The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.07 The Habitation Configuration (Nov. 8)

Your Episode Rating  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I also did state because of said childhood his ability to down drinks at a rate (no matter who provide those drinks) that only his father would be proud of. The question is then are the writers slowly setting up a future issue about drinking that he so vehemently apposes but handles so expertly when presented to him? (Just a question that popped into my brain while hopped up on tea bags!) :)

Did you just basically ask whether we're going to see Sheldon Cooper turn into a drunkard? :icon_mrgreen:

I would like to preface this that it is totally my own opinion. However, everyone does realize that this stealth SKJ is sitting somewhere laughing his/her you know what off. All from according to a very astute member indicated it took them 4 minutes to undertake! :)

I'd say it's most likely!

Did you just basically ask whether we're going to see Sheldon Cooper turn into a drunkard? :icon_mrgreen:

Personally, I certainly hope not. But then the writers have had no problem making things happen with L/P that I wished to this day they hadn't. So if they can do it with other characters I suppose they can feel free to do it with any of the characters. It's not like they hold the core group sacred since both Leonard & Penny are part of the core group. Also, when it happens to one of the core it has a much more of an impact. Higher ratings? Possibility? In addition, since they have already messed with both L/P the only logical next step is Sheldon and therefore Amy. (Just a big bad theory.)

Edited by SodidIwin?

Please, no! I'd rather they not mess with Sheldon/Amy.. they've handled the relationship remarkably well so far, with a lot of thought and care.

OMG Sodidiwin, I was referring to all those people who were "impressed" that he was able to sip "that much" liquid in one go. I did not say something about his alcohol issues and I was referring to Jim, the actor. Also, I'm not a hard-core Jim/Sheldon fan. Sometimes I cringe at other people's "healthy" obsessions as much as the next guy but I cannot blame them for loving a good actor.

I thought it was clear by now I was sent by the gods at Olympus to be a defend Mayim and Amy to my last breath?

Edit: Mess with Shamy... that's probably the last thing they'd do, now that they're the Emmy-hauling duo there...

Edited by jeanalice
  • Like 1

Please, no! I'd rather they not mess with Sheldon/Amy.. they've handled the relationship remarkably well so far, with a lot of thought and care.

Although I understand and feel your anguish, how can they toy with all of the relationships either major or minor but have a hands off policy on the major character Sheldon and then therefore the secondary character Amy?

OMG Sodidiwin, I was referring to all those people who were "impressed" that he was able to sip "that much" liquid in one go. I did not say something about his alcohol issues and I was referring to Jim, the actor. Also, I'm not a hard-core Jim/Sheldon fan. Sometimes I cringe at other people's "healthy" obsessions as much as the next guy but I cannot blame them for loving a good actor.

I thought it was clear by now I was sent by the gods at Olympus to be a defend Mayim and Amy to my last breath?

Edit: Mess with Shamy... that's probably the last thing they'd do, now that they're the Emmy-hauling duo there...

The last thing I want to do is mess with a messenger from the gods of Olympus! I cause enough problems for myself from the gods of mother-earth! But just to mess with fate, the Emmy duo aren't exempt. Actually that puts a larger target on their backs. However, I would like to make it perfectly clear that this is just a wild guess and there is no need for Zeus to strike me down with a lightening bolt or whatever else suits his fancy! :)

Although I understand and feel your anguish, how can they toy with all of the relationships either major or minor but have a hands off policy on the major character Sheldon and then therefore the secondary character Amy?

Well, if you mean by toy as in put an unsteady rock between them, then they did. But since a lot of audience and critics alike are nitpicky with Sheldon alone, they won't do anything harsh or even drastic that some people would find unnatural.

Then again, who knows? As long as I'm assured there's no such thing as couple-switching (which would likely be the apocalypse once that happens... it's stupid enough to think about) then I'm good.

The last thing I want to do is mess with a messenger from the gods of Olympus! I cause enough problems for myself from the gods of mother-earth! But just to mess with fate, the Emmy duo aren't exempt. Actually that puts a larger target on their backs. However, I would like to make it perfectly clear that this is just a wild guess and there is no need for Zeus to strike me down with a lightening bolt or whatever else suits his fancy! :)

Haha.. even if Athena and I are best buddies, I still cannot tell. I'm only here as Amy's guardian. Yes, I am well-aware but what I meant as "messing" that they would do is that they would make them do something that's totally off that would really be hard to digest or even absorb. For example, they are NOT going to make Sheldon alcoholic, nor are they making Amy a lap dancer begging for love. Wait, on second though...

Edited by jeanalice

I love the Shamy, its humanizing for all involved. I especially like the interaction between the characters having to deal with everyday run of the mill issues in relationships. It harkens back to the tiara episode. Mess up, buy jewerly, guy offends your girlfriend, throw up in his rosebushes!

I'd say, that ep is my fav, for now. But something tells me, that it will better yet :p .

Shamy was hilarious and adorable as always. I loved Amy here - she could not be right or perfect, but it's too easy to like/love one person, who is always good and right. There're no people like this in this world :icon_twisted: . I think, she was jealous, but still I don't need to search for the reason why she was so or so... IMO she is cute girl :my:. What about Sheldon - there's some huge growth! I have no doubt more, that he IS sooooo profoundly in Love :wub: :wub: :wub: . "MY WOMAN".... awwwww...

I used to worry, that something could happen I would not like, but from this ep I'm sure, the writers doing their best and it'll this way along :icon_cheesygrin: . I just tell "thanks" to TBBT...

I say this purely based on the evidence so far - it seems they are paying more attention and care to handling the Sheldon/Amy relationship properly, than the other relationships. There are hints and subtleties thrown in which indicate a certain amount of thought. Maybe it is, indeed, because Sheldon is a character who has the largest fan following and many people are touchy about.

I really enjoyed this episode, it was a funny one. Of course, Amy was as annoying as ever, but the main theme was based on that, so can't complain.

I really enjoyed this episode, it was a funny one. Of course, Amy was as annoying as ever, but the main theme was based on that, so can't complain.

Amy might be annoying but compared to Sheldon she is a jewel. Oh sure I laugh at Sheldon but no way could I deal with him in Real life.

• Like 1

I say this purely based on the evidence so far - it seems they are paying more attention and care to handling the Sheldon/Amy relationship properly, than the other relationships. There are hints and subtleties thrown in which indicate a certain amount of thought. Maybe it is, indeed, because Sheldon is a character who has the largest fan following and many people are touchy about.

Using the polls from this very website the top 3 characters are Sheldon, Penny & Leonard in that order with the entire rest of cast no where to be seen eating their dust. The favorite cast member goes Kaley, Jim, Johnny then the rest once again eating their dust. The favorite female character is Penny with over 3 times as many votes than 2nd place Amy. The cutest couple is L/P over S/A with very nearly a 2 to 1 margin. If your theory was true then they would have handled L/P with kid gloves which of course they hadn't over a 2 year period from part of season 3 through 1/2 of season 5. If they actually do handle S/A differently then that clearly would be a double standard. Speaking for myself I find double standards very annoying.

• Like 1

SodidIwin, I think Pomita was referring to the writers trying to please the majority of their fans around the world, active online or not, not the population of the fans that were only able to visit here. I don't even think that the entire history of those who have been here makes up the entirety of those who watch the episodes, 15 million of those in US alone. This may be the official fansite but this does not mean this contains ALL of those who are fans of the show. Though I do not disagree with the data being Sheldon, Leonard and Penny are the FANS' favorite but like from the data you've stated Sheldon tops most polls, and by de facto the person who he is in a romantic relationship with would be carried out with the task of them carefully handling the most tuned-at character in the series.

I mentioned somewhere about Amy always getting the short end of the stick and the fact that you stated Amy is the 2nd favorite female character (I had to roll my eyes with the fact that there are only three female REGULAR characters and that this is the very place where a lot ranted how they wanted her out so obviously... *pfffffft*), but someone slammed me and that they gave me this:

You may feel that way, but people who love Amy Farrah Fowler are not outnumbered by millions. Mayim was nominated for an Emmy this year, and she's been made a permanent part of the cast. This episode got 16.5 viewers in the US alone - it's highest rated episode ever, putting it solidly as the #1 sitcom, if not show, for another week, and the show did not start winning this #1 sitcom rating until the character of Amy Farrah Fowler joined the cast. If the vast majority of people, if millions of people, hated her character so much, none of the above things would be happening. Mayim would not be Emmy-nominated, the show would not be the nation's #1 sitcom watched by millions of people every Thursday, and the writers would have killed off Amy Farrah Fowler by having her crushed under the wheels of a slow moving turnip wagon by now.

I think that sometimes it's easy to get distracted by a very vocal minority. For instance, I think I once saw a post by someone who claimed that they believed that the majority of all TBBT viewers were Shenny shippers who desperately wanted those two characters to get together. However, there's a poll on another forum asking that very question, and the vote there is 24 for, and 121 against. For one thing, that suggests that the forum only has about 150 really active members who look to discuss the show online, hence a miniscule sampling of the amount of people who actually watch it, but that among the people who actually get that into a TV show, less than 20% support the Shenny pairing. And that's far short of a majority. It means more than 80% are actually against it.

To think of yourself as an Amy-lover who is outnumbered by millions of people is not just melodramatic, but unhealthy. Between the various forums and tumblr and such, I don't think that there's over 200 truly active posters who like making commentary on the show, let alone people in that group who dislike Amy so much. However, let's look at this argument just by making some very generalized conclusions about the numbers. The Big Bang Theory was watched by 16.5 million people in the US last week. I know it's the number one sitcom in Canada and Mexico as well, and that it's watched by people all over the world. Let's make a very conservative estimate, and say that the show is watched by about 20 million people on a weekly basis, and that there's really as high a number as 200 people who actively post on forums about their Amy hate. That's still only 0.000001 percent of the actual viewing audience who dislike Amy so much they need to take to the Internet to bitch about it. That's miniscule.

• Like 1

Actually Sheldon/Jim/Amy only came in 1St place in one of the polls. Penny/Kaley/Leonard came in 1st in the rest. Also you seemed to ignore the very large margin between 1st & second for female character an cutest couple. As for this being only one website. It maybe 1 website but it it the official TBBT site. Most likely the fans that visit this site are more than casual fans and therefore their voting would hold much more weight, IMO.

Jeanalice - I love your post.

Using the polls from this very website the top 3 characters are Sheldon, Penny & Leonard in that order with the entire rest of cast no where to be seen eating their dust. The favorite cast member goes Kaley, Jim, Johnny then the rest once again eating their dust. The favorite female character is Penny with over 3 times as many votes than 2nd place Amy. The cutest couple is L/P over S/A with very nearly a 2 to 1 margin. If your theory was true then they would have handled L/P with kid gloves which of course they hadn't over a 2 year period from part of season 3 through 1/2 of season 5. If they actually do handle S/A differently then that clearly would be a double standard. Speaking for myself I find double standards very annoying.

I didn't say that they're not paying as much attention to the Leonard/Penny relationship because they are less popular. The issue is that the Sheldon/Amy pairing is more difficult to write. Firstly, Sheldon (as many people don't fail to point out here) was not only single but dedicated to his solitude, for the first 3 years of the show. And secondly, Amy is a new character. Leonard/Penny have been the 'bread-and-butter' couple of the show right from the first season, and I think we can safely say that the majority of TBBT fans, even the old-timer purists, root for them. But in the case of the 'Shamy', the writers were on much more tricky grounds; they had to make sure that Amy became accepted and popular as a character, and that it would be believable for Sheldon to want couple-hood with her, and that people got to accept and love the pairing. No mean feat. And they had to achieve all this over 2 years, over and above an already established cast, and involving critical points of character growth.

At the moment, the 'Shamy' is arguably the most popular pairing on the show. Getting them there - and keeping them there - takes some effort. This is why I feel they have had to take a lot more care and attention in their treatment of this pairing, in the last 2 years.

• Like 1

Jeanalice - I love your post.

I didn't say that they're not paying as much attention to the Leonard/Penny relationship because they are less popular. The issue is that the Sheldon/Amy pairing is more difficult to write. Firstly, Sheldon (as many people don't fail to point out here) was not only single but dedicated to his solitude, for the first 3 years of the show. And secondly, Amy is a new character. Leonard/Penny have been the 'bread-and-butter' couple of the show right from the first season, and I think we can safely say that the majority of TBBT fans, even the old-timer purists, root for them. But in the case of the 'Shamy', the writers were on much more tricky grounds; they had to make sure that Amy became accepted and popular as a character, and that it would be believable for Sheldon to want couple-hood with her, and that people got to accept and love the pairing. No mean feat. And they had to achieve all this over 2 years, over and above an already established cast, and involving critical points of character growth.

At the moment, the 'Shamy' is arguably the most popular pairing on the show. Getting them there - and keeping them there - takes some effort. This is why I feel they have had to take a lot more care and attention in their treatment of this pairing, in the last 2 years.

Ok, I can accept your analysis. Great explanation by the way! :)

Yes. Let us say that this is the "official" tbbt fansite. But just because it's official, it's not the only place that they know of (and most probably they haven't even heard of this before, or worse though true, is that they do not want it here). Oh, who are the fans and THE casual fans that are being referred to? I know a LOT of Filipino tbbt fans(more obsessed than I will ever be) but they never leave that forum nor are they aware of this one. They are also fans, right? Those random people in torrent sites downloading all the episodes, aren't they fans too? They never come here too. Those in tumblr, hell, they do NOT know of this place and only see the spoiler posts through spoilertv. Most of them are fans too.

Okay, to cut to the chase, the result here is random sampling. But do you think this is the only place the writers get their information? Like the time when they accidentally labeled one of the photos in CBS (the one where the photo of Leonard showing his stomach with the "go sports" writing). Someone said that when they posted it here, the ones in the CBS website changed it after fans here pointed it out. I doubt that was the case because I saw the mistake being pointed out in Fan Forum by the fans there hours before someone posted it here and even before they pointed it out in the news thread there, I saw people tweeting CBS that they had it wrong. Now I wanted to know where they get their information. Where do TBTP get the fact that people still love L/P and that Shamy fans are multiplying? Also, why didn't they heed the Shenny shippers' request that they bring those two characters together?

Bill Prady will always (and I am the one who's getting tired for him) respond to some people suggesting ideas and even episode scripts for the show (with obvious legal reasons). They (him, Lorre, and Molaro being the showrunners) also said they write it how they wanted it to go. Though I do wonder where they base the reception of their couples from. Do they listen to critics alone? They have assistants visiting forums? Set up polls randomly over the internet? What? Doesn't CBS also have a forum? And a fanpage in facebook?

Long story short- I have no idea where this post of mine is headed to.

Oh, right. Where do they get their decisions of handling the storylines? Are they doing it for the sake of viewership or they simply stick to what their gut tells them how they write it? They themselves know that if in season 4 they made Sheldon and Amy get in a defined relationship and have sex the very next day, it's totally off and out of character. They know their characters and their very capacity. They are the ones writing it and that they have their own plans even if it was on a per-episode basis. Why do you think they added Alex? Why do you think they made Raj get drunk and then scold Penny for not saying ILY yet, and Amy and Bernie telling her off on how she was being with regards to her and Leonard's relationship? They know it is well within the capacity of their character. Unlike Sheldon, leading Penny and Leonard does not require them to walk on thumb tacks but on eggshells that would probably turn into powder when stepped on.

Oh. Wait. Yes, what Pomita said.

Edited by jeanalice
  • Like 2

I accepted Pomita's explanation! Now I'm going back to what I said and I really don't care where the writers get their ideas. Double standards for whomever are very annoying! Also, to think that Amy needs to be treated like they are walking on eggshells but you can make Penny a drunk because she can handle it better or L/P are the stronger characters mentally so they can take walking on tacks, then the bottom line is you don't really think much of Amy' or S/A inner fortitude. You are dearly afraid that the littlest wrong move will throw their relationship into a tailspin. But you shouldn't worry because the writers have deemed them the chosen ones! Have I got it right now? Double standards are a good thing as long as they benefit the characters you are fans of.

SodidIwin - thanks. :)

Jean - I do think that the TBBT writers, for the most part, follow their gut, and they usually don't plan out what path they're going to take very long in advance (they say this, and I believe them). I say 'for the most part' because a) in the last 2 years, they have in some cases followed an approach of pre-deciding a broad story arc and throwing subtle hints to foreshadow it (this is true specifically in the context of the Sheldon/Amy developments during season 5).

And b ) we can't discount the possibility that there are publicists who occasionally drop in at forums like this and take stock. Some things they've done have been uncannily guided by what seemed to be large-scale opinions among us. A case in point being the sharp dialling down of Amy's suggestive comments to Penny, which a fair section of the audience didn't like.

Edited by Pomita
  • Like 2

I accepted Pomita's explanation! Now I'm going back to what I said and I really don't care where the writers get their ideas. Double standards for whomever are very annoying! Also, to think that Amy needs to be treated like they are walking on eggshells but you can make Penny a drunk because she can handle it better or L/P are the stronger characters mentally so they can take walking on tacks, then the bottom line is you don't really think much of Amy' or S/A inner fortitude. You are dearly afraid that the littlest wrong move will throw their relationship into a tailspin. But you shouldn't worry because the writers have deemed them the chosen ones! Have I got it right now? Double standards are a good thing as long as they benefit the characters you are fans of.

Heh, I certainly don't support their paying less attention to Leonard/Penny. I just feel it was somewhat inevitable in season 5 because they were compelled to take more care with Sheldon/Amy, for the reasons stated.

I should also say that I think they ARE trying to give a lot of thought and take some significant steps with Leonard/Penny in the current season. Not that their efforts are always looking too successful; but the screen-time and thought-time is clearly there. I sincerely hope they're able to get them to a better place over this season.

• Like 1

Wow, there has been so much discussion about this episode, both here and at the other forum.

I think I posted something initially about this episode and now that I've watched it a couple more times, taking into account a lot of what has been said, I guess I have a few more thoughts.

I do agree that while Amy was being kind of arbitraty in her objections to Wil's performance, she wasn't trying to be hateful toward him. I don't know that she had any preconceived notions about him--there's no evidence given in that regard--but as others have pointed out, she did seem to let the director's role go to her head. Of course she would find no flaw in Sheldon, and it was ridiculous that she would object to Wil's initial words, since he barely had a chance to say anything.

However, in her interactions with Wil, she did admit that it was her first time directing and she did try to explain what she wanted, in her blunt way (and I loved the "less Pinnochio, more real boy" comment :p ), but she never set out to deliberately insult him. She had a goal in mind and was simply trying to achieve it, however unrealistic and oblivious she might have been.

As others have pointed out, Wil got his back up pretty quickly. On the one hand, it's kind of understandable at first--he's an experienced actor, doing his friend Sheldon a favor by participating in a pretty random, nerdy, weird webcast, and to have a "first-time director" gripe about his "performance" is understandably annoying. That being said, it was wrong of him to deliberately over-act just to get back at her, and it was wrong of him to call her a "pain in the A-S-S" to Sheldon in front of her. If he really wanted to complain or say that he couldn't work with her or whatever, he could have asked to speak to Sheldon in private, the way Amy did. She was offended and wanted to discuss the problem, but she chose to speak to Sheldon in private.

Now, if Wil had talked to Sheldon privately instead of insulting Amy, Sheldon would still have been put in an awkward place of having to talk to Amy about her directing job, or whatever, but it would have been more proper.

As a musician, there are times when I've worked with incompetent or rude conductors. Even if you know you know more than the conductor, you're obligated, whether you're playing for free or getting proper scale, to do what the conductor wants. Sometimes you just have to smile and nod and say, "Yes, sir" and do it the way he wants--at least in rehearsal. There's little they can do during the performance... ;)

Anyway, so because of all of this I feel that while Amy was essentially ridiculous in her assessment of Wil's performance, he was deliberately rude and insulting to her, knowing she was Sheldon's girlfriend (I assume he knew) and knowing that he was deliberately putting Sheldon in the middle of it. So, yeah, I think he did owe Amy an apology, even if he decided he didn't want to do the webcast after all or whatever. I think WW was more wrong than Amy.

As for the question about Drunk!Sheldon--I think that there have only been a couple of times where he has chosen to drink.

In the Apology Insufficiency, he told Penny that he wanted alcohol specifically and he tried to choose a cocktail. But then whatever it was she served him, he didn't like the way it tasted and kept spitting it out (and may I say, that shot glass of liquid that had been in Jim's mouth 3 or 4 times looked pretty nasty when he finally walked away. YAK! :p

In the Pants Alternative, he hadn't intended to drink until at the last minute he thought he was going to faint. He went ahead and drank the drinks that Penny put in front of him (and apparently a little more from the bottle!) because he thought the alternative was to faint.

In the Stag Convergence he wanted to drink in order to participate in the social conventions regarding stag parties, but he again hated the taste and even wiped his tongue, as I recall. I don't think they showed him drinking all that much, just that at one point he declared that he was drunk. And for some reason I love the way he's moving in slo-mo the next day and then quietly disappears into the bathroom, then comes out and says, "I just threw up the bachelor party..." :)

But the first time he gets drunk, in the Grasshopper Experiment, and this last time, he didn't know he was drinking.

I think that in this episode, when Penny suggested a Long Island Iced Tea he really, naively, had no idea he was drinking alcohol. That's why he chugged it down so quickly and denied that he needed to take it slow. He thought he was drinking tea, which he was very experienced with drinking.

And I don't think they were using a fake glass--you see him stir the drink with his straw and you can watch his throat working while he's sucking that thing down. I don't think there would be any need to use any kind of trick glass (how would that work, anyway?)

I don't know if the ice cubes were real or not and I agree there were a lot of them in the glass, very likely to limit the amount of liquid he had to suck down, but I do think it was funny, physical comedy to see him do that, and I'm sure it was real in that regard. Someone who went to the taping said they did that scene twice and that JP ended up sucking down a total of 4 glasses like that.

But I don't think there's any agenda in regard to how Sheldon feels about drinking because of his dad. They really have never made any assertions that his father died from drinking. Whether or not he was an alcoholic might be a matter of speculation, but I don't think they've ever come out and said that. Yeah, he got drunk at times, but we don't know if it was an every day thing or if he just liked to drink (and argue with Mrs. Cooper, etc.) I don't think that Sheldon's general aversion to drinking has anything to do with his dad's drinking--at least, not that they've ever said--but seems to just be part of his upbringing and/or maybe he feels it would interfere with his work. He seems to disdain it in others, at least to some degree, but he doesn't seem to be afraid to want to try it once in a while.

I do think that the writers are a little more deliberate and careful about what they do with the Shamy, but I don't think it has to do with opinion poll so much as it has to do with the fact that they view them as one of the most unique couples on television, as I believe Chuck Lorre (and maybe BIll Prady, too) has said. Chuck said that when they talk about Sheldon and Amy that they sometimes have to kind of compare how a "normal" couple might react to a given situation with how Sheldon and Amy might react instead. So I think they try to keep S & A's individual personalities and peculiarities in mind when putting them into any given situation or in coming up with story ideas for them as a couple.

That's not to say they don't think about how they write the other couples, but just that L&P and/or H&B might be a little easier to think through because even with the nerd issues and other personality issues, they're more likely to react a little more "normally" than S&A.

• Like 2

They definitely got people talking, with the Amy/Sheldon/Wheaton issue in this episode. There are extensive heated discussions/arguments going on all 3 forums I browse. :)

On my part, I can't really judge whether Amy was more wrong than Wheaton in her behavior or vice versa (or both were equally responsible for the kerfuffle). Certainly Sheldon was relatively the most innocent one in the situation, because his crime was only that of his typical cluelessness and inability to follow sarcasm. As in Weekend Vortex, he thought Amy was willingly and voluntarily giving him an out, and he thanked her quite sincerely for it. :p But again, I thought the point of the episode was to provide a trigger for Sheldon to experience the feelings he did, and realize that he's willing to sometimes side with Amy even when she's not completely in the right, just because he cares about her. This doesn't mean by any stretch that Amy's always going to expect Sheldon to support her in her 'wrongdoings' from now on, or that Sheldon is going to do it. But we all have our bad days and our mood swings, and being there for your partner at such times is part of what a relationship is about.

I do think that the writers are a little more deliberate and careful about what they do with the Shamy, but I don't think it has to do with opinion poll so much as it has to do with the fact that they view them as one of the most unique couples on television, as I believe Chuck Lorre (and maybe BIll Prady, too) has said. Chuck said that when they talk about Sheldon and Amy that they sometimes have to kind of compare how a "normal" couple might react to a given situation with how Sheldon and Amy might react instead. So I think they try to keep S & A's individual personalities and peculiarities in mind when putting them into any given situation or in coming up with story ideas for them as a couple.

That's not to say they don't think about how they write the other couples, but just that L&P and/or H&B might be a little easier to think through because even with the nerd issues and other personality issues, they're more likely to react a little more "normally" than S&A.

Just what I meant. They're an odd couple and in many ways, writing their relationship is like walking a tightrope. One false step could make it all out-of-character or ludicrous.

Edited by Pomita

They definitely got people talking, with the Amy/Sheldon/Wheaton issue in this episode. There are extensive heated discussions/arguments going on all 3 forums I browse. :)

On my part, I can't really judge whether Amy was more wrong than Wheaton in her behavior or vice versa (or both were equally responsible for the kerfuffle). Certainly Sheldon was relatively the most innocent one in the situation, because his crime was only that of his typical cluelessness and inability to follow sarcasm. As in Weekend Vortex, he thought Amy was willingly and voluntarily giving him an out, and he thanked her quite sincerely for it. :p But again, I thought the point of the episode was to provide a trigger for Sheldon to experience the feelings he did, and realize that he's willing to sometimes side with Amy even when she's not completely in the right, just because he cares about her. This doesn't mean by any stretch that Amy's always going to expect Sheldon to support her in her 'wrongdoings' from now on, or that Sheldon is going to do it. But we all have our bad days and our mood swings, and being there for your partner at such times is part of what a relationship is about.

I think this is true--and I love the way he kind of gives her the eye when LeVar Burton agrees to go along with things. Sheldon looks at Amy like, "Be careful and don't screw this up!"

Just what I meant. They're an odd couple and in many ways, writing their relationship is like walking a tightrope. One false step could make it all out-of-character or ludicrous.

Exactly--they have to find the "right" way for Sheldon and Amy to respond individually and as a couple.

Oh, and I love the way Sheldon completely misread's Amy's "you didn't do anything" comment when they're Skyping.

"That's right. I didn't do anything!" as in "I didn't do anything wrong". Oh, Sheldon, Sheldon, Sheldon... :p