The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.01 The Date Night Variable (Sept. 27)

Your episode rating  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

Will have to wait till I'm home & can watch episode online.

Happy TBBT is on again, it was my Friday night routine when I finally had time to sit down :)

Um. Interesting observation. Do you know something about the future that others don't?

No just commenting on this one episode and my impression.

A guy brings another guy on an anniversary dinner and wants to go Dutch.

A girl has no desire to say I love you.

Hardly what I would call healthy.

The writers can choose to repair them or finish them off probably over the next dozen episodes.

Status quo till they decide but IMO you can only so that so long.

• Like 1

Haven't watched the episode yet, hope to find it online and watch it back home by tonight.

Bringing someone else on an anniversary dinner is not cool. But IMO, going Dutch is. In fact, I would be offended if my partner wanted to bear the costs all by himself on an anniversary date. I dislike that kind of chivalry; sharing finances works for me, and clearly, it works for Sheldon and Amy too.

Just throwing it out there that different people have different ideas of what constitutes 'healthy' in a relationship.

Thank you for the gif above showing the whole cast sitting on the couch now. I did not notice that last night!

I agree with the post above that they there was too much typical stereotypical behavior with leonard and penny last night. Didn't really find it funny -- too predictable, maybe?

My favorite time of the leonard and penny relationship was in the beginning of season 3 when they were together and happy most of the time. I didn't find it boring at all, and I think it worked better. I'm not sure why we can't get them back to the way they were then. It wasn't stereotypical and they seemed to work together.

About the shamy -- for those that haven't read the spoiler thread, they did two different takes on what would happen after sheldon said what he did to amy. On one take, she got mad when he said it was from spiderman and she stormed out. But they obviously used the other take where she said did not get mad, but seemed ok with it. I feel they made the right decision because it goes more with the amy character. But, if it were me, I would probably have stormed out, lol.

people say happy relationships are boring, well unhappy ones that keep repeating the same mistakes are even more BORING! I'd rather watch a happy couple on tv work through their problems instead of ignoring them like Penny does or whining about them all time like Leonard it just makes them both look pathetic and that is just sad because they could be good together if they just stop repeating the same things.

This. A thousand times this.

On one take, she got mad when he said it was from spiderman and she stormed out. But they obviously used the other take where she said did not get mad, but seemed ok with it. I feel they made the right decision because it goes more with the amy character.

I agree. Amy knows that she has to be patient with Sheldon, and she's willing to give a great deal. I think she knows that he cares for her but simply is uncomfortable with expressing it, and probably with just feeling it at all. I was glad that she threatened to leave, though - because Sheldon will NEVER venture out of his comfort zone unless pushed to do so.

Edited by Europa
  • Like 1

Fairly solid opener for the new season. I enjoyed it and had a couple of lol moments.

Looks like a season of Leonard and Penny getting back together (again)

Sheldon and Amy's dinner date was hilarious. Wondering how much they had to pay NASA to use their zero gravity facility??

Roll on episode 2... :)

Pretty solid episode to open up the season. Leonard's hair looks a little different, longer I guess.

I feel bad for Raj, though. Nobody wanted him around. :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I was impressed with the weightlessness special effects for the space station. While they can do this with software, etc., I would think that would be very hard on the show's budget? Anyone with inside-info on how they did the 'flying pen' ? Perhaps the same way as the Eighties' "2010" movie - just seems over and above for this show. Then again, they may have such effects "canned" now and the expense today is minimal.

I'm curious about that, too.

I know that in the movie Apollo 13 they did some shots on the "Vomit Comet", but for most of the cabin shots, where the actors looked like they were floating, they were actually sitting on these seesaw-like things that would move them up and down.

With these scenes, though, I'm not sure how they did it. I wondered if they had them harnessed and were moving them around in front of a green screen. Dunno.

Edited by phantagrae

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Simon said he had soreness from the harness they used in one of the red carpet interviews at the Emmy's (don't remember which one, sorry), so it was a harness and a green screen

The writers can choose to repair them or finish them off probably over the next dozen episodes.

I think they've laid enough ground work for these two couples that we can see that they're not doomed. The writers seem to be continuing the platform of what it is that keeps these couples from progressing at the same rate and Howard and Bernadette--namely, Sheldon's inability to understand the boyfriend/girlfriend relationship and Penny's fear of taking the plunge.

Amy, for all her social awkwardness, isn't the same ascetic sort of person that Sheldon is. She's the girl who always wanted to be like Penny--socially adept, desired by men, etc.--but couldn't acheive that. She's also dedicated to science and seemingly devoted herself to that after assuming she would never be that fantasy girl. But now that she's got "a posse, a boyfriend and a bra that unhooks in the front", she's feeling more self-assertive. Or maybe she was always self-assertive, just in a different way.

Anyway, she's ready to move their relationship into a higher level.

Sheldon, though he's eschewed any kind of thought of romance or romantic relationships or phyisical relationships, has found himself drawn to Amy enough to expand his experience a little. But he's still in that controlling mode where he wants to define the parameters of everything around him, including his relationship with Amy. As with Leonard and the Roommate Agreement, he seeks to keep his life ordered on his terms with the Boyfriend/Girlfriend Relationship Agreement. So, in his view, there's nothing wrong with bringing a third party along on date night because he's not specifically prevented from doing so.

Though he actually does want Amy to be his girlfriend, he's still not comfortable with all the aspects of the agreement, probably insisted upon by her--the public displays of affection, etc. So, to his mind, bringing Raj along is simply practical and helps to appease Amy.

It's not that he doesn't want to be in the relationship, it's just that he is still kind of blind to what it means.

And I wouldn't be surprised if going Dutch was part of their Agreement, since it would seem practical and fair, in Sheldon's eyes.

Goodness I thought for a moment Sheldon was really going to say something heartfelt to Amy....I was on the edge of my seat!

Same with Raj demanding Penny tell Leonard, once and for all, tell him she loves him.

And BOTH times I ended up laughing hysterically!!! :lol:

I think part of what holds Sheldon back is that he doesn't want to be like "normal" people. Normal people have relationships. Sheldon sees himself as the next step in human evolution, and looks down on things from the lesser species. He's full of crap, but he does believe that.

I am sick to death of Penny. Leonard needs to break up with her. She treats him like garbage and has no appreciation for him. Leonard needs to dump her and go find that girl from the comic book store.

• Like 1

Finally, I found a pretty cool place to dicuss the show. xD

So I watched the premiere of the new season last night, since I just into the show last year. This was the first time I had watched the premiere of a season. Now enough about that.

I had watched a good amount of episodes before yesterday had even come close. I wanna say, personally, that this episode was alright. For positive aspects, the show still had some funny moments, and I enjoy those tidbits. Especially when Amy was waxing her mustache with Penny's help. That scene was pretty funny. Even when Amy said when she did this in high school, she made a cover story and told the kids that she had herpies. Oh Amy. xD

Now for the bad points, where do I begin...

The couples weren't both good or bad, but just left me uneasy. Sheldon and Amy seem to have made a decent recovery at the end, yet I still enjoy these two together. Although I don't like Sheldon's hair... >_> It just distracts me, in a bad way. Lenord and Penny; I like the guys, especially individually, but they're relationship is really fragile and has a lot of conflictions. Either they pick the pieces back up and put em together, or just end all connections together. I like Penny a lot as her own character, but if this relationship isn't going to work out well, then no... please don't keep her and Lenord always on the edge. I like them all as friends.

Howard and Bernadette have made great progress. But now, Howard has some tough issues as well. I also love Bernadette, she's a cutie pie and tough as nails. I hope their issues get solved, because I love having them together. Especially now that they're married.

Raj... I'm sorry, but I can't find the appeal of him from this episode. Yes, I know how it may feel to be lonely when your friends are out on dates, but it doesn't affect me too much. At the end of the episode, I had some vibes of what may be coming out way, for Raj, in the next few episodes. I suppose whatever happens, it can't hurt. I mean, TV shows only live once... unless they're revived, which rarely happens. But that's besides the point.

Decent episode to below averge, for me at least. Not one of my favorites, for sure.

• Like 1

It was a good season opener.

There were some real LOL moments in there for me. I don't know the Spiderman lines by heart, so was really surprised when Sheldon started saying all that....Had I been Amy, I would have left...but we all know what a giant crush Amy has on Sheldon, he could almost do anything to her & she would end up forgiving him...Amy needs a bit more backbone....this way she will turn into a Leonard, that lets Penny walk all over him imo...Good thing they ( L & P ) kicked out Raj at one point.

Yay My Friday BBT routine is back :icon_wink:

Edited by Jacks

I was glad that she threatened to leave, though - because Sheldon will NEVER venture out of his comfort zone unless pushed to do so.

I agree. She need's to get a little sassy with Sheldon at times because clearly, he has lots to learn about being in a relationship. He's the one who asked her out so he's gotta learn to do it right.

There are a few of you who would have walked out on him after the Spiderman line but not me. He quoted Spiderman, yes, but he CHOSE a quote that best suits how he truly feels about Amy. That speaks volumes in itself. That was a huge step for Sheldon. In the future, he'll get to a point where he won't need quotes to say how he feels. LOL.

Monique

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 1

I just watched the episode. I thought it was sweet, though not LOL funny. I admit to loving the Sheldon/Amy date most of all - both the comedic aspect of it (Sheldon being clueless) and the unexpected moment of depth. He had my heart in his hands when he said those lines, and even if they were quoted, he has to know they're just PERFECT for what's between the two of them - I don't believe it was an act. Sheldon's not that good at deception, and he said it with real feeling. I totally agree with the following:

I agree. She need's to get a little sassy with Sheldon at times because clearly, he has lots to learn about being in a relationship. He's the one who asked her out so he's gotta learn to do it right.

There are a few of you who would have walked out on him after the Spiderman line but not me. He quoted Spiderman, yes, but he CHOSE a quote that best suits how he truly feels about Amy. That speaks volumes in itself. That was a huge step for Sheldon. In the future, he'll get to a point where he won't need quotes to say how he feels. LOL.

This really was the best we could expect from Sheldon at this point, I think, as regards expressing his emotions.

Other than that, I found the Leonard/Penny aspect frustratingly more-of-the-same, but aggressive Raj telling Penny like it is was wonderful. I certainly hope Penny gets into a bit of soul-searching further down this season, and stops treating Leonard with the kind of almost disrespectful inconsistency that's become usual for her lately.

The Howard/mom/Bernadette story was rather predictable, though it was cool to see Howard (and the fountain pen) floating around. I also thoroughly enjoyed the Russian cosmonaut's lines, especially his wondering how these people won the Cold War. :D

Edited by Pomita
  • Like 1

I saw red danger flags flashing:

I thought outsourcing the date to Raj was pretty bad (hysterical though) but then going Dutch was another sign when Sheldon not only is famous for not caring about money, lends it easily (to Penny or buys her dinner) & has been through Cotillion; he knows exactly what a gentleman should do: pay. Amy pulled her big card: the break-up. How many times can the writers have her threaten to do this without it becoming utterly lame and dull? I go for status quo for Shamy.

It would be fun if either Amy helped Raj with his mutism or they go to a day spa together & he helps her with hair, dress tips, etc. His metrosexual ways paired with Amy could be lots of fun.

Leonard's called a girl & a groveller; brutal. I portend break-up.

It would be fun if either Amy helped Raj with his mutism or they go to a day spa together & he helps her with hair, dress tips, etc. His metrosexual ways paired with Amy could be lots of fun.

That would be a great idea :-).

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I don't think Sheldon and Amy splitting the check was bad. I split the check or take turns with my bf everytime we go out. I don't like nobody paying for my stuff, even if it is my boyfriend. I have my own money, thank you.

I think Amy would be like that too, she has a good job and a good paycheck every month, why should Sheldon pay for it? "The Gentleman Should Pay" stuff is SO last century. It was a costume back when women didn't work and obviously couldn't pay for stuff (or in the case of Penny, is too much used to mooching).

ETA; I don't see any breakups on the horizon. Amy threatened to break up with Sheldon twice in this episode, yes. But BOTH times, Sheldon stopped her from leaving. He's not letting her go anywhere. As for Leonard & Penny, I don't see them breaking up either, although Penny does need to get her s**** together.

Edited by Sursonica

I don't think Sheldon and Amy splitting the check was bad. I split the check or take turns with my bf everytime we go out. I don't like nobody paying for my stuff, even if it is my boyfriend. I have my own money, thank you.

I think Amy would be like that too, she has a good job and a good paycheck every month, why should Sheldon pay for it? "The Gentleman Should Pay" stuff is SO last century. It was a costume back when women didn't work and obviously couldn't pay for stuff (or in the case of Penny, is too much used to mooching).

ETA; I don't see any breakups on the horizon. Amy threatened to break up with Sheldon twice in this episode, yes. But BOTH times, Sheldon stopped her from leaving. He's not letting her go anywhere. As for Leonard & Penny, I don't see them breaking up either, although Penny does need to get her s**** together.

I have a platonic guy friend (he's a boy, he's my friend, but he's not my boyfriend!) and we used to always pay our own way when we'd go out to eat or to the movies or whatever, but at some point in the last several years he's just started paying for dinner himself. We really only see each other every 2 to 4 years nowadays because he's been working overseas for the past 20 years, so it's not like it's a hardship. I don't object because I don't have any reason to. If he wants to buy me dinner, that's fine with me. :icon_wink:

Edited by phantagrae

Ahh, yes agreed with getting back to routine.

LOVE RAJ! In all scenes even though he wears sandals and socks.

Can't wait for Howard to get back.

I think it's cruel of Penny to lead Leonard on..

Not amazingly funny. I liked Amy's 'Get out!' comment to Raj when he suggested they get to know each other and he had a few good lines but it wasn't the funniest episode ever. The best moment was when Sheldon quoted Spiderman. It wasn't quite as good as when Toby McGuire does it in the film but it was definitely the stand out moment. I'd love to say that quote to someone, even if it is blatant plagiarism. Of course Sheldon dug that one out, it's awesome. 

That was a disappointing 4 month wait. Boring episode.

I love Leonard and Penny but wow she can be a real horses ***. Here you have Leonard who wants to talk about things and she just shuns him away. It's like she just likes the idea of a boyfriend but not really having one.

I left wondering if they are going to make Raj gay since being straight has been a flop.