The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.07 The Habitation Configuration (Nov. 8)

Your Episode Rating  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Heh, I certainly don't support their paying less attention to Leonard/Penny. I just feel it was somewhat inevitable in season 5 because they were compelled to take more care with Sheldon/Amy, for the reasons stated.

I should also say that I think they ARE trying to give a lot of thought and take some significant steps with Leonard/Penny in the current season. Not that their efforts are always looking too successful; but the screen-time and thought-time is clearly there. I sincerely hope they're able to get them to a better place over this season.

Pomita, I stated in my post that I had agreed with you and that your analysis was very good. This subsequent post was not meant to be aimed at what you had stated. My apologies if it was taken as such! :)

Edited by SodidIwin?

I think this is true--and I love the way he kind of gives her the eye when LeVar Burton agrees to go along with things. Sheldon looks at Amy like, "Be careful and don't screw this up!"

That was definitely a Sheldonesque little glare. :p

Oh, and I love the way Sheldon completely misread's Amy's "you didn't do anything" comment when they're Skyping.

"That's right. I didn't do anything!" as in "I didn't do anything wrong". Oh, Sheldon, Sheldon, Sheldon... :p

Of course, it was completely beyond his ken to understand how not doing anything could be considered offensive in any way. :D

Pomita, I stated in my post that I had agreed with you and that your analysis was very good. This subsequent post was not meant to be aimed at what you had stated. My apologies if it was taken as such! :)

No offense at all. I just felt the need to clarify that I don't really want all the focus to be only on Sheldon/Amy, forever and ever. :)

I guess I was just trying to give the benefit of the doubt to yet another poster who was set upon by the usual gaggle of harpies for daring to criticize the show in any way. :icon_twisted: I honestly didn't look at his posting history.

You'll notice that there's plenty of criticizing going on here by all of us, related to specific aspects or episodes of the show. Hence all the differences and arguments. Just saying 'oh, this show is so wonderful' wouldn't require discussion. So no, I don't think anyone has issues with constructive criticism.

But honestly, someone who drops in once, calls the show horrible, predicts its demise and then disappears is almost certainly a troll.

I bet a lot of fans were waiting for this moment going, "Get Sheldon drunk! Get Sheldon drunk!!" It's something I never saw coming, but boy was it entertaining! I wish we could get more of that more often.

Love, Vienna

Frankly I don't see much difference between the way the writers write L\P and S\A(apart from the fact that L\P have sex of course :p)

Apparently jealousy and alcohol are their go things when it comes to moving the relationships forward

First kiss for both the couples were alcohol induced ones.

Both Sheldon and Leonard were immediately attracted to Amy and Penny when they first met them

Jealousy was what prompted both Leonard and Sheldon to make some courageous decisions.. when it comes to P\A

Stuart was used as a foil to make progress in their relationships

It always been the case of Leonard and Amy pushing Penny and Sheldon forward even thought when it was Penny and Sheldon who actually initiated their respective relationships...(Penny jumping Leonard when he comes back from northpole, Sheldon was the one to ask Amy to be his girlfriend).....(this fact constantly amuses me :p)

They are slowly working toward both Penny and Sheldon actually showing their feelings towards their respective partners because till now Penny is commitment phobic and Sheldon is touch phobic :p

And as far as subtle hints are concerned , I think it just a matter of perspective , people have their preferences and they choose to analyze their favorite things more...as a result of which those subtle hints come across...

And Shamy being the most popular couple... I don't know how anyone can decide this... because the amount of viewers is around 15 millions and almost all the pollings that I have come across had like around 2000-3000 votes max...

And the point of trying to make Amy a acceptable character before establishing the fact the Sheldon wants couple-hood with her...If I am correct they established that fact as early as the 25-cat episode (the third one in which Amy appeared).... yes there were some hiccups later but it was clearly established that this was path they were going

Edited by vasu
  • Like 6

So this week I agreed to not visit any pirates and watch this with my partner, so it just showed here in Australia and yep I was disappointed, I rated it Okay and that's all I thought of this episode. I found Amy obnoxious, and not herself at all. I just wish Penny would stop with the fish face, Sheldon had a couple of funny lines, and Wil and Levar were both entertaining, but I really didn't find much to laugh at here at all. The second story of Howard moving was good, but really the laugh were just not there, the old fiddling with yourself jokes again. I really thought about rating this one bad, truly I did, and no this isn't a bazinga. .

Vasu, although I agree with everything you said, you still left the very large elephant sitting in the room unmentioned. The Shammy needs to break up for say 2 years to "strengthen" their relationship in the future. After all at least Leonard dated before he asked Penny out for the first time, Sheldon didn't even want to think about the opposite sex. Then you have Amy that only went on a date once per year to appease her mom. If L/P needed strengthening then surely these two needed it 10 fold! Otherwise, NO the writers aren't handling the two the same. Especially throughout the series when L/P had a conflict it lasted it seemed (to me any way) forever (at least prior to this season) but when S/A have an issue they settle it in the very same episode. But this is just my opinion.

Edited by SodidIwin?
  • Like 2

Frankly I don't see much difference between the way the writers write L\P and S\A(apart from the fact that L\P have sex of course :p)

Apparently jealousy and alcohol are their go things when it comes to moving the relationships forward

First kiss for both the couples were alcohol induced ones.

But there was a difference in both the approach and the outcome--with L/P, Leonard wanted that kiss way more than Penny did, and even if they didn't immediately begin a relationship at that point, Leonard's reaction to it was far different from Sheldon's. Penny kissing him gave him hope that their relationship might actually develop into something. Though Leonard realized that Penny was drunk and so wasn't necessarily making a clear decision in kissing him, still he was already invested in wanting the relationship to develop.

WIth Amy and Sheldon, Amy seems to be interested in flirting with Sheldon, but of course this is while they're still in their mutually agreed upon boy/friend/girl/friend phase. Yes, she's drunk when she kisses him and while he doesn't actually resist, he certainly doesn't get all gooey and romantic about it. Though he's somehow "fascinated", he still apparently files it away under alcohol-induced bad judgement and the next day suggested that they essentially pretend that the night before never happened, returning to their platonic friend status. Her kiss didn't spark any romantic notion in him (at least, none that he desired or acknowledged or was hoping for) and didn't really alter their relationship at all.

Both Sheldon and Leonard were immediately attracted to Amy and Penny when they first met them

Yes, but far differently, at least as far as we can tell from Sheldon's point of view.

Leonard was smitten and wanted a romantic/sexual relationship to develop almost from the get-go. He was already talking about it while she was borrowing their shower and of course made his "our babies..." declaration by the end of that episode.

Sheldon, on the other hand, saw Amy as a kindred spirit in terms of her pragmatic, hands-off approach to their relationship. He wasn't seeking love or sex and neither was she and he liked that. But he wasn't setting his sights on her as a potential girlfriend and fought hard to insist that she was not his girlfriend. Now, whether or not he may have had more attraction to her than he realized is the big question that pervaded their early platonic relationship, but that was never part of the equation for Leonard and Penny.

Jealousy was what prompted both Leonard and Sheldon to make some courageous decisions.. when it comes to P\A

I don't know that I remember Leonard's very clearly, but I think that what can be said in general about Leonard in relation to Penny is that he's always knows that he wanted to be with her, that he was in love with her in some fashion.

I think that Sheldon wasn't always aware that he was jealous or maybe didn't know exactly why or what he needed or wanted to do. Even when he finally went to ask Amy to be his girlfriend he was kind of embarassed to have to actually come out and say it. He could barely articulate what it was about Amy being with Stuart that bothered him, and then even when he did ask her to be his girlfriend, it wasn't because he wanted to hop in the sack with her the way Leonard always has wanted with Penny. Sheldon had to come up with the Relationship Agreement in order to hem in their relationship and keep it essentially the same as their previous relationship with a handful of exceptions, which didn't even, at first, at least, including romantic handholding.

Stuart was used as a foil to make progress in their relationships

Well, it's much less complicated to use Stuart than to use one of the other guys or to bring in some random guy off the street (although there was plenty of that at one point for Penny.)

I think that in Leonard's case, Stuart's dates with Penny didn't really cause Leonard to do anything different other than to realize that Penny still had Leonard on her mind.

In Sheldon's case, the dates with Stuart prompted him to take action, but in some ways didn't really change Sheldon's behavior toward Amy. It led him to do something unprecedented, and that was to stake a claim on her, but at first, at least, it didn't actually change much in his attitude toward Amy.

It always been the case of Leonard and Amy pushing Penny and Sheldon forward even thought when it was Penny and Sheldon who actually initiated their respective relationships...(Penny jumping Leonard when he comes back from northpole, Sheldon was the one to ask Amy to be his girlfriend).....(this fact constantly amuses me :p)

I agree with this, except that I don't know that Sheldon exactly initiated the girlfriend/boyfriend aspect of their relationship in the same way that Penny initiated the L/P relationship. I think that Amy probably knew very well what she was doing in accepting the dates with Stuart. I don't know that she really cared about dating Stuart, but she certainly was interested in prompting Sheldon to take a step forward. Amy has a plan... ;)

Sheldon was essentially backed into changing their relationship paradigm because he was faced with the idea that Amy could end up developing romantic feelings for other guys (Stuart or anyone else) and he had to face the fact that he wanted her for himself.

Penny wasn't faced with the idea of Leonard dating anyone else, but found that the idea of not having him around every day struck her harder than she probably had cared to admit.

And of course, Penny's approach to missing Leonard was very different than Sheldon's approach to the idea of losing Amy.

Now, Leonard and Amy do push Penny and Sheldon forward, but the reasons that Penny and Sheldon need pushing are very different. :p

They are slowly working toward both Penny and Sheldon actually showing their feelings towards their respective partners because till now Penny is commitment phobic and Sheldon is touch phobic :p

I think that Penny knows how to show her feelings, she just won't come out and say the words.

Sheldon may be touch phobic, but his reluctance goes a bit deeper, in that he has been reluctant to deal with his feelings in general ("I'm a scientist, not a hippie!") and I think that he has had trouble even understanding exactly what he feels when it comes to Amy. I think he's gotten a lot better, but he still has trouble with all that squishy emotional stuff.

And as far as subtle hints are concerned , I think it just a matter of perspective , people have their preferences and they choose to analyze their favorite things more...as a result of which those subtle hints come across...

I think this is probably true--you look more closely at the things you love. I know I spend an inordinate amount of time looking much too closely at JP... :p

And Shamy being the most popular couple... I don't know how anyone can decide this... because the amount of viewers is around 15 millions and almost all the pollings that I have come across had like around 2000-3000 votes max...

Yeah, I don't know that there's any way to quantify all this "who's the most popular" business. There are so many people out there who will never participate in any kind of poll or voting for stuff like this, even if they have strong feelings. Just like there ain't no 15 million people hitting the message boards.

And the point of trying to make Amy a acceptable character before establishing the fact the Sheldon wants couple-hood with her...If I am correct they established that fact as early as the 25-cat episode (the third one in which Amy appeared).... yes there were some hiccups later but it was clearly established that this was path they were going

Yeah, I don't know that there was any concerted effort to make the audience like her more before they showed that Sheldon liked her.

I think it was clear from the S4 season opener when they were all teasing him about "the Shamy" and he was insisting that she was not his girlfriend. I think it was a foregone conclusion the minute they brought her back in S4, probably even from the minute the wrote the S3 ending that introduced her. It's just been a matter of figuring out what kind of person she is and how to mesh that with the kind of person that Sheldon is.

I do think they've done a great job of showing how they have similar tastes in certain things, like FwF and CounterFactuals and whatever other ways they spend their time intellectually, the way they seem to converse on the same wavelength, while also showing that Amy is not just a carbon copy of him, nor is she exactly like any of the other girls. They've given her her own personalitiy and allowed her to push back at Sheldon at times so that they have some give and take and some conflict and resolution, just in their own key.

• Like 4

Vasu, as per tradition in the Lollipop Guilld, it make sense and I agree.

Well Thank you :)

Vasu, although I agree with everything you said, you still left the very large elephant sitting in the room unmentioned. The Shammy needs to break up for say 2 years to "strengthen" their relationship in the future. After all at least Leonard dated before he asked Penny out for the first time, Sheldon didn't even want to think about the opposite sex. Then you have Amy that only went on a date once per year to appease her mom. If L/P needed strengthening then surely these two needed it 10 fold! Otherwise, NO the writers aren't handling the two the same. Especially throughout the series when L/P had a conflict it lasted it seemed (to me any way) forever (at least prior to this season) but when S/A have an issue they settle it in the very same episode. But this is just my opinion.

L\P relationship - 5+ years

S\A relationship - 2+ years

So obviously the writers had to streeeeeeeccccccch the L\P relationship as far as possible :p

Let me just point this is out that when I meant there was not much difference between the writers wrote L\P and S\A , I wanted to say that many of the important aspects in their relationships occured in similar situations, the ideas were similar , obviously there will be some differences as they are 4 completely different people

But there was a difference in both the approach and the outcome--with L/P, Leonard wanted that kiss way more than Penny did, and even if they didn't immediately begin a relationship at that point, Leonard's reaction to it was far different from Sheldon's. Penny kissing him gave him hope that their relationship might actually develop into something. Though Leonard realized that Penny was drunk and so wasn't necessarily making a clear decision in kissing him, still he was already invested in wanting the relationship to develop.

WIth Amy and Sheldon, Amy seems to be interested in flirting with Sheldon, but of course this is while they're still in their mutually agreed upon boy/friend/girl/friend phase. Yes, she's drunk when she kisses him and while he doesn't actually resist, he certainly doesn't get all gooey and romantic about it. Though he's somehow "fascinated", he still apparently files it away under alcohol-induced bad judgement and the next day suggested that they essentially pretend that the night before never happened, returning to their platonic friend status. Her kiss didn't spark any romantic notion in him (at least, none that he desired or acknowledged or was hoping for) and didn't really alter their relationship at all.

In a broad sense

It gave the us the hope that some day Penny will be interseted in Leonard(although there were hints before also :p) and Sheldon will be interested in Amy ( Beverly kissed him before but this was different, he did not seem to resist this)

Yes, but far differently, at least as far as we can tell from Sheldon's point of view.

Leonard was smitten and wanted a romantic/sexual relationship to develop almost from the get-go. He was already talking about it while she was borrowing their shower and of course made his "our babies..." declaration by the end of that episode.

Sheldon, on the other hand, saw Amy as a kindred spirit in terms of her pragmatic, hands-off approach to their relationship. He wasn't seeking love or sex and neither was she and he liked that. But he wasn't setting his sights on her as a potential girlfriend and fought hard to insist that she was not his girlfriend. Now, whether or not he may have had more attraction to her than he realized is the big question that pervaded their early platonic relationship, but that was never part of the equation for Leonard and Penny.

Well, Sheldon also mentioned that he wants "babies/children" with Amy in season 4 premier...yeah yeah yeah he also said that "Why on earth would he have sex".

My point again was that the idea was similar

I don't know that I remember Leonard's very clearly, but I think that what can be said in general about Leonard in relation to Penny is that he's always knows that he wanted to be with her, that he was in love with her in some fashion.

I think that Sheldon wasn't always aware that he was jealous or maybe didn't know exactly why or what he needed or wanted to do. Even when he finally went to ask Amy to be his girlfriend he was kind of embarassed to have to actually come out and say it. He could barely articulate what it was about Amy being with Stuart that bothered him, and then even when he did ask her to be his girlfriend, it wasn't because he wanted to hop in the sack with her the way Leonard always has wanted with Penny. Sheldon had to come up with the Relationship Agreement in order to hem in their relationship and keep it essentially the same as their previous relationship with a handful of exceptions, which didn't even, at first, at least, including romantic handholding.

I was referring to episode where Leonard yells at Penny for going out with that tall Physicist :)

Regarding Sheldon asking Amy to be his girlfriend.... It was clearly implied that he did not want other people to hop in the sack with Amy ( Leonard-karate chop , stuart('may or may-not have intercourse tonight'))... I don't know if he wanted to hop in the sack with Amy or not but my point was clearly implied

Well, it's much less complicated to use Stuart than to use one of the other guys or to bring in some random guy off the street (although there was plenty of that at one point for Penny.)

I think that in Leonard's case, Stuart's dates with Penny didn't really cause Leonard to do anything different other than to realize that Penny still had Leonard on her mind.

In Sheldon's case, the dates with Stuart prompted him to take action, but in some ways didn't really change Sheldon's behavior toward Amy. It led him to do something unprecedented, and that was to stake a claim on her, but at first, at least, it didn't actually change much in his attitude toward Amy.

Again my point was that this whole Stuart scenario was used to prove that Penny subconsciously wanted to be with Leonard and Sheldon subconsciously wanted to be with Amy

I agree with this, except that I don't know that Sheldon exactly initiated the girlfriend/boyfriend aspect of their relationship in the same way that Penny initiated the L/P relationship. I think that Amy probably knew very well what she was doing in accepting the dates with Stuart. I don't know that she really cared about dating Stuart, but she certainly was interested in prompting Sheldon to take a step forward. Amy has a plan...

Sheldon was essentially backed into changing their relationship paradigm because he was faced with the idea that Amy could end up developing romantic feelings for other guys (Stuart or anyone else) and he had to face the fact that he wanted her for himself.

Penny wasn't faced with the idea of Leonard dating anyone else, but found that the idea of not having him around every day struck her harder than she probably had cared to admit.

And of course, Penny's approach to missing Leonard was very different than Sheldon's approach to the idea of losing Amy.

Now, Leonard and Amy do push Penny and Sheldon forward, but the reasons that Penny and Sheldon need pushing are very different.

I do not agree with the bolded part..... I too don't know who much she cared about dating Stuart ( althought she mentioned that something scientific about Stuart was hot :p).... but I don't think Amy had a plan or that she was interested in prompting Sheldon to take a step forward...It was never implied in the show...and she clearly was surprised to see Sheldon at the movie....

For me to agree with something related to fictional characters-- it either has to be shown in the show and has to implied in some other way---and I don't think neither of the them were done --- anyway this is how I tend to analyze things

Anyways my point was is that it is kind of ironic that L\A have to push P\S forward, because generally we would assume that the ones who started their relationship would be the ones doing this pushing business

I think that Penny knows how to show her feelings, she just won't come out and say the words.

Sheldon may be touch phobic, but his reluctance goes a bit deeper, in that he has been reluctant to deal with his feelings in general ("I'm a scientist, not a hippie!") and I think that he has had trouble even understanding exactly what he feels when it comes to Amy. I think he's gotten a lot better, but he still has trouble with all that squishy emotional stuff.

Again same old , same old .... The idea is similar :p

Lastly I wish I had this much patience while writing my exams , I'm sure as hell I would've got better grades :p

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

Well Thank you :)

L\P relationship - 5+ years

S\A relationship - 2+ years

So obviously the writers had to streeeeeeeccccccch the L\P relationship as far as possible :p

I know Amy and Sheldon had their two year anniversary but Sheldon is counting that from when they first meet not from when they officially started dating. They became girlfriend/boyfriend in episode 5.10, that is only one year ago but have knew each other a year before this.

Edited by Moonbase

penny is nice to howard and sheldon,she as

punch both of them in face or nose-starting to

grow up a bit, thank to leonard

berine-could not wait to get howard out of the

house,then first time gives in to him.

will penny be working at the cheesecake factory by

season end,she is bad @her job-plus going to

school now?

• Like 1

Penny's acting career is going to take off, introducing additional tension to a fragile relationship. Money, fame, relocation? Say it ain't so Joe!

I know TPTB have mentioned maybe giving her some movement on her acting career, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to mean that she's going to suddenly be a movie star, etc. and start hanging out with the beautiful people or anything.

Just as none of the guys is going to win a Nobel Prize until maybe the very end of the series, Penny's career will probably be full of ups and downs, if TPTB decide to take her out of the Cheesecake Factory.

But it's not going to be a major upheaval. It doesn't make sense to mess with their premise that much.

also i wonder how hard it must be to act acting because Jim did it very well with Sheldon being all stiff and very unnatural talking to the camera

Jim does EVERYTHING well!  It's not right...some people hog all the talent in the world and there's none left over for average schmos like me.  :)

also i wonder how hard it must be to act acting because Jim did it very well with Sheldon being all stiff and very unnatural talking to the camera

He did it remarkably both times on Fun with Flags. I imagine it can't be easy being a good actor playing a bad actor!

Also, his drunk body language was perfect in the Wheaton scene.

I rated this excellent as I LOVED Sheldon drunk ( Jim was awesome in his acting! )

As I am behind on my to watch list, so I only saw it for the 1st time yesterday & just watched again as it was soo funny!

The invisible cow milking remark had me floored as did the losing count in knocking & remembering it again mid sentence. His expressions body & face wise was great. 

The H/B interaction was nice, but sometimes I wished Howard would grow a spine in the relationship with his mother....

I think Amy had every right to react the way she did, well played by Mayim.

Re the relationship with Wheaton is something I wrote about when all of a sudden he was best buds with Sheldon...I still keep an eye out for some backward sarcastic way it will come & haunt Sheldon as Wheaton planned it to get back at him for something...but that is my own opinion!

At the beginning of the FWF episode, Sheldon states Wil Wheaton is "the only guy I know lucky enough to be immortalized in one sixteenth scale".

However, previously, in The Russian Rocket Reaction, Brent Spiner offers him a Mr Data doll.