The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hishamnajam

The International Space Station

In the 1st episode of season 6 of The Big Bang Theory Howard Wolowitz appears to be floating in the International Space Station. I was wondering is it possible to create zero gravity environment on earth?

Did they use some hollywood stunt to create such a scene?

Just curious to know! :icon_redface:

It has to be wires right? They film in a studio so I guess they are harnessed or fixed to something and act out the rest. It looks pretty good how they float around but it would be slower if it were the real thing.

I think someone said that Simon had said that he was sore from the harness. It would certainly be the cheapest way to do it.

Someone had raised this question in another thread/topic somewhere and I had mentioned that in Apollo 13 they used these little seesaw-like benches to raise the actors up and down as if they were floating.

Someone else had mentioned the harness comment by Simon, so I had assumed they had used some kind of suspension, but it looks like they used the "bench" process.

I thought maybe they had used a green screen for the background of the station, but it looks like they had an actual built set and used the bench thingies. That's actually pretty cool.

So no wires then, it does look pretty good. Thanks for posting.

You are welcome Moonbase, my pleasure to find the article in the clutter that is my Facebook

I thought maybe they had used a green screen for the background of the station, but it looks like they had an actual built set and used the bench thingies. That's actually pretty cool.

Pretty cool indeed phantagrae, hopefully there might be a feature on how they created the Space Station set on the Season 6 DVD/BluRay.

It's amazing the trouble they went to creating such a realistic replica of the space station. It's just a shame the scenes have been wasted. It's all mother vs wife arguments and he could have done that on earth. I was hoping for some chaos caused by Howard, like the broken space toilet incident. Something funny. They must have spent so long researching the set, they could have come up with something to use from the two real astronauts on the set. Bit of a wasted opportunity IMHO.

• Like 1

Yeah, he was in a harness, sitting on a stool with wheels. So when I watched it, the post-production wasn't done yet and he was still sliding around on the stool... lol.

It's amazing the trouble they went to creating such a realistic replica of the space station. It's just a shame the scenes have been wasted. It's all mother vs wife arguments and he could have done that on earth. I was hoping for some chaos caused by Howard, like the broken space toilet incident. Something funny. They must have spent so long researching the set, they could have come up with something to use from the two real astronauts on the set. Bit of a wasted opportunity IMHO.

I have to agree they have wasted not only the set but the incredible talents of Simon. So much more fun could have been had.

I have to agree they have wasted not only the set but the incredible talents of Simon. So much more fun could have been had.

Absolutely, Simon used to be my second favourite after Sheldon but they are not using him to full effect anymore. Having a character become an astronaut and go to the International Space Station was a great opportunity to do something amazing. I'm so disappointed in how little effort they are putting in to his stories. The Stag party could have been a riot but it was so limp and terrible. I think they need to change the writers again, there are some Brit ones who I think would do a good job but I can't see that happening. I really hope there's some better stuff ahead this season.