The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.01 The Date Night Variable (Sept. 27)

Your episode rating  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

As far as the first episode of a highly anticipated Season 6 goes, this one was a real snoozer. It was basically a setup for the season with very few laughs IMHO. Still, I enjoy the show immensely.

So, did anyone else notice that Sheldon's spiderman quote to Amy was way off base?

Sheldon: Amy, when I look in your eyes and you're looking back in mine, everything feels not quite normal. I feel stronger and weaker at the same time. I feel excited and, at the same time, terrified. The truth is, I don't know what I feel, except I know what kind of man I want to be.

Sure, Sheldon may have meant that he is somewhat confused about his feelings, but if this was meant to be from the heart, "what kind of man I want to be" implies that Sheldon has done some soul searching and found that there are self-improvements to be made.

But we know that this is ridiculous. Sheldon is the supreme egotist. There is no way that he thinks that he should improve or change himself because of his relationship with Amy.

So my take on this is that Sheldon was BS'ing. He knew that Amy wanted him to say something and he just pulled this out said it without really meaning it.

Amy should have kept walking.

So, did anyone else notice that Sheldon's spiderman quote to Amy was way off base?

Sheldon: Amy, when I look in your eyes and you're looking back in mine, everything feels not quite normal. I feel stronger and weaker at the same time. I feel excited and, at the same time, terrified. The truth is, I don't know what I feel, except I know what kind of man I want to be.

Sure, Sheldon may have meant that he is somewhat confused about his feelings, but if this was meant to be from the heart, "what kind of man I want to be" implies that Sheldon has done some soul searching and found that there are self-improvements to be made.

But we know that this is ridiculous. Sheldon is the supreme egotist. There is no way that he thinks that he should improve or change himself because of his relationship with Amy.

So my take on this is that Sheldon was BS'ing. He knew that Amy wanted him to say something and he just pulled this out said it without really meaning it.

Amy should have kept walking.

There is some debate as to whether he pulled some quote out of his hat in order to appease her, but I think that her response indicates that she actuall considers that this may be true--that he may have said that just to appease her. She doesn't say, "That's so romantic!" or anything like that. She seems to consider it and says, "I'll take it", indicating that she figures it'll do, it's close enough to what she was asking for.

As for Sheldon being an egotist and never considering that he might need to change--I think this is a very narrow view of the totality of who he is. He's obviously changed and adapted to some degree over the course of the show--from the minute he acknowledged that Penny had become part of their group. He has presumably adapted to and accepted Howard and Raj into his social circle and really does consider them friends, even if he still thinks of himself as superior to everyone around him.

But with Amy, he began to change in relation to her from early on. He may not realize it, but he's obviously changing up his routine, his priorities and has even begun to learn how to humble himself and apologize sincerely when the situation warrants it.

I think that he could have pulled any out any old quote if he was just trying to appease her in that moment, and I think that it does mean something that he chose this particular quote. Why not quote something from Star Wars or Star Trek or wherever? She doesn't know ST or SW. But he chose a very particular quote.

I think that he also could have quoted only parts that he thought she might like, or he could have said any number of things. So, I think that maybe that quote came to mind in that moment because somehow he has indeed internalized some of those thoughts and feelings.

I think that at this point, Amy knows Sheldon well enough to realize that on the face of it he had quoted those lines just to please her, but just the fact that he spontaneously chose those lines and no other indicated that there was a germ of truth and self-identification involved, at least unconsciously. Hence the considered 'I'll take it'.

been a uker i finally saw this episode today, i found i didnt laugh as much as i normally would during an episode but it was still very good nonetheless.

i liked how howards mother still terrorised him whilst in space (poor lad cant escape the woman)

when sheldon quoted spiderman i didnt recognise it as a quote and part of me thought hed actually come up with it, so for a brief moment i thought it was really sweet but of course it wouldnt be sheldon if it wasnt some sort of quote from somewhere.

overall i enjoyed this episode

lots of different scenarios and all very enjoyable

i loved the little speech Sheldon gave Amy and even though he took the words from somewhere else, he seemed like he really meant it

the scene with Raj and Stuart dancing was funny

s4 and s5 showed penny to be a gutter skank.

i dont understand way leonerd even speeks too her.

she acts like she has never hurt him.

she has so much to pay for.

she has to make up for EVERYTHING SHE HAS DONE OVER S4 AND S5.

with both words and actions, before its even believable that she is capable of feeling love let alone say it.