The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Popular things you don't like?

Are there things that everybody seems to like that you just don't understand at all?

Ugly Betty is a popular TV show which lots of people talk about, I do not like it. I also don't like The Office, which also has this cult following that seems to make loads of people I know like it. I just don't find it funny, didn't like the British original either.

I HATE text speak. It irritates me more than actual words can say. I also never found The Office (Uk or US) funny. Or Friends. I hate big Brother with a passion, and I've never seen High School Musical (nor do I want to). I also cannot stand things like American Idol/Pop Idol. I think it is just encouraging a whole generation to not *try* to make something of themselves either educationally or socially as they believe that fame and fortune will just *drop* into their laps with little to no effort, and I find the premise of giving people hope in such a thing then broadcasting them on TV to ridicule them (and the harsh comments that go along with it) as deeply sad and I cannot understand how anyone could derive enjoyment from that.

Twilight. It's not that I don't like it, actually. It's just that I fail to see the interest in it being that the story is nothing new. But I don't knock anyone for liking it, you know?

I dont like nightclubs whatsoever, to be honest i'd rather watch a film than go out to one. Also all the stereotypical people where i live.

i dont get girlyness - people who plaster their cars with pink 'powered by fairydust' and tinkerbell decals, fluffy toys and just pink in general - i dont understand the mindset that makes people like this kind of stuff. how can anyone think stuff that is pink, fluffy, sparkly and girly looks good? each to their own i guess though.

coke. yeah, believe it or not, I've never drunk it. as a matter of fact I've never drunk any soda drinks o.o yeah i'ts really wired and stuff, but what can I do? xD the gas hurts my tongue ç_ç I've only tried it once when I was 5, but spited all in the ground xD

" the reality like shows like Big Brother."

I agree. I think it's popularity lies in the fact that people can unobtrusively view the contestants and then have a good gossip about them the next day.

Ugly Betty - the first time I heard about that show, I felt sorry for any kids who were named Betty, and had to go to school the next day.

I also never found The Office (Uk or US) funny. Or Friends.

I agree. work in an office and have to spend a lot of time listening to people talking bollox. The last thing I want to do after getting home is to turn on the TV and listen to a load of people in an office talking bollox! I never found it funny anyway

Same with friends. I had 1 mild chuckle in all the episodes I happened to overhear.

and I've never seen High School Musical (nor do I want to).

You got that right, although Titanic is top of my list of films never to see in my life.

I also cannot stand things like American Idol/Pop Idol.

Yep, it's all about celebrity these days, and I refuse to read any paper or watch any program which panders to it. This means, of course , that a lot of programmes are out of my schedule but that means more time to do other things.

By the way , I also hate programmes about cookery (pimp my menu), gardening ( help me piss the neighbours off), interior design (help me piss off the relatives I invite around so I can show off my new house look)

'Do you think you can dance?' --I don't know if you think you can, nor do i care much. If you think you can well then, good on ya mate. 'Family Guy' --I hate that sociopathic baby. The jokes are just lewd and stupid. 'Fringe' --A bad wannabe rehash of The X-Files. Mulder and Scully did it better.

TWILIGHT!! I've been reading Jane Austen all summer, a) because I love her novels and B) as a Twilight protest. I hated Twitter until yesterday, when I tried it out and promptly became an addict.

I dont like reality TV shows, nor do I like cringe comedy.

Does that include Fawlty Towers and Larry Sanders. While Fawlty Towers had some cracking jokes in it, I suppose I am just too serious to laugh at his misfortunes .Don't find the sanders show funny either. I guess I dont like laughing AT people. One foot in the grave, while similar, is amusing because he is just the unluckiest person that ever lived. Its amusing how things can start so bad and just keep getting worse. Unlike Fawlty or Sanders he doesnt bring it on himself, it's just fate being a bitch!.

I cant stand Borat or similar types of comedy. "Hey, I don't know how to be funny, so I will just give people a laugh at innocent victims' expense."

I dont like reality TV shows, nor do I like cringe comedy.

Does that include Fawlty Towers and Larry Sanders. While Fawlty Towers had some cracking jokes in it, I suppose I am just too serious to laugh at his misfortunes .Don't find the sanders show funny either. I guess I dont like laughing AT people. One foot in the grave, while similar, is amusing because he is just the unluckiest person that ever lived. Its amusing how things can start so bad and just keep getting worse. Unlike Fawlty or Sanders he doesnt bring it on himself, it's just fate being a bitch!.

I cant stand Borat or similar types of comedy. "Hey, I don't know how to be funny, so I will just give people a laugh at innocent victims' expense."

"Don't mention the war" - it's brilliant

Crutons- yuck. Think about it: it's nothing but old, stale bread. What Einstein invented that?? "Let me sprinkle some old food (bread) on top of some fresh food (salad) mmmm, delish"! *gags* :icon_frown:

"Don't mention the war" - it's brilliant

yes, that's a classic. I would love to hear a German comedian doing the same routine in front of a British audience, but finishing with... "You did...you invaded Iraq."

I would'nt call Faulty Towers cringe TV, it was made years before that type of comedy was introduced. As for Larry Sanders...nope never heard of him!

It's not that I don't understand Twilight, I don't wish to. It's so fad-ish that it kind of turns me off. Even though I'm just about the only one of my friends who hasn't read the books. That and Harry Potter.