Phrases that annoy you?

CharmedOne

"Pfiat di". Its a bavarian (german dialect) version of Good bye which means sth. like "May god protect you". Although i live in bavaria for nearly 2 years now, i still hate it if people say it and i strictly refuse saying it eather.

• 1 month later...

A suggestion for torak: On the american tv show Seinfeld, Jerry didn't like saying "God bless you" after people sneezed, so he started saying "You are SO good lookin' ". When people say "Pfiat di" to you, you could say things like "May the force be with you" or "Smell you later" or "Vaya con Dios amigo" (meaning 'go with God, friend' in Spanish). This will likely confuse them, and they will stop saying "Pfiat di" to you. Let us know how it goes. As for me, (and I realize this isn't a phrase but I have chosen this thread to express my being annoyed by it) I get annoyed when I see an asterisk on a printed page or webpage and when I look around for the note that the asterisk is referring to: THERE ISN'T ONE! I think the people who are doing this have no concept of what an asterisk is and their thought process is something like this: "Ghee, I like all the neat little symbols above the numbers on my keyboard. I wonder if they have standard uses. Hmm when I was in English class I probably should have paid attention instead of daydreaming about poptarts & hotpockets and writing notes to my girl/boyfriend. Oh well, I went to school in the united states so my teachers probably didn't cover it anyway because they were busy teaching us how to write a three paragraph essay for the tenth year in a row. I never did master that three paragraph essay did I? Who cares because now I'm writing webpages on the internet where any old retarded thing goes. I could go for a pepperoni hotpocket right about now. What was I doing? Oh yeah, writing a webpage. Hey, I think I'll put one of those little star thingies at the end of the sentence I'm typing, that'll be cool." I think people who make malevolent computer viruses are creeps, but I would like to make a virus that scans the internet and deletes all stand-alone asterisks that have no purpose other than to annoy and confuse. Thank you to those of you who use asterisks intelligently. That's all I have to say about that.

• 7 months later...

Well, you guys probably don't know, but brazilian portuguese (yes, that's a HUGE diference between brazilian portuguese and portuguese portuguese xD) it's the language with most slangs and "bad words" in the world xD So yeah, there's a LOT of expressions I really hate but I can't possibly explain to you, because there's no equivalent expression in other languages.... xD As for "pre-made phrases" I REALLY hate the "If you love it let it go" kind of thing. It's, like, the most stupid thing in the world. If someone I knew that loved me and let me go just to see if I would come back, I WOULDN'T! English verb conjugation always creepy me out. I have the constant need of puting "ed" in the end of every verb in the past xD I never put it though. At least not anymore *has the FCE already* xD Portuguese verb mecanics are TOTALLY diferent. It's also the most dificult language for other people to learn, but since I KNOW it already... xD

• 2 weeks later...

"Pfiat di". Its a bavarian (german dialect) version of Good bye which means sth. like "May god protect you". Although i live in bavaria for nearly 2 years now, i still hate it if people say it and i strictly refuse saying it eather.

I was working as a porter in a hotel in Hamburg and one of my colleagues came up with an EXCELLENT response to such a phrase. he was in the elevator ready to bring a couple of guests up to their rooms when they said:

"Gruss Gott."

and he replied (in a toally deadpan manner):

"So hoch fahren wir nicht".

Translation:

Guests "Greet God"

Porter: "we're not travelling that high."

They actually put in a complaint against him at the desk!. I thought he deserved an award for that reply.

I dont like the new business term "going forward" .

I DO like "it's all good", as it reminds me of holidays in New York, much like "Alles Klar" reminds me of Germany

I was working as a porter in a hotel in Hamburg and one of my colleagues came up with an EXCELLENT response to such a phrase. he was in the elevator ready to bring a couple of guests up to their rooms when they said:

"Gruss Gott."

and he replied (in a toally deadpan manner):

"So hoch fahren wir nicht".

Translation:

Guests "Greet God"

Porter: "we're not travelling that high."

They actually put in a complaint against him at the desk!. I thought he deserved an award for that reply.

I dont like the new business term "going forward" .

I DO like "it's all good", as it reminds me of holidays in New York, much like "Alles Klar" reminds me of Germany

Thats brilliant I have to try it sometime

My 14 year old daughter has started saying "true", to absolutely everything. It's driving me nuts, I know we moved to Oz 2 years ago, but cut that crap out, even Ozzies don't say it! I also get annoyed when people cant pronounce her name correctly, ok it's Irish Gaelic and only been around for about a thousand years, but f.f.s, it's Eilidh; pronounced Hayley but without the 'H'. How feckin difficult is that!!!! Oh, and my wife also say's "yadda yadda yadda" when she is abbreviating a story, that frakkin annoys me too.

My 14 year old daughter has started saying "true", to absolutely everything. It's driving me nuts, I know we moved to Oz 2 years ago, but cut that crap out, even Ozzies don't say it!

....as in "The Wizard of Oz"? o_o Sorry, but I'm not good with north american geography xD

I also get annoyed when people cant pronounce her name correctly, ok it's Irish Gaelic and only been around for about a thousand years, but f.f.s, it's Eilidh; pronounced Hayley but without the 'H'.

How feckin difficult is that!!!!

Pretty much o__o Sorry about that xD And I'm the one who speakes freaking portuguese, which is the only language in the world with all the fonems, so that means I can pretty much say anything o_o

But don't worry xD My name it's freaking hard for americans too. It's Beatriz, and no, you CAN'T say "Beatrice" cause that's just an old ladies name xD But here in Brasil "Beatriz" it's quite poupular among young people actually o.o I know, like, thousands of them xD

Although must people just call me Bia xD I actually prefer that. And yes, it's pronounced exactly like in 'biatch", thank you very much ¬_¬

I also get annoyed when people cant pronounce her name correctly, ok it's Irish Gaelic and only been around for about a thousand years, but f.f.s, it's Eilidh; pronounced Hayley but without the 'H'.

How feckin difficult is that!!!!

Have to say mate, been livin in the Emerald Isle a few decades now and I havent come across that name before. What's it mean?

....as in "The Wizard of Oz"? o_o Sorry, but I'm not good with north american geography xD

Thank you Raffles, that is the funniest post I have read in a long time.

That's a horse of a different colour that is.

Although must people just call me Bia xD I actually prefer that. And yes, it's pronounced exactly like in 'biatch", thank you very much ¬_¬

I refuse to believe your name is pronounced BA-itch. How is your name really pronounced?

By the way, I hope you don't have a Chinese friend named Ho. :icon_wink:

Thank you Raffles, that is the funniest post I have read in a long time.

That's a horse of a different colour that is.

It's WAFFLES >xD Raffles kinda sounds like Ruffles, you know, the potato chip u.u And why do I have the feeling that you're actually mocking me? ç_ç

I refuse to believe your name is pronounced BA-itch. How is your name really pronounced?

By the way, I hope you don't have a Chinese friend named Ho. :icon_wink:

It isn't BA-itch. It's BI-A-tch. whitout the "tch" of course xD It's just BI-A xD And i'ts a short from, like Willian->Will. And after that I'm not even going to TRY to teach you guys say "Beatriz" xD And I don't know anyone from china o_o

Australia. Oz is a British nickname for it.

Aaaaaaah o_o Thanks a lot Tip xD (I know there's an "r", I'm just gonna ignore it xD)

And how/why the hell did the british people named Australia "Oz"? o.O Is it because it's far away? xD

It's WAFFLES >xD Raffles kinda sounds like Ruffles, you know, the potato chip u.u And why do I have the feeling that you're actually mocking me? ç_ç

Sorry about the typo Waffles. I wasn't mocking you , by the way, I just thought it was funny.

Have to say mate, been livin in the Emerald Isle a few decades now and I havent come across that name before. What's it mean?

It means Helen

Thanks for the info.

@Tip Oh yeah o.o In english pronunciation "Oz" DOES sounds like "aus" xD @smeghead That's ok xD And I though it was irony because before I awnserd I read that's it's actually Australia and then I though "sh*t that was stupid", so if I were you I'd be saying it with irony you know? xD Sorry about that ^^"" Anyway, there's an slang going on here in Brasil (I'm not sure if it is just my city or state, or if it is everywhere xD) that I hate but latelly I've been using a lot whitout noticing xD It literally translates to "smooth" ("suave" in portuguese), and you say it when something it's easy or nice. It goes like: "This test was easy" -> "This test was 'smooth'". "This teacher is really nice to us!" (as in "easy-going") -> "This teacher is really 'smooth'!" (you don't say "to us" in that case xD) It's ridiculous, makes no sense and I hate people who say it, but DAMN it's cacthy u.u

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like words/phrases such as dank, e.g. "That was some dank charlotte rousse, man!" Or bomb. Was it explosively good? Did it give you third degree burns? Incinerate your place of residence? It annoys me to no end when I hear people use negative words in positive situations, for instance when something is sick. How does this make any sense at all? It breaks my heart to see the English language get butchered so.

I don't like words/phrases such as dank, e.g. "That was some dank charlotte rousse, man!" Or bomb. Was it explosively good? Did it give you third degree burns? Incinerate your place of residence? It annoys me to no end when I hear people use negative words in positive situations, for instance when something is sick. How does this make any sense at all? It breaks my heart to see the English language get butchered so.

these phrases come and go. In the last years I have heard things good being referred to as "bangin' " or "pants", both of which are equally stupid but they have now passed on and I am sure they will be replaced by equally dumb phrases. "That nightclub was totally table" or "that song is totally hedgerow" or some such rubbish. My advice... dont lose any sleep over it.

By the way, I love this site...it is totally caterpillar,dude!

• 1 year later...

Bloody hell, netmouse... a 2009 thread?

I had better start checking all my old posts to see what I ones I should delete:icon_mrgreen:

'You have to cop' this or 'don't cop out' : like nails on a chalk board. *shudder*

remember this one Netmouse?:

Scott: "Awww, rack off dad, I don't need you, I don't need eeeeenybody."

Dad: "That's a cop-out Scott, and you know it!"