In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

Howard Is Dead. How Sad...

Sherminator

Oh... if only that were the case! If Bernadette liked Howard's lounge lizard banter, they would be a much funnier couple. I'm waiting for the day she comes back at him with a twisted wisecrack instead of telling him off… that day must come! ^_^

When she was first introduced, she was charmed by all his goofy lines, his sense of humor (even though she didn't always get the joke), etc., even his tight "hoochie pants".

She doesn't have the same kind of way of speaking, but that doesn't mean she doesn't like him or find him charming.

Liking his banter doesn't have anything to do with her responding in kind.

The marriage would never work in real life. For cultural differences.

I mean if they had a boy baby:

-Howard would insist on circumcession (or howerver it's spelled...) because it's the done thing with jews.

-Bernadette would refuse such barbaric mutilation.

Divorce!

That's ridiculous.

Most baby boys are circumcised, whether or not they're Jewish, unless the parents specifically object. Just because Bernadette isn't Jewish doesn't mean that she would necessarily object.

Though she's Catholic, she doesn't seem to be all that strict about it--sleeping with Howard before they were married, marrying outside of the church, etc., and he plays fast and loose with his religious rules, as well, so they don't seem to have had any religious issues so far, which would ordinarily be the main source of conflict in marriages of mixed religions.

I doubt that the writers are going to want to bring up that angle. They really have kind of already dealt with it back when Mrs. Wolowitz was told about the engagement and she didn't seem to have a problem with B being Catholic.

Lots of people make such marriages work, but it just depends on where they decide to compromise.

• Like 1

-Howard would insist on circumcession (or howerver it's spelled...) because it's the done thing with jews.

Divorce!

Most boys are circumcised (in the US anyway) regardless of religion. I'm Catholic and all four of my brothers are circumcised. What evidence do you have that Bernadette would object? I've never heard the discussion on the show so far. Besides, Howard is hardly an Orthodox Jew. There are repeated jokes about how he eats pork and such. His Jewishness is more about his personal identity than as some motivating force in his life decisions.

The fact is that Bernadette loves Howard, and he loves her.

I really wish amy and bernadette would take a long walk somewhere. A divorce storyline would be too depressing and wouldn't work but they should be put on the backburner for a bit.

I'd rather watch a series 1-3 episode that I've seen 40 times before than rewatch most of season 5.

Here are some possible (plausible?) storylines for a amy-bernadette hiatus:

-Bernadette gets fired and gets another job far away somewhere. European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Disease would do. Even go to their annual conference for a week and take amy with her.

-Amy encounters another guy who is way more into her than Sheldon, she gives Sheldon (another!) ultimatum and Sheldon refuses to cross the line. Timed with some big event for Sheldon to keep his mind from desiring cats.

-Some kind of "what if" episode, where they don't have girlfriends, including penny

-TBBT is probably too light hearted for deaths

ugh I give up

I know it seems to works out well cos it gives Penny has 2 female friends of her own now but the imbalance is what made the show great!

Doesn't matter how, just both of them give the comedy some space to breathe

• Like 1

Divorce!

This is probably one of the most uneducated posts I've seen about mixed faith marriages.

Male circumcision is not restricted to just being of the Jewish faith, many other faiths believe in it. However, in North America, Britain, Australia male circumcision rose to approx 72% of all male children regardless of religious affiliation by the 1950s. It was no longer seen as just a religious rite of passage for some faiths, it was seen as a health issue for men. Even today, those who work in the area of sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV hold that a circumcised penis reduces the risk of infection.

In your observation of Judaism versus Catholicism, you have factored out that this marriage has other social constructs that will affect their relationship. such as oh.. they are both American, highly educated and live is a society that simply doesn't care anymore who one marries.

I've noticed that a quite a few of your posts are centred around Howard's Judaism... it appears that you aren't as concerned with the rest of the character's religious affiliations as you are Howard's. I think in my humble opinion that you have missed the social commentary of the show where religion simply has a different place amongst those who study science. Each character has demonstrated how one reconciles one's beliefs to scientific pursuits.

• Like 2

I really wish amy and bernadette would take a long walk somewhere. A divorce storyline would be too depressing and wouldn't work but they should be put on the backburner for a bit.

I'd rather watch a series 1-3 episode that I've seen 40 times before than rewatch most of season 5.

-Bernadette gets fired and gets another job far away somewhere. European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Disease would do. Even go to their annual conference for a week and take amy with her.

-Amy encounters another guy who is way more into her than Sheldon, she gives Sheldon (another!) ultimatum and Sheldon refuses to cross the line. Timed with some big event for Sheldon to keep his mind from desiring cats.

-Some kind of "what if" episode, where they don't have girlfriends, including penny

ugh I give up

I know it seems to works out well cos it gives Penny has 2 female friends of her own now but the imbalance is what made the show great!

I think you might just quit watching the current show and just console yourself with your S1-3 DVDs, because these girls ain't going anywhere.

Obviously the comedy still works since the show's ratings are great and apparently plenty of people find the comedy just fine.

I think that all three girls work well in highlighting who the guys are and meshing with and conflicting with each of the guys in various combinations. What I like about the girls is that they are good friends and they genuinely love and accept the guys and are loved and accepted in return. And I'm not just talking about romantic love--they're all in a place of comfort with each other, yet there is still plenty of fodder for comedy.

ugh I give up

I agree with you on everything. Except I don't know if the show is too light hearted for deaths. I think it might have what it takes.

I love the old, creepy Howard, but I also admire how Simon has managed to take the changes in his character and continue to make him endearing. It's a testament to his acting that to me, anyway, he still feels like the same guy, despite the fact that "constant hound dog womanizer" is no longer his primary purpose.

Completely agree with this post. Personally, I think that "old" Howard was funnier, but Simon is a great actor and he's certainly doing a good job with the latest developments in the character's life.

• Like 1

If Sherminator lives in Europe then it's a big deal there. The US and Europe have different customs. And intermarriage and circumcision are very very common here, but not over there.

ah, yes, the great USA. cutting up babies because some ancient folk tale tells them to. How very intelligent...

• Like 2

I liked the way howard got that look in his eyes when he was talking about looking down at earth to bernie in the space station. He really is a good actor -- they all are -- but the show has changed so much. It makes it hard not to miss the old ways.

I think new howard is funny too; they just need to get some good story lines for him other than the same old ones with his mother and bernie.

• Like 1

Howard used to be my favourite character in the show.

His womanizing and daredevil attitude was outrageously funny, especially when he was hitting on Penny.

But that is no more.

With his marriage, Howard lost his charming attributes, and is now merely a regular joe.

So, in effect, old Howard is dead.

And since Leonard lost his nerdy character in S3, there really is no reason to watch BBT any more.

I mean what fun is there now?

No. I shall not watch the next season. It would be too sad to watch the castrated Howard.

I think you underestimate the ability of the writers to make Howard still funny. You are basically saying you are not open to change. Sorry, I think Howard can and still will be a funny character.

• Like 1

Exhaustive study made in europe showed that circumcision is totally unnessessary operation in most cases.

Indeed, docs had been cutting babes, not for medical reasons, but out of ignorance and superstition.

And that is why circumcision is frowned upon in europe.

Of course, things are a bit more backward in america, where docs still use eels and cantrips to heal their patients...

Still, if you want unnessessarily expose your offspring to aggressive hospital bacteria, be my guest.

Howard's character is some what similar to Chandler's

very funny in the beggining....gets married...still funny but not as funny as before...

but this mom berni space thing got old in the first episode itself..lets hope he returns faster

Of course, things are a bit more backward in america, where docs still use eels and cantrips to heal their patients...

WTH are you talking about?

You already said you aren't going to watch this season. So, why do you care what they do with Howard? If you are watching then your opinion certainly counts. If not, then why are you posting on something that apparently will not affect you in any way? For the record, I agree with you on the preference for old Howard. But, I don't think new Howard is all that bad. Just different and not better than the original.

Furthermore, your objection to the Catholic girl marrying the Jewish man has some pretty nasty undertones. Maybe that's a common viewpoint in enlightened Finland. But, here in backwards America, we pretty much don't care what religion people have when they get married. We still have some social issues to work through, but that isn't one of them.

Circumcision is not nearly as prevalent in the US as is used to be. And there are movements in certain communities to ban or sharply curtail the practice. If Bernadette and Howard have any children then it certainly could become an issue. But no less than what religion (if any) their children would be raised in. Neither of them seems to be particularly religious. Howard openly mocks his religion and certainly doesn't appear to follow Jewish teachings. Bernadette, to my recollection, has never mentioned hers at all. Neither set of parents seemed to have any heartache about their children marrying outside their faith. I don't know the attitudes of either of these religions in Europe. But, in the US there are many non-practicing Jews and what are referred to as C&E (Christmas and Easter) Catholics (and other Christians). Neither of which would care too much if their children married someone of another religion.

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 2

Exhaustive study made in europe showed that circumcision is totally unnessessary operation in most cases.

Indeed, docs had been cutting babes, not for medical reasons, but out of ignorance and superstition.

Still, if you want unnessessarily expose your offspring to aggressive hospital bacteria, be my guest.

Ah yes, the old "everything from Europe is better" argument.

So how are those countries requiring economic bailouts doing these days?

How are your natural resources doing these days? Still got lots to feed, heat and clothe your populations?

How are those Freedom of Expression/Religion laws working out these days? Bet if we asked Finnish Romas/Sami how they are getting along, they'd have something to say.

You seemed to have overlooked that the majority of Americans are in fact of European descent. Non cadit ab arbore pomum dicis?

Things from this side of of pond aren't looking too good for little countries over in Europe right now. My government is debating whether to bail out yet another mismanaged European country. Best be careful where you toss your apple core when you cite "European studies".

• Like 2

So your point, before this bizarre diversion into completely uncalled-for anti-American sentiment, was that the cultural differences between Howard and Bernadette regarding circumcision would lead to divorce. As Americans, and well actually as just people who have watched the show, we assert that this is not likely due to the lack of any significant belief differences in this matter. So, your argument holds no water.

That's an American expression which means you're full of shit. :)

Edited by Europa
  • Like 2