• Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Here you go...

Nerd_Dork_Geek_Venn_Diagram.jpg

So I got that wrong, Amy is a dweeb?

Hmm, looks like my assumption a few posts ago looks quite correct then? ^^

Great picture definition. So Amy is a Dweeb, Bernie is a partial Dweeb, and Penny doesn't fit the profiles so she is the cool girl. The guys are full blown nerds.

Wouldn't 'obsession' with her own field of research (to the point of ending a good friendship over it, cue Zazzy Substitution, or carrying around electrodes in her pocket a la Cohabitation Formulation) count? Or maybe obsession with her harp? :) Or does it have to be obsession with sci-fi/comic-books/gaming.

Edited by Pomita

I think that nerd is someone who is socially inept, regardless of IQ. It's sort of being "uncool", for lack of a better word.

A geek is more like someone who is really into a particular interest, thus we say that someone is "geeking out" over something, whether it's Star Trek or hot cars or baseball stats, or whatever.

I would say that Amy is a nerd--she's socially inept.

But I think in many ways she's the perfect girl for Sheldon in that someone just being into Star Trek wouldn't be enough for him in the long run. He needs someone whose intelligence he can respect. And though she may not be into sci fi or comic books, she is interested in things like Fun with Flags and Counterfactuals, MUCH nerdier that Star Trek.

Edited by phantagrae

Does anyone else think that Sheldon's statistics are getting a bit crap these days? Look at his assessment of Leonard's looks being average, so 50% of males must be better looking than him. Everybody knows thats not true. Most people are average looking, really stunning people are a minority.

Does anyone else think that Sheldon's statistics are getting a bit crap these days? Look at his assessment of Leonard's looks being average, so 50% of males must be better looking than him. Everybody knows thats not true. Most people are average looking, really stunning people are a minority.

I think he just meant to say that Leonard is average-looking. :) Which is what is implied on the show, I guess - Johnny isn't, he's quite good-looking - but (like Amy/Mayim), Leonard is purposely done up in a way such that his looks are not the focus.

I have no argument about his actual looks, it's this stats. Most people are average like Leonard, really stunning people are only the top 2% of the population, or so I read in the Metro… so it must be true.

Gawd, the reply function is really messed up. When did that start happening?

I have no argument about his actual looks, it's this stats. Most people are average like Leonard, really stunning people are only the top 2% of the population, or so I read in the Metro… so it must be true.

Gawd, the reply function is really messed up. When did that start happening?

But perhaps his point was that you don't need to look stunning to look better than Leonard, you just need to look better than whatever the median of looks is. :p

I reiterate that, what's going on with the quoting?

But perhaps his point was that you don't need to look stunning to look better than Leonard, you just need to look better than whatever the median of looks is. :p

I reiterate that, what's going on with the quoting?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Which all adds up too, Sheldon is clueless!

I don't like it, I can't tell who I am. Need my lines.  :icon_cheesygrin:

So I just had to walk home from a friends house and found myself thinking about TBBT and the ILY scene in particular.  I know its been discussed at length but i think i found out just what it was that makes this scene work so well.

First off when Leonard admits that the problem is within his head "this is in my head, its not you, I have to work this out."  (Not exact quote but something similar) he is telling penny he has issues when it comes to his relationship securities and how he deals with it.  I think that this is crucial because hes telling her of his vulnerabilities.  Hes afraid, and rightly so after all hes been through.

Second, Penny chased after him to continue the conversation.  Leonard had started to walk away after admitting he needed to work it out.  If she wanted the conversation would have been over and they would have moved on.  Instead she followed him needing to say what she did.  I think this was a subconscious reaction by her character after hearing of Leonard's weakness.  He was scared and her feelings for him wanted to fix that so she said what needed to be said after so long in an attempt to hopefully fix some of the issues they have been having.

I know a lot of this has been mentioned and stuff but i was just thinking about it and how the human brain does act impulsively sometimes based on how you feel about someone.  This is at least what i think was happening.

I think you are exactly fight.  She wanted to comfort him because she does care for him and he was distressed over his insecurity.   

Scurrying in...

As I saw elsewhere posted by a compatriot, Oz has a four day broadcast lag for TBBT. Must be the underwater copper wires, slow pigeons or someone not pedalling fast enough.

Anyway, our local Oz broadcaster decided to "preempt" this episode . No notice, just an apology from that evening's receptionist on the expected night of broadcast (TSR repeat was the sub). Next day I called their programming department. Helpful bloke explained that because of USA Thanksgiving they skipped this episode but will later align schedules after the US holiday. So I waited a week, breathe held, heart racing. Then they "preempted" it again. So two weeks gone. Friendly evening receptionist says sorry, not her fault, but will pass on the sentiment. Next day I called their programming dept to calmly discuss their published broadcast schedule and to confirm they would do what they said on their website and show the Lenny moments and Sheldon wormhole magic in the last week of November. More information released. No new broadcast eps after 6.07 till next ratings season, in the new year. Guy on phone was sorry.

Sometimes it is better not to know than to know. Curse you internets. Ignorance was bliss. I should not have peeked. Now trying to stay pure and maintain old business paradigms to ensure whole media industry does not collapse and fail to produce TBBT s7. Avoiding torrents. But YouTube fragments are unsatisfying. While not high art, TBBT should be consumed as the creatives intended, without visible seams and in the right order.

All of Oz suffers with me (I'm sure on some level, even if only feeling a vague sense of having been slighted, somehow). Except for the millennials, with no qualms about downloads.

But now have mad respect for fan fiction. Well, some of it. Is this what crack is like? I have a job, people.

Warping an Oz sports fan expression, call me a "TBBT tragic".

Deep breaths, starting now.

And scurrying out.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

No big bang next week in the UK :( got to wait till January 10 for this one

though having seen a couple of clips from it already i can wait a little bit

Edited by rachygd

Just seen it, and it was a great episode in my view. One of the top two episodes in the Season for me. It didn't have Amy or Bernadette in, which is what Sheldon would say is "one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence". Or was it?

I really liked the mystery surrounding the room that Sheldon went into, and I liked the ending, although they could have perhaps prolonged the whole mystery to allow it to feature in future episodes.

Yes finally seen all of it and I really liked the 2 story lines and howard and rajs attempt to find out what sheldon was doing, the scene in the canteen where they were watching his video feed was so funny

This was the first TBBT episode I ever watched (I saw it on it's first UK showing) and it's also the episode that made me a fan of the show.

I saw it again as it was repeated on UK TV recently and the episode holds up so well on second watching and even subsequent viewing. It really is one of the funniest episodes TBBT has produced over the years and one of my personal favourites.

Just reminiscing. I thought Alex was good on TBBT. I wonder what the age difference was?

• Like 1

On 7/26/2016 at 7:10 PM, djsurrey said:

Just reminiscing. I thought Alex was good on TBBT. I wonder what the age difference was?

I had a soft spot for Alex, Particularly when she reported Sheldon LOL. I was wondering seeing theri is some science people on this board. I was fasinated by that vortex warp Sheldon created to trick Howard and Raj. Wonder how the show managed that? Was it CGI? And Leonard looks really big their, put on some weight that season. 

Edited by 3ku11