89 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I hadn't realized I hid my feelings so well! Lol! :)

Actually what I was saying is that "now I see where all the rage is coming from." I finally have a basis.

Hehe. I won't really judge those who judge us Shamy/Amy lovers the hardest that much. You know that. ;) Kidding.

As a relatively casual viewer (always watch, but my life isn't impacted) I like and enjoy both A/S and P/L as couples and have few complaints with the writing. I thought Penny's "L" bomb was very effectively dropped in this ep and enjoyed Leonard not getting that he was being hit on. His insecurity and lack of self worth is one of the major problems in the P/L relationship. He needs to value himself, and maybe this is the beginning of that arc for him. If so, kudos to the writers.

Though I like Howard, I feel the "move out from your mom" thing has been worn out, and I'd rather see Howard and Raj together (not as a gay couple but as friends) because the dynamic is more interesting.

I think that one reason that Sheldon and S/A are so prominent is that the characters can be made to do almost anything kind of over-the-top or crazy. Even before Amy came along, Sheldon was always being put in these crazy circumstances because all of his quirks and rules and hang-ups and social ineptitudes could be used to put him into all kinds of comic situations. Then Amy being another kind of odd-ball character and putting the two of them together in their odd-ball relationship, there's even more fodder for laughs.

I think that with L/P, they're the most "normal" of all the characters and their relationship followed a more "normal" arc. They got to be sweet, romantic, angry, frustrated, lonely, confused, etc., which runs along the lines of more normal storylines. Whatever situatilns L and P may get into, either on their own or together, they're always going to be a little more down-to-earth.

While I love the idea of L/P and S/A being together, I'm not bothered by whatever speedbumps either couple may encounter along the way (though I don't think I'd buy it if they ever tried to have Sheldon falling for some other girl--I could see maybe some other girl, like that Nowitzki character, maybe crushing on him for whatever reason, but I don't think Sheldon would respond.)

I see it as standard TV writing--you can't have the romantic payoff without the stumbling block first--and I believe that the writers want the two couples to be together in the long run, so they won't be destroying anything.

So, I don't mind if one couple or the other (or Howard and Bernadette, either) gets any kind of attention or not. I know that in the end it will all be okay. :)

• Like 3

I agree in that I don't think S/A is now the lead couple but instead they are the crazy couple. The writers can do a lot more outlandish things with them that would not work with L/P. The L/P relationship has always been treated as a romance while the S/A relationship is the freakish mating of two unusual characters. Howard said it all when Sheldon and Amy met, "What have we done?".

I agree with the last point. L/P has been and remains the normal, (relatively) serious, 'bread and butter' romantic relationship on the show. S/A is zany and weird, simply because they both are individually zany and weird, and there is much more comedic potential to be derived from whatever happens between them. Don't get me wrong, I believe S/A has a lot of underlying depth and complexity to it (and some of us could probably write a thesis on this topic) - but on the face of it, they add more principally to the geeky-funny aspect of the show, while L/P adds more principally to the emotional aspect.

• Like 1

I have to say, this is my favorite episode yet! When Penny told Leonard she loved him, I got a huge smile on my face. The "42" reference made me laugh, too. I also really liked the special effects of the worm hole. Definitely the best episode so far. Far exceeded my expectations.

• Like 1

The favorite moment has got to be when Raj faces his head some centimetres away from Howard's face. The look on Howard's face during that scene is hilarious. And of course, the ILY scene was something special... The only negative thing about this episode was the text from Alex right after the ILY, but apart from that: A great episode! Terrific!

God damn, this show is brilliant. The actors and the characters are just soooo uniquely created.

I LOVE IT! MWAHAHAHA!

Edited by Ayebee
  • Like 2

Of course my favorite part was the ILY because I am a big L/P fan. However, I really got a kick out of Alex telling the guys that apparently corduory pants make to much noise. I could just picture Sheldon ranting about that, LOL. Her expression and tone was perfect too, in that, it seemed that she was finally understanding why Leonard had sympathy for her working for Sheldon.

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I absolutely crack up everytime with Raj's: "What I wouldn't give to get her out of her pants... and into something a bit more stylish" LOL. It totally reminds me of a fanfic I read a while ago where Raj gives Amy a makeover against her will hehhe.

I always liked Alex for Raj. But now that they are using her to hit on Leonard I don't see how that could happen. Also, I'm not sure she would fit in well with the other three girls. In addition, with Penny knowing she at least flirted with Leonard she would be always wary of her. To bad because Raj surely needs someone to love.

If they ever got a partner for Raj, she/he would have to be a bit odd or nerdy like Amy and Bernadette. It wouldn't work if it was Alex because then we would have 2 normal female main characters on this show. It would dilute Penny. She is the norm, with Leonard as the crossover normal/nerd.

• Like 3

If they ever got a partner for Raj, she/he would have to be a bit odd or nerdy like Amy and Bernadette. It wouldn't work if it was Alex because then we would have 2 normal female main characters on this show. It would dilute Penny. She is the norm, with Leonard as the crossover normal/nerd.

Excellent point!

Penny's reaction was fantastic. The breaking of the voice, the trembling finger, her expression of shock, fear and vulnerability in the span of seconds was amazing. It is a shame that it was so fleeting. Such a big part of the series is second fiddle to a prank. Boooo, writers should be ashamed. An additional scene of her byherself processing what had happened would have been great. We all know how Loenard feels, it would me nice to have some insight in Penny's internal processing. The series starts with her feeling betrayed by her 4 year relationship with the caveman, is that what spooked her? Or is it based on Slugger's relationship with dear old dad Come on writers, we come for the comedy but stay for the love!

I think Kaley did an amazing job of running through a spectrum of emotions in such a short time. As the scene ended you knew a lot about her and her feelings. Good one beautiful!

• Like 1

I never saw Amy or Bernadette as nerds. They don't seem to be attracted to the things the boys are, Amy doesn't even like Star Trek. I always thought that they were socially repressed, especially Amy, because they are smart and only interact with people like them. The only nerd girl I have seen on the show has been Alice.

• Like 1

Yeah and she was amazing! I used the word nerd but you are right, Amy and Bernadette are not nerds they are geeks. If it had been my choice I would have preferred Sheldon had an honest to goodness proper nerd girlfriend who played games and liked Star Trek. He would be in heaven!

• Like 1

I do agree with you though, a nerd girl in the group would be funny. I think they should keep Alex as a part time character and turn her into sort of a nerd. Maybe later she could be Raj's love interest too.

Penny is the only girl in their group that I have ever heard quote Star Wars or make references to Star Trek, so she has become slightly nerdy, by being so exposed to the guys. Amy and Bernadette don't do that. Amy will do some things to please Sheldon, like play Star Trek doctor, but there is indication she really likes it. Bernadette is the same way. I also agree that science geeks are a better definition for them than nerds.

Argh! could someone explain me clear what is the difference between NERD and GEEK?? Now I am really confused :(

i thought nerds meant smart people and geek meant people into star trek and stuff (STEREOTYPICALLY OF COURSE, BC THATS WHAT THOSE WORDS ARE)

A "nerd" is a person with very high IQ, which probably lowers his social intelligence. A geek, however, is a person who is extremely interested in a specific field, topic or hobby, i.e. (Star Trek, Computers, Football, Tennis, Games etc.) Their interest within this field is waaaay above average, which classifies them as "geeks".

This is how I would classify these terms.

Edited by Ayebee

Going by that definition, they're all nerds besides Penny. Though Bernadette is probably somewhat in-between nerdy and 'norm'.

• Like 1

I don't think just having a High IQ makes you a nerd because, as an example in the space program, after they got rid of all the John Glenn types (test pilots, no disrespect), the new crop of Astronauts had very high IQ's and degrees to match, therefore would you really want to call them "nerds in space"?

I don't think just having a High IQ makes you a nerd because, as an example in the space program, after they got rid of all the John Glenn types (test pilots, no disrespect), the new crop of Astronauts had very high IQ's and degrees to match, therefore would you really want to call them "nerds in space"?

No, I think a high IQ, interest in a technical/scientific field and some degree of social awkwardness all go together in defining a nerd. So the astronauts would not (necessarily) satisfy that description.