In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

6.02 The Decoupling Fluctuation (Oct. 4)

Tripper

Your episode rating  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Leonard needs to “let it be” for now and let Penny come to terms with her feelings for him. Therefore, in the meantime she has to “carry that weight” with “ a little help form her friends”. However at the end of the day I believe they “will come together”! Then one night when they are both in bed she will turn to him and whisper “do you want to know a secret?” He will say yes, and at that time she will say “I want to tell you” “I want you” “in my life” forever and that I Love You!

Too soap operaish.

I think it's Penny that deserves someone better. Leonard's just way too needy. Constantly pressuring her to tell him she loves him even though she's explained why she won't. It does appear they had sex without him pressuring her to say it or him proposing to her this time though.

I just hope this isn't going to be reverse Dr. Stephanie situation. Episodes of Penny trying to break up with Leonard and having sex with him instead out of guilt/pity.

Leonard is too needy? I don't know if I would say that. Leonard is doing all the work. He's giving 125% to this relationship. If it wasn't for his effort there would be no relationship/ Leonard knows how he feels, he just wants to know how she feels, I think anyone in a relationship deserves to know that from the other.

I think it would be a huge step for leonard, and the show, if leonard once and far all, told penny enough is enough. I don't think they should break them up, but perhaps leonard needs to come to this so that they can move forward. The relationship is too one sided right now.

Leonard needs to “let it be” for now and let Penny come to terms with her feelings for him. Therefore, in the meantime she has to “carry that weight” with “ a little help form her friends”. However at the end of the day I believe they “will come together”! Then one night when they are both in bed she will turn to him and whisper “do you want to know a secret?” He will say yes, and at that time she will say “I want to tell you” “I want you” “in my life” forever and that I Love You!

Nice thought and it would be great if it happened. With the Penny we had prior to The Wheaton Recurrence it might have been possible. But with Penny well down the transformational road to becoming Katie (the female character from the pilot that Lorre wanted on TBBT) it doesn't seem very likely. If more sensible creative minds are allowed to guide Penny back from the precipice then maybe her character, and the L/P relationship, can be salvaged. We can only wait and see.

Edited by HeWolf

Leonard needs to go to CERN for 3 months, maybe with a female colleague who he has no interest in, to remind Penny what it's like without Leonard, and how she felt seeing him with another woman, even if it's just on video chat.

Imagine Sheldon trying to get Amy to replace Leonard in his daily routine. Might give the girl second thoughts. :icon_eek:

BTW, on the hubba,hubba, remark. Leonard doesn't have a spotless driving record, he got a speeding ticket driving back from the conference after Penny met the giant missile.

As discussed on another thread, it makes much more sense if you think of Penny as the man and Leonard as the woman. Penny is the beer swilling "jock" with typical male relationship issues, mocked by her "buddies" when she vacillates about Leonard. "Dude, you slept with her after she laid all that relationship crap on you??? Weak!!"

Leonard is the girl who wants the perfect relationship. He is constantly trying to move a reluctant Penny forward to some ideal place. Unfortunately, he is blind to Penny's actual qualities.

My negative reaction all to this is because IMNSHO, Penny is borderline abusive to Leonard. It's not funny at all. I want the nice "Girl next door Penny" back, not "The "B" in apartment 403"

I think we need to see Penny in the bathtub with some hunk, ala Howard/Katie Sackoff, and get the answer to the question, "Why are you holding out when you have a great relationship for the taking?" Worked for Howard. Is Penny really shallower than him?

Edited by Disgusted
  • Like 2

Penny is lucky she can always say to Leonard "I want to hold your hand" and he wont object like Sheldon does.

As discussed on another thread, it makes much more sense if you think of Penny as the man and Leonard as the woman. Penny is the beer swilling "jock" with typical male relationship issues.

I think we need to see Penny in the bathtub with some hunk, ala Howard/Katie Sackoff, and get the answer to the question, "Why are you holding out when you have a great relationship for the taking?" Worked for Howard. Is Penny really shallower than him?

"Go Sports" and the dialog that followed clearly established the gender roles in the relationship. The only traditional aspect of L/P is that she controls when and how often they have sex.

Is Penny shallower than Howard? There's a river running through Death Valley that's deeper than Penny. She's the Aquaman of girlfriends. She sucks!

• Like 1

Nice thought. The "and they lived happily, forever after" would be a great way to end the  Leonard and Penny Beauty and the Geek fairy tale. As He wolf said, It would make sense for the versions of L&P of S1-S3, but won't work for versions of L&P of S4-S5. The writers fubar'd Penny badly by transforming Beauty into the Wicked Witch -- self centered, cold, mean heartless, etc. 

Having Leonard "let it be", while Penny sorts through her emotions would be good way to keep the storyline going, but if Penny says ILY to Leonard now, it would be lacking sincerity and depth or as Raj said...pretty weak tea.  They need to fix Penny badly... bring back the warmth and sweetness of Penny (S1-3), erase that lack of fear of Leonard would ever hurt or break up with her, etc. ...for a Penny ILY to have any meaningful depth. 

• Like 1

Leonard needs to go to CERN for 3 months, maybe with a female colleague who he has no interest in, to remind Penny what it's like without Leonard, and how she felt seeing him with another woman, even if it's just on video chat.

Imagine Sheldon trying to get Amy to replace Leonard in his daily routine. Might give the girl second thoughts. :icon_eek:

BTW, on the hubba,hubba, remark. Leonard doesn't have a spotless driving record, he got a speeding ticket driving back from the conference after Penny met the giant missile.

As discussed on another thread, it makes much more sense if you think of Penny as the man and Leonard as the woman. Penny is the beer swilling "jock" with typical male relationship issues, mocked by her "buddies" when she vacillates about Leonard. "Dude, you slept with her after she laid all that relationship crap on you??? Weak!!"

Leonard is the girl who wants the perfect relationship. He is constantly trying to move a reluctant Penny forward to some ideal place. Unfortunately, he is blind to Penny's actual qualities.

My negative reaction all to this is because IMNSHO, Penny is borderline abusive to Leonard. It's not funny at all. I want the nice "Girl next door Penny" back, not "The "B" in apartment 403"

No offense but Howard swung and missed all the time, he was weird. Penny never swings and misses cause she's the beach blonde bum. What guy would pass on the hot girl?

No offense but Howard swung and missed all the time, he was weird. Penny never swings and misses cause she's the beach blonde bum. What guy would pass on the hot girl?

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong. Penny has struck out with every guy she's been with up until Leonard. Remember the Sheldon quote, "Guy after guy leaving the apartment, never to return."? What do you suppose is the reason for that? Most guys will "Hit particulate soil in a colloidal suspension". But not on a regular basis.

Have you ever heard the saying, "No matter how hot the girl is, there's a guy out there that's tired of screwing her."? That was Kurt. He started with Penny when she was 18, and rode the Ferris wheel for four years until he got tired of it. Now, to put it politely, Penny has issues. So after one or two dates with a new guy, Penny puts out. Unfortunately for her, by that time most guys can smell the crazy on her, and beat it. Leonard is the only guy who has stuck with her, and that's only because he has her on a pedestal where she can do no wrong, due to his own issues.. If Penny blows it with Leonard, its back to waking up on a futon with a bunch of strange people.

I hear there's a thing called situational comedy.This situation is a lot of things, but it sure as hell ain't funny.

Edited by Disgusted

So after one or two dates with a new guy, Penny puts out. Unfortunately for her, by that time most guys can smell the crazy on her, and beat it. Leonard is the only guy who has stuck with her, and that's only because he has her on a pedestal where she can do no wrong, due to his own issues..

This seems a tad harsh. Penny's not "crazy" so much as commitment-phobic - a trait most men would welcome. :p Before the last couple of seasons when she was turned into a flighty semi-alcoholic, Penny had plenty of good qualities - she's kind, generous, funny, friendly, compassionate - and those are the qualities Leonard still sees in her.

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong. Penny has struck out with every guy she's been with up until Leonard. Remember the Sheldon quote, "Guy after guy leaving the apartment, never to return."? What do you suppose is the reason for that? Most guys will "Hit particulate soil in a colloidal suspension". But not on a regular basis.

Have you ever heard the saying, "No matter how hot the girl is, there's a guy out there that's tired of screwing her."? That was Kurt. He started with Penny when she was 18, and rode the Ferris wheel for four years until he got tired of it. Now, to put it politely, Penny has issues. So after one or two dates with a new guy, Penny puts out. Unfortunately for her, by that time most guys can smell the crazy on her, and beat it. Leonard is the only guy who has stuck with her, and that's only because he has her on a pedestal where she can do no wrong, due to his own issues.. If Penny blows it with Leonard, its back to waking up on a futon with a bunch of strange people.

I hear there's a thing called situational comedy.This situation is a lot of things, but it sure as hell ain't funny.

I think you're taking it all a little too seriously. I don't think they're writing the great love story of the ages. I don't think they're intending Penny to be deeply motivated or for her history to be played for anything but laughs, much like Howard's personality was. In real life he'd be something of a sad creep, but on the show he's something of a bumbling clown in the romance arena.

I think that Penny is suppoed to be more "successful" at dating in general, but she isn't really looking for true love. She's a party girl and there's nothing that says that the guys who never return leave because they're tired of her. We know that to a certain extent, she's the one who turns them away--like she did Zack because he was too dumb even for her.

There were a couple of bad boyfriends--the one that she was angry with in the one where she threw his phone out the window at the guys' apartment, and Kurt from the beginning and then that motorcycle-driving physicist who turned out to be married. But for all we know, any other guy she's dated however briefly were guys that she decided not to date anymore. We have no evidence to suggest that any of them actually dumped her or "smelled the crazy on her"--how do you figure that? What do you use as evidence of that?

Kurt was a jerk in general--and even after they broke up at the beginning, he still wanted to be with her come that Halloween party, where he again acted like a jerk. He wasn't some good guy disgusted by a tramp. He was a jerk that she ultimately didn't want to date anymore.

I think that Penny is suppoed to be more "successful" at dating in general, but she isn't really looking for true love. She's a party girl and there's nothing that says that the guys who never return leave because they're tired of her. We know that to a certain extent, she's the one who turns them away--like she did Zack because he was too dumb even for her.

There were a couple of bad boyfriends--the one that she was angry with in the one where she threw his phone out the window at the guys' apartment, and Kurt from the beginning and then that motorcycle-driving physicist who turned out to be married. But for all we know, any other guy she's dated however briefly were guys that she decided not to date anymore. We have no evidence to suggest that any of them actually dumped her or "smelled the crazy on her"--how do you figure that? What do you use as evidence of that?

Kurt was a jerk in general--and even after they broke up at the beginning, he still wanted to be with her come that Halloween party, where he again acted like a jerk. He wasn't some good guy disgusted by a tramp. He was a jerk that she ultimately didn't want to date anymore.

The reason that Penny went out with Leonard in the first place is that she could not find a decent guy that either she cared for or who cared for her. She went through this rather detailed anaysis to Sheldon in the last epsisode of season one:

Penny: The point is Leonard isn’t the kind of guy I usually go out with. What I’m saying is, Leonard might be different in a good way. Obviously my usual choices have not worked out so well. But on the other hand, if things don’t go well with Leonard, I risk losing a really good friend. I mean, I guess he’s not looking for a fling, he’s the kind of guy that gets into a relationship for, I don’t know, like you would say light years.

Ah, the good old days; when Penny was sweet, sober and could anaylize a situation, verbalize her feelings and plan more than 30 minutes into the future with out forgetting what she did yesterday. That was the Penny pre-"Wheaton Reccurrance", before the Dark Times. Now, five years later, all these things that she figured out in season one have to be explained to her by her friends in season six. She didn't lose that many brain cells from the drinking, did she?

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 3

I think you're taking it all a little too seriously.

I'm taking it too seriously??? You've got to be kidding. Come back when I have 1500 posts about the shenny or the shamy or other such nonsense.

I think that Penny is suppoed to be more "successful" at dating in general, but she isn't really looking for true love. She's a party girl and there's nothing that says that the guys who never return leave because they're tired of her. We know that to a certain extent, she's the one who turns them away--like she did Zack because he was too dumb even for her

I guess if her definition of success is sleeping around willy nilly, you have a point..

Sorry, I should have checked the Bro Code before I mentioned that in mixed company. For the record, all women are perfectly sane at all times and all men believe that. :icon_rolleyes:

He must not have been a jerk in her eyes in the beginning, or she never would have stayed with him for four years. The trampiness started after Kurt. Big old five.

Edited by Disgusted
  • Like 1

I'm taking it too seriously??? You've got to be kidding. Come back when I have 1500 posts about the shenny or the shamy or other such nonsense.

What does the number of posts about it have to do with anything?

I'm just wondering why you get so het up over a fictional TV character's dating life.

I guess if her definition of success is sleeping around willy nilly, you have a point..

I think it's more the definition of her character as seen by the show's creators--she's the more worldly-wise of the group from the outset because she's able to negotiate society in a more normal way, even if she has lots of guys. If Leonard and the others were able to find willing women, they'd all be sleeping around just as much as Penny, except for Sheldon.

My point is that her character is supposed to be seen as more socially adept.

Sorry, I should have checked the Bro Code before I mentioned that in mixed company. For the record, all women are perfectly sane at all times and all men believe that. :icon_rolleyes:

What I was saying is that there's no evidence that she was rejected by any of the men she has dated or that any of them found her to be crazy or objectionable in any way.

He must not have been a jerk in her eyes in the beginning, or she never would have stayed with him for four years. The trampiness started after Kurt. Big old five.

Well, she was apparently pretty promiscuous before she met Kurt, so whatever.

My point is that you've made up this whole scenario about the guys she's dated when there's little to no evidence concerning them. You hate or something to the point that you've created some kind of imaginary life full of imaginary relationships so that you can condemn her.

If the writers don't condemn her by having the other characters condemn her, then they're obviously not painting the picture that you imagine they're painting.

The same can be said about Sheldon--some viewers think he's the most horrible, obnoxious person on the planet and wonder why the others put up with him, but, as Jim Parsons pointed out, the charcter is judged as the others judge him--they may get exasperated by him, but they don't hate him and so he is not condemned for his behavior.

If the writers want to make someone out to be the bad guy, then that is usually outlined by the reaction of those around that character.

What you imagine about Penny simply isn't on the page, but only in your imagination.

I already watched this episode and it was really good. I just can't wait. I really liked this episode because there's a shenny moment but the most part that struck me most was the part when Sheldon confronted Penny about her decision in breaking up with Leonard. It seems to me that Sheldon really cares for Leonard even though his exterior part of him is like a robot, no emotions but deep inside he has an emotion. He just can't show it because he is too smart and he is not expressive but he has an emotion and he can be caring. Sheldon understood Leonard's difficulties in the past when Penny broke up with her before and he doesn't want to see his friend hurt. It gave me a goosebump when Sheldon said "Please don't hurt my friend" and I saw the softer side of Sheldon. :icon_razz: :icon_razz: :icon_razz:

This episode was shown in Australia tonight and my partner watched it with me, I liked this episode when I watched it last week online, so I was a little "spoiled" when it came to watching it tonight, anyway the only review my partner had about the whole episode is that he is over the Leonard/Penny storyline.

The writers are certainly slowly but surely beginning the transformation of Sheldon into a caring, warm blooded humanoid. I just wonder how he reacts when this new Sheldon's first true love physics is effected by his mind not quite having that super keen focus it once had. When that was all he cared to think about. He already was extremely upset last season when his cuddling with Amy effected his work.

The writers are certainly slowly but surely beginning the transformation of Sheldon into a caring, warm blooded humanoid. I just wonder how he reacts when this new Sheldon's first true love physics is effected by his mind not quite having that super keen focus it once had. When that was all he cared to think about. He already was extremely upset last season when his cuddling with Amy effected his work.

Yes, they definitely need to have an episode in the future where sheldon is struggling with his focus. It would be very good.

Edited by BazingaFan