The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LoveShamy

Episodes Are Too Short!

40 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the episode length?

• Just the right length.
    • It is short, but it does not bother me.
    • Yes I think it is bit short
    • Very short! I need more! ... say at least 30 minutes?

And Modern Family isn't taped live, is it? I never watch it, so I don't know. They also have a bigger cast, so it does make sense to have it run an hour.

No, MF not taped live, but SNL is taped live and its a comedy too, its also at least 45 mins long. There have been other hour long comedies that taped live in past, but that was back in the day when they had more late night variety shows and taped live comedy hours like Lucy Desi Comedy hour for example. But those were all back when there were very few channels to watch and cable didn't exist.

Edited by Superlovelexi

No, MF not taped live, but SNL is taped live and its a comedy too, its also at least 45 mins long. There have been other hour long comedies that taped live in past, but that was back in the day when they had more late night variety shows and taped live comedy hours like Lucy Desi Comedy hour for example. But those were all back when there were very few channels to watch and cable didn't exist.

But SNL is a sketch/variety show where the hour is broken up with several short skits and musical performances. That's not the same as a sit-com.

I have no problem with the ongoing 1/2-hour format.

Funny thing is that back in the 80's. Half hour shows actually ran between 24-26 minutes with only 4-6 minutes of commercial interuption. Now we're down to 20 minutes.

I wouldn't worry about losing more minutes of the this show or any other half hour program at this point. The reason being is that limiting the amount of time commercials air during a popular program that has a lot of viewers allows the network to artifically inflate the value of those time spots which constitute a commercial break. The artificial increase in value makes it easier for the networks to charge more for those 30 second to 1 minute spots. Decreasing the shows time alottment, while it may increase the amount of commercials it can air during, it also devalues the exclusivity of those time spots since there are more to be filled and the network can't charge as much for those spots and therefore ad revenue goes down as a result.

I think the last episode is a perfect example of why they need to do something about how much storyline they can do in 20-21 minutes. Putting the Halloween party/planning, Howard's problems and then then a L/P relationship story into one episode was a little tool much. To do it makes the writers ignore a lot of funny situations because they don't have enough time. As the example, the smurf scenes where great and they could have got a bunch more laughs out of it. I think there was enough story in last nights episode for two episodes.

the recent episodes feels short for me because there are more characters now. I saw more of the Penny-Leonard-Sheldon scenes or the 5 characters in Seasons 1-3, with the the other two, Raj and Howard giving supporting roles and guest actors just coming in and out making it more interesting. Even if there are 2 story arcs in one episode, the content of the scenes are more stretched out.

In a good way because TBBT is growing in popularity there are more ad breaks but maybe the downside to that is shorter running time(?) I guess and again we have more characters now (ex. writers have to play around the Sheldon-Amy, Penny-Leonard, Howard-Bernie, Raj-Stuart, or Sheldon-Leonard, Sheldon-Leonard-Penny, Sheldon-Penny, Penny-Bernie-Amy story arcs) so each storyline scenes becomes less.

• Like 1

I agree with the idea of 30 minutes.

And what about a film?? what do you think about this? I am asking because in some sites people is very enthusiastic with this idea....

A film would pretty much ruin the whole "plot" we are experiencing, unless they make a film, like a very long episode.

A film that could consist of four or three seperate stories, where both L/P, Shamy and H/B/(Raj)/(Stuart) did something for let's say a weekend.

My son, my wife and I happen to mention this a few weeks ago. The show just seems to end so fast. I wish it were an hour show, or here's an idea, 45 minutes (including commercials) and the producers half a 15 minute short series (or rotating series) that may or may not have anything to do with TBBT. A new concept in programming! :)

I think the last show (5x06) gave us a classic Big Bang episode, more scenes from the boys with Sheldon & Stephen Hawking making story A and Penny going back to school as the B story (w/ Amy and Bernie giving supporting roles) so it doesn't feel too short. This formula reminds me of the FRIENDS series, stories just revolved around the 6 chracters and guest actors would come in and out to make it more interesting

The episodes become even shorter when you fast forward past all the relationship crap so-called-comedy story lines.

The few glimpses of past comedic glory (just the guys interacting) is becoming a rarity on the show.

We are now over-shadowed by nagging women imposing relationship issues on the guys.

I really hate what this once-great show has devolved into.

I'm going to ride it out a few more episodes and if I cannot stomach it any more, the rest of you who like the new format can "have" it - as I'll be done with it.

That shark has long since been jumped.

The episodes become even shorter when you fast forward past all the relationship crap so-called-comedy story lines.

The few glimpses of past comedic glory (just the guys interacting) is becoming a rarity on the show.

We are now over-shadowed by nagging women imposing relationship issues on the guys.

I really hate what this once-great show has devolved into.

I'm going to ride it out a few more episodes and if I cannot stomach it any more, the rest of you who like the new format can "have" it - as I'll be done with it.

That shark has long since been jumped.

I must agree, the show became more "soft" with lot of relationships, maybe for atracting more people? The first time I found this program (I never had listened about it before) was an episode of 2 season. Immediately I fell in love with these guys! I didn´t know they are so famous and I didn´t mind either. It is very difficult for me to like in this way a TV program. Nowadays, still I am watching them and waiting for each episode of 6 season only because I support them very much. The only part atract me now is Sheldon- Amy reationship.

Edited by Lissie

I especially think the episodes are too short especially considering that I first started watching the show earlier this year and saw all of the first 4 and a half seasons within a two week period, watching about 10 episodes a day, one after another with no commercial interruptions.

The show is a little short and I wouldn't mind it being at least 30 minutes, because it all seems to happen so fast, but I know they have to make times for ads.

Which is why I hate ads. There are just too many of them. I know they're needed, but still...

Love,

Vienna

Edited by VaVaVienna
  • Like 1

Hi there. Late comment about short shows, but I watched the Australian broadcast version of The HIggs Boson Observation, then later the iTunes version, and the broadcast version had the last bit of dialogue from Sheldon to Penny (after "blonde monkey") trimmed from the cold open. That's got be wrong. Has anyone seen that sort of edit happen before?

The episodes are too short as it is. Formal protest... And informal protest.

• Like 1

Hi there. Late comment about short shows, but I watched the Australian broadcast version of The HIggs Boson Observation, then later the iTunes version, and the broadcast version had the last bit of dialogue from Sheldon to Penny (after "blonde monkey") trimmed from the cold open. That's got be wrong. Has anyone seen that sort of edit happen before?

The episodes are too short as it is. Formal protest... And informal protest.

Denied! Only joking :p I have the box set and some of the episodes are slightly different to the tv versions. For example they might say something that is a bit rude so they will cut this out for broadcast viewings but it is still their when you purchase dvd or itune version.

Lets have a long movie, to make up for short episodes. The movie could co-star Stephen Hawkin, Buzz Aldrin, Leonard Nimoy, Stan Lee, Albert Einstein's brain and the Joker.

i wish they had done what most half hour time slot shows do and thats having hour long season finale or premiers... that would have nice

For one thing, it is not even 20 minutes, there is a huge audience giggling, laughing and hooting throughout the show and the characters take pauses during almost every laugh by simply making an expression. The true length of the show would be about 15 minutes, but as a fan, I really want to see more! I wouldn't go for removing the audience but they could increase the running time of the show.

• Like 1

It would be so great if they actually gave us a one hour episode at season beginning or end or for a holiday.  Other shows have done that.  They could put a to be continued when they do reruns.