73 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like Sheldon will still have the Hitler hair this season.

I just watched the episode. I thought it was sweet, though not LOL funny. I admit to loving the Sheldon/Amy date most of all - both the comedic aspect of it (Sheldon being clueless) and the unexpected

I agree. I was just thinking about this in re-watching this episode and considering his behavior with Amy in other situations. Time and again he's had the opportunity to end things with her and he w

Well Thank Chuck for SHAMY! cause for me they are the new Lenny and have been for a long while now so I hope they don't screw Shamy up too. So far so good though because what Sheldon said to Amy tonight was perfect and funny! I know he meant what he said I know he did even if it was a movie quote it came from the heart you can tell by the way he said it and that he didn't say Bazinga afterwards I was afraid they'd have him say that at the end of his adorable speech and ruin it, but they didn't so YEAH!!. :)

He is just nervous/scared moving forward in their relationship, but also excited about it. I think even my ovaries got happy when Sheldon saidbeing with Amy makes him feel excited! I mean it least we know this means he does actually FEEL! He feels a lot and he wants her he's just scared of having things move to fast physically speaking, but emotionally he's feeling it and hey what he said to Amy was more emotionally honest than anything Penny has ever said too Leonard the entire time they've known each other so WAY TO GO SHELDON!

Sheldon even wants their relationship to continue too so you know he's a good person inside and once he finally learns to open up physically its going to be so SWEET, but I want them to take their time with that. I think they will end up married just like Howard/Bernadette. I'm almost sure of it, because of that line Amy said to Penny about if Sheldon had propose to her in bed she'd clamp on and never let go. I think Sheldon is going to play hard to get for as long as he can perhaps all season long he will, but eventually he'll give in and once he does it'll be on like Alderean!! for Shamy!

I'm not sure Sheldon feels any of this. He was quoting Peter Parker from Spiderman, word for word. I think he just used that to get Amy to stay so he could have his ride home.

I'm not sure Sheldon feels any of this. He was quoting Peter Parker from Spiderman, word for word. I think he just used that to get Amy to stay so he could have his ride home.

Yes, he quoted. And I'm willing to believe that he may not have consciously processed his own feelings at that time, while quoting. But two things stand out here - firstly, Sheldon isn't a good actor (Jim Parsons is, but Sheldon isn't). He's horrible at putting on an act or fooling anyone. If he really had just quoted like a parrot, then that's what it would have sounded like. Instead, they played it in a way that made it sound sincere. Also, why did he choose that specific dialogue, which of all things can reflect a bit of Sheldon's possible feelings at this time ('excited and terrified')? Remember his dichotomy between fear and excitement in Launch Acceleration, when he talks to Leonard of his inappropriate affectionate feelings for Amy, and when he says 'I'm in hell - don't stop'? The sentiment of the Spiderman quote was remarkably similar to that struggle. The only implication can be that at least a part of him knows that this is how he actually feels.

Secondly, it was most definitely not just about his ride home. Why? Because we've seen all along that Sheldon, at the very least, gets upset and uncomfortable whenever Amy is angry with him (or sad in general). We've seen it right from Zazzy Substitution to Isolation Permutation to Vacation Solution to Shiny Trinket Maneuver. He's willing to go out of his way to buy her a tiara, or say a sincere 'sorry', or cuddle with her all night at inconvenience to himself when she's upset. None of those situations involved Sheldon having any selfish motive for himself, other than just being on good terms with Amy.

So no, I don't think that all of a sudden now, when Amy is upset and walking away from him, Sheldon's only concern would be his ride home. That contradicts everything we've seen of his attitude towards Amy so far.

I know what you mean walerob. Sheldon chose a quote that meant something to him, but it's ambiguous. How much of it did he mean? It's hard to say with this character and that's what makes him interesting. He left off the real doozey at the end though, when Peter Palmer adds "It's as if you reached the unreachable and you weren't ready for it". Heck, it worked on me, I only went and watched Spiderman that weekend :icon_cheesygrin: and Toby Maguire's delivery of that line is out of this world.

Yes, he quoted. And I'm willing to believe that he may not have consciously processed his own feelings at that time, while quoting. But two things stand out here - firstly, Sheldon isn't a good actor (Jim Parsons is, but Sheldon isn't). He's horrible at putting on an act or fooling anyone. If he really had just quoted like a parrot, then that's what it would have sounded like. Instead, they played it in a way that made it sound sincere. Also, why did he choose that specific dialogue, which of all things can reflect a bit of Sheldon's possible feelings at this time ('excited and terrified')? Remember his dichotomy between fear and excitement in Launch Acceleration, when he talks to Leonard of his inappropriate affectionate feelings for Amy, and when he says 'I'm in hell - don't stop'? The sentiment of the Spiderman quote was remarkably similar to that struggle. The only implication can be that at least a part of him knows that this is how he actually feels.

Secondly, it was most definitely not just about his ride home. Why? Because we've seen all along that Sheldon, at the very least, gets upset and uncomfortable whenever Amy is angry with him (or sad in general). We've seen it right from Zazzy Substitution to Isolation Permutation to Vacation Solution to Shiny Trinket Maneuver. He's willing to go out of his way to buy her a tiara, or say a sincere 'sorry', or cuddle with her all night at inconvenience to himself when she's upset. None of those situations involved Sheldon having any selfish motive for himself, other than just being on good terms with Amy.

So no, I don't think that all of a sudden now, when Amy is upset and walking away from him, Sheldon's only concern would be his ride home. That contradicts everything we've seen of his attitude towards Amy so far.

I agree.

I was just thinking about this in re-watching this episode and considering his behavior with Amy in other situations. Time and again he's had the opportunity to end things with her and he won't do it. If he had no real feelings for Amy, why would he go through what seemed like an uncomfortable moment of asking her to be his girlfriend in the first place?

He struggled in that episode with the idea that he really did want Amy as a girlfriend. Leonard, I think it was, asked him why he didn't just admit that he had feelings for Amy and that he didn't want her dating anyone else. Penny told him to "strap on a pair" (of skates?--I love that line!) and just tell her how he feels, or whatever.

I think that his drawing on Spiderman for an appropriate sentiment is, as others have pointed out, no different than a guy finding a suitable quote in a Shakespeare sonnet or love poem, or even a love song (that's why people used to make mix tapes!) to express feelings that he could not articulate in his own words.

Sheldon is still stuck between the somewhat disengaged person that he always fancied himself to be and the newly connected person he is becoming. They joke on the show about Sheldon hitting puberty, and in a way this really is kind of what some of his behaviors are like.

When kids are coming out of that "I hate boys/I hate girls" phase and are starting to find that they actually like people of the opposite sex, they often go through a period where they find it hard to admit that they like someone, partly because it's not quite cool yet.

If you've always said, "I hate girls!", then all of a sudden you find yourself liking a girl "that way", you might find that your guy friends give you a hard time about it, so you won't admit it to your friends and have trouble admitting it to yourself, and find it almost impossible to admit to the person you like.

And admitting that you love someone is to put yourself in the most vulnerable position because you can face rejection, so it can be scary.

For Sheldon, he hardly has to fear being rejected by Amy, though. :p

But for me it's fun to see how in some ways Amy is a little like Sheldon's mother in the way that she cuts through all his crap and he complies. The best example is probably in the Vacation episode, when he comes back to her lab and she insists on a real apology, not one tempered by all of his attempts to put the blame for his behavior on something else (lost too much thumb-blood, the soap was too bubbly, etc.)

And in the end, it was because he wanted to continue spending his vacation days with her. He could have spent the rest of his vacation doing anything else, but he wanted to be with her and the price was to own up and apologize, which he did.

Even before he asked her to be his girlfriend, he talked to her every day, finding common ground intellectually and in terms of personality and disposition.

Then as she came more and more into her "womanhood" and started asserting herself more toward him, he found himself going along, which is what led to him wanting to basically claim her for himself.

And I love when he referred to her as a "hotsy-totsy". Says a lot!

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 1

I know what you mean walerob. Sheldon chose a quote that meant something to him, but it's ambiguous. How much of it did he mean? It's hard to say with this character and that's what makes him interesting. He left off the real doozey at the end though, when Peter Palmer adds "It's as if you reached the unreachable and you weren't ready for it". Heck, it worked on me, I only went and watched Spiderman that weekend :icon_cheesygrin: and Toby Maguire's delivery of that line is out of this world.

When has Sheldon ever been accused of saying something he doesn't mean? He is not deceitful or disingenuous. Sheldon doesn't utter insincere platitudes or sentiments. I think he said what he meant in a manner in which he was comfortable.

Phantagrae - I agree. Amy, while she does get a little lost or over-react at times because she's completely new to relationships herself, does have a good handle on Sheldon's oddities, thoughts and motivations. She's usually successful in getting what she needs from him while at the same time keeping him happy, because of the deep mental connection they share - she's the only other human being he knows who speaks his language.

When has Sheldon ever been accused of saying something he doesn't mean? He is not deceitful or disingenuous. Sheldon doesn't utter insincere platitudes or sentiments. I think he said what he meant in a manner in which he was comfortable.

Exactly. One thing both Sheldon and Amy can't be accused of is insincerity and deceit - they're just not capable of it. On the contrary, they tend to be brutally, painfully and often inappropriately honest. How is it believable that Sheldon could put on a successful romantic act to please Amy?

You are both right, he wasn't putting on an act or being deceitful. Amy asked him to say something meaningful and from the heart, but was he saying something he knows to be meaningful from someone else's heart? Or using someone else's words from his own heart? She wasn't specific and Sheldon always is. This is a guy who just outsourced his conversational obligation on their anniversary to someone else. Then he chooses such a beautiful quote and admits it's a quote. He always keeps me guessing.

You are both right, he wasn't putting on an act or being deceitful. Amy asked him to say something meaningful and from the heart, but was he saying something he knows to be meaningful from someone else's heart? Or using someone else's words from his own heart? She wasn't specific and Sheldon always is. This is a guy who just outsourced his conversational obligation on their anniversary to someone else. Then he chooses such a beautiful quote and admits it's a quote. He always keeps me guessing.

Hmm, I know what you mean. He is a bit tantalizing. :) I can't say for sure either, how much he consciously realized he was speaking of feelings similar to his own - but the hints seem quite strong, given that (a) the spirit of the quote is remarkably close to what we've earlier seen him confess to Leonard and can imagine him going through, (b ) it was this very quote which occurred to him almost immediately. He didn't have to think for a minute; it was almost as if the words were at the back of his mind.

Given how emotionally clueless Sheldon is, he could just as well have come up with something wildly inappropriate, if it was just a matter of quoting something. Instead, he spontaneously found a sentiment which seems believable and well-suited in the context of their relationship. It's just possible that this was entirely a coincidence, but somehow I don't think it was.

Also, his admitting that it was a quote felt very natural to me - if he hadn't, that would have felt like cheating, and rather unlike Sheldon.

Edited by Pomita

Hmm, I know what you mean. He is a bit tantalizing. :) I can't say for sure either, how much he consciously realized he was speaking of feelings similar to his own - but the hints seem quite strong, given that (a) the spirit of the quote is remarkably close to what we've earlier seen him confess to Leonard and can imagine him going through, (b ) it was this very quote which occurred to him almost immediately. He didn't have to think for a minute; it was almost as if the words were at the back of his mind.

Given how emotionally clueless Sheldon is, he could just as well have come up with something wildly inappropriate, if it was just a matter of quoting something. Instead, he spontaneously found a sentiment which seems believable and well-suited in the context of their relationship. It's just possible that this was entirely a coincidence, but somehow I don't think it was.

Also, his admitting that it was a quote felt very natural to me - if he hadn't, that would have felt like cheating, and rather unlike Sheldon.

I know, he's an enigma for sure. Whether he meant the words or not, he did understand the gravity of what was happening. Amy was pretty pissed. Some fans might argue that he just didn't want to walk home, but he has been stubborner in the past. So he could have refused. There's an explanation to suit everyone with this character. :icon_cheesygrin:

I know, he's an enigma for sure. Whether he meant the words or not, he did understand the gravity of what was happening. Amy was pretty pissed. Some fans might argue that he just didn't want to walk home, but he has been stubborner in the past. So he could have refused. There's an explanation to suit everyone with this character. :icon_cheesygrin:

So true!

I guess the shamy fans are lucky they didn't use the alternate ending, from the taping report:

Amy said that it was beautiful. Sheldon said it should be...it was from the Spiderman movie, and while she said it had to be from the heart, she didn't say whose heart, another example of a loophole. Amy got up and told Sheldon to take the bus home and walked out. Sheldon went running after her saying 'wait! Our two hearts are one! You smell like soap! I like your sweater!'

They re-shot this scene so that after Sheldon said that speech and said it was from Spiderman, Amy said 'Ill take it!' And Sheldon smiled at her. Who knows which version will be used?

Chuck Lorre was that close to screwing with you, and the shamy. :icon_twisted: Imagine what he'll do when all the money has been made, and the last episode is looming.

Edited by Disgusted

I guess the shamy fans are lucky they didn't use the alternate ending, from the taping report:

Chuck Lorre was that close to screwing with you, and the shamy. :icon_twisted: Imagine what he'll do when all the money has been made, and the last episode is looming.

Maybe he wasn't realy all that close. They often try different lines, different endings to scenes, etc. While there was maybe more humor to an ending where SHeldon is throwing out different kinds of lines to try to impress her, it could just be that they decided that the "happier" ending worked better or whatever, or led the characters more in the direction they want them to go, rather than causing any real turmoil between them.

you are right.--was @ the taping of the show,they

did take few takes,wow he was running after her.

i was a little upset about it, i am not a shamy person.

Maybe he wasn't realy all that close. They often try different lines, different endings to scenes, etc. While there was maybe more humor to an ending where SHeldon is throwing out different kinds of lines to try to impress her, it could just be that they decided that the "happier" ending worked better or whatever, or led the characters more in the direction they want them to go, rather than causing any real turmoil between them.

I had read the taping report. Surprisingly, some Shamy fans preferred the version in which he runs after her, because it had more of Amy asserting herself (also it was funnier!). I liked this version because it reiterated how much Amy understands Sheldon, so I'm glad they kept this one.

I had read the taping report. Surprisingly, some Shamy fans preferred the version in which he runs after her, because it had more of Amy asserting herself (also it was funnier!). I liked this version because it reiterated how much Amy understands Sheldon, so I'm glad they kept this one.

It has aspects of Amy settling for less than she should though, but then again should see really have expected any different? Sheldon has been as far as I am aware completely honest with her from the get go, remember she also said that she didn't like any forms of touching up to and including coitus when she first met him,

It has aspects of Amy settling for less than she should though, but then again should see really have expected any different? Sheldon has been as far as I am aware completely honest with her from the get go, remember she also said that she didn't like any forms of touching up to and including coitus when she first met him.

That's quite true, it's Amy who has changed and has come to desire a physical relationship now. Even at the time Sheldon proposed the relationship upgradation, he made it clear that there would be 'no change, physical or otherwise'. I think Amy knows that, which is why she knows she has to take her time with Sheldon as far as making him feel ready for physical affection is concerned.

Actually, I'm happy whatever ending they used. The one who came up with the taping report said I was a bit cheery with either ending. I also agree that they try changing scenes on the last minute to fit the audience's reaction and to fit what they think would be suitable. Since they've already drafted probably up to episode 6 when they started the taping of the season premiere, they wanted something that will not conflict with what happened on the next episode.

Lol @ Mr. D being called a pot-stirrer. :icon_lol:

Edited by jeanalice

I went to the premiere taping too. Regarding the infamous Spiderman speech takes, I got the feeling that they were trying to gauge the audiences reaction as well. My impression was that the audience didn't like the first take in which Amy leaves, not because it wasn't funny or because Amy left, but because Sheldon came accross as rather mean after what seemed like a very sweet, sincere moment. In my opinion, the way he said that Amy did not specify whose heart and brought up the loophole once more wasn't nice, as much as Jim played it to seem funny. The whole thing left us with a feeling of being deflated.

The second version ("I'll take it") was done right after the first one, which gave the impression that the writers were prepared for it because usually the on the fly re-writes take at least 10 minutes between takes. So, I think it is possible that the writers were hoping that the first take would stick but they were prepared in case it didn't. To be honest, I don't know how the first take would fit with the future episodes considering that S/A seemed happy enough in episode 2, but it wouldn't be the first time that BBT leaves an issue unresolved or lets the audience make assumptions about what happens between episodes or scenes.

Edited by Puppy Chow

Yes, after seeing episode 2, the first take would have not made any sense. Plus, I am tired of seeing amy mad at sheldon, and I have enjoyed the first two episodes, where they seem happy and comfortable with each other.

• Like 1

Yes, after seeing episode 2, the first take would have not made any sense. Plus, I am tired of seeing amy mad at sheldon, and I have enjoyed the first two episodes, where they seem happy and comfortable with each other.

A happy Amy means a happy Jean. No happy Amy means table-flipping window-smashing head-ripping Jean.

A happy Amy means a happy Jean. No happy Amy means table-flipping window-smashing head-ripping Jean.

I wonder what happened to you and your house during Isolation Permutation episode :p

I wonder what happened to you and your house during Isolation Permutation episode :p

Well, actually I broke one chair when The Weekend Vortex was on. I broke the cap of my pen during The Shiny Trinket Maneuver when Amy got mad but the entire pen was not a good sight when Amy was overjoyed with her tiara. I kept on smashing it on the floor because that scene was totally out-of-control funny.