The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

The Big Bang Theory Receives Its Largest Audience Yet

Last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory received the show's largest audience to date, breaking the record set by last season's "The Friendship Contraction" earlier this year.

"The Habitation Configuration", which revived Sheldon's Fun with Flags videocast with guest stars Star Trek The Next Generation's Wil Wheaton and LeVar Burton, was watched by 16.68 million people. The episode broke the previous series high of 16.54 million, set February 2, 2012, by 140,00 people and also set a series high rating in households.

In the important adults 18-49 demographic, the show was adjusted up in the final ratings to 5.1/15 rating, down slightly from last week's 5.2/15 rating. The Big Bang Theory finished first in its time slot with households, total viewers, adults 25-54, adults 18-49 and adults 18-34. The Big Bang Theory was also the night's #1 program in households, viewers and the key adult demographics.

Yay for our show! :) The ratings are going through the roof in this season - and deservedly so, I think. I hope they keep up the good work.

Awesome! Like Bazingafan said, the comments about the show's decline makes no sense at all since the ratings are going through the roof this season.

Edited by JoeSal90

Awesome news, I know I've been telling all my friends about BBT and I know a few of them have started watching it this season and really starting to like it. I think show keeps getting bettter and better so I'm happy to add to the viewership as much as possible :D

Wow. If the show is getting worse and/or a lot of people are hating it every passing episode, are they all just masochists or...?

I think I remember reading something in the early seasons episode discussions--maybe S1 or S3?--about a dip in the ratings, but I don't remember seeing anything like that recently.

Has the show ever experienced any real decline in the ratings, or has it simply gone up and up with each ep/season?

Its gone up with each season but ratings never show the whole picture. There are many shows that get high ratings that I think are awful and I liked TBBT before it made any significant dent in the ratings. I always thought the show wouldn't last this long and never thought it would get this popular. My sister just brought the DVDs two months ago and is now saying she's a fan! I've been nagging her for years about this show, whats that all about? :icon_rolleyes:

when you look on wiki it just seems to be going up tbh

Interestingly after reviewing the numbers on Wikipedia. The show rose in both ranking and over all number of viewers each season but 1. In season 3 they even hit over the 15 million viewer mark. But they didn't hit again until season #5. In season #4 they dropped in both ranking and over all viewers. They didn't hit 15 million again until season #5. Then from that point they have been on a consistently high projectile. What was season #4 people didn't care for?

I think both reasons were responsible for the drop in ratings in season 4 - their move from 8.30 p.m. Monday to the earlier 8 p.m. slot, and the fact that they were just beginning to establish the two new characters.

Apart from that, there is a regular drop in ratings from around March of every year, which I've heard happens to most shows because people start staying out more in the spring.

idk maybe the break up of penny and leonard left a meh in peoples mouths and they had to get used to new characters?? idk

I don't know that that's really what drives ratings, since it's not like they're monitoring everyone's television.

It's all in the hands of the Nielsen families and what they decide to watch at any given point. So, maybe the Nielsen families didn't like something that was going on, but I would bet it's more likely that it would have had something to do with whatever the show was up against at that time.

I've done a Nielsen rating for a week or so at a time and for me it was kind of hard because the week that I was supposed to be keeping my TV diary I think I had rehearsals or something, so the shows I wold have watched I wasn't able to watch or something. I think I might have fudged for something, but I don't think I upset anyone's Nielsen demos.

I don't know that that's really what drives ratings, since it's not like they're monitoring everyone's television.

It's all in the hands of the Nielsen families and what they decide to watch at any given point. So, maybe the Nielsen families didn't like something that was going on, but I would bet it's more likely that it would have had something to do with whatever the show was up against at that time.

I've done a Nielsen rating for a week or so at a time and for me it was kind of hard because the week that I was supposed to be keeping my TV diary I think I had rehearsals or something, so the shows I wold have watched I wasn't able to watch or something. I think I might have fudged for something, but I don't think I upset anyone's Nielsen demos.

Although IMO your theory may be true if you believe a very large voter group watched the other special show. However, I can't see how that could effect the vast majority of weeks. Since the entire season went down when all other seasons rose.

No one liked priya ^^ haha

Well I don't believe it is just a coincidence that the next 3 weeks following Leonard breaking up with Priya they scored over 15 million viewers. The 1st time since season 3. Also, there is no coincidence that L/P going to the movies hit 14.98 million. Then finally since the 100th episode the show has hit the vast majority of weeks in the 15 to 16 million viewer range.

Edited by SodidIwin?

I think every Trekkie fan was watching & I for one felt a bit ripped off, not much Wil Wheaton whom I love on the show and a minute of LeVar Burton.