Question About Apple Logos On The Show...

phantagrae

I've noticed that it seems like with any Apple product that the characters use on the show, they all seem to have some kind of sticker or something covering part of the Apple logo--apparently the apple stem and "bite".

I first noticed it on someone's laptop, or more than one laptop, then on the TV or monitor in Amy's apartment and on Sheldon't iPad, as well.

It's not as if they don't talk about Apple and things like iPods and iPhones, and it's pretty obvious when it's an Apple product, like the iPad, so what's the deal with not showing the logo?

I think Penny has a Dell laptop and you can pretty clearly see the Dell logo on the lid of her laptop whenever she carries it into the guys' apartment.

They have all kinds of product placement on the show, with all the drinks they guys are always drinking--Fiji water, Sobe and Snapple and various sodas, etc.

Does anyone know what the story is behind the obscured Apple logos?

• Like 1

There are threads on the forum that talk about logos and how they are altered on the show. Even the logos on the things you recognize have been altered if you look closely enough. I believe Netmouse was one of the eagle eyes that used to post on this subject.

Edited by HeWolf

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

well, we know that Apple likes to sue everybody for anything, so they're just covering just in case IMO

But usually product placement is something that companies welcome--that's why you do see company logos on things. Someone picks up a Pepsi and you see the label very clearly. It's a form of advertising for the company--"Look, Sheldon loves Red Vines! Don't you want to be like Sheldon?"

On The Closer, they kind of made it a point in the last couple of seasons to prominently show the front of the package of whatever cookies or candy someone was eating--passing around a bag of Twizzlers, etc. And Toyota has practically inserted whole commercials into the visuals and dialog of Rizzoli and Isles, for instance.

So, usually it's a good thing for a company to have its products prominently displayed on a show. I'm sure some kind of a deal is worked out, but usually in the company's favor, not in the show's favor, I would think. It would be like a weekly commercial without having to buy the ad time.

And if CBS thought that Apple didn't want people to see an Apple logo on the show, then the producers/set dressers could just get some other brand rather than going to all that trouble to thinly disguise what is obviously an Apple product.

They have to get clearences for certain types of usage, like when referring to a product, like mentioning an iPad or talking about Google or whatever, as I understand it, just like they have to get clearance (and pay for it) to use a song.

Hmm....

Edited by phantagrae

Most TV shows I've watched since childhood do this with most logos. Notice it's not only the computer brands they hide. It's also the water, soda etc. Some TV shows won't even say the names. For example, I've heard "Flitter" being said to replace Twitter. LOL.

It's not worth even taking the chance of getting sued so that's why they do this and Frankly, I don't blame them.

Monique

Most TV shows I've watched since childhood do this with most logos. Notice it's not only the computer brands they hide. It's also the water, soda etc. Some TV shows won't even say the names. For example, I've heard "Flitter" being said to replace Twitter. LOL.

It's not worth even taking the chance of getting sued so that's why they do this and Frankly, I don't blame them.

Monique

The only reason they'd get sued is if they mention a brand name without permission, or if the company doesn't want their brand or product mentioned or used in the way the TV show intends (there was an instance on The X-Files involving a cow and the term "Big Mac", for instance).

But most companies and brands like to see their products used onscreen because it's free or semi-free advertizing. And like I said, why go through all the trouble of buying Apple laptops just to partially cover up the logo? Why not make it look completely generic?

When they've mentioned iPods, for instance, I'm sure they have to get copyright clearance to do so. But putting a product on camera is completely different.

As I mentioned earlier, Toyota has had some virtual commercials within TV shows, going a step beyond product placement. In one Rizzoli and Isles episode, the two women are sitting in Isles's new Toyota on a sort of stakeout. The camera pans lovingly up the front of the car, showing the Toyota logo on the hood, and then while they're sitting there, Rizzoli mentions that she's hot, so Isles points out the nice little solar-powered fan the car has, blah blah blah. Instant commerical masquerading as regular show dialog.

Now, if Apple and Pepsico and Dell and whoever else are not sponsors of TBBT, then why bother using their products in such an obvious way? I just find it puzzling because product placement is usually something that the companies want to do, not something they would sue over. And surely Warner Brothers and CBS and all those guys can afford a few product placement deals or whatever.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Dell/Alienware are sponsors, since day 1 and that's why they are the only logos they show on the computers. There was only a couple of episodes on Season 4 when they covered them, (maybe they were renegotiating the contract?) but then they started showing them again.

There's a super duper huge thread I created on all the product name changes to date somewhere in the bowels of this forum.

There wasn't a great deal of product stuff during the last season. I think I only added a couple of new sightings to the list. Hoping to get some new stuff this season.

• 7 months later...

Quote: Warner Brothers and CBS and all those guys can afford a few product placement deals or whatever.

Not so fast...to me they are less customer friendly than Apple brand  As I gather. what makes Apple brand products so popular. is their different way of approach to customers. I've visited any stores (UK) of Apple and they are so helpful and available for any questions. Must mention about their free first class lectures and presentations taking place all day long for clients and the occasional customer alike. :)

Edited by wannamaker

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it is an apple thing, more like a network thing. 

I bet apple would love their logo plastered over shows like this. But a lot of TV networks don't like to advertise for people who are not paying for it.

In the UK we have BBC, and BBC are not even allowed to mention a brand unless they state "other brands are available"...

silly... but that's politics.