The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dennisjohn

Physics Failure

could someone explain how at the bottom of the stairs,the lobby is 6 ft to the street yet penny's unit from the door is about 30 feet wide......does the building operate under the time and relative dimensions in space physics, (tardis..re dr who), or is it an aberration in the laws of general physics..also, since Penny lives on the street side of the building, how come she had to go to the boys apartment to throw an ipod out the window at her male friend leaving the building?

• Like 1

Not a clue, the props people have done an amazing job but obviously the building does not exist so some things have to be left to the imagination.

The guy who drew this posted it but can't find the thread...

sheldon__leonard_and_penny_apartments.jpeg

Edited by Moonbase

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

In any case, it would be an Architectural failure, not Physics. Having said that , I was able to do the guy's and Penny's building on Sims 3 based on the plane posted by Moonbase. It did came out pretty weird as a 3rd floor which I fixed by doing Amy's, Raj's, Bernadette's & Howard's places on the floors below as well as doing the hall & laundry room. And still, the building on the outside looks weird. But then again, it's a sitcom and they have to do the sets as they better fit filming even if that sacrifices the architectural logic of real buildings

• Like 1

It is TV-show-funky. :)

Theoretically, Penny could have decided to throw the phone out there window if she knew the boyfriend would be walking that direction (if he'd parked on that side, or whatever) since there is a street outside the guys' window (remember the screeching tires in the ep where Sheldon had been up all night and threw his whiteboard out the window?) And I guess that's the direction Raj was coming from when he found the phone...

And speaking of that window--is there a computer or gaming console or something in that corner? It looks like there's a CPU or something on the floor over there and a big monitor with a joystick and a headset, but no one ever seems to do anything in that corner, except once when I think Sheldon had a whiteboard set up in that little alcove.

could someone explain how at the bottom of the stairs,the lobby is 6 ft to the street yet penny's unit from the door is about 30 feet wide......does the building operate under the time and relative dimensions in space physics, (tardis..re dr who), or is it an aberration in the laws of general physics..also, since Penny lives on the street side of the building, how come she had to go to the boys apartment to throw an ipod out the window at her male friend leaving the building?

It is a journalistic liberty that writer take. Look at the Floor plan in Moonbase's post it is a journalistic liberty. No way an archtech would design a building floor plan that way. A 6 story building doesn't normally have only two apartments on each floor.

If Penny hadn't thrown the Phone out L/S window, How would they know the guy put her sex life on the Internet?????

It is a journalistic liberty that writer take. Look at the Floor plan in Moonbase's post it is a journalistic liberty. No way an archtech would design a building floor plan that way. A 6 story building doesn't normally have only two apartments on each floor.

If Penny hadn't thrown the Phone out L/S window, How would they know the guy put her sex life on the Internet?????

Why would the person who drew this floorplan assume that there are only 2 apartments on each floor? Maybe the window cross-breeze line that Sheldon uses when referring to his spot? I guess the other window is on the invisible 4th wall...?

Why would the person who drew this floorplan assume that there are only 2 apartments on each floor? Maybe the window cross-breeze line that Sheldon uses when referring to his spot? I guess the other window is on the invisible 4th wall...?

Maybe because we have never seen an evict to suggest other wise. We only see two apartment on each floor and no other mention of other tenets on the 4th floor.

Maybe because we have never seen an evict to suggest other wise. We only see two apartment on each floor and no other mention of other tenets on the 4th floor.

Except for the fact that there are 16 mailboxes (if my mind's eye serves me correctly...)

There's a couple of theories (and threads) about the mailboxes. Bill Prady even weighs in about the number of boxes compaired to the number of apartments.

The two apartments per floor is pretty much confirmed via numerous threads, tweets and pics.

Kudos to TC for picking up on Penny having to throw the iPod out of the boys window. Never picked up on that one. /big clap

Except for the fact that there are 16 mailboxes (if my mind's eye serves me correctly...)

6 floors two apartment per Floor equals 12 Mail boxes. These are pre constructed and might not be made in only 12 mail box size. 4 extra mails boxes doesn't explain anything in the way of more apartments.

Edited by Fruit Loop

I feel like Leonard's mom mentions something about the number of tenants in Season 2 and it was like more than 20 or something... idk been a bit since I've seen that episode

6 floors two apartment per Floor equals 12 Mail boxes. These are pre constructed and might not be made in only 12 mail box size. 4 extra mails boxes does explain anything in the way of more apartments.

Do we know there are 6 floors?

I feel like Leonard's mom mentions something about the number of tenants in Season 2 and it was like more than 20 or something... idk been a bit since I've seen that episode

She does mention the possible number of tenants--she says something about the number of apartments and the average number of tenants, etc. But I don't remember the details, either. And I just recently watched that episode!

I agree with the concept of "poetic licence", so to speak, and I really love the show, over here in Oz we have 2 channels, free to air showing the show, but I tend to get caught up on facts, and since Chuck is so exact on his physics references, I just thought that this was a glaring error. Trust me though, I'm not going to stop watching the funniest show on t.v.According to the floorplan supplied by moonbase the front door would be under Pennies lounge. about the Ipod business, there doesnt seem to be a back door in the foyer, so the boyfriend would have to leave by the front door, but,L.O.L.r right in the fact that throwing it out her window would serve the plot much.

See attached floor plan, (revised moonbases plan). episodes correlation to uphold this revised floorplan. one episode, Sheldon had a bluejay on his window, treetops are visible outside the window explaining the possible park, it would also explain why Penny looks straight ahead and not down when she threw the I-Pod out, again straight out. I spoke to a friend who is an architect and he said that in the early 60's, late 70's, a lot of American aprtment blocks were cantelevered over the footpath so this would explain the bigger apartment. Another episode Sheldon had to buy Leonard a last mintute birthday present and stated that " well thats inconvenient, I dont drive and the only places with in walking distance is the Thai restuarant around the corner or the garage, I suppose I could buy him a gift wrapped curry crawdaddy of a car deoderant". to explain the 16 apartment, here goes, the roof no apartments...ground floor camera view point hides the building managers apartment, so he doesn't need a mailbox, and the plant rooms, the other four floors has 2 apartments hidden by the camera viewpoint......this is a bit of a long stretch, but hey, its a tv show. P.S. to design crew, next outdoor footpath shot, throw a colomn or two in,L.O.L.post-8388-0-67263300-1353326383_thumb.jp

I just want to know where their moms sleep when they come to visit. :p

When Sheldon had Dr. Plimpton staying with them, he slept on the couch so she could sleep in his bedroom.

But when either Sheldon's or Leonard's mothers have come they haven't really shown where they sleep. In the Rhinitis Revelation, Sheldon has obviously slept in his own bed, and undoubtedly, so has Leonard. But Mrs. Cooper is up and dressed and making breakfast when SHeldon comes out of his room--did she sleep on the couch?

A 6 story building doesn't normally have only two apartments on each floor.

If you look carefully at the plane will notice that there are 4 doors on each landing although they are only drawn the apartments of the main characters.

Hello.

I am that person...

If you look carefully at the plane will notice that there are 4 doors on each landing although they are only drawn the apartments of the main characters.