The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve

Location of their apartment building

Too much time on our hands? Naw :)

I've been working on the Wiki here on the site for a couple of years. I am always frustrated by the LACK of enough time on my hands. If you check out the season 4 entries, you'll see what I mean. If any of you have the urge to spend a little time playing around in the wonderful world of Leonard, Sheldon, and the gang, feel free to come on by the wiki and help out. There are always SO many details to add, and I'm way behind on adding them.

If you don't have the time or the inkling to edit, no problem. But by all means drop in and just read for awhile. I think you'll find the wiki to be a lot of fun to peruse.

Steve

The wiki

Hey All, I'm on a business trip in Pasadena and had a half hour before dinner, so I took the attached picture - based on the excellent work done by Gino. It does show the building he identified, as well as City Hall and, I believe, the correct mountain in the background. The sun was in about the worst possible place for this, but I hope you can see the relevant features anyway.

Cheers!

post-2410-134808097022_thumb.jpg

Hey All, I'm on a business trip in Pasadena and had a half hour before dinner, so I took the attached picture - based on the excellent work done by Gino. It does show the building he identified, as well as City Hall and, I believe, the correct mountain in the background. The sun was in about the worst possible place for this, but I hope you can see the relevant features anyway.

Cheers!

Oh, this is gold !!! Well done /clap

The thing is it's not real because if you go on wiki you will find the location(s)

And it say Warner Bros Studio 25.

But you can continue searching if you want :)

The thing is it's not real because if you go on wiki you will find the location(s)

And it say Warner Bros Studio 25.

But you can continue searching if you want :)

WHAAAAT ???? The Internet LIED TO ME ????? lolz

On a sort of tangential topic. I have wondered for years........

How are house numbers derived in the US. House numbers always seem to be in the thousands.

In Australia houses/building street numbers are almost always much smaller. A street has one end designated as the "zero" end and all houses on one side are numbered with even numbers 2,4,6,8 etc and the opposite side of the street odd numbers1,3,5 etc Average streets have numbers up to about a hundred or less. It would have to be a very long, long street here to get up to the 1000's, let alone 2311.

How do you number them in the US to get house numbers of multiple thousands being the norm?

That is odd. If I were in charge of numbering houses, they would go in sequence of Fibonacci numbers.

Cheers!

Excellent work, Gino and mattsc! The view of the City Hall dome out of Leonard and Sheldon's window has captivated me, too, as I work just 1 block east of it! Mattsc, your photo is south west of City Hall- can you please tell me more about where you took your photo? Were you on a rooftop? Was it easy to get to?

trickortreat: I forgot to look at the exact address when I was there (doh!), but it was on a south side of Colorado, somewhere around El Molino or Oak Knoll. A 5-story apartment or condominium building that was open with no "residents only" signs, so it was legal, no sneaking around security or anything involved ;) . The top floor hallway is open to the west, which is where I took the photo from. There are a couple buildings even higher a block or two east on Colorado, but they didn't look like you were supposed to go to the top floor (banks or insurances or something). I really didn't search around much, that's the only place I tried.

trickortreat: I forgot to look at the exact address when I was there (doh!), but it was on a south side of Colorado, somewhere around El Molino or Oak Knoll. A 5-story apartment or condominium building that was open with no "residents only" signs, so it was legal, no sneaking around security or anything involved ;) . The top floor hallway is open to the west, which is where I took the photo from. There are a couple buildings even higher a block or two east on Colorado, but they didn't look like you were supposed to go to the top floor (banks or insurances or something). I really didn't search around much, that's the only place I tried.

Hey guys, I'm so happy that even i'm no being there, my information has been useful to you, it was shocking to see the photo you took mattsc, exactly as I imagined. thanks a lot!!!

Greetings from Argentina!!

I'm sure it's Brookmore Apartments at 189 N. Marengo Ave (www.brookmoreapts.com). It's a 1920s apartment building a block and a half from city hall. It's near Caltech and the Cheesecake Factory and Euclid is one of the streets you can take to get from there to Caltech. I lived in the building for two years and the inside looks like the exact replica of the Big Bang Theory apartments. Exposed brick, stairwell looping around the elevator, very similar front doors as the show. And the Brookmore Apartments elevator was always broken. Even the laundry room looks the same. A number of Caltech and JPL physicists live there as well as more than one aspiring actress.

Hmm... The Brookmore Apartments were one of the first places I considered, when trying to guess where the apartment might be. You're spot on about the stairs and elevator. I remember delivering pizzas there in the eighties. It was run down, and the halls were lined with addicts, prostitutes, and their dealers and pimps. The renaissance of old Pasadena had changed it by the late nineties, when I started working as a locksmith and made frequent appearances there to open locked doors for people who were better at rocket science than at keeping track of their keys. It was an odd mix, mostly students from Art Center College of Design, Cal Tech, and Fuller Seminary. Artists, geeks, and bible students. I felt right at home, having never quite fit with the regular crowd. It's amazing how much the place has improved, though the elevator was indeed not working when last I was there.

The view from the windows of the Brookmore wouldn't fit with what we see in the show. The four level parking structure across the street wouldn't afford as complete a view of city hall, and the only building which would be visible to the right of the city hall dome, the old YMCA, doesn't have the tile roof or the right rows of windows. Neither is there a mountain range to the southeast of the Brookmore. Also, Penny's apartment would not have in view any of the green steel roofing that is seen from her windows. All that being said, I think the Brookmore is the right answer. I'm guessing the views of the outside world were mocked up to replace the lackluster immediate surroundings with appropriate images from nearby. What do you think? I'm going to make the short pilgrimage there, and see if I can't snap a photo or two from an upstairs window, just to see how right I am, or not...

Frankly, I am not so sure about the Brookmore as being the inspiration for the interior of the apartment building. I'm just going to ignore the fact that the location of the Brookmore is on the wrong side of things regarding the view from the window, being on the west side of city hall instead of on the east side.

I dropped by the Brookmore the other day to check out these claims.

brookmore_apartments_in_old_town_pasadena_94853185487139555.jpg

There is a lock on the front door, and it was late when I stopped by, so I decided not to use the "press all the buttons" trick to get in that the girl scouts use in the first episode to get into Penny's ex-boyfriend's apartment building. Anyway, I took this picture of the lobby of the Brookmore as it looks today:

post-3954-134808097536_thumb.jpg

In comparison to the lobby of TBBT's apartment building (from the Tangerine Factor), the Brookmore's lobby really doesn't look anything like it to my eye. Besides, the show's apartment building looks like relatively new construction, and not 1920's-era construction, exposed brick notwithstanding, because that sort of Old-Town Chic decor is fashionable in Pasadena nowadays. The front door is not similar. I have no idea about the stairs and elevator. Assuming the stairs I could see lead up to the first level of apartments, the stairs don't look the same. The building does have an elevator, but I saw no evidence of it. I can't tell you what the rest of the Brookmore looks like inside, however.

post-3954-134808097545_thumb.jpg

post-3954-134808097552_thumb.jpg

post-3954-134808097557_thumb.jpg

post-3954-134808097563_thumb.jpg

Also, Euclid is in no way a convenient street to take to Cal-Tech, as it dead-ends at Colorado in front of Paseo Mall, and doesn't pick up again for all intents and purposes until Cordova. (In reality, it would probably be fastest to take the 210 freeway Marengo onramp, exit Hill and proceed south.)

Ha! I just found this forum (didn't really look for it before this). I work in Pasadena on the corner of Los Robles and Cordova and have always wondered where you would have to be to see the view out the window. I see now that the question has been (almost) resolved.

Cheers!

This is really close! Great job! I'm going to walk down to that part of Colorado Blvd and see if I can narrow it down even further. By comparing your photo with the view from their apartment window I suspect the correct vantage point will be a little bit further east on Colorado Blvd and much higher up above the street. My first guess is they took it from one of the upper floors of one of the bank buildings you mentioned. I am also pretty sure the picture used for the apartment view must have been taken with a telephoto lens because it has that 'compressed' look to it.

Jim

Ok, I believe I have found the exact location where the photo for their apartment view was taken and as I suspected, it was taken with a telephoto lens. It was taken on the top level of the Community Bank parking ramp located at the NW corner of Green St and Hudson Ave. I'll post the photos tonight. As a bonus I believe I have found the green metal roof you see outside of Penny's apartment. What's cool is you see them from the same location.

Jim

Ok, I believe I have found the exact location where the photo for their apartment view was taken and as I suspected, it was taken with a telephoto lens. It was taken on the top level of the Community Bank parking ramp located at the NW corner of Green St and Hudson Ave. I'll post the photos tonight. As a bonus I believe I have found the green metal roof you see outside of Penny's apartment. What's cool is you see them from the same location.

Jim

That's some pretty cool ingenious work. I'm looking forward to see the photos. This thread reminds me of the Panty Piñata Polarization.

Ok, here we go. First, here is the photo Mattsc posted:

theapartment.jpg

We can see this is close, but not exactly right. There is too much space between the dome of the city hall and the red roofed building to the right. Also, the angle is not quite right. The mountain in the background needs to pass directly behind the spire on top of the dome. To do this we need to be higher up off the ground. Get get the two building closer together we need to be at a shallower angle.

Before I can find the exact location I needed to first find the red roofed building. Here it is looking eastward:

http://imageshack.us/f/221/20120412120746823.jpg/

Here it is looking westward in the general direction of City Hall, but from street level:

http://imageshack.us/f/859/20120412121120763.jpg/

Here was my guess at the apartment building from which Mattsc took his photo:

http://imageshack.us/f/259/20120412121405314.jpg/

And turns out I'm right. Here is the same vantage point where Mattsc took his photo:

http://imageshack.us/f/16/20120412122013295.jpg/

As you can see, the angles are not quite right. Need to get higher up and further back. This is what's further down Colorado Blvd:

http://imageshack.us/f/853/20120412121631157.jpg/

See that balcony up near the top floor. It would sure be nice to see the view from there! Turns out it was easy. I simply entered Community Bank, walked passed the security guard like I like I knew where I was going and rode the elevator to the top floor. I actually expected to come out of the elevator and be confronted by a closed office door like in my office building but in fact the elevator door opens onto a foyer and to the left is a receptionist's desk. She looked up at me with a questioning look so I simply said 'Can I take a picture from you window? I saw your balcony...' She said sure, just not in here (meaning not within the office). She showed me to the door to the balcony and this is the view from there:

http://imageshack.us/f/715/2012041212302144.jpg/

As you can see, I'm now *too* high up and I've got the angle all wrong. I need to get lower, but not as low at the apartments I was in a few minutes ago, and I need to move southward to correct the angle. As I was exiting the Community Bank building I saw there was a parking garage attached to it just south of it. Hmm, has potential. Fortunately the parking ramp is publicly accessible so I walked up the stairs to the top floor and this is the view I saw:

http://imageshack.us/f/714/20120412123501119.jpg/

Eureka! This is where the photo for the BBT apartment was taken! These next two shot are the same photo just zoomed in and then cropped:

http://imageshack.us/f/204/20120412123501119copy1.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/190/20120412123501119copy2.jpg/

Compare the cropped photo with the view from the window. It is basically the same except for the church bell tower has been digitally removed. I at first wondered if the bell tower might have been built since the show started so I looked it up. It's the bell tower for the Pasadena Presbyterian Church and it was build in the 70s. Therefore, it must have been digitally removed from the photo used as the view from the window.

Ok, now for the bonus! Take another look at the first photo from the top of the parking ramp. Notice the green metal roof on the building in the foreground. That the same metal roof you see from Penny's apartment window:

Apartment_4B.jpg

I don't have a photo showing the exact angle from her apartment but here is a close up view of a part of the metal roof:

http://imageshack.us/f/845/20120412122149746.jpg/

This is the roof of the apartment building where Mattsc and I took the 'almost, but not quite there' photo. Here's another shot from the top of the Community Bank parking ramp from a slightly different angle that shows more of the green roof:

http://imageshack.us/f/85/20120412123648155.jpg/

And lastly, I wanted to get a shot looking down onto the parking ramp from yet another office building further east. To do that I would need to get to the top floor of the Pasadena Towers building on the corner of Green St and Lake Ave. This was another case where I simply walked past the security guard like I knew where I was going and rode the elevator up to the top floor. Turns out the west half of the top floor is unfinished:

http://imageshack.us/f/824/20120412132301122.jpg/

Here's the photo I wanted to get. It shows the top level of the Community Bank parking ramp, plus the green-roofed apartment building just beyond that, and in the distance you can see the red roofed building:

http://imageshack.us/f/192/20120412132156323.jpg/

To summarize, the photo used for the view outside Sheldon and Leonard's apartment was taken with a zoom lens from the top level of the Community Bank parking ramp which is located on the NW corner of Green St and Hudson Ave.

However, as other's have already determined, the apartment is *supposed* to be on Los Robles just a block east-ish from City Hall which would put it about a block north of the corner of Los Robles and Colorado Blvd. Here is the corner of Los Robles and Colorado Blvd:

http://imageshack.us/f/254/20120412120555642.jpg/

The building you see is the Western Assets building. I have no idea what is inside. I walked around part of it but it's not a normal office building with a foyer and security guard so I didn't go in it. If you go a block north of here you get to the corner of Los Robles and Union street. If you walk part of the way west on Union then look back at the Western Assets building you see these windows:

http://imageshack.us/f/9/20120412160544853.jpg/

These windows will have the closest analogue to the view from Sheldon's and Leonard's apartment. They would see a close up view of the City Hall dome and there is even a red roofed building just off to the right. In some alternate universe, the building they live in would be here and this is where their windows would be.

And lastly, here's the view from City Hall looking at where their apartment would be. I couldn't get into the dome as it was closed off but I was able to get to a third floor window that looks east. The red roofed building you see in the distance is the one you see from their apartment window. The red roofed building you see in the foreground on the right is the red-roofed building the residents of the Western Assets building would see if they look west-north-west out of the windows shown in the photo above.

http://imageshack.us/f/10/2012041215540755.jpg/

And just for the heck of it, here's City Hall:

http://imageshack.us/f/708/20120412155005946.jpg/

Jim

Ok, here we go. First, here is the photo Mattsc posted:

theapartment.jpg

We can see this is close, but not exactly right. There is too much space between the dome of the city hall and the red roofed building to the right. Also, the angle is not quite right. The mountain in the background needs to pass directly behind the spire on top of the dome. To do this we need to be higher up off the ground. Get get the two building closer together we need to be at a shallower angle.

Before I can find the exact location I needed to first find the red roofed building. Here it is looking eastward:

http://imageshack.us/f/221/20120412120746823.jpg/

Here it is looking westward in the general direction of City Hall, but from street level:

http://imageshack.us/f/859/20120412121120763.jpg/

Here was my guess at the apartment building from which Mattsc took his photo:

http://imageshack.us/f/259/20120412121405314.jpg/

And turns out I'm right. Here is the same vantage point where Mattsc took his photo:

http://imageshack.us/f/16/20120412122013295.jpg/

As you can see, the angles are not quite right. Need to get higher up and further back. This is what's further down Colorado Blvd:

http://imageshack.us/f/853/20120412121631157.jpg/

See that balcony up near the top floor. It would sure be nice to see the view from there! Turns out it was easy. I simply entered Community Bank, walked passed the security guard like I like I knew where I was going and rode the elevator to the top floor. I actually expected to come out of the elevator and be confronted by a closed office door like in my office building but in fact the elevator door opens onto a foyer and to the left is a receptionist's desk. She looked up at me with a questioning look so I simply said 'Can I take a picture from you window? I saw your balcony...' She said sure, just not in here (meaning not within the office). She showed me to the door to the balcony and this is the view from there:

http://imageshack.us/f/715/2012041212302144.jpg/

As you can see, I'm now *too* high up and I've got the angle all wrong. I need to get lower, but not as low at the apartments I was in a few minutes ago, and I need to move southward to correct the angle. As I was exiting the Community Bank building I saw there was a parking garage attached to it just south of it. Hmm, has potential. Fortunately the parking ramp is publicly accessible so I walked up the stairs to the top floor and this is the view I saw:

http://imageshack.us/f/714/20120412123501119.jpg/

Eureka! This is where the photo for the BBT apartment was taken! These next two shot are the same photo just zoomed in and then cropped:

http://imageshack.us/f/204/20120412123501119copy1.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/190/20120412123501119copy2.jpg/

Compare the cropped photo with the view from the window. It is basically the same except for the church bell tower has been digitally removed. I at first wondered if the bell tower might have been built since the show started so I looked it up. It's the bell tower for the Pasadena Presbyterian Church and it was build in the 70s. Therefore, it must have been digitally removed from the photo used as the view from the window.

Ok, now for the bonus! Take another look at the first photo from the top of the parking ramp. Notice the green metal roof on the building in the foreground. That the same metal roof you see from Penny's apartment window:

Apartment_4B.jpg

I don't have a photo showing the exact angle from her apartment but here is a close up view of a part of the metal roof:

http://imageshack.us/f/845/20120412122149746.jpg/

This is the roof of the apartment building where Mattsc and I took the 'almost, but not quite there' photo. Here's another shot from the top of the Community Bank parking ramp from a slightly different angle that shows more of the green roof:

http://imageshack.us/f/85/20120412123648155.jpg/

And lastly, I wanted to get a shot looking down onto the parking ramp from yet another office building further east. To do that I would need to get to the top floor of the Pasadena Towers building on the corner of Green St and Lake Street. This was another case where I simply walked past the security guard like I knew where I was going and rode the elevator up to the top floor. Turns out the west half of the top floor is unfinished:

http://imageshack.us/f/824/20120412132301122.jpg/

Here's the photo I wanted to get. It shows the top level of the Community Bank parking ramp, plus the green-roofed apartment building just beyond that, and in the distance you can see the red roofed building:

http://imageshack.us/f/192/20120412132156323.jpg/

To summarize, the photo used for the view outside Sheldon and Leonard's apartment was taken with a zoom lens from the top level of the Community Bank parking ramp which is located on the NW corner of Green St and Hudson Ave.

However, as other's have already determined, the apartment is *supposed* to be on Los Robles just a block east-ish from City Hall which would put it about a block north of the corner of Los Robles and Colorado Blvd. Here is the corner of Los Robles and Colorado Blvd:

http://imageshack.us/f/254/20120412120555642.jpg/

The building you see is the Western Assets building. I have no idea what is inside. I walked around part of it but it's not a normal office building with a foyer and security guard so I didn't go in it. If you go a block north of here you get to the corner of Los Robles and Union street. If you walk part of the way west on Union then look back at the Western Assets building you see these windows:

http://imageshack.us/f/9/20120412160544853.jpg/

These windows will have the closest analogue to the view from Sheldon's and Leonard's apartment. They would see a close up view of the City Hall dome and there is even a red roofed building just off to the right. In some alternate universe, the building they live in would be here and this is where their windows would be.

And lastly, here's the view from City Hall looking at where their apartment would be. I couldn't get into the dome as it was closed off but I was able to get to a third floor window that looks east. The red roofed building you see in the distance is the one you see from their apartment window. The red roofed building you see in the foreground on the right is the red-roofed building the residents of the Western Assets building would see if they look west-north-west out of the windows shown in the photo above.

http://imageshack.us/f/10/2012041215540755.jpg/

And just for the heck of it, here's City Hall:

http://imageshack.us/f/708/20120412155005946.jpg/

Jim

That looked like lots of time and effort you put into that Jim. Great photos! Thanks. After all that I hope you at least treated yourself to a meal at the Cheesecake Factory.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

wow those are so great!! amazing job Jim and thanks for sharing it with us!!!!!

This is so cool. I know the show isn't real, but for some reason I now feel like I have a better vision of where they live.