Episodes Are Too Short!

40 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the episode length?

• Just the right length.
    • It is short, but it does not bother me.
    • Yes I think it is bit short
    • Very short! I need more! ... say at least 30 minutes?

The episodes really are getting shorter they range from 19 - 22 minutes. I find my self thinking was that it! I watch it on CBS website, and if you have been on there then you know they throw a load of adverts in every 5 minutes so then I really do feel ..what actually happened in this episode.. where did the time go!

I just think they need to be longer, normally a tv show is at least 28-30 minutes, just imagine how much stuff they could get in, in that time. Unless it is timed this way so it does not clash with another show.. but still *huff* :( not enough.

Do you feel that TBBT episodes are a bit short?

Edited by LoveShamy

Yeah some episodes are really short. I sometimes wish they would be longer. But an episode of a comedy series is always about 20 minutes long. (I know that from FRIENDS and also from Sabrina the teenage Witch and from Married with Children and from ALF)

Edited by BlackWhiteRose

It always has to do with advertising minutes. Every half-hour show has to allow for ad time, so it's never going to be an actual 30 minutes. If you plop in any of your DVDs, pretty much all episodes are going to hit that 20 minute mark.

And hour long show is usually only about 45 minutes because of time for ads.

I do wish it could be an hour, but then the comedy "beats" would be completely different.

I do think they should dump 2a1/2M, though, but just on general principles. That show kind of sucks.

Edited by phantagrae

Yes! way too short! It sucks I want it to be a whole hour. Most of tv shows I watch are an hour long now. I know its a sitcom so they are usually only half hour format, but come on BBT is too funny and too many good characters if they had more time they could really develop them all more and give them funnier storylines. I always feel like I'm just getting into the episode and then its over :( I know they probably will never change the time its just how sitcoms are nowadays and all networks care about is their stupid advertisers, but I still wish it was longer. Thank God for Fanfiction and for my DVR. I use it to rewind each scene several times so it fills up a whole hour and makes episode last longer for me.

• Like 1

I think maybe that the reason it feels so short is that we're all having a good time. Makes time fly. Plus you should always leave wanting more. :)

But it would be fun if they could explore the storylines and character arcs a little more. I think that would enable them to work with some of the secondary story lines a little more while still having the main story going on.

But hour-long comedies are almost non-existent, I think.

Are they shorter because we would like to see more than half an hour ... or because in truth they are doing them shorter, to put advertisements in commercial breaks? :question:

The show should have gone to an hour long a LONG time ago!

TVs #1 Comedy and it's only 20 minutes long? Yeah, because with commercials it is only 20 minutes. At least if they went to a full hour timeslot they would have about 45 minutes of show which would be better.

I think a lot of the problems in the show happen because they have to wrap up a story in 20 minutes so that's why there are a lot of stupid endings and unresolved endings to the show because they don't have time.

Just go to 1 hour. That way they can either have storyline that runs through the 45 minutes or they could have two mostly unrelated storylines (like they have now, episode by episode) but they would be able to tie up loose ends into the start of the second half of the show instead of rushing it.

CBS is 110% insane for still having Two and a Half Men on the air and taking up the other 30 minutes after TBBT.

Modern Family is an hour long comedy. Maybe thats partially why they beat BBT for Emmy again even though I've never watch MF I'm sure they have more time to develop their storylines on that show with all that extra time.

And Modern Family isn't taped live, is it? I never watch it, so I don't know. They also have a bigger cast, so it does make sense to have it run an hour.

Are they shorter because we would like to see more than half an hour ... or because in truth they are doing them shorter, to put advertisements in commercial breaks? :question:

I think that the length of a broadcast for any TV show is pretty much set. The bigger a hit the show is, the more money they can charge for advertising slots, so they don't have to put in more of them.

I do think that there are probably more commercials nowadays than there were 20 years ago, but otherwise it's pretty standard across the board, just like more or less when those commercials fall in the show.

It's part of what dictates the pace of the show--the intro, each act, and the epilogue. Of course, I don't know what came first--the episode structure or the advertising slots. :p

I'm not really sure, they all vary a tiny bit. Sometimes you'll see something like 19:20 and then you'll see 20:56 and whatever. It really all just comes down to the seconds. It doesn't seem like it, but a sitcom can do a lot of things in a single minute, plus a good episode will just fly by because you're enjoying yourself.

I noticed in the thread for 6.3 that everyone said they were having a great time watching it. Perhaps it's a combination.

21 minutes is pretty much the industry standard when it comes to commercial tv sit-coms.

The Brits do it a little bit different, allowing many shows to run around the 38 minute mark (Fawlty Towers and Mrs Browns Boys being two examples)

The writers of BBT inject enough humour into their 21 minutes for me and anything longer runs the risk of adding "filler" which may or may not contain any humour at all.

Edited by netmouse

I think maybe that the reason it feels so short is that we're all having a good time. Makes time fly. Plus you should always leave wanting more. :)

But it would be fun if they could explore the storylines and character arcs a little more. I think that would enable them to work with some of the secondary story lines a little more while still having the main story going on.

But hour-long comedies are almost non-existent, I think.

I think they should leave you wanting more but not the point where it leaves unsatisfied. Bring on more! :) at least 25 min and then 5 min for advert. :p

I think I would be happy if it were 30 minutes, but not 1 hour (that might drag things out too much). This last episode was just 19 minutes, in fact (I know since I watched it online).

But is there a way to achieve 30 minutes + advertisements? I think the slots are either 30 minutes or 1 hour, with 10 minutes being taken up by ads?

I think I would be happy if it were 30 minutes, but not 1 hour (that might drag things out too much). This last episode was just 19 minutes, in fact (I know since I watched it online).

But is there a way to achieve 30 minutes + advertisements? I think the slots are either 30 minutes or 1 hour, with 10 minutes being taken up by ads?

If you want to have 30 minutes of commercials inbetween 30 minutes of show then sure, you could have 30 minutes of TBBT.

But that would suck.

No, what would be better is a full hour timeslot.. that would mean about 42 - 45 minutes of show time. It would help the writers not have to rush storylines and wrap them up in one episode which is why a lot of the characters and jokes feel un-natural and forced.

If you want to have 30 minutes of commercials inbetween 30 minutes of show then sure, you could have 30 minutes of TBBT.

But that would suck.

No, what would be better is a full hour timeslot.. that would mean about 42 - 45 minutes of show time. It would help the writers not have to rush storylines and wrap them up in one episode which is why a lot of the characters and jokes feel un-natural and forced.

I agree, that's what I meant. Well, actually it wouldn't matter to me because I watch it online anyway, but it would certainly irk those who watch on television to have 30 minutes of ads!

Having 45 minutes might be nice.. I can't say for sure. Certainly it would make the pace more leisurely and make it easier to build up storylines, but the comedic timing and pacing may be affected somewhat, too. So it's hard to say without actually seeing a 45-minute episode whether the effect will be entirely for the good.

A one hour show (which is really 42 minutes running time at most in the US) would not work for the sitcom format. Self contained, short episodes sell better in syndication.

I agree that the episodes are too short. In the last 2 seasons, most of the episodes have been less 20 minutes long. We are lucky when we get 21 minutes. Sadly, the more $$$ advertisers are willing to pay to run commercials during BBT, the less show content we're likely to get.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if a-they were 22 minutes long consistently (as they should be) and/or b-they were better paced and the plots had better resolutions. Usually, the episodes that work best are the ones that have one plot because everyone gets to participate and the story doesn't feel rushed. When they do multiple plots, one or more are bound to feel rushed or unresolved by the end of the episode. Not every episode can be an ensemble episode but the writers are doing their best to utilize every character, so something's gotta give.