The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheWesleyCrushers

Sheldon Cooper - A Nikola Tesla inspiration

I think the writers and directors of The Big Bang Theory casted Sheldon Cooper as a tribute to Nikola Tesla. I think Sheldon has a picture of Nikola Tesla in his apartment. Following are some of the idiosyncratically similar behaviors that Tesla had :

1) Tesla was 6'2" tall and pale

2) He was meticulous in his grooming, clothing, and regimented in his daily activities

3) He had an Eidetic Memory

4) Tesla probably suffered from obsessive-compulsive disorder

5) He showed Animal advocacy

6) Tesla was a celibate and never married, claiming that his chastity was very helpful to his scientific abilities

7) He became a proponent of an imposed selective breeding version of eugenics

8) Tesla was raised as an Orthodox Christian

Well let see how I compare. 1) no. 2) NO. 3) NOOO. 4) probably Yes. 5) YES. 6) No No Noooo No. 7) I AM a CHRISTian. 8) I'm not dead. How about the rest of you? How do YOU compare?

Ha, I don't think it's a game walnutcowboy. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Amazing! I just read the wiki entry because I knew very little about him. He's totally Sheldon, even down to the OCD repeating of the number three...knock, knock, knock.

The main difference is Nikola was kind and not arrogant. I could see Sheldon ending up as a hermit and forming an attachment to a pigeon. A mad scientist. Tesla's only regret was not marrying because he stayed celibate and concentrated on his work. Sheldon has Amy of course, but it could be him.

Tesla was much more of an engineer than Sheldon.

True he was an inventor but what a remarkable guy and not that far off.

I don't think they used him as a template. But I found it interesting none the less. Guys like him are very rare but they obviously do exist.

Amazing! I just read the wiki entry because I knew very little about him. He's totally Sheldon, even down to the OCD repeating of the number three...knock, knock, knock.

The main difference is Nikola was kind and not arrogant. I could see Sheldon ending up as a hermit and forming an attachment to a pigeon. A mad scientist. Tesla's only regret was not marrying because he stayed celibate and concentrated on his work. Sheldon has Amy of course, but it could be him.

Sorry I guess it was in bad taste. But I'm hooked on the games.

@ walnutcowboy

Nothing wrong with that.

@ Convict13

That is seriously cool. I've just spent the last half hour going through the vids on YouTube.

I searched on youtube, documentaries about Tesla ... and just reminded me of Sheldon on: The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation

It's so sad:icon_cry:

I searched on youtube, documentaries about Tesla ... and just reminded me of Sheldon on: The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation

I didn't find that episode sad, I knew he'd come back. :icon_cheesygrin:

I mean... It reminded me of Sheldon's disappointment... and his friends' behavior... :icon_cry:

I mean... It reminded me of Sheldon's disappointment... and his friends' behavior... :icon_cry:

No way... that episode didn't upset me at all. What happened was unavoidable. Being stuck with Sheldon in a confided space would drive anyone to desperate action. I would have done it! and he's my favourite character, I adore him. What Edison did to Tesla doesn't compare, he was a crook.

I read somewhere that Einstein used to make contracts with his wives..reminded me of sheldon.

As for tesla and sheldon, I unfortunately don't have anything in common with them.

post-7212-13480809829_thumb.jpg

Being from the Arctic, I found this episode to be one of the most unresearched ones that the writers have done.

The summer months in the Arctic are not that cold, hardly any snow and no need to be sleeping nekked to keep warm. I think if they had done better research and not relied on stereotypes, they could have had more funnies of the subject of 24 hour daylight and Sheldon being on tap with seritonin. The above pic is a village in the high arctic in July... see any snow? For a show that prides itself on the research/writing about physics etc, they sure dropped the ball here... and relied on suspension of disbelief.

I don't think Sheldon is arrogant. Its just that he is not wired with more humane neurons which compute humbleness, understanding of sarcasm and when to shut up. Most likely that cranial space was used to make space for his spectacular memory

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I don't think Sheldon is arrogant. Its just that he is not wired with more humane neurons which compute humbleness, understanding of sarcasm and when to shut up. Most likely that cranial space was used to make space for his spectacular memory

Like Bernadette said "the part of his brain that should know he's being mean, is getting a wedgie from the rest of his brain"

That's a very interesting comparison, and quite accurate. Though I'm not sure what Sheldon would have thought of tesla, given that he was essentially more of an engineer, even if he was a brilliant inventor. Certainly not a theoretical physicist. :)

I have one more to add to the list. Tesla, for some odd reason, had an obsession where everything had to be divisible  by 3. For example, when he got a hotel room, the room number had to be divisible by 3, or he would not stay in it, stuff like that. Anyway, Sheldon, in a recent episode, makes a video to his future self. In the video he mentioned how his apartment had to be at 72 degrees Fahrenheit, nothing else, and if he didn't like that to put on a blanket because it has to be 72 and 72 is the the best. Anyway, this got my attention because 72 is divisible by 3.