The Koothrapoli's Are Vastly Wealthy...

I was randomly thinking: shouldn't everyone have figured this out long before a mustached Sheldon told them? LOL.

Well, at least Howard and Leonard were there when Raj mentioned his family had servants in India in an earlier season so they should have known, I would think.

Discuss if you're in the mood. LOL

Monique

They must have known Raj's parents were comfortable but I don't think they suspected they were seriously wealthy. You really wouldn't expect a gynecologist to be, as Sheldon put it… between Bruce Wayne and Scrooge McDuck.

And the moustache…no?

684b282ae74811e199a722000a1e882b_7.jpg

I was randomly thinking: shouldn't everyone have figured this out long before a mustached Sheldon told them? LOL.

Well, at least Howard and Leonard were there when Raj mentioned his family had servants in India in an earlier season so they should have known, I would think.

Discuss if you're in the mood. LOL

Monique

Having lived in S E Asia I might set the record straight about House servants. Many middle class families have live in House boys or Maids etc. There is a huge population of uneducated, unskilled labor. Even the more affluent might not have a Washing Machine because labor to come to their home and hand wash clothes is so cheap.

What the Tip off is. Raj and his sister are both highly educated in 1st world country's top universities. They both have Graduate Degrees etc that had to of cost 6 figures each.

I corroborate what Fruit Loop says. Many families have house servants here, some of them (of the rich but not richie-rich rich class) more than one.

Lol, Sheldon did look - different, with a mustache. :p

They may not have ever really thought about just how much money the Koothrappalis have, since all of the guys have advanced degrees like Raj and Priya, and so do many of their colleagues at CalTech, however they may have paid for them.

where did you get the mustache pic from? hysterical :icon_razz: Sheldon is channeling the '70's

to me the giveaway were Raj and Priya's oh so elegant British accents.

It's from the episode where Sheldon was using the D&D dice to make all of his decisions, including how much of his face to shave.

where did you get the mustache pic from? hysterical :icon_razz: Sheldon is channeling the '70's

to me the giveaway were Raj and Priya's oh so elegant British accents.

British accents? :icon_lol: they don't sound even slightly British to my ear but I've seen a couple of Americans write that they can hear it.

Raj's accent sounds quite Indian to me. Priya's is somewhat British, probably because the actress herself is from the UK.

Sure sounds like the Patel's to me.

Patel as a last name in India is like Smith or Jones in America.

Hmm, in one part of India, at least! They are very common in the UK though, since they represent the affluent business class of West India, many of whom go abroad to the UK ( or even the US) and settle there.

British accents? :icon_lol: they don't sound even slightly British to my ear but I've seen a couple of Americans write that they can hear it.

Where are you from?

Priya definitely has an accent. Raj's accent is less British, perhaps, but it definitely has some British color to it. I've heard Indians speak English without a British accent--either very American or very Indian sounding, depending on where they went to school, etc.

Didn't Kunal Nayyer also go to school in the UK for a time?

Here at my office we have several Indian men and women, a few of which seem to be on the same work schedule as me since I ride up on the elevator with them pretty often. And I have an Indian doctor (Dr. PATEL!) and his accent is definitly more Americanized. I don't know where he went to school or anything, but he's been here for many years.

Where are you from?

Priya definitely has an accent. Raj's accent is less British, perhaps, but it definitely has some British color to it. I've heard Indians speak English without a British accent--either very American or very Indian sounding, depending on where they went to school, etc.

Didn't Kunal Nayyer also go to school in the UK for a time?

Here at my office we have several Indian men and women, a few of which seem to be on the same work schedule as me since I ride up on the elevator with them pretty often. And I have an Indian doctor (Dr. PATEL!) and his accent is definitly more Americanized. I don't know where he went to school or anything, but he's been here for many years.

If Kunal lived in the UK I can't really hear it in his accent but maybe that's because I'm predominately a Londoner and he sounds how I expect him too. Priya sounds more anglicised then Raj but Aarti Mann is an American. I think maybe they are putting on indian anglicised accents? I have no idea what an indian/american accent would be like.

She is stunning…

MV5BMTUyMzgxMDIzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQ5MzUwNw@@._V1._SY314_CR10,0,214,314_.jpg

Edited by Moonbase

Moonbase, I think that's it, Raj sounds so normal to you, Kunal is British by birth so maybe he gets his accent from his parents too. You can hear the difference in Raj's vowels, more ah sound than nasal American. Indian last names are so interesting. Patel, Shah (know lots of Shahs so many are Jains) they can tell you region like Patel, Ray is Bengali. Raj's last name indicates he's from the South; my favorite culinary spot on this earth:) And Aarti Mann is a total goddess :icon_biggrin:

I just checked, Aarti Mann does indeed belong to the US. Somehow when I saw her bio earlier I missed the New in New England, so I thought she's British. :p

Kunal was born in London, but lived most of his life in New Delhi, moving to the US only for college. His accent in real life strikes me as quite American, but Raj is more Indianized, which I think is intentional.

I guess how much of the accent someone picks up in the US depends on how long they've been there, and also their individual capacity for learning and modifying language.

Moonbase, I think that's it, Raj sounds so normal to you, Kunal is British by birth so maybe he gets his accent from his parents too. You can hear the difference in Raj's vowels, more ah sound than nasal American. Indian last names are so interesting. Patel, Shah (know lots of Shahs so many are Jains) they can tell you region like Patel, Ray is Bengali. Raj's last name indicates he's from the South; my favorite culinary spot on this earth:) And Aarti Mann is a total goddess :icon_biggrin:

Incidentally, her married last name Mann is from Punjab (North-West India), but her maiden name is Majumdar so she's Bengali by birth (like me). Yes, India is colorful. :p

My knowledge of India is fairly limited but I hear its diverse.

They both must has americany accents because Kunal didn't grow up in the UK. I don't think there has been any english on the show either, except Steven Hawking. But he sounds kind of american because of that gadget he uses. Which I find funny (the american accent not the gadget of course)

Edited by Moonbase

thanks Phantagrae, I loved that episode with the dice; and 70's Sheldon, too funny.

Pomita, I know Aarti Mann is Indian-American, but is it usual to marry someone from a different state/culture. As Bengal and Punjab are different.