We have an expectations thread, how about a hopes thread?

What are you hoping to see in Season 6?

I'm truly hoping to see more character development and story lines that do NOT revolve around Leonard/Penny (getting together, breaking up, having sex, not having sex, dating, not dating, etc etc etc). There ARE other characters and other relationships, that one is getting just SO old.

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping for.

• Like 1

From the very first episode the interaction between Leonard and Penny has been one of the mainstays of the program. Opening scene is Sheldon and Leonard come up the stairs, meet their new neighbor Penny, and much to Sheldon's chagrin Leonard invites her over for lunch. If that makes someone unhappy then I am afraid that the only thing that they can do is watch something else because I seriously doubt if TPTB are going to change things up now. I should add that personally I am getting to the point that if they decided to move Penny back to Nebraska to live in a double-wide I wouldn't be too upset. Either have them together or break them apart. Stop this bouncing back and forth garbage, but as I said, I doubt if TPTB are going to change.

From the very first episode the interaction between Leonard and Penny has been one of the mainstays of the program. Opening scene is Sheldon and Leonard come up the stairs, meet their new neighbor Penny, and much to Sheldon's chagrin Leonard invites her over for lunch. If that makes someone unhappy then I am afraid that the only thing that they can do is watch something else because I seriously doubt if TPTB are going to change things up now. I should add that personally I am getting to the point that if they decided to move Penny back to Nebraska to live in a double-wide I wouldn't be too upset. Either have them together or break them apart. Stop this bouncing back and forth garbage, but as I said, I doubt if TPTB are going to change.

The writer are not about to change, It is the suspense of L/P relationship that keeps the viewers coming back.

The writer are not about to change, It is the suspense of L/P relationship that keeps the viewers coming back.

Not this viewer, I have to say I really don't care that much about Penny anymore, and that is due to bad writing. Look I have no problem from the onset that they really wrote from week to week, but they are in the sixth season now, surely they should have worked on "long term" storylines for each of their characters. Poor Raj, we hardly saw him last year and Kaley is one of the "three", she is paid as much as Jim and Johnny and yet I can't really think of "one" standout episode for her. Write better for Kaley and less for Mayim and Bernadette, and I might start caring about Penny and Leonard.

Not this viewer, I have to say I really don't care that much about Penny anymore, and that is due to bad writing. Look I have no problem from the onset that they really wrote from week to week, but they are in the sixth season now, surely they should have worked on "long term" storylines for each of their characters. Poor Raj, we hardly saw him last year and Kaley is one of the "three", she is paid as much as Jim and Johnny and yet I can't really think of "one" standout episode for her. Write better for Kaley and less for Mayim and Bernadette, and I might start caring about Penny and Leonard.

You've hit on one of the almost embarrassing side effects of the "short arc" writing technique of TBBT, the disintegration of the Penny character. Kaley will be paid 7.2 million for season six and she is now second banana in the pecking order of the female characters. Kaley has admitted that she misses the time when she was the only woman and the focus was on the relationship of Leonard and Penny. That Mayim is now the critical darling with plenty of Emmy-submittable scenes (well deserved, I think) and Kaley, as you correctly put it, has no memorable moments now, is a testament on how the writers have "lost" the focus on Penny. She just exists now and when Penny interacts, what she does is almost cartoon like.

Poor Kaley. Penny started to get lost near the end of season three when Chuck Lorre surprised the writers and submitted a story that pretty much broke Leonard and Penny apart with out an understandable reason. Bernadette and Amy were introduced in Season three and have been carrying the relationship load since then. Penny's actions now have been baffling to say the least as she was not written to have much purpose besides being the object of Leonard's obsession.

We keep hearing from the powers that be that they are going to fix their Penny problem in season six and reports are they are tying to do just that and allow Kaley to earn that pot of money that is her only solace for more than two years of being almost an after thought on her own starring show.

I would agree with Penny is being misused.

I love Penny but it is time to try something new for the character.

I would disagree on Penny not having stand out episodes in season 5.

The Infestation Hypothesis

The Werewolf Transformation

And to a lesser extent

The Wiggly Finger Catalyst

All come to mind.

Personally I think Kaley has some of the best comedic timing on the show.

Raj/Kunal I just feel sorry for his time is barely used.

I would love to see a Raj Amy storyline.

Amy going a little mad scientist trying to fix Raj’s speaking problem.

And to a lesser extent

All come to mind.

Not only is kaley's timing great but Her facical Expressions or TAKES are Dynamite. A case of saying a lot without words.

And to a lesser extent

All come to mind.

I'm not saying she doesn't have good comedic timing or acting skills, but when we the last time we had a "Penny" episode. She doesn't get good storylines at all. 5.1 should have been a great opportunity for the Penny character to truly develop, it could been a great storyline between Penny, Raj and Leonard, but it was handled poorly in my opinion. Seriously a better story would have been that Leonard woke up on the sofa and realised that Penny and Raj never actually happened, he had dreamt it.

Hopefully with the increase in Stuart's character we might see more of Raj to, but the last thing we need is more Amy (please don't get me wrong I like Amy, in small doses), but I do like the Mad scientist idea, anything to get back to what is is these guys actually do for a living.

I'm not saying she doesn't have good comedic timing or acting skills, but when we the last time we had a "Penny" episode. She doesn't get good storylines at all. 5.1 should have been a great opportunity for the Penny character to truly develop, it could been a great storyline between Penny, Raj and Leonard, but it was handled poorly in my opinion. Seriously a better story would have been that Leonard woke up on the sofa and realised that Penny and Raj never actually happened, he had dreamt it.

Hopefully with the increase in Stuart's character we might see more of Raj to, but the last thing we need is more Amy (please don't get me wrong I like Amy, in small doses), but I do like the Mad scientist idea, anything to get back to what is is these guys actually do for a living.

I can agree what little development Penny’s had has been in small snippets.

She could really use a good development episode.

I think we would disagree what would be good development.

Penny actually standing up for herself would IMO be good development.

I like Amy but part of the reason I suggested the storyline is almost all of her interaction is with Penny and Sheldon. This has done wonders for her popularity but she needs to move beyond that and establish herself with the rest of the group.

She can not rely on Sheldon Penny steroids forever.

A part of me was convinced after watching the S4 finale and the Raj mess that her resolution the next episode would be to cut back on drinking. Instead it was to high-tail it to Nebraska. I wish they would make Penny less of a drunk because it's basically either continue that gimmick or actually give her room to develop and grow.

A part of me was convinced after watching the S4 finale and the Raj mess that her resolution the next episode would be to cut back on drinking. Instead it was to high-tail it to Nebraska. I wish they would make Penny less of a drunk because it's basically either continue that gimmick or actually give her room to develop and grow.

I actually had a crazy thought about this.

If the fan reaction had not been so strong what would we have seen?

Could they really have been trying to put Raj and Penny together?

It would explain why Raj had no story in season 5.

You've hit on one of the almost embarrassing side effects of the "short arc" writing technique of TBBT, the disintegration of the Penny character. Kaley will be paid 7.2 million for season six and she is now second banana in the pecking order of the female characters. Kaley has admitted that she misses the time when she was the only woman and the focus was on the relationship of Leonard and Penny. That Mayim is now the critical darling with plenty of Emmy-submittable scenes (well deserved, I think) and Kaley, as you correctly put it, has no memorable moments now, is a testament on how the writers have "lost" the focus on Penny. She just exists now and when Penny interacts, what she does is almost cartoon like.

Poor Kaley. Penny started to get lost near the end of season three when Chuck Lorre surprised the writers and submitted a story that pretty much broke Leonard and Penny apart with out an understandable reason. Bernadette and Amy were introduced in Season three and have been carrying the relationship load since then. Penny's actions now have been baffling to say the least as she was not written to have much purpose besides being the object of Leonard's obsession.

We keep hearing from the powers that be that they are going to fix their Penny problem in season six and reports are they are tying to do just that and allow Kaley to earn that pot of money that is her only solace for more than two years of being almost an after thought on her own starring show.

Agree completely. Kaley is a fantastic comedic actress. What that girl can do with her facial expressions alone puts her leagues above most of her peers, I'm including both Mayim and Melissa in this group even though I think their both great performers as well.

Penny has completely lost direction on this show. It's interesting to note that the way Mayim ended up usurping Kaley is very similiar to how Jim ended up doing the same to Johnny. Let's not kid ourselves here. The pilot episode along with most of the first season heavily established Leonard as the main lead and focus as far was the male characters were concerned. That all started to change in season two and by the time season three hit Sheldon/Jim pretty much became the focus of the show.

I hope the writers can find a away to fix this because as a performer Kaley really deserves(really Johnny does too)better, and she should be getting all the attention and accolades along with Mayim. I think that is going to largely rest on just how involved Chuck Lorre is going to be when it comes to the arc plotting. I really wish he would step back and let Prady and the other writers do more while he handles the more biz side to the show. It seems like most of the controversial stuff that has happened and rubbed the viewers the wrong way has come from him. Leonard and Penny's sudden break up in season three along with the Raj-gate in season four. He obviously has issues with women, more specifically women like "Penny". He lets those issue infect the show like poison.

I actually had a crazy thought about this.

If the fan reaction had not been so strong what would we have seen?

Could they really have been trying to put Raj and Penny together?

It would explain why Raj had no story in season 5.

I think it was at least up for consideration, at least Raj and Penny actually having gone all the way was. Given that TBBT had become such standard sit-com. One of those often used scenarios is having the female lead involved with be it romantically or strictly sexually with one or more of the male leads. The only other character they could pair her with other than Leonard would have been Raj. I think the largely negative reaction from the audience caused a back off on the writers part.

I hope the writers can find a away to fix this because as a performer Kaley really deserves(really Johnny does too)better, and she should be getting all the attention and accolades along with Mayim. I think that is going to largely rest on just how involved Chuck Lorre is going to be when it comes to the arc plotting. I really wish he would step back and let Prady and the other writers do more while he handles the more biz side to the show. It seems like most of the controversial stuff that has happened and rubbed the viewers the wrong way has come from him. Leonard and Penny's sudden break up in season three along with the Raj-gate in season four. He obviously has issues with women, more specifically women like "Penny". He lets those issue infect the show like poison.

The most common complaint about Lorre is his treatment of female characters in his shows.

Here's a quote from Medium Entertainment:

"Chuck Lorre's shows all pretty much look exactly the same, and he just seems to have a really weird and negative attitude towards women in general, this shines through the most in the truly awful Two & Half Men, but you can see plenty of it in The Big Bang Theory. Amy Farrah Fowler is possibly the smartest character on the show, but nearly all jokes she's involved in are about her possible lesbian attempts with Penny. And speaking of Penny, does anyone know her last name? Oh I guess the primary female on a Chuck Lorre show doesn't get one."

Here's another from UGO"

"And here we are at the central core of hatred at the middle of every Chuck Lorre sitcom. Women, no matter what their situation, are portrayed as nothing more than objects of desire for dudes. Whether it's the cringe-inducingly painful courtings of Alan on Two And A Half Men, or the several women that have cycled through The Big Bang Theory, they're never treated with anything near the level of attention their male counterparts get."

Just think of his original concept of the "Penny" character from the failed first pilot: a super slutty homeless street chick who moves in with the two scientist for free room and board. Thank goodness CBS shot that down..

I hope that Lorre is not heavily involved in the Penny fixing that is going on in season six. I hate to think of what sexual bomb he would throw into the retooling of her character.

The most common complaint about Lorre is his treatment of female characters in his shows.

"Chuck Lorre's shows all pretty much look exactly the same, and he just seems to have a really weird and negative attitude towards women in general, this shines through the most in the truly awful Two & Half Men, but you can see plenty of it in The Big Bang Theory. Amy Farrah Fowler is possibly the smartest character on the show, but nearly all jokes she's involved in are about her possible lesbian attempts with Penny. And speaking of Penny, does anyone know her last name? Oh I guess the primary female on a Chuck Lorre show doesn't get one."

Here's another from UGO"

"And here we are at the central core of hatred at the middle of every Chuck Lorre sitcom. Women, no matter what their situation, are portrayed as nothing more than objects of desire for dudes. Whether it's the cringe-inducingly painful courtings of Alan on Two And A Half Men, or the several women that have cycled through The Big Bang Theory, they're never treated with anything near the level of attention their male counterparts get."

Just think of his original concept of the "Penny" character from the failed first pilot: a super slutty homeless street chick who moves in with the two scientist for free room and board. Thank goodness CBS shot that down..

I hope that Lorre is not heavily involved in the Penny fixing that is going on in season six. I hate to think of what sexual bomb he would throw into the retooling of her character.

No kidding. The problem is that Lorre has a pretty massive ego and unfortunately having three hit shows at going at one time and given the syndication deals for both TBBT and TAAHM he basically believes himself beyond reproach by anybody. I believe he once compared television critics to being as effective as a "flaccid penis attempting to penetrate a vagina" or something to that extent.

At the end of the day Lorre has the majority of the power over the shows he executive produces.

Here's another from UGO"

I don't quite agree with these views at least with respect to the portrayal of women on TBBT in the last two seasons. I had a similar crib about the first 3 seasons - Penny was mostly just the 'sex object' of the show, and there was no other female character with any depth at all. With the addition of Amy and Bernadette, I think they've redeemed themselves from this situation, to a great extent - they're both interesting, smart and well-fleshed out characters, both scientists, and very far from being sex objects. They can hold their own with their male partners in terms of intelligence and personality, and they also have a little world of their own female bonding. In fact, one of the highlights of the show now is Sheldon's growing romantic attachment towards Amy which is completely independent of her looks and degree of 'conventional' sex appeal.

I also don't agree that nearly all of the jokes related to Amy are about her lesbian comments to Penny - there's much more to her than that, and they've considerably toned down that aspect in the last few episodes of season 5.

So while Lorre may have a negative attitude towards women in his shows in general, I don't think TBBT suffers from that fault any more - except in the unfortunately stagnating portrayal of Penny.

Here's another from UGO"

I don't quite agree with these views at least with respect to the portrayal of women on TBBT in the last two seasons. I had a similar crib about the first 3 seasons - Penny was mostly just the 'sex object' of the show, and there was no other female character with any depth at all. With the addition of Amy and Bernadette, I think they've redeemed themselves from this situation, to a great extent - they're both interesting, smart and well-fleshed out characters, both scientists, and very far from being sex objects. They can hold their own with their male partners in terms of intelligence and personality, and they also have a little world of their own female bonding. In fact, one of the highlights of the show now is Sheldon's growing romantic attachment towards Amy which is completely independent of her looks and degree of 'conventional' sex appeal.

I also don't agree that nearly all of the jokes related to Amy are about her lesbian comments to Penny - there's much more to her than that, and they've considerably toned down that aspect in the last few episodes of season 5.

So while Lorre may have a negative attitude towards women in his shows in general, I don't think TBBT suffers from that fault any more - except in the unfortunately stagnating portrayal of Penny.

I agree. The characters of Amy and Bernie, in particular, is far from the Lorre model of either "Thoughtless, trashy tramp" or "Ball-busting Bitch". And Amy has been less creepy at the end of season five.

Where I concentrated on is the train wreck that is the Penny character. Penny started out with some promise in season one, became more of a sex object in season two and three but with some recognizable and hopefully modern women characteristics but has regressed since then.

Now we have a women who pines away for the man she loves, falls into a morose, drunken state, gets another chance to have him back in her life, then is furious when we refuses to treat her like some sex object and declares his wish for a long term relationship. WTF!

What I am doing is blaming Lorre because of his refusal to develop the Penny character. Prady and Malero, I hope will allow the "maturing" of the Penny character in season six as I credit them with the Amy and Bernie characters fuller personalities. Lorre's track record makes him the culprit for the "Penny problem" since he is the one credited with the great ideas for ending season three and four.

Here's another from UGO"

I agree. The characters of Amy and Bernie, in particular, is far from the Lorre model of either "Thoughtless, trashy tramp" or "Ball-busting Bitch". And Amy has been less creepy at the end of season five.

Where I concentrated on is the train wreck that is the Penny character. Penny started out with some promise in season one, became more of a sex object in season two and three but with some recognizable and hopefully modern women characteristics but has regressed since then.

Now we have a women who pines away for the man she loves, falls into a morose, drunken state, gets another chance to have him back in her life, then is furious when we refuses to treat her like some sex object and declares his wish for a long term relationship. WTF!

What I am doing is blaming Lorre because of his refusal to develop the Penny character. Prady and Malero, I hope will allow the "maturing" of the Penny character in season six as I credit them with the Amy and Bernie characters fuller personalities. Lorre's track record makes him the culprit for the "Penny problem" since he is the one credited with the great ideas for ending season three and four.

I see. I agree with you on this point. One ray of hope is that the writers hinted they might finally do something with Penny's career, in this season. On the other hand, the spoilers of the first 3 episodes don't sound too promising in this regard. Let's hope they're going somewhere constructive with this.

I see. I agree with you on this point. One ray of hope is that the writers hinted they might finally do something with Penny's career, in this season. On the other hand, the spoilers of the first 3 episodes don't sound too promising in this regard. Let's hope they're going somewhere constructive with this.

My hope is that they are slowly setting the stage for the fixing of Penny in the early episodes of season six. First acknowledge the problem (in the context of the show of course) by demonstrating all of Penny's bizarre quirks and having the other characters call her out on them when they appear. Have Penny try to explain for the first time why she acts so irrationally to Leonard. Then have her for the first time think about her actions and notice that they don't make much sense. The powers that be are explaining that Penny is so young (27 this fall) and she needs to be allowed time to grow up. That excuse is as good as any. It would help if they finally gave Leonard the backbone to not enable Penny to be so immature but that may be coming this season as well.

You are so right about Penny's career. Penny has never been developed as more than a character outline. She is simply there to be the object of Leonard's affection, they have given her no other purpose unlike Bernadette and Amy who have shown by their successful careers that they have the qualities needed to be a self sustaining individual. The joke is Penny has been successful at nothing in her life and does not really try. As she says "I'm cute, I get by". Her only success is she has hold of this successful professional man.

I have hopes that the head writers will start fleshing out that outline in the second half of the season after showing us the problems in the first few episodes.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Bill Prady & Steven Moffat have been tweeting each other during the summer. I really really really hope that means a Doctor Who themed episode, or a crossover or something-

My hope is that they are slowly setting the stage for the fixing of Penny in the early episodes of season six. First acknowledge the problem (in the context of the show of course) by demonstrating all of Penny's bizarre quirks and having the other characters call her out on them when they appear. Have Penny try to explain for the first time why she acts so irrationally to Leonard. Then have her for the first time think about her actions and notice that they don't make much sense. The powers that be are explaining that Penny is so young (27 this fall) and she needs to be allowed time to grow up. That excuse is as good as any. It would help if they finally gave Leonard the backbone to not enable Penny to be so immature but that may be coming this season as well.

You are so right about Penny's career. Penny has never been developed as more than a character outline. She is simply there to be the object of Leonard's affection, they have given her no other purpose unlike Bernadette and Amy who have shown by their successful careers that they have the qualities needed to be a self sustaining individual. The joke is Penny has been successful at nothing in her life and does not really try. As she says "I'm cute, I get by". Her only success is she has hold of this successful professional man.

I have hopes that the head writers will start fleshing out that outline in the second half of the season after showing us the problems in the first few episodes.

I would really appreciate it if further episodes play out Penny's character growth in the way you have outlined. Let's hope the writers are thinking in the same direction!

I was glad to see their friends call Penny out on her contradictory behavior. But what I would really like to see is Leonard getting in it in him to stop taking her behavior lying down. Also, hopefully she might develop some degree of emotional balance and perspective if some professional success comes her way - that's what it takes, sometimes. Right now I think she still suffers from an unconscious complex of 'I'm not good enough for him', even if she outwardly projects just the opposite attitude.

I would really appreciate it if further episodes play out Penny's character growth in the way you have outlined. Let's hope the writers are thinking in the same direction!

I was glad to see their friends call Penny out on her contradictory behavior. But what I would really like to see is Leonard getting in it in him to stop taking her behavior lying down. Also, hopefully she might develop some degree of emotional balance and perspective if some professional success comes her way - that's what it takes, sometimes. Right now I think she still suffers from an unconscious complex of 'I'm not good enough for him', even if she outwardly projects just the opposite attitude.

looks like bernadette was pushing penny to

tell leonard how she feeles about him.

Since the second season I believed the source of Penny's behavior toward Leonard was her feelings of inferiority to him. Not just his level of education but his social status, real world accomplishments and moral self-discipline. Penny has been given only one big advantage; an overpowering sexuality that turns Leonard's mind into mush.

She seemed to feel that she is not good enough for him. She said as much in season two's first episode when she asked, "do you think that if Leonard and I keep dating he’ll eventually get bored with me?" She pretty much broke up with him as a preemptive strike against what she thought was the inevitability of Leonard dumping her for someone much better. It would explain why Priya made her feel like a "toothless Okie" and why she got upset with his sleeping with Dr. Plimpton after she had dumped him. She gets positively explosive if Leonard even hints that she might enjoy getting further education or reading a book.

I felt that way until they reunited in season 5. She seemed to test him by not allowing him to have sex for the first four months of their renewed relationship and he passed with flying colors. Then came the weird vibe of her flaunting her hold over him by saying she has no fear he would cheat on her or cause her any pain. He was her puppet to do with as she pleases and according to the spoilers, she still feels this way.

Now, I'm not sure. Some of this is the writers being all over the place with Penny the last two season and if the plan for Penny was to reveal to Leonard her insecurities one day, it most likely has been forgotten by now.