The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pepsiadikt

Hopes!

I was glad to see their friends call Penny out on her contradictory behavior. But what I would really like to see is Leonard getting in it in him to stop taking her behavior lying down. Also, hopefully she might develop some degree of emotional balance and perspective if some professional success comes her way - that's what it takes, sometimes. Right now I think she still suffers from an unconscious complex of 'I'm not good enough for him', even if she outwardly projects just the opposite attitude.

Since the second season I believed the source of Penny's behavior toward Leonard was her feelings of inferiority to him. Not just his level of education but his social status, real world accomplishments and moral self-discipline. Penny has been given only one big advantage; an overpowering sexuality that turns Leonard's mind into mush.

She seemed to feel that she is not good enough for him. She said as much in season two's first episode when she asked, "do you think that if Leonard and I keep dating he’ll eventually get bored with me?" She pretty much broke up with him as a preemptive strike against what she thought was the inevitability of Leonard dumping her for someone much better. It would explain why Priya made her feel like a "toothless Okie" and why she got upset with his sleeping with Dr. Plimpton after she had dumped him. She gets positively explosive if Leonard even hints that she might enjoy getting further education or reading a book.

I felt that way until they reunited in season 5. She seemed to test him by not allowing him to have sex for the first four months of their renewed relationship and he passed with flying colors. Then came the weird vibe of her flaunting her hold over him by saying she has no fear he would cheat on her or cause her any pain. He was her puppet to do with as she pleases and according to the spoilers, she still feels this way.

Now, I'm not sure. Some of this is the writers being all over the place with Penny the last two season and if the plan for Penny was to reveal to Leonard her insecurities one day, it most likely has been forgotten by now.

I agree that their relationship has got increasingly confusing over the later part of season 5. I was really interested in the Beta test, and they seemed to be doing well. But then it all got messed up with Leonard's proposal and Penny's violent reaction to it. Now ,especially from the spoilers, it just looks like Penny's not sure about her feelings for him, period. Even insecurity seems to be at a very unconscious level, if it's there.

I hope the writers decide to explore that aspect again, because it can actually be the one reason for Penny's fluctuating attitude that doesn't say bad things about her.

Now, I'm not sure. Some of this is the writers being all over the place with Penny the last two season and if the plan for Penny was to reveal to Leonard her insecurities one day, it most likely has been forgotten by now.

I agree that their relationship has got increasingly confusing over the later part of season 5. I was really interested in the Beta test, and they seemed to be doing well. But then it all got messed up with Leonard's proposal and Penny's violent reaction to it. Now ,especially from the spoilers, it just looks like Penny's not sure about her feelings for him, period. Even insecurity seems to be at a very unconscious level, if it's there.

I hope the writers decide to explore that aspect again, because it can actually be the one reason for Penny's fluctuating attitude that doesn't say bad things about her.

Your last sentence is so key. We can feel sympathy for Penny if she feels insecure about her appropriateness for Leonard. But if her true feelings are "My sexiness alone makes me better them him" then she is shallow, delusional or just plain stupid. Everyone around her including her own father knows where she is headed in life without the only asset she has ever acquired, Leonard. Season four showed what Penny's life would be like without him and it was not pretty.

Your last sentence is so key. We can feel sympathy for Penny if she feels insecure about her appropriateness for Leonard. But if her true feelings are "My sexiness alone makes me better them him" then she is shallow, delusional or just plain stupid. Everyone around her including her own father knows where she is headed in life without the only asset she has ever acquired, Leonard. Season four showed what Penny's life would be like without him and it was not pretty.

That's true. This is why I liked seeing Leonard stand up to her, in different ways, in Boyfriend Complexity and Ornithophobia - as much as I enjoy seeing Amy stand up to Sheldon, sometimes. Sadly, Penny's behavior towards Leonard is at times more consciously hurtful and derogatory than Sheldon's towards Amy, because Sheldon at least has the excuse of naivete and cluelessness.

We have an expectations thread, how about a hopes thread?

What are you hoping to see in Season 6?

I'm truly hoping to see more character development and story lines that do NOT revolve around Leonard/Penny (getting together, breaking up, having sex, not having sex, dating, not dating, etc etc etc). There ARE other characters and other relationships, that one is getting just SO old.

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping for.

I agree with you 100%. That is getting so old an boring. Definitely more character development and I'll be happy.

Monique

I hope that they kill one of the characters off. That would definitely add make a deeper and most interesting story. It would also be a very unexpected twist. They need to get rid of some characters like Amy, Stewart, Bernadette or Raj. I am not saying all of them, but one from the list would be nice. It needs to be tragic too. In the current situation it seems the most likely candidate is Howard. Slaughtering him would also open up some room for the development of the Raj character, who can then realize his desire for Bernadette, and become the show's most hated character. The show needs one like that. Priya is gone and the girl upstairs was never seen again (perhaps she moved out after the beating). Raj could be that character. That scenario seems most likely because Howard is already in space, so he is set up for death. His character lost the edge after engagement and everything, and having two dead-end characters (Howard and Raj) is not good for the show. Personally, I would be upset if Howard didn't make it back as he is my favorite character, but in the same time i would admire such bald moves by the writers. I am sure the audience would be shocked. On a positive note, Amy getting brutally slaughtered by the monkey that she made to smoke, would very clever and ironic. The problem is that in that scenario we would not get to see her relationship with Sheldon play out completely, but maybe that is for the best. Stewart seems like another excellent candidate, but killing him off would not change the show at all. It would only be very sad that a lonely guy that barely makes ends meet falls victim of armed robbery or something. There would be no scenarios to explore there, just tragedy. Unless of course Leonard or Raj take over the comic book store, there could be something there, but that seems kind of stupid. Bernadette poisoning herself on the job would be interesting. This element allows for infinite possibilities and scenarios that would change the show completely, very interesting direction for the writers to explore.

Tragedy? People slaughtered? We're not talking about the Sopranos, Dexter or Breaking Bad. It's a comedy. The idea is to make people laugh, not wonder who shot J.R.

Hopefully nothing you described will ever happen on TBBT. Getting rid of a character? That's not such a bad idea. Bernadette or Raj could disappear and the show wouldn't miss a beat.

Edited by HeWolf

I don't know, I thought it was pretty funny when Howard got hit by a car.

As far as making people laugh, that's just for atmosphere. This show is about relationships now. Comedy should just be kept in the background, not brought back as a major part of the show.

• Like 1

I too feel like there is not so much comedy anymore, that is why slaughter of characters would fit right in at this point. Back in the earlier seasons I would not suggest that, because there were five main characters, and all of them were hilarious. Now the show is not that way. There has been a lot of very good story and character development, but the comedy is secondary now and that part disappoints me. Still a great show though.

Edited by zoomerxvii

They aren't going to kill anyone or get rid of anyone. They have their final cast as Chuck says... I doubt they'll add anyone either, but idk.

Honestly when Howard got hit by a car the over exaggeration in the acting was great and funny so you could tell it was a dream.