The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
walnutcowboy

Argue

You've proven you have no idea, and most obviouly no aptitude for debate.

The first rule of debate... do not take it personally. You can see you've failed there can't you?

Learn to recognise bait and ignor it. You've failed there too.

Do not make assumptions. You've failed there also. Imaging my religious views.

If you knew anything of debating, you'd know it's not for the faint of heart. You need to grow a thick skin. Yours looks thin.

Do you want to play?

No, you know nothing of debate. You only know how to quarrel. To be an ethical debater, one must be factual, reasoned, logical, and considerate. And I do think you are as mean as you sound. Since we play by different rules, I will take my ball & go home. You can consider this a victory.

There is a long list of invasive and painful medical procedures I would rather endure than debate religion or politics on a message board.  There is less than a 1 percent chance it will ever end friendly or that anyone's viewpoint will be altered.  If it is an educational format that is fine but when it moves into debate it can get all kinds of ugly.  These are subjects people kill and sacrifice themselves for.

There is a long list of invasive and painful medical procedures I would rather endure than debate religion or politics on a message board.  There is less than a 1 percent chance it will ever end friendly or that anyone's viewpoint will be altered.  If it is an educational format that is fine but when it moves into debate it can get all kinds of ugly.  These are subjects people kill and sacrifice themselves for.

I am speechless :icon_rolleyes:

Why?

Do you really mean what you state there? :my:

Personally I hate to endure invasive and painful medical procedures :icon_cry: I'd rather prefer debate in a reasonable manner about political or religious matters. Debating should be "ideally" a democratic process of a civilized progression of the humankind.(Are we animals?)

I am also very well aware there are too many wars on the globe because of .those issues and people kill  other people and sacrifice themselves when agreements are not reached in diplomatic settlements. But that's part of life, isn't it?

Edited by wannamaker

Far be it from me to put words in Ar Diem's mouth but I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating/being sarcastic about preferring medical procedures. Kind of like the way you might say "I'd rather have a root canal than watch another schmaltzy scene with Howard and Bernadette." 

As to debate, let's not kid ourselves. The purpose of debate isn't even to gain understanding of someone else's viewpoint. It's to defend your own position against an opposing view. To debate matters of faith is pointless on the face of it; by definition faith is predicated on believing something that cannot be proven.   

• Like 1

Far be it from me to put words in Ar Diem's mouth but I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating/being sarcastic about preferring medical procedures. Kind of like the way you might say "I'd rather have a root canal than watch another schmaltzy scene with Howard and Bernadette." 

As to debate, let's not kid ourselves. The purpose of debate isn't even to gain understanding of someone else's viewpoint. It's to defend your own position against an opposing view. To debate matters of faith is pointless on the face of it; by definition faith is predicated on believing something that cannot be proven.   

Ding Ding Ding.  We have a winner.  The only thing I would add is that debating politics is also about faith in rhetoric. 

A debate can be a useful tool and I personally love debating but there are certain subjects which are best avoided unless strict rules are in place.  Many many many message boards ban these two subjects so the moderation team doesn't have to keep cleaning up the inevitable mess.

I only would like to know who was the silly person inventing the idea of making English language the "universal language" and to force lot of people in the world to learn it. I know people will reply that English is practical language because sentences are short and you express yourself in a very direct, simple way, but in reality it is not simple language. Even natives have problem for writing it because English is written in a different way than spoken. What a silly idea to write a language in very diferent way than spoken! And there is not clear rules! Why the "oo" of "boot" sound different than the "oo" of "blood"?? And this is only an example :icon_rolleyes:

The English should be written like this:

De English shud bi writen laik dis :icon_lol: Du yu anderstand wat ai min??

I believe Chinese Mandarin will become the unversal language of planet Earth. Personal I would prefer German.

No, you know nothing of debate. You only know how to quarrel. To be an ethical debater, one must be factual, reasoned, logical, and considerate. And I do think you are as mean as you sound. Since we play by different rules, I will take my ball & go home. You can consider this a victory.

I can't consider this a victory, we didn't actually exchange any real meat.

I agree that reason, logic and facts are essential to genuine debate. However, consideration to the feelings of you opponent is not essential. Real debate consentrates on facts more than anything else.

OMG... Why is everybody arguing!? Can't we maintain one civil discussion without all the bickering? I suggest we all reread the thread title & get back on-topic!!!

I believe Chinese Mandarin will become the unversal language of planet Earth. Personal I would prefer German.

Yeah, nowadays lot of people is learning Chinese....but we should learn Arabic.....we must learn Arabic. I just started.

ARGUE

This post has only 1 rule.

You must argue without getting personal or hurting the feelings of others.

Do you agree?

IsnnQAN.gif

Oh my God, you're all gonna argue about arguing. That's as bad as gibber-jabbering about gibber-jabber.

Oh my God, you're all gonna argue about arguing. That's as bad as gibber-jabbering about gibber-jabber.

When I argue it is in the spirit of debate and reasoning.

When I argue it is in the spirit of debate and reasoning.

Me too... I just used the opening to make a TBBT reference.

Jar-Jar Binks didn't ruin Star Wars... The Ewoks did that 30-years ago!!!!

Edited by Anomaly

ARGUE

This post has only 1 rule.

You must argue without getting personal or hurting the feelings of others.

Do you agree?

IsnnQAN.gif

I do not agree. I want to hurt the pride of my opponents.

I also enjoy the feeble attempts of my opponents at wounding me.

I have a thick skin coated with a layer of arrogance.

Bazina! Not true: I'm a pussy cat.

I'm keeping right out of this..! :o

You're not. You've come in to tell us that you're keeping out of it.

If you was keeping out of it, you would not post!!!

I do have some weazle qualities.

@Catweazle

If you don't mind me asking, I am a tiny bit curious. What does mean your avatar named Catweazle? And why that choice?

You are free to ask me why I've chosen mine if you wish too. ;)

And for YOU....

I am a tiny bit curious. What does mean your avatar named walnutcowboy? And why that choice?

Please don't beat me up with fish fingers sticks for this curiosity of mine.

Edited by wannamaker

@Catweazle

If you don't mind me asking, I am a tiny bit curious. What does mean your avatar named Catweazle? And why that choice?

Catweazle is my favourite TV show. 1969-1971.

My avatar is a picture of Catweazle.

Edited by Catweazle