1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Then what was he doing at the Cheesecake factory? Why did Penny say?:

"Penny: What the hell are you doing? Howard is your best friend, and that is his girlfriend. You should be ashamed of yourself."

This was, coincidentally, AFTER Howard had informed the guys he was planning to ask Bernadette to marry him. Defend Raj all you like. He's cute and tragically sympathetic. But he's also a snake.

I don't remember this scene specifically... probly cause I didn't like season 4 and only watched it like once haha... do u remember what exactly happened or which episode its from and I'll check it out

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know its been mentioned but I just wanna say again that I'm really glad they made Leonard admit his insecurities to penny. When he said "its not you, its all in here (points to head) I need to work

What Penny brings into his life is something that he really hasn't got from any of the other women he's been with...Excitement. Because Penny is different from not only him but from the other women he

For me it's not a matter of leaving Amy and/or Bernadette out for the sake of the others or to recapture "the good old days" or anything like that. I think it's simply about what stories you want to

"To sappy!"? But it is just fine to ruin an ILY with some woman hitting on Leonard right after Penny finally says ILY! REALLY!!! SERIOUSLY!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I don't think anything was ruined. I think that the ILY wasn't a big billboard moment, nor a quiet candlelight moment. She was on her way out the door, he was on his way into his apartment and it took place all of a sudden, with no planning.

And it was played as a sweet, sudden moment, but not even acknowledged with a kiss. They were looking to both break the tone of the moment and lighten the weight of the monumental moment and I think that Alex's text did just that--especially since Leonard was so clueless.

I think that there's plenty of time ahead to explore the implications of what Penny said, but it was a pretty serious moment in what was otherwise a pretty light-hearted episode. It's all about tone and timing.

• Like 3

Have to catch up on some episodes as I had UK vacation, so cannot comment on the episode itself. Just wanted to post something Kunal just tweeted:

Kunal Nayyar@kunalnayyar

Dear fans, thank you, thank you for this. http://bit.ly/QMpuzi #blessed

"The Big Bang Theory" Delivers its Largest Audience Ever for the Second Straight Week and a Season High in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54

http://tvbythenumber..._source=twitter

Edited by Jacks
  • Like 1

I don't remember this scene specifically... probly cause I didn't like season 4 and only watched it like once haha... do u remember what exactly happened or which episode its from and I'll check it out

It's from the Herb Garden Germination, where Sheldon and Amy spread their sex rumor.

I think that at the restaurant Raj is reminding Bernie of a couple of times that they spent a few moments together--something about the two of them hanging out at the movies while Howard was in the restroom barfing up red vines or something. He wasn't asking her out on a date, but he was trying to get her to think about himself.

I don't think anything was ruined. I think that the ILY wasn't a big billboard moment, nor a quiet candlelight moment. She was on her way out the door, he was on his way into his apartment and it took place all of a sudden, with no planning.

And it was played as a sweet, sudden moment, but not even acknowledged with a kiss. They were looking to both break the tone of the moment and lighten the weight of the monumental moment and I think that Alex's text did just that--especially since Leonard was so clueless.

I think that there's plenty of time ahead to explore the implications of what Penny said, but it was a pretty serious moment in what was otherwise a pretty light-hearted episode. It's all about tone and timing.

You are absolutely correct it is about tone and timing. IMO they made a mistake on both counts! The timing of the text was uncalled for and IMO it ruined the tone of the ILY. They only have this moment come once, no matter if they can revisit at some time in the future. The first ILY is the FIRST ILY! There can't be another FIRST. IMO they made a mistake in both "tone" and "timing".

@phantagrae. Oh right right I forgot about that. I guess it was a little bit sleezy on Raj's part but I mean he didn't really try anything ans I can see where he's coming from being the only single guy in the group. Still it was a little low.

On the ILY I agree with u again. I think they are trying to downplay it a little bit the same way L and P are. Yes it was a huge moment but they don't want to turn it into a huge deal. That is def not who penny is as a person

That being said I'm still mad we see no L/P interaction in the next two episodes

@phantagrae. Oh right right I forgot about that. I guess it was a little bit sleezy on Raj's part but I mean he didn't really try anything ans I can see where he's coming from being the only single guy in the group. Still it was a little low.

On the ILY I agree with u again. I think they are trying to downplay it a little bit the same way L and P are. Yes it was a huge moment but they don't want to turn it into a huge deal. That is def not who penny is as a person

C-Tayne, it took a while but I accept how they handled the ILY. What I don't accept is including the Alex text afterwards.

As for Raj, the only reason he didn't try anything with Bernie at the Cheesecake Factory was because Penny told him what a jerk he was. He was sitting there drinking all set to pounce.

Question? The last part of your post, would that be considered a spoiler? I don't know, I'm just wondering. :)

Edited by SodidIwin?

Just watched it, late as usual. It was a very satisfying episode for me, for lack of a better word. A little funny, a little old-school, a few moments that really touched me.. and I really think everyone was near-perfect in their performances and expressions. Also, I didn't miss Amy and Bernie; I love them, but I'm fine with an episode without them once in a while (indeed I could say this about all the characters except for Sheldon).

First off, Leonard and Penny. I started off feeling a bit annoyed with Leonard, because he was being quite unreasonably insecure; it's not okay to try to coerce your girlfriend to give up a study partner. But then, on seeing his hints of self-awareness and his confession to Penny, I completely warmed to him - as did she. And I have to say, the moment when she inadvertently said her ILY was at once one of the most beautiful and the most beautifully acted, in the entire series. They achieved just the right mix of tenderness, sincerity and casualness; and when Penny got scared and almost teared up, leaving Leonard on the verge of tears too; and the enormous relief in his 'she loves me'.. I admit I choked up, too. It was just so satisfying to see him made happy in that way, by the one person from whom he needs it most.

This episode actually holds the record for making me almost tear up twice. The Sheldon/Raj/Howard story was hilarious, and R/H went back to their old dynamics of playing brilliantly off each other; from peeking around the corner to agonizing over 43 to freaking out over the alien attack, their expressions were priceless. (Howard pushing Raj into the room made me die laughing).

But in all of this, there was an underlying current of seriousness with Sheldon's storyline; when he told them off for trying to pry on him, sharing how difficult it is for him to keep up with ordinary everyday activities and interactions, it struck me as a moment of deep vulnerability. He had pranked them, but he wasn't even in the mood to say 'bazinga'; he was dead serious, and he clearly felt violated.. definitely one of the very few times that Sheldon Cooper exhibited self-awareness and a real sense of his personal issues and trials. And touched my heart.

As for Alex - I was okay with her presence, I didn't find her irritating or anything but not really seeing the point of this angle (Alex getting attracted to Leonard) if they're not planning to go anywhere with it. And if they are.. I'm not sure I'd like that, either, just when Penny managed to get over her walls and open up a little.

Jim/Sheldon playing hacky-sack was adorable. smile.gif Just the kind of thing Sheldon would do to de-stress, and make a big deal of hiding it from others because in his eyes it's such a pedestrian thing to do!

Last, but not the least, the Leonard/Sheldon conversation was lovely, and felt like a throw back to old times again - except for Sheldon's oddly hilarious 'dirty' comment. And that expression when the chicken pecks its corn :icon_lol: guy really has sexual thoughts on his brain nowadays much???

Oh, and... ratings records going through the sky yay! :icon_eek:

Edited by Pomita
  • Like 4

Well, I have to say, this has been my favorite episode so far this year. I watched the L/P scene 3 times where she let it slip that she loves him. I don't think they are going to let Alex interfere. I think the writer's added this to further show Leonard's naivity.

Okay, lay off of Alex. How many times have you seen guys hit on a girl who is having BF trouble? We have two more seasons to go and now I am thinking that there may be one more big L/P breakup in the future - only this time, Penny will be much more affected by Leonard having a relationship. We all know that they will be married by the end of the series. It's just a matter of when.

They writers have already hinted at Raj having a relationship with a woman. I am sure that they will be very careful to ensure that is is believable - and I just don't see that happening with a Raj/Alex thing.

I admit that I constantly have to remind myself that this is just a TV show.

• Like 1

^^ that's an excellent evaluation of the episode and agree with a lot of the points u make hear.

Also I too am scared as to where or what they end up doing with Alex now...

The way they had Kaley put everything into that ILY (I'm talking Emmy quality! But then I'm prejudice!). The facial expressions, the terror of finally giving her heart again to someone. If they have Alex manipulate that relationship and hurt Penny, it would just be beyond inexcusable! The writers would have no defense and the fans would be 10 times more outraged then when they messed with L/P the first time. However, that's just my opinion and I have never been able to predict what TPTB are even remotely thinking.

Edited by SodidIwin?

Oh I totally agree... her performance was amazing. Johnny was just as good. His "she loves me" line was perfect! All around great performance :)

And yes I know I will be out raged if they mess with the relationship again. Alex needs to chill haha

For me it's not a matter of leaving Amy and/or Bernadette out for the sake of the others or to recapture "the good old days" or anything like that.

I think it's simply about what stories you want to tell and who those stories are about. In this case the stories were about the guys trying to figure out Sheldon's daily secret, so it revolved around the office, and about Leonard and Penny's relationship so it revolved around them and the two people who could be potential stumbling blocks to each other.

In this case there was no reason to include the other girls, but not because of a need to keep them off-screen for the sake of the others.

At any rate, to me it's not a matter of who's onscreen and who's not--I'm a big Shamy fan, so I like to see the two of them interacting--but simply a matter of whether or not the writing makes sense and if the acting is good and if the story is good and funny, all of which was great this time around.

I'm also a big Shamy fan and I agree with your sentiment, and to leave the girls out for this episode in particular was a good move on the part of the writers.

They have roughly 21 minutes of an episode and they need to make them count. It's all about the flow of the story/ production and their absence undeniably gives us memories of "old days" (because why wouldn't it?), but not having to focus on them gave more attention to Penny's big-little moment and more suspense in leading up to the very end. To take away from that time would have not made this episode as enjoyable as it was.

Amy and Bernadette, imo, are great assets to the show. It all depends on the stories told and who focuses on what. We'll see an example of every character being involved in the same exact story in the Parking Lot Escalation. There is no flipping back and forth to different stories in that episode. Everyone, Amy and Bernie included, are all playing out one big story and it really works for it. I think many people will also love that episode which shows that you can have a season 3 'feel' with the girls still there.

Edited by Kyzzx
  • Like 2

Good episode. Howard and Raj were on top form! gawd I'm so tired of Bernadette. The Howard/Raj combo double act is 100 times funnier and I never realised how bored of her I was. It was nice to have a little break from Amy also, although I find her funny. The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy got a mention. And finally the 'I love you' from Penny, it was a great moment but then she ran away. Shame there was no hug... and are english accents really considered sexy?

Good episode. Howard and Raj were on top form! gawd I'm so tired of Bernadette. The Howard/Raj combo double act is 100 times funnier and I never realised how bored of her I was. It was nice to have a little break from Amy also, although I find her funny. The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy got a mention. And finally the 'I love you' from Penny, it was a great moment but then she ran away. Shame there was no hug... and are english accents really considered sexy?

YES. Good lord.

YES. Good lord.

Ha, I thought Americans found english accents quaint. I had no idea. :icon_cool:

I wonder if he will appear again. Alex came back so I'm thinking he might. Maybe they will end things unexpectedly and Alex will go off with the English guy.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

Okay, lay off of Alex. How many times have you seen guys hit on a girl who is having BF trouble? We have two more seasons to go and now I am thinking that there may be one more big L/P breakup in the future - only this time, Penny will be much more affected by Leonard having a relationship. We all know that they will be married by the end of the series. It's just a matter of when.

They writers have already hinted at Raj having a relationship with a woman. I am sure that they will be very careful to ensure that is is believable - and I just don't see that happening with a Raj/Alex thing.

I admit that I constantly have to remind myself that this is just a TV show.

Having L/P married at series final and living happily ever after does absolutely nothing for me! The series will be over at that point, why would I care? They need to be together "during" the series for L/P fans to enjoy it. The so called "end game" is totally meaningless!

As for "leaving Alex alone" if they do use her to hurt Penny and affect the L/P relationship, then you haven't seen nothing yet! The whole wrath of the L/P fans will fall upon her. By the way the fans of each couple whether it is Lenny, Shammy or H/B are very passionate and unforgiving! But that's just my opinion and observation! :)

nicely said sodidiwin, at this point I have no serious issue with her. I mean ya she was flirting but I can see where she was coming from... that being said if she interferes more serioisly I will take serious issue with her haha

C-Trayne - thanks!

I agree with Spook and Phanta about Amy and Bernadette. At this point, their presence per se is crucial to the show, but a sporadic episode here and there without them works quite nicely and brings back 'old feels'. But it all depends on the story they want to tell - there are episodes where Raj or Howard or even Leonard/Penny are sidelined, and that's okay too as long as the rest of it feels consistent and interesting.

I think the writers are doing quite a smart job of balancing the characters, their screen times and their interactions, in this season.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing an episode later this season that focuses primarily on Amy or Bernadette so we can get more of their backstory now that they are regulars too and so then maybe if people know more about them as people outside of the gang they won't just see them as Howard's wife or Sheldon's girlfriend/Penny's bff. I like to meet their parents and find out more about their lives before they met their husband/boyfriend. Also see them working more I want to see what Bernadette does at her new job and more of Amy's biology experiments working with brains and animals etc.

I have no problem with episodes where they aren't in it at all as long as they are funny like this one was and yes I guess it does bring back the old school BBT feeling to have original five alone in an episode but nothing is all that old school for me and other fans cause like I said before I just started watching BBT this year and I know lots of people who just got into this show by watching it on TBS after the fact so we've seen the episodes with Amy and Bernadette sometimes in the same night or week as episodes from season 1 and 2 without them there at all so I don't feel this whole nostalgia feeling other fans must feel that original line-up was so much funnier and that the newer characters take away from the original line-up if anything Amy and Bernadette and Stuart added to it and make it better. JMO :) I do think Raj should get more focus too though but that could easily happen if they just put him with Alex instead of just turning him into a homewrecker type character just to create more drama for the L/P relationship. As of now I like Alex.

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 1