89 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I thought Alex hitting on Leonard when he is talking about his girlfriend was so low class. I liked her before tonight.

Very low class. She has met Penny and she had to notice Penny's reaction to her. I can't figure how the writers are going to use Alex without having Leonard do something out of character. When she makes a move on him Leonard would have to startled and immediately put off by her to remain the same guy we are used to seeing all these years. Especially now, he would be very attuned to Penny's insecurities. She is extremely vulnerable now and Alex would have to become a soap opera bitch to try to take Leonard from her. This is not Melrose Place.

• Like 1

It's really too bad they had to take Alex down this road. She was a likable character.

Edited by DPK

I don't know, I like the way that it was almost subconscious for Penny--internalized to the degree that it just came out in a conversation where it wasn't necessarily her intention to make a big declaration.

I agree that Alex was intentionally hitting on Leonard, which was kind of questionable on her part. I don't know if she was thinking that Leonard was on the outs with Penny, but she'd met Penny before and had to know they were together. If she really wanted to just be a friend to Leonard, she wouldn't have been dropping all those thinly disguised hints about him being hit on (especially because Leonard was right--women don't hit on him.)

But I don't object to the text message at the end. I think that they really were trying to hit a certain tone with the L/P ILY--not too heavy, not too light--and this diffusion of the tension helped.

I don't think that the Lenny shippers have anything to worry about in the long road.

The truth of this episode is that Penny really does love Leonard and she actually said it aloud to him.

That's a very big truth, indeed. :icon_lol:

I, too liked the tone that they set for the ILY. It would just be so unlike Penny to have made a big dramatic gesture of her feelings. They showed her as being frightened by the whole statement and told Leonard not to talk about it for fear she would get emotional.

One thing that is a long time dichotomy on TBBT is Leonard's supposed unattractiveness to women. That's the way the character sees himself and others talk about it like it is accepted as fact. But like Penny's sluttiness, we are told one thing and shown another:

Here's the list of women who have initiated relationships with Leonard:

- Leslie (who rejected him at first then decided she wanted to marry him)

- Stephanie (who was Howard's date, then moved in with him)

- Dr. Elizabeth Plimpton (Sheldon's friend, who came into his bedroom and did a striptease)

- The rich "grant" patron (she saw him at a fund raiser and decided she wanted some of that)

- Priya (who dified her brother to be with him)

- Alice (The comic book store girl, who wrote her number on his hand minutes after meeting him)

- Alex (who appears ready to offer the first direct threat to Penny, unthinkable)

Leonard stands around and some woman with something going for them "picks him up" and he still is clueless as to how it happens.

Our boy is really a major player. He just doesn't know it. :icon_wink:

Edited by BangerMain

Great episode. So glad Penny finally let it out because our precious and insecure Leonard needed to hear it :-). LOL. It was a sweet scene. Raj & Howard were great....I laughed out loud when Raj puts his ear on the door facing Howard and he's close enough to kiss him. LOL! Sheldon pranking them was hilarious. LOL.

Monique

• Like 2

It's funny you say that about Alex cause she was really subtle about it.

Someone on fanforum said the following and I agree. You also know i'm a huge Lenny fan and i wasnt bothered. Here's what the poster said..

"I also liked Alex, because it was played as her smitten by him and not being able to help it, not bitchy or "homewrecker" style."

I agree 100% with that. It was played as her smitten.

Well I have seen some Big Bang Theory episodes that were very predictable but funny. I wouldn't say this was one of the funniest episodes I ever saw, and thankfully it wasn't all very predictable but it was GREAT!

It is funny though after reading all the conversations here and wondering when and how the ILY would come out of Penny's mouth. I'm sure many of us was expecting some big built up romantic moment but the way it was played off really caught me off guard, and I love the way it even caught Penny off guard. She had a such frightened look in here face, thinking like "What did I just say???"

The prank from Sheldon was awesome although I did feel a bit let down that the wormhole experiment wasn't real. For a moment I thought we might be having my 2 of my favorite TV shows combined into one...The Big Bang Theory and Sliders, LOL.

All on all it was great to see the show pretty much back to the basics as it was focused on the original 5 main cast members. And Alex was great too. Hopefully her comments to Leonard will make him believe more in his self image

Edited by Grasshopper

It's funny you say that about Alex cause she was really subtle about it.

Someone on fanforum said the following and I agree. You also know i'm a huge Lenny fan and i wasnt bothered. Here's what the poster said..

"I also liked Alex, because it was played as her smitten by him and not being able to help it, not bitchy or "homewrecker" style."

I agree 100% with that. It was played as her smitten.

I can see where both u and the OP are coming from and I agree she wasn't really coming off as trying to break up the relationship, I think what is off putting about the whole ordeal is how everything with Alex happened right around the time as the ILY which of course was a monumental moment in their relationship

And personally I do wish the text came a bit later instead of right after

Edited by C-Trayne

I disagree with the notion that Alex was being subtle. It's not that she was subtle, it was that Leonard was simply dense about the fact that this attractive female scientist was blantantly coming on to him.

What makes it bad is that she shouldn't have been coming on to him at all. She knew he had a girlfriend and she knew that he was having some issues with going on with the relationship. In that scenario you don't start hitting on the guy. Any normal guy with any amount of self confidence would have recognized the flirting and come ons for what they were but Leonard is dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff.

• Like 1

I am so glad I don't read spoilers or taping reports, I only saw promo for this episode and they made it seem like it was all about Sheldon with Raj and Howard trying to find out his secret which I assumed would be funny, but come to find out even more EPIC thing happens! Penny finally told Leonard I LOVE YOU!!! I had to rewind that part about 43 times lol. I love how it just came out like she really didn't mean to say it but once she realized she did she couldn't deny it and start to tear up because it was like she was finally faced with the TRUTH!! I hope now that Leonard has actually heard her say it he'll ease up on the jealousy nonsense and act like a big boy.

He obviously had his doubts because she never actually said it outloud before and often acts like she's not totally sure if she wants to be in love with him, but she finally admitted it and with no push from Leonard to say it or Raj lol. I LOVED IT!! Oh and can this finally put the nail in coffin to SHenny fans who think penny harbors secret feelings for Sheldon and only dates Leonard so she can hang around Sheldon more! Pssh! I always knew that was total baloney, but now its totally official that Penny LOVES Leonard and has for a long time, she just never could get the words out.

As for Alex I really hope they don't let her or Tom get in between LENNY now I was starting to get tired of them, but now I'm totally back on the LENNY TRAIN! again! Woot! Woot! lol I'd much rather they hook Alex up with Raj I mean its totally unfair to keep leaving him lonely and without a girlfriend when all three of his buddies have main stars as girlfriends and their relationships are growing more and more each season. Raj is still hoplessly alone that is just cruel.

Alex hasn't be able to talk to Raj like she has to Leonard so she doesn't even know what a great funny guy Raj can be too. Leonard loves Penny and always will so the writers using Alex just to make Penny feel jealous is a waste of her character if you ask me. They should have her keep trying to hit on Leonard than have Penny tell her to back off and then maybe have Raj show up to SHeldon's office to talk to Sheldon and run into Alex alone and be forced to find away to communicate with her even if it was just through text messaging or by writing on SHeldon's white board. MAKE IT FUN! :icon_razz:

Also are there any other Alpha fans in the house??? I love Gary on Alphas he is my favorite character on that show the way Sheldon is my favorite character on BBT! and seeing Ryan Cartwright as Tom in tonight's episode was cool. Gary actually does have autism on that show and was written in as an autistic character Ryan does an excellent job IMO playing the rolle and its great to watch him because it makes me realize how Sheldon all though he has his difficulties understanding sarcasam or feigning interest in others JP is definitely never played Sheldon as autistic ever an if you watch Gary you can clearly see how an actor can play an autistic character and how its different from Sheldon

Sure there are a few similarities between Gary and Sheldon, but they are also very very different and of course the tv shows are also very different with one being a sitcom and the other a sci fi drama. But I've always thought that Sheldon would probably like Alphas if he ever watched it and probably could relate to Gary's character a bit. So its cool surprise to see actor guest star on BBT it means producers must have seen his work on there. I hope we get a mention from Sheldon of Alphas tv show in the future that would be fun too. :icon_mrgreen:

I love that Sheldon's secret turned out to be something totally innocent and realistic. I like that they are really portraying Sheldon more and more like a normal human being with feelings, emotions and desire to play hackey sac lol cause Sheldon is not a Robot and he does need to time to himself to relax so Raj and Howard should learn to respect his privacy. But I got say it was very funny and cute watching them try to figure it out and even I was getting super curious to know the truth there by the end. :fi_lone_ranger:

Great episode I'm sure I will watch this one many more times and I can't stop watching the BBT flash mob which was also really great.

Oh one more thing I'm still surprised after Sheldon finally pranked Raj and Howard that he didn't say BAZINGA! And come to think of it I don't think he has said it once this season yet ...hmmmm?? I wonder if the writers are getting tired of using it already. But then he did just use it for the flashmob video so maybe they just want this moment to be that one of those "I thought the BAZINGA was implied" moments as Sheldon would say lol

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 1

BEST EPISODE OF THIS SEASON!!! JUST LIKE OLD TIMES AGAIN

I loved this episode, I truly found myself laughing out loud - something I haven't done for the last couple of Season 6 episodes.

The Howard-Raj duo was fantastic! Howard especially was hilarious this episode -calling Sheldon "a silly doodle bug," his reaction to Raj putting his ear on the door :D :D Raj was funny too - when he wanted to see the bunny pooping everywhere haha.

I'm relieved to finally hear Penny say that she loves Leonard. It was cute. Leonard was pretty funny with Alex. The way he laughed off Alex's comments about women hitting on him and calling her "a friendly girl." :)

WE NEED MORE EPISODES LIKE THIS, really really funny.

I agree with everyone that this was a classic episode just like from seasons 1-3. The Penny-Leonard was also their classic dysfunctional relationship and I loved the Leonard-Sheldon badinage 'there are 50% more attractive men than you..' There was science, great Raj-Howard, pranks... so much fun. Interestingly I never realized how grating Amy is, until she wasn't in this episode. What a relief. Or perhaps I should say this season's version of Amy.

Really enjoyed this one...Great episode....Each of the 5 characters shone in this..

I also enjoyed the fact that A\B were not in this was(not because I don't like them) but because it increased the length of the individual scenes and also it increased the screen time for Raj and especially R\H....I always felt that his character his character suffered due to addition of A\B

They need to do episodes like this more often :)

L\P "ILY" scene was very sweet, in character and really well acted by Johnny and Kaley.... Great Job :) :)

As Leonard got the ILY ..... no more insecurity and jealousy from his side pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

One thing I did not understand : Penny felt the exact same way in Alex's first episode,the way Leonard felt in this episode...she got jealous, insecure.....does'nt tell Alex that Leonard is her boyfriend.....she did not want Alex to "work" with him.....even though she knew how Leonard felt about her..... So her reaction seemed a little odd...

Anyway the ILY settled the score for me :D ... I am very happy :)

I want to not like Alex's character in this episode...but Margo is really making it tough for me to not like :p ..... She was literally glowing in her scene with Leonard ( As Raj would say : Her eyes were shimmering like the opalescent lilies in the lake of the palace of the celestial maidens :p)....I want more Margo....Ok,Ok...I do not want a new character added to the show as there are already too many for a 20 min sitcom..

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

Loved, loved, loved this episode, just like a flash back to season 3. This is how it should be. I like Bernadette and Amy, but this is how it could be. There is nothing in this episode that I do not like. Back to Howard and Raj bromance, Leonard and Penny the ILY was so nicely played, and Sheldon's speech about his not fitting in, and that he was one step ahead of them.

Really enjoyed this one...Great episode....Each of the 5 characters shone in this..

I also enjoyed the fact that A\B were not in this was(not because I don't like them) but it increased the screen time for Raj and especially R\H....I always felt that his character his character suffered due to addition of A\B

They need to do episodes like this more often :)

100% agree, every 4 or 5 episodes, leave Amy and Bernadette out.

I was so excited for this to finally air because I was at the taping and this is my favorite of the entire season so far as I know it (up to 6.10).

As much as I absolutely adore Amy and love Bernadette, it was really refreshing not seeing them. If someone who didn't watch the new seasons of TBBT watched this episode, they wouldn't know any better and would think it's a season 3 re-run, and that's what I loved about it.

Well played by everyone! Bravo, writers.

For me it's not a matter of leaving Amy and/or Bernadette out for the sake of the others or to recapture "the good old days" or anything like that.

I think it's simply about what stories you want to tell and who those stories are about. In this case the stories were about the guys trying to figure out Sheldon's daily secret, so it revolved around the office, and about Leonard and Penny's relationship so it revolved around them and the two people who could be potential stumbling blocks to each other.

In this case there was no reason to include the other girls, but not because of a need to keep them off-screen for the sake of the others.

At any rate, to me it's not a matter of who's onscreen and who's not--I'm a big Shamy fan, so I like to see the two of them interacting--but simply a matter of whether or not the writing makes sense and if the acting is good and if the story is good and funny, all of which was great this time around.

• Like 7

For me it's not a matter of leaving Amy and/or Bernadette out for the sake of the others or to recapture "the good old days" or anything like that.

I think it's simply about what stories you want to tell and who those stories are about. In this case the stories were about the guys trying to figure out Sheldon's daily secret, so it revolved around the office, and about Leonard and Penny's relationship so it revolved around them and the two people who could be potential stumbling blocks to each other.

In this case there was no reason to include the other girls, but not because of a need to keep them off-screen for the sake of the others.

At any rate, to me it's not a matter of who's onscreen and who's not--I'm a big Shamy fan, so I like to see the two of them interacting--but simply a matter of whether or not the writing makes sense and if the acting is good and if the story is good and funny, all of which was great this time around.

Oh Phanta, let me love you. As always. lol.

• Like 2

One thing I did not understand : Penny felt the exact same way in Alex's first episode,the way Leonard felt in this episode...she got jealous, insecure.....does'nt tell Alex that Leonard is her boyfriend.....she did not want Alex to "work" with him.....even though she knew how Leonard felt about her..... So her reaction seemed a little odd...

Not really, remember from her point of view it's "ok when she does it".

• Like 1

I don't know, I like the way that it was almost subconscious for Penny--internalized to the degree that it just came out in a conversation where it wasn't necessarily her intention to make a big declaration.

I agree that Alex was intentionally hitting on Leonard, which was kind of questionable on her part. I don't know if she was thinking that Leonard was on the outs with Penny, but she'd met Penny before and had to know they were together. If she really wanted to just be a friend to Leonard, she wouldn't have been dropping all those thinly disguised hints about him being hit on (especially because Leonard was right--women don't hit on him.)

But I don't object to the text message at the end. I think that they really were trying to hit a certain tone with the L/P ILY--not too heavy, not too light--and this diffusion of the tension helped.

I don't think that the Lenny shippers have anything to worry about in the long road.

The truth of this episode is that Penny really does love Leonard and she actually said it aloud to him.

I agree with this. The way they have been portraying penny this season, it has been obvious that she still has insecurities and is not ready to tell him straight out. I actually think it was very clever to come out this way and I like the way they did it, and her reaction, and that it wasn't so heavy, and more light-hearted, which makes it less scary for penny.

Oh one more thing I'm still surprised after Sheldon finally pranked Raj and Howard that he didn't say BAZINGA! And come to think of it I don't think he has said it once this season yet ...hmmmm?? I wonder if the writers are getting tired of using it already. But then he did just use it for the flashmob video so maybe they just want this moment to be that one of those "I thought the BAZINGA was implied" moments as Sheldon would say lol

Yeah, I wish he would say it again. He didn't say it much in season 5 (two times I think) and has yet to in season 6. This episode would have been a perfect moment for it.

I thought it was a great episode and thought it was humorous that Leonard was saying that no woman has ever hit on him while at the same time Alex was not so subtly hitting on him. I really expected for Penny to somehow look at Leonard's phone and see the text from Alex and from that gain some understanding about how he felt about her working with the Limey. I do wonder however if the problem might be touched on in a future episode. Penny finds out that Leonard is right and the English guy is hitting on her and she also gets on Leonard's case about Alex hitting on him, although he won't believe that she is.

• Like 1