The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Walrus52

Is The Show Still Funny?

I love the show, but for me it's just not what it used to be. The entire format has changed too much, and become too much about Penny, Bernadette and Amy. It was quick out of the blocks, and at its apex through Series Two and Three (The Griffin Equivalency is one of the finest 25 minutes of TV comedy I've seen), but so far Series Six is yet to thrill me. At all. I've laughed maybe once or twice in total at the three episodes.

Some people have said that the show has reached an inevitable stage, where the four guys' friendship with Penny has helped them moved away somewhat from their nerdy ways. But does that excuse dragging out said development for longer than necessary, across over one-hundred episodes, and turning it from a laugh-out-loud comedy into a poor man's Friends (not that that was the best show in the world)?

• Like 2

The show still has me laughing loud. its sheldon, his facial expressions and reactions to normal things get me. but on a more certain note. it is still funny in my opinion.

Even if it wasn't, I'd still watch because I've fallen too deep in love with all the characters to back out now. LOL.

Monique

Edited by MJistheBOMB

Ah... the planet bollywood epsiode. Season 2 was so good and I can't deny how original it was, but I still love the show now.

Season six hasn't aired in the UK yet, but I know I'm still going to laugh. As someone else said, I've come to love the characters so much, that I can't back out. I want to watch them till death do us part.

Edited by Catweazle

I am guilty of watching too many reruns or getting too involved with the show. As a result MY perception of the show has changed and I don't see the show as funny as I did before getting involved. Over Thinking isn't always good.

Yes, the show is still funny and so far this season it is better than I remember it being at this point last season.

I have not been a fan of how the Penny-Leonard relationship has developed and so anything to do with Penny and the girls usually doesn't interest me at all unless Sheldon is involved.

So, i do look back at Season 1 and 2 with much fondness as it was a simpler time and since it was so fresh and new it had a lot of 'first-time' laughs. I laugh a lot at things to do with Sheldon and his characteristics, nerdy things they do and their interaction with reoccuring characters (Kripke, Wheaton, Stuart, etc.). I also still get a kick out of Howard's exchanges with his mother.

I don't like when the show seems to reduce itself to really cheap laughs (crude humor, making fun of Sheldon for being himself, etc.) but I'm giving the show a chance still unless it really jumps the shark sometime this season. But so far .. so good!

Yep. Granted, not as original as it was simply because it's been on for awhile now but still pretty damn funny.

I'm a TBBT addict. I watch the show on a loop. It never ends. I watch series 1-5 on dvd, and when I get to the end I start again. I never stop laughing, even though I know whats coming.

Edited by Catweazle

As a whole...Yup.  Admittedly, I thought season 1-3 was better than seasons 4-5.  S1-3 had more memorable episodes with LOL scenes, whist S4-5 had fewer memorable episodes, but was mostly funny.  The Leonard & Penny saga of S4-5 was a letdown. I found the story line lacked depth and Penny progressively became unlikeable. The Penny & Raj hookup, and Penny vs. Leonard battle scenes were neither funny nor entertaining. 

Thus far, S6 has been very good. The writer seem to be reinvigorated, are doing a good job unFUBARing Penny, and actors have been hot. Raj, Sheldon, Amy are smokin.

• Like 1

I don't think there were any less LOL moments in the 4th and 5th seasons--and I would argue that the growth in the audience and ratings would underscore that. If the show weren't funny, people wouldn't be tuning in.

Not everyone has the same sense of humor, obviously, but the show continues to hook people, and I think it's a combination of humor and the individual characters that people have grown to love.

As a whole...Yup. Admittedly, I thought season 1-3 was better than seasons 4-5. S1-3 had more memorable episodes with LOL scenes, whist S4-5 had fewer memorable episodes, but was mostly funny. The Leonard & Penny saga of S4-5 was a letdown. I found the story line lacked depth and Penny progressively became unlikeable. The Penny & Raj hookup, and Penny vs. Leonard battle scenes were neither funny nor entertaining.

Thus far, S6 has been very good. The writer seem to be reinvigorated, are doing a good job unFUBARing Penny, and actors have been hot. Raj, Sheldon, Amy are smokin.

Have to agree, specially with bolded part! I loved 1- 3 because it was still "original" if you know what I mean. The jokes were new, goofy, quirky & ROFL material. The following seasons had a change in that style & so far have not been able to pinpoint where that came from...& of course the characters change...that is only natural. Maybe it also has something to do with the growing popularity of the show, that the writers feel some sort of pressure to keep the ratings high... So far S6 has been a better start imo as I thought the start of S5 has been.

But I also happen to have a bond with the cast now & wanna keep following what happens to them!

I've been watching the reruns and have to agree; the show was wittier and funnier then. Seasons 5 & 6 are less amusing to me because it's focused on 'normalizing' the nerds; in the words of the writers 'making them grow up' which = turning them into regular couples with regular couples' problems. Any show can do that. I bought into the eccentric world of super-geeky geniuses & the girl, Penny, who weirdly fit in with them.

• Like 1

For me, S1-3 was funnier b/c the Beauty and the Geeks theme was unique different than other sitcoms, and had better writing. The S4-5 Three and half relationships theme changed the dynamics of the show and felt like the start of a Friends -redux.  The writing didn't seem to have as much creative forethought. They FUBAR'd Penny, turned the L&P saga into a psycho drama, neutered Howard, Amy ranged from boring to bat crap crazy, and Bernadette was (and still is) annoying sweet. 

I would have preferred keeping the Beauty and the Geeks theme...you know...homeostasis, but can accept the Three and half relationships change as long as it's funny.   Thus far, Shamy is fine, L&P are getting back on track,  H&B is meh, and Raj is still very underdeveloped.

• Like 2