, Opening wedding gifts). If she was there then Penny and Sheldon wouldn't have had the openness where Penny would have helped Sheldon.

I thought when Sheldon got up and left Amy while she was still talking to him on Skype to thank Penny was hilarious! That was so Sheldon. So was the little play Penny and Sheldon did with his changes.

All in all I felt it was a very good episode. Not filler material at all.

Edited by SodidIwin?
  • Like 2

My conclusion of "she is supposed to be a lousy actress",especially the SUPPOSED part (again I SAID SUPPOSED, NOT FACT) was because of her mentioning almost never passing audtions, her lousy singing and her hemorrhoid commercial was very bad. How she went from that commercial to playing Blanche Dubois flawlessly (with no other roles in between) is something that doesn't make much sense. Blanche's role is one of the hardest roles in theatre. Also, Penny is WAY too young to play Blanche, a role that always goes to actresses in their 40's or 50's since she is supposed to be that age.

I wasn't specifically meaning you when I said about people hating Penny. Although I don't understand not caring about a major character on a show that obviously a favorite of yours. Without Penny there is no TBBT.(as well as Sheldon of course). Nobody knew who Jim Parsons was till his mid thirties. I'm guessing he failed at many auditions too.

Good points SodidIwin!

Every character has its own story so there are episodes which are more focused on the SHAMY some are more focused on Leonard & Penny, some are more focused on Howard and Bernadette and some are more focused on Raj etc.

And then there are some scenes with the girls only or the guys only.

The writers can`t please everybody. Not every episode can be just about one particular character. There are eight characters on the show (in the maincast).

Edited by BlackWhiteRose

Penny called herself a bad actress in one episode and she has been written in the past as not having great acting skills.   Now that being said, we can also assume, since she has mentioned that she is paying for acting lessons, that her lessons were starting to pay off.  I have no issue with Penny getting an acting job and being good at it.  I will agree her age is off for Blanche, but with makeup they can fix that problem.    I am glad they are showing Penny have a success in her career.  It is long overdue.

Likewise I am happy Raj is getting a love interest.  The part I didn't care for in this specific episode was most of what they did with Raj in it.  While the end scene with he and Lucy was great (and perhaps a brief moment in the beginning) the rest was pathetic Raj.  That is what I didn't care for.  I don't like that they constantly make him so pathetic.  He didn't have to be that way in this one.  They could easily have made him mope perhaps, but not so pathetic.   I like the end when he and Lucy finally establish they are both broken individuals.  That was good and I am looking forward to that one scene.

Yes I am a Shamy fan, but I don't care for people assuming just because I am a Shamy fan I don't care for the other characters.   I do see this as an introduction of a love interest for Raj but not movement forward for him until the very last scene.  Likewise I see that Penny finally has an acting success, but again, it isn't that fascinating of a show overall.  To me it feel still like filler more than advancement of story unless you count the last scene for Raj and perhaps the actual play scene (not the pretend one with Sheldon, but the one that they attend) with Penny.  Those were the two areas where there might have been considered advancements.  Beyond that, the rest wasn't terribly funny or interesting.   That is my opinion.  It isn't because there wasn't much Shamy.  That I don't expect.  I actually was hoping for more interaction between Raj and Lucy in the episode and we got very little.   I also was hoping that there would be more Leonard/Penny interaction about her acting career...he is her boyfriend and should have been thrilled for her getting the role, but who does she ask first to come to her play?  Sheldon and Amy.   I guess I can see her asking them, but Leonard was basically absent from this episode.   He too has suffered from lack of story.   Bottom line, I don't expect Shamy scenes all the time, even though they have had very few of the two of them together this season...but I can't say I found this episode interesting (short of the last scene with Raj/Lucy...that I am very much looking forward to seeing).   The rest is rather 'meh' to me.  I will enjoy it, I am sure.  Bit it isn't going to be on my favorite list.

I don't understand the concern with Raj getting a GF in terms of screentime. Raj is going to get screentime, regardless. We can either have him have pathetic screentime where he whines about being alone and making sexual innuendos, or have him have meaningful screentime with a girl, overcoming his issues. I really don't see the problem. The only difference from before is that instead of Raj scenes being Raj alone it will be Raj and Lucy. And she sounds cool. The only problem I have is that it might be too soon to develop him that way, because once he overcomes his problem I don't know what else there is to play with with him. We'll see how it works out.

The thing with FWF is that it was considered to be a Shamy thing, rather than a Sheldon thing, that's the reason for the upset there. I'm not a fan of the choice of doing it without Amy. But it is a detail in the grand scheme of things, I guess.

Huh?  You acknowledge that there's development in Raj's scenes (a large portion of the episode) but think it's a "filler" episode?  Additionally, with Penny's scenes, we're reminded (after how long?) that she's still interested in acting and that she's doing quite well.  People have been asking for development with Penny's acting for years.  Surely you don't think the established relationships are the only storylines worthy of development?

Thank you. That was NO filler just because there wasn't a certain amount of Shamy action. LOL. The episode I saw last night was great IMO. Seeing Penny up there acting in her play and Leonard, Sheldon & Amy supporting her in the audience. Sheldon actually admitting that she's really good and it's a shame she can remember her lines so well but forgets about the "no tomato" on his hamburger as a waitress. LOL!

I really enjoyed the whole episode. Amy was hilairious, yelling at her monkeys, etc. "That better be Tootsie Rolls you're throwin' at me!!!"

It was great...

Monique

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 6

BTW, THANK YOU ALL for the "THANK YOU'S" It was my pleasure sharing the behind the scenes tidbits this week. Next week, it's my turn to write the report. Geez, I can't believe that we're almost at the end of the season!

Monique

• Like 1

Thank you. That was NO filler just because there wasn't a certain amount of Shamy action. LOL. The episode I saw last night was great IMO. Seeing Penny up their acting in her play and Leonard, Sheldon & Amy supporting her in the audience. Sheldon actually admitting that she's really good and it's a shame she can remember her lines so well but forgets about the "no tomato" on her hamburger as a waitress. LOL!

I really enjoyed the whole episode. Amy was hilairious, yelling at her monkeys, etc. "That better be Tootsie Rolls you're throwin' at me!!!"

It was great...

Monique

Great, great, great ! Sorry to impose but while you're here, do you remember which tiny bit of A Streetcar... Penny played ? What it was about ?