When Mrs. Hofstadter Kissed Sheldon...

Okay, I tried to find a thread that might have addressed this moment, and though I figured it might have been discussed in the episode threads, I find that most of that discussion is deadsville for older seasons.

So I thought I'd bring it up here.

I know that there's a clip from ComicCon 2011 where a young girl asks the question about whether or not the kiss with Mrs. H "counted", etc., and that's fun, but what I really was wondering was if the actual kiss moment was ever discussed.

The thing I noticed first is that Christine Baranski grabbed JP and litterally smacked into his mouth--if I didn't know better I would thought that one of them was going to come away with a broken tooth. It looked like it must have hurt!

Any thoughts?

I did love the stunned look/reaction from Sheldon and I think it's a funny moment, but I was just wondering about the physical reality of it.

Ouch!!

Okay, I tried to find a thread that might have addressed this moment, and though I figured it might have been discussed in the episode threads, I find that most of that discussion is deadsville for older seasons.

So I thought I'd bring it up here.

I know that there's a clip from ComicCon 2011 where a young girl asks the question about whether or not the kiss with Mrs. H "counted", etc., and that's fun, but what I really was wondering was if the actual kiss moment was ever discussed.

The thing I noticed first is that Christine Baranski grabbed JP and litterally smacked into his mouth--if I didn't know better I would thought that one of them was going to come away with a broken tooth. It looked like it must have hurt!

Any thoughts?

I did love the stunned look/reaction from Sheldon and I think it's a funny moment, but I was just wondering about the physical reality of it.

Ouch!!

When ever I see that kiss the first thing I think of is "that's got to hurt".

It's from "The Maternal Congruence", season 3-11, and it's one of my favorite episodes and I think one of the most important of the series. They establish what sort of woman would be attracted to Sheldon Cooper: a sexually repressed, over-intellectual, arrogantly self-confident and completely condescending in her conversation with other people, academic. Her opinion was always stated as fact and everyone but Sheldon would be viewed as inferior beings. And she would have to be a Brain scientist. Dr Beverly Hofstadter was cloned by the writers into Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler. They are the only two women who have kissed Sheldon with romantic intent. And each woman had a negative reaction after the first kiss.

Like Beverly, Amy found Penny initially to be a pretty but vapid dunce, then came to like the fact that Penny could lower their inhibitions, by introducing them to alcohol, of course. Beverly left the episode thinking of Penny as a likable creature who Leonard should keep as a sex toy. Later in season five, Sheldon says that Beverly wrote a book and implies that Penny is a "good-natured simpleton". Amy after getting to know Penny now sees her as a good asset in remaking herself into a desirable woman, though she still be musingly excepts Penny's intellectual limitations.

Beverly and Amy still find Leonard disappointing compared to their ideal man, Sheldon.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the two women meet for the first time.

Edited by BangerMain

When ever I see that kiss the first thing I think of is "that's got to hurt".

It's from "The Maternal Congruence", season 3-11, and it's one of my favorite episodes and I think one of the most important of the series. They establish what sort of woman would be attracted to Sheldon Cooper: a sexually repressed, over-intellectual, arrogantly self-confident and completely condescending in her conversation with other people, academic. Her opinion was always stated as fact and everyone but Sheldon would be viewed as inferior beings. Dr Beverly Hofstadter was cloned by the writers into Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler. They are the only two women who have kissed Sheldon with romantic intent. And each woman had a negative reaction after the first kiss.

Like Beverly, Amy found Penny initially to be a pretty but vapid dunce, then came to like the fact that Penny could lower her inhibitions, by introducing them to alcohol, of course. Beverly left the episode thinking of Penny as a likable creature who Leonard should keep as a sex toy. Amy after getting to know Penny now sees her as a good asset in remaking herself into a desirable woman, though she still be musingly excepts Penny's intellectual limitations.

Beverly and Amy still find Leonard disappointing compared to their ideal man, Sheldon.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the two women meet for the first time.

I don't think that Amy had a negative reaction to kissing Sheldon. The only reason she went to throw up was that she was drunk. I think she liked it. And I think he didn't mind and didn't look nearly as stunned as he did with Mrs. Hofstadter.

I don't know that they were consciously laying any kind of groundwork concerning the kind of woman that would be attracted to him, or the kind of woman he would be attracted to, at least, not in terms of any long-term direction.

I think that the first introduction of Mrs. H had more to do with A) showing what kind of miserable childhood Leonard might have had, and B) offering a juxtaposition of the two mothers--and the contrasts between their two sons.

I just think that big ol' smack was pretty funny. I'm surprised someone didn't end up with a fat lip!

Has Jim ever talked about that moment at any length?

I don't think that Amy had a negative reaction to kissing Sheldon. The only reason she went to throw up was that she was drunk. I think she liked it. And I think he didn't mind and didn't look nearly as stunned as he did with Mrs. Hofstadter.

I don't know that they were consciously laying any kind of groundwork concerning the kind of woman that would be attracted to him, or the kind of woman he would be attracted to, at least, not in terms of any long-term direction.

I think that the first introduction of Mrs. H had more to do with A) showing what kind of miserable childhood Leonard might have had, and B) offering a juxtaposition of the two mothers--and the contrasts between their two sons.

I just think that big ol' smack was pretty funny. I'm surprised someone didn't end up with a fat lip!

Has Jim ever talked about that moment at any length?

I have not found anything about Jim's comment about "the Kiss" but I'll keep looking. There was a big deal made of it in December of 2009 and Christine Baranski talked about it in interviews a lot. I want to know if she hurt Jim. :icon_wink:

The similarities between Beverly and Amy was no accident. The biggest give away is their Neuroscience professions. Beverly even kept in touch with Sheldon via text and video chats like Amy did in the beginning. They made them so much alike I feel the writers just got lazy. They even had them kiss Sheldon after Penny got them drunk. You are right that Amy's reaction was not negative, she just could not hold her liquor. Fortunately, they had Beverly's reaction to be one of disappointment. A romantic relationship between Leonard's roommate and mother would have been distasteful for a family comedy.

There are a lot of fans waiting for the meeting between Amy and Beverly wondering how this will be handled. I think that Amy would look up to Beverly as a role model of her profession. Sheldon, Penny and Beverly are the only ones who know of the kiss and they swore to tell no one about it. Oddly, Sheldon has kept this secret from Leonard.

Edited by BangerMain

Leonard's mother is probably a better match for Sheldon than Amy is. It's a bit Mrs Robinson and probably would have put Leonard back in therapy, but I remembering thinking at the time we were unlikely to see a better candidate. But then she preferred the busboy. :icon_lol:

• Like 3

Leonard's mother is probably a better match for Sheldon than Amy is. It's a bit Mrs Robinson and probably would have put Leonard back in therapy, but I remembering thinking at the time we were unlikely to see a better candidate. But then she preferred the busboy. :icon_lol:

Oh Yeah! :icon_lol:

It would have put Leonard and Penny in therapy to have their two biggest tormentors as a couple.

Actually, when I was not much a shamy fan yet, I liked the idea of Sheldon and Beverly because they seem to be compatible because she seems to get along with him and actually sort of like him. Only that I realized it is weird if they got together. It would be hell for Leonard and Penny.

Actually, I thought them making Amy a neurobiologist was because of the actress herself? But yeah, I did notice how so much alike were the two women.

I really enjoy when Beverley is in an episode, I love that her and Sheldon keep in touch, perhaps in the future it could be an issue for Amy/Sheldon along with Amy's engagement.

Maybe in the future we might learn that she actually was Sheldon's first girlfriend he just failed to mention it. [kidding]

Looks like JP/Sheldon is kissing back, his lips are pucked up lol, did look a bit painful.

..I had a dream about Sheldon last night, and it is so annoying! :icon_eek: because I just manage to get over dreaming about him.*whistle* ....Its weird because I love Sheldon but find JP attractive lol... do you know... *tut*

It was probably because I was thinking about that great fan fiction someone did .. it was some on here, might even be you.. the one about Shamy and the pillow and rocket dream ;)

Edited by LoveShamy

Looks like JP/Sheldon is kissing back, his lips are pucked up lol, did look a bit painful.

..I had a dream about Sheldon last night, and it is so annoying! :icon_eek: because I just manage to get over dreaming about him.*whistle* ....Its weird because I love Sheldon but find JP attractive lol... do you know... *tut*

It was probably because I was thinking about that great fan fiction someone did .. it was some on here, might even be you.. the one about Shamy and the pillow and rocket dream ;)

Yeah, that was me... ;)

As for JP/Sheldon kissing her back, it looked to me like JP was puckered up to keep from having his teeth knocked out. :p

• Like 1