Season 6 spoilers

Pomita

Woah. Guys. Hang on. Don't argue. Well, over Shamy. Can we all just get along?

I cannot believe I am saying that.

Well, in my opinion, whether they show it or not, we can't do anything else besides wait for the episode or not watch at all, since they've already taped episodes and no arguments or wailing from us can stop them. I'll get my diving gear. I'll try to feed the shark myself.

Edited by jeanalice
  • Like 3

I just disagree with almost everything you say about Sheldon or Shamy.

And by all means, feel free to disagree. You just don't need to get so angry about it. Jeez.

I actually think you're not getting my posts at all or not reading them properly, our views are actually not very different, you're just getting up in arms about that *one* scene that I'm not a fan of and inferring that I'm against Sheldon and Amy moving forward with things, which is totally not the case.

Anyway, let's move on.

Woah. Guys. Hang on. Don't argue. Well, over Shamy. Can we all just get along?

I cannot believe I am saying that.

Well, in my opinion, whether they show it or not, we can't do anything else besides wait for the episode or not watch at all, since they've already taped episodes and no arguments or wailing from us can stop them. I'll get my diving gear. I'll try to feed the shark myself.

Good idea, we all have our own opinions and it's okay to express them but not undermine others. Honestly though I'd love to be the writers right now and watch people fight over a couple I created...I'd see that as success in my books!

As far as the Shamy goes, as long as the writers stay smart about it and don't feel the need to rush things with them (which they've been doing a great job of so far) then I am completely happy with where ever they may take them. I would even be okay if they never had sex and just got to the point of passionately kissing by show's end. LOL. I'd be good with that. As long as it's believable for a character like Sheldon.

Also, yes, we should all able to dislike or like things without others jumping down our throats. I've had to call one or two people out on that myself on this forum. I actually love that this forum is full of such great and mature people. We don't always agree but we can still get along :-). IMDb is a joke compared to this place. LOL.

Monique

• Like 2

Since I am a Lenny fan, I would like nothing more than the writers to screw around with the Shamy and leave the Lenny relationship alone for a long while. But then I am very biased.

I will wait on the spanking comments until I see the episode, because I know I liked episode 6.08 much better after I saw it then when I read the taping report. The taping report doesn't give you the actors or the editors creative inputs to the scene.

• Like 2

I will wait on the spanking comments until I see the episode, because I know I liked episode 6.08 much better after I saw it then when I read the taping report. The taping report doesn't give you the actors or the editors creative inputs to the scene.

I was actually worried The 43 Peculiarity would be one of the worst ones so far until I saw it on TV! I was too quick to judge last time so I hope you're right this time around!

Hey Krys! *hug*. According to different reports on people who went to the taping of The Launch Acceleration, when they were shooting the last scene and before Mark said action, Jim reportedly slapped Mayim's butt real hard while he was lying on the couch and she was standing next to him. Jim, Mayim & the whole crew bursted into laughing so hard they had to stop the taping for a few minutes so everybody could get back into character.

A lot of us were expecting that to be included on S5's Blooper Reel but it didn't happen :(

Now that I think about it.. couldn't the spanking scene be at least in a certain degree derived from Jim's impulse that day? I mean, Jim is usually very professional and polite and not one to be goofing around on set so I can see how that action could have influenced the writers into thinking about Sheldon and butt-slapping as well.

Wow! :wub: u:)

Great! Now I gotta read a billion taping reports! :p I havent been able to but I'm on Holiday break so I guess I'll do that today instead of shopping :) But if it happened last year what does that have to do with this year? I must have missed something. I haven't read the taping report of 6.10 so is that what I'm missing??

If Jim weren't gay do you think they'd have something IRL?

Okay, WOW! OMG! WTF? I just read 6.10! I have no words...

Edited by Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

I don't have a problem with physical contact for shamy. I've been waiting for it, and wanting it, for a while now.

I have a personal issue with spanking being portrayed as something a grown woman would enjoy from a man. A playful slap on the behind is one thing, but a woman lying down on a man for punishment (inflicting pain for enjoyment) to me, is something I don't want to see on TV, particularly my favorite show.

I know it can be considered "kinky" or whatever, but for me, it's just wrong, and they did it with my favorite couple.

I'm not a prude. I don't have a problem with anything else in episode -- I am actually looking forward to the rest of it. There are some people out there, though, like me, that don't see spanking as a sexual thing to be enjoyed.

My soapbox again. I am done.

Can I just ask... I've read a lot of this "It's a step in the right direction" with regards to that particular scene but no real explanation as to why. Why do you see it as necessary, given all the other scenes involving physical contact that are already in the episode?

Imo, it doesn't do much for Sheldon as a character because it is meant to be portrayed as if he is completely oblivious to the sexual implications. If anything I find it ironic that Shamy shippers are all excited about it because it speaks volumes about the fact that Sheldon is not even close to sex crossing his mind. And some will just use it as further evidence that he is asexual and has no interest in Amy physically. On top of that, it just gives more fodder to those who like to bash Amy for being sex-craved and weird. That's why I have a problem with the scene. It's not the scene itself, it's what I know it will do for the perception of Amy as a character. I am already mentally preparing myself for all the flaming that will be happening the next day.

The Star Trek doctor role play... now THAT was a great scene. No physical contact there but the sexual undertones were huge! And Sheldon was enjoying it. This one... he.

Now, as I said, it might simply be one scene that's done for laughs and once it's done they'll forget about it and move on. BUT, the above could also be true, and if they did have a deeper reason to include it, speaking as someone who would like to see the Shamy progress into physical intimacy, however slowly, this whole thing is not making me feel any better.

So forgive me for not being excited about it. I might get excited about it in hindsight when I'll see some signs of progress in later episodes. At the moment, I liken this scene to the Alien Parasite episode where Amy did not feel anything holding Sheldon's hand. Later on in the show he did start to get "her motor running", so that scene doesn't matter anymore, but back then it would have been kind of a downer if you didn't know what was coming next. That's how I feel about this scene.

• Like 3

I concur that reading about something and watching it can give totally different impressions. So while I was a bit jaw-dropped (and confused about my own feelings) after reading the E10 report, I would reserve my opinion about the the spanking scene (or about the panned E11 for that matter) till after I see them. This is Jim and Mayim, after all - they both have the potential of making magic out of completely bizarre material.

Regarding Sheldon's apparent innocence and lack of any kind of arousal during the whole episode; I still think it was because he simply can't associate eroticism with the scenario of taking care of a sick person. So that part of his instinct gets suppressed. We already know that he's capable of 'inappropriate affectionate feelings' for her during a Star Trek role play, or during his fantasies, so clearly the problem is not that she doesn't turn him on at all. It's more likely that it's just because he's a man of such fixed notions; he associates caregiving and vaporub-rubbing with motherliness. And even his idea of spanking could have followed from that association.

Edited by Pomita

Regarding Sheldon's apparent innocence and lack of any kind of arousal during the whole episode; I still think it was because he simply can't associate eroticism with the scenario of taking care of a sick person. So that part of his instinct gets suppressed. We already know that he's capable of 'inappropriate affectionate feelings' for her during a Star Trek role play, or during his fantasies, so clearly the problem is not that she doesn't turn him on at all. It's more likely that it's just because he's a man of such fixed notions; he associates caregiving and vaporub-rubbing with motherliness. And even his idea of spanking could have followed from that association.

Oh I totally agree, that's why I don't have a problem with the Vaporub scenes or the bathing thing at all, I'm looking forward to those. What I'm asking is, if the point of the ep is essentially to show that he's starting to have a lot of physical/intimate contact with her (and her germs, lol) without freaking out, that was accomplished perfectly without the need for that final scene. The only way I could see that final scene be relevant would have been if they were intending to show that all that close proximity had resulted in his naughty side starting to come out. But it does the exact opposite. So, imo, there's no point in having it in there.

As for the "affectionate feelings"... well, he did not mean that in a sexual way in that episode, he tells Leonard off for suggesting it. There have been no signs so far that his "motor" is running. And that's fine! It's still early. I'm sure that will come with time. But I stand by what I said regarding the spanking.

Can I just ask... I've read a lot of this "It's a step in the right direction" with regards to that particular scene but no real explanation as to why. Why do you see it as necessary, given all the other scenes involving physical contact that are already in the episode?

Imo, it doesn't do much for Sheldon as a character because it is meant to be portrayed as if he is completely oblivious to the sexual implications. If anything I find it ironic that Shamy shippers are all excited about it because it speaks volumes about the fact that Sheldon is not even close to sex crossing his mind. And some will just use it as further evidence that he is asexual and has no interest in Amy physically. On top of that, it just gives more fodder to those who like to bash Amy for being sex-craved and weird. That's why I have a problem with the scene. It's not the scene itself, it's what I know it will do for the perception of Amy as a character. I am already mentally preparing myself for all the flaming that will be happening the next day.

The Star Trek doctor role play... now THAT was a great scene. No physical contact there but the sexual undertones were huge! And Sheldon was enjoying it. This one... he.

Now, as I said, it might simply be one scene that's done for laughs and once it's done they'll forget about it and move on. BUT, the above could also be true, and if they did have a deeper reason to include it, speaking as someone who would like to see the Shamy progress into physical intimacy, however slowly, this whole thing is not making me feel any better.

So forgive me for not being excited about it. I might get excited about it in hindsight when I'll see some signs of progress in later episodes. At the moment, I liken this scene to the Alien Parasite episode where Amy did not feel anything holding Sheldon's hand. Later on in the show he did start to get "her motor running", so that scene doesn't matter anymore, but back then it would have been kind of a downer if you didn't know what was coming next. That's how I feel about this scene.

Yeah, for me, the spanking scene isn't a huge deal. What gets ME excited is the fact that he turned around and knocked on her door and decided he wanted to do what was right and take care of his girlfriend while she was sick. I thought the whole thing was really sweet :-). That is actually quite an accomplishment for Sheldon.

Monique

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 3

I am a big fan of the Shamy (and the Lenny and the Howadette, too, BTW, and don't see any of them in competition with the others.)

I don't know that I see this episode as being some big harbinger of what is or is not to come for the Shamy. I do think that it shows some growth or maturing on Sheldon's part as he makes the decision to take care if her, not just because of the Relationship Agreement, which would be typical, but also because he cares about her as his girlfriend.

That statement, to me, is the truth of the Shamy section of this episode, whether it involves Vaporub, baths or spankings.

I do think that Jim and the writers have mentioned that one of the important things about Amy is that Sheldon doesn't mind her touching him. Now, this was fairly early on, before the Rel. Agreement, but it still holds true. However, I don't think that Sheldon's decision to take care of her has anything to do with sexuality, but simply with his growing empathy toward Amy as his girlfriend and as a human being.

Again, I see the spanking as simply a sort of continuation, albeit in a different direction. He does get sort of "scoldy" toward her over her deception, but I don't think that his choice of spanking as a punishment is a bid to touch her, or a type of kink, or anything more complicated than what he says--a form of punishment that he understands.

I also don't think that his inability to see any kind of sexual aspect in the things he's doing, including the spanking, means that he's completely asexual and will never have any desire for Amy.

I think that it is what it is--a funny look at the way Sheldon sees things as compared to how anyone else would see it. Perhaps the experience will work on him subconsciously, but I don't think it's meant to be some kind of billboard for the relationship.

• Like 1

This happened last season...

"The best moment though was hands down at the end scene and it was completely silent as they were getting ready to yell "action" and Jim just slapped Mayim on her butt really good. Everyone just burst out laughing...the audience, jim, mayim, and even on the crew because it was so unexpected and they needed a minute to stop laughing to get back into character."

http://www.fanforum.com/62517156-post198.html

This happened last season...

"The best moment though was hands down at the end scene and it was completely silent as they were getting ready to yell "action" and Jim just slapped Mayim on her butt really good. Everyone just burst out laughing...the audience, jim, mayim, and even on the crew because it was so unexpected and they needed a minute to stop laughing to get back into character."

http://www.fanforum....56-post198.html

Cool, thanks!

Monique

I agree with Phanta and MJ. The milestone in this episode was Sheldon staying back to take care of Amy because he cares, and that is the part which gave me warm fuzzies. :wub: The unintentional physicality later one was meant more for humour - just Amy having a bit of fun, playing on his cluelessness - and also to confirm that Sheldon, at the very least, is comfortable with physical contact with her. For him, just that comfort itself is a significant thing.

As for the "affectionate feelings"... well, he did not mean that in a sexual way in that episode, he tells Leonard off for suggesting it. There have been no signs so far that his "motor" is running. And that's fine! It's still early. I'm sure that will come with time. But I stand by what I said regarding the spanking.

I strongly believe that Sheldon used the work 'affectionate' there because it was a safe and neutral word to use - he certainly wouldn't be comfortable with putting the label 'feelings of attraction' on something he himself felt. But that is clearly what he was feeling. I mean, 'affection' is something you feel for friends and family, in a completely non-sexual, non-romantic way. He talked of fantasizing about 'her dandruff cascading on her pale shoulders'. That image, and the way he said it - seriously, would you imagine such things about a friend or family member? Dreaming about their bare shoulders?

No, Sheldon's thoughts definitely had erotic evertones. He just wouldn't know to, or want to, call it that.

• Like 1