Location of their apartment building

Steve

Thanks everyone! It was a fun project to try to find the location where the photo was taken. I've attached an annotated Google map of the buildings I described.

The Orange line is the line of sight that places the City Hall dome in front of the right part of the background mountain. This line must pass through the BBT apartment in order for their window to have the Dome/mountain orientation we see. Furthermore, as Mattsc's TV screen grab shows, the line must pass through the living room at an angle, not straight through, because the screen grab shows the view out the window from the perspective of someone looking diagonally across the length of the living room. That means the building entrance can't be square with Los Robles. The red square shows my guess at the required orientation of the building. I should have made the red square a bigger so the building came closer to Los Robles. As drawn it would probably have a Union St address rather than a Los Robles address. However, I added the notes and lines using MS Paint and once a line is there you can't edit it (not that I know of).

post-5578-134808097629_thumb.jpg

Jim

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looked like lots of time and effort you put into that Jim. Great photos! Thanks. After all that I hope you at least treated yourself to a meal at the Cheesecake Factory.

Thanks! It's funny, I've walked past that Cheesecake Factory numerous times but I've never eaten there. If it wasn't raining today I'd walk down there for lunch today. I should check and see if the rain has stopped. If it has I'll go down and check it out and take a couple of pictures.

Jim

Next week, weather permitting, I will try to find the location where the photo for the view outside Penny's window was taken. I have a theory that it was taken from a different parking ramp on the corner of Del Mar and S. Hudson St looking much more NWN rather than WNW like the view for Leonard's/Sheldon's window. I think the building that looks like parking ramp in the back right is actually the Chiropractic Health Center on N. El Molino Ave between Union and Walnut streets. We'll see.

Jim

I found the location where the view for Penny's window was photographed. I was making it more complicated that I should have. I guessed correctly that the building we see to the right of the green metal roof is the Chiropractic Heath Center building but the shot was taken from the exact (or nearly so) same spot as the shot for Leonard and Sheldon's view (i.e. from the top of the Community Bank parking ramp. It looks like the photographer simply rotated his/her camera about 30 degrees to the right and took another shot and used that for the view from Penny's window. I'll post the pictures tonight.

Jim

Here are the pictures. I first went to the other parking ramp on the corner of Hudson and Del Mar but that was clearly not the correct place. I took a picture from there but it's not worth posting it. I then thought for a moment what I would do if I was tasked with taking the photos for the window views and realized I would have taken both from the same spot. I went back to the Community Bank parking ramp to see if I was right. Turns out it was a good guess. Here's the view looking more North towards the mountains. In the center of the photo you can see the building that looks like a parking ramp but is really the Chiropractic Heath Center building with some trees in front and behind it.

http://imageshack.us/f/823/2012041712443453crop1.jpg/

When you zoom into the center of the photo and crop it you get the following (Sorry for the grainy photo. I took the picture with my cell phone and it didn't blow up very well):

http://imageshack.us/f/710/sview.jpg/

Here is the screenshot of the view outside Penny's window.

Apartment_4B.jpg

To summarize, the photo for the view outside Penny's window was taken from the same location as the photo for the view outside Leonard and Sheldon's window (top of the Community Bank parking ramp), only pointing more North rather than West.

Jim

Here are the pictures. I first went to the other parking ramp on the corner of Hudson and Del Mar but that was clearly not the correct place. I took a picture from there but it's not worth posting it. I then thought for a moment what I would do if I was tasked with taking the photos for the window views and realized I would have taken both from the same spot. I went back to the Community Bank parking ramp to see if I was right. Turns out it was a good guess. Here's the view looking more North towards the mountains. In the center of the photo you can see the building that looks like a parking ramp but is really the Chiropractic Heath Center building with some trees in front and behind it.

When you zoom into the center of the photo and crop it you get the following (Sorry for the grainy photo. I took the picture with my cell phone and it didn't blow up very well):

Apartment_4B.jpg

To summarize, the photo for the view outside Penny's window was taken from the same location as the photo for the view outside Leonard and Sheldon's window (top of the Community Bank parking ramp), only pointing more North rather than West.

Jim

ey i've just reach to this forum!

Thank you very very much Jim for your pictures. I'm from Spain and i've been thinking for a long time to go to Pasadena just for imagine where their apartment supposed to be located. You are simply awesome buddy!

Thanks again!

P.S. i'd really appreciate that anybody living in Pasadena could take any pictures from the Cheesecake factory!

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the season 5 finale. At the end they show the roof of the building and then pan up into space. I found that location on Google maps. The rooftop we actually see in not real. The building that is actually at that location has a different roof. Also, it's not on Los Robles, so whatever. The location that they start zooming out from is at the south west corner of Cordova and Madison Ave in Pasadena. Here's a Google Maps link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=pasadena+city+college&ll=34.142145,-118.138309&spn=0.001881,0.002832&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&hq=pasadena+city+college&hnear=pasadena+city+college&cid=0,0,6769089712747176799&t=h&z=19

Another thing I noticed is that they actually spliced together different sections of Pasadena into a composite map that does not resemble reality at all. For example, there is a section that contains the Pasadena City College football field northwest of the location of the build. In reality that football field is east of that location. There is another section directly to the west of the building location that looks like part of the parking lots behind a group of restaurants on Lave Ave. Oh well. At least they were zooming up from Pasadena. I recognize the major highways you can see once they get to cloud level.

Jim

I traced the wallowitz wedding on the apartment roof (the zoomed google earth shot of the wedding) to the following apartment building:

34.142225 -118.138696

199 S Madison ave Pasadena, CA 91101

I'm coming here late in the game. But! In tonight's episode, they zoomed out from the roof of the building, getting a larger look at Pasedena.

asUlI.png

The building itself appears to have been composited in, but the location is clearly:

Google Maps

That address is approximately 227 S Madison Ave.

But, again, this map is largely composited. You can see that some features (a running track and a parking lot, for instance) appear in the larger aerial shot, but do not appear on the actual map. They appear to have been real features that were moved and translated from southeast of the apartment building.

Track and Parking Lot shown, Apartment building boxed:

o2Dbf.png

Just watched the season 5 finale. At the end they show the roof of the building and then pan up into space. I found that location on Google maps. The rooftop we actually see in not real. The building that is actually at that location has a different roof. Also, it's not on Los Robles, so whatever. The location that they start zooming out from is at the south west corner of Cordova and Madison Ave in Pasadena. Here's a Google Maps link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=pasadena+city+college&ll=34.142145,-118.138309&spn=0.001881,0.002832&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&hq=pasadena+city+college&hnear=pasadena+city+college&cid=0,0,6769089712747176799&t=h&z=19

Another thing I noticed is that they actually spliced together different sections of Pasadena into a composite map that does not resemble reality at all. For example, there is a section that contains the Pasadena City College football field northwest of the location of the build. In reality that football field is east of that location. There is another section directly to the west of the building location that looks like part of the parking lots behind a group of restaurants on Lave Ave. Oh well. At least they were zooming up from Pasadena. I recognize the major highways you can see once they get to cloud level.

Jim

True, i totally saw that too! Glad i wasn't the only one that found it ^_^

Apartment_4B.jpg

Jim

Hey Jim, just found a video on youtube showing exactly same image from penny's apartament on set tour (2:58), here is the link:

Apartment_4B.jpg

Jim

Hey Jim, just found a video on youtube showing exactly same image from penny's apartament on set tour (2:58), here is the link:

Wow! I thought about this thread immediately after watching the season 5 finale. So which address is it? 199 or 227 S. Madison?

Cool You Tube video. I haven't seen that one until now. What building is that actually outside of Penny's bedroom? Howard said it is some kind of nuclear plant.

I'm coming here late in the game. But! In tonight's episode, they zoomed out from the roof of the building, getting a larger look at Pasedena.

asUlI.png

The building itself appears to have been composited in, but the location is clearly:

Google Maps

That address is approximately 227 S Madison Ave.

But, again, this map is largely composited. You can see that some features (a running track and a parking lot, for instance) appear in the larger aerial shot, but do not appear on the actual map. They appear to have been real features that were moved and translated from southeast of the apartment building.

o2Dbf.png

The actual address is 215 S. Madison using Google Earth Street View...see post-6244-134808097752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Highground

post-6244-13480809776_thumb.jpgNot sure if my previous post made sense:

The actual location (of the digitally altered (fictional) apartment house in the recent season finale...nice work by David VÃvra BTW...Fictional APT house on Google Earth )

is 215 S. Madison, Pasadena, CA...Just view in Google Earth Street View

See the enclosed Attachment:

BTW...OUTSTANDING work done by "JamesPMiller" in figuring out the exact spot where the telephoto images used in the background of both apartments were acquired! (the top of the parking garage of Community Bank on South Hudson Ave.) Simply brilliant!

Edited by Highground

BTW: 227 S. Madison might have been a much better choice...if you look close at the KMZ overlay created by David VÃvra, you'll see that the BBT television graphics people copied some of the key features of that apartment building (e.g., open flat roof patio near the east end, same kind of ventilation and A/C ducting, and same reddish brown auxilliary roof textures from the apartment building at 227 S. Madison) and then put them on top of the plain jane roof of the building next door (215 S. Madison) . The 227 S. apartment building (as viewed in Street view) is more likely to have the kind of elevator shown in the BBT tv show...albeit likely working in good order (note the clean pool out back on the overhead view).

see:Google Maps

Nonetheless, it was very nice to see them make reference to, creatively employ aspects of, Google Earth.

And another BTW: Google Earth does not have "its own satellite" as declared in the season finale BBT script. Google Earth buys the imagery from various commercial satellite vendors like DigitalGlobe and GeoEye. And that satellite imagery is not scheduled before-hand such that anyone outside of the satellite firms know when it is actually to be acquisitioned. In the case of Pasadena, and most of the continental US and Europe, much of the imagery is actually aerial (not satellite) and is either purchased and licensed from an aerial imagery vendor, or the US Geological Survey, or the aerial imagery is specifically commissioned by Google.

Edited by Highground

asUlI.png

Google Maps

That address is 215 S Madison Ave.

Regarding the compositing...you are quite correct and nice catch geniousboy5 (along with all the others who came to the same conclusion...I think Rand0m was first: http://forum.the-big...hread-2574.html )...what the TV guys did was to incorporate a parking lot (west of Cal Tech near shopping and restaurants) and the athletic field into the view, which could either be the one on the Pasadena City College or the one on the Cal Tech campus (which are indeed located nearby, and to the east and/or southeast)

That's above and beyond the call of duty for those BBT graphics people.

o2Dbf.png

Edited by Highground

Now that it's all clear that the building has been composited into the Google Earth map, and the locations in the surrounding area have been altered, I'd like to find out what rooftop was used to shoot the scene. Do you all think it was a roof in the studio lot, or a regular city roof somewhere in CA?

I'm sure it may eventually be explained in a behind the scenes video.

Now that it's all clear that the building has been composited into the Google Earth map, and the locations in the surrounding area have been altered, I'd like to find out what rooftop was used to shoot the scene. Do you all think it was a roof in the studio lot, or a regular city roof somewhere in CA?

I'm sure it may eventually be explained in a behind the scenes video.

It was just and indoor set that they have used before (the laser to the moon was one time)

• 2 months later...

Now that we know where the composite building IS, We need to find out where it SHOULD be. In the episode RECOMBINATION HYPOTHESIS, Penny drags Leonard into her Apt. When Leonard gets back into his Apt. he is "caught" by Sheldon. Leonard lies and tells Sheldon he went to the "Gas Station Across The Street". Later in the conversation Sheldon names the gas station as the "Colorado Blvd. Chevron". THE ONLY Chevron is on Colorado and Hill. But there is NO Apts. there, just the gas station (South/West corner), Jack In The Box (North/East corner), and 2 parking lots. Also no view of City Hall. So Loonard must have had a VERY LONG walk.