The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Big Bang Jack

The Big Bang Theory DVD's

Is the picture quality of the show on DVD good? Is it better than on TV? Or worse? Im talking about DVD not Blu-ray. Im thinking of buying the Seasons 1-5 Box Set but if the quality isnt as good as on TV I wont.

The picture quality should techicially be no better nor no worse be it dvd or tv (assuming you are watching on a digital tv)

If you're an absolute pixel addict, then sure, grab the Blu Ray (given that you already have a player capable to view it) but otherwise, the standard dvd quality is fine.

Visually, standard DVD will look fine imo.

The difference between Blu Ray and standard DVD is essentially this: Blu Ray displays at 1080p whilst DVD displays at 480p (think PS3 vs PS2)

Running Blu Ray thru your Philips tv, assuming it is FULL HD (there is a difference between FULL and standard HD) you will get the very best picture.

Again, unless you are an absolute res junkie, you won't notice that big a difference between a Blu Ray copy and a standard DVD copy. Especially for a tv series.

A movie like Avatar, however, yes you would certainly see the difference in visual quality.

For me, I simply go with standard DVD as I cannot justify paying extra for a higher resolution that I personally cannot see.

link: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-6462511-2.html

I would get the DVDs simply because it's fun to have the eps without commercials and you also get some fun extras.

I don't think I can afford to buy the box set, and I had already bought the S3 and S4 DVDs before I realized they were doing a box set.

So I'm going to buy the S5 set, and then eventually go back and get the S1-2 sets.

The reason im hesitant on buying the dvds is because ill watch them al at once and then ill be bored. I like what they do on E4. A few episodes a day, keeps it fresh. Plus with a dvd I cant fall asleep while its on because my PS3 doesnt really do a sleep mode.. I may just buy the S5 dvd.

I only got the BLU-Ray last year because of the extra disc that came with it, this year unless there is an "Special" extras on the blu-ray I will just get the normal.

I am so excited about getting this DVD. I just started watching the show on DVD back in late spring, so I haven't seen any of season 5. I feel a BBT marathon coming on.

Breaking out the intoxicating beverages tomorrow night...