The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Mayor of Sheldonopolis

Amy Farrah Fowler...why?

Ok. I'm new here.

And only the good lord Stephen Hawking knows why I haven't joined a TBBT forum until now, as I've watched the show from when it first aired, and subsequently probably watched each season 10/11 times over.

I digress. My question is, what are people's thoughts on Amy?...

Personally, I dislike her character. She bores the hell out of me. I get that she is supposed to be a female Sheldon...but in a world that has a proper Sheldon, why do we need another version?

Her character is annoyingly unlikable, and I find her encroaching more and more into the episodes. I run the risk of being told the STFU here but I just wanted to know what other die-hard fans thought of her.

he, *grabs popcorn*

love her. she's been the final push for me to get addicted to this show. Her, Sheldon and Bernadette are my favorite characters, so I'm all for the new, expanded cast.

• Like 1

he, *grabs popcorn*

love her. she's been the final push for me to get addicted to this show. Her, Sheldon and Bernadette are my favorite characters, so I'm all for the new, expanded cast.

See, now there's the thing. Bernadette I like, but Amy...it's just a big no-no from me. IMHO the first 3-4 Seasons were much better when it was Sheldon, Leonard, Raj, Howard, Penny and then all the extra secondary characters. For me the amount that Bernadette is in the show is just right. She has only really encroached upon Howards storylines, whereas Amy is muscling in on Sheldon's scenes which isn't good.

Welcome to the boards--nothing like a little baptism of fire to get you started...

I actually really like Amy, especially as she has developed since the 4th season. I like that she isn't exactly like the guys (she's really not just a female version of Sheldon in some very important ways), but she's still a nerd and I like the dynamic when the 3 girls get together. I think it helps give perspective on the guys and her presence also highlights Sheldon's growth as a character.

I like that Sheldon has found the one person in the world who truly understands him. She actually has often provided very grounding advice for him when dilemmas arise--like his dispute with Priya over the Roommate Agreement, his feelings about his mother and his friends in the Rhinitis Revelation, etc. He trusts her advice and turns to her because she's the closest there is to his equal. Though she has a more developed attitude toward sex and sexuality and has more yearning in that area, still she provides a great foil for highlighting his character in regard to relationships and his own ascetic approach to sexuality.

I think that if Sheldon had remained this intellectual monk he would have become almost as stagnant as poor Raj, who really needs to find some solution to his mutism so that he can also learn to be a real boy.

Amy is her own person and is an interesting component in the group dynamic.

IMO.

See, now there's the thing. Bernadette I like, but Amy...it's just a big no-no from me. IMHO the first 3-4 Seasons were much better when it was Sheldon, Leonard, Raj, Howard, Penny and then all the extra secondary characters. For me the amount that Bernadette is in the show is just right. She has only really encroached upon Howards storylines, whereas Amy is muscling in on Sheldon's scenes which isn't good.

I don't think that is very accurate, there are Sheldon scenes without Amy or at least not revolving around Amy. There's a whole ep coming up. And the SH episode wasn't about her either, just to mention 2 from this season. I've actually recently re-watched how much "Shamy" there is in S4 and 5 because I wanted to track some developments and there's not as much as people who dislike Amy seem to perceive. And how is Bernadette encroaching upon Howard's storylines different than Amy encroaching upon Sheldon's? I think they've both encroached the same amount really. Bernadette is in the same amount of scenes that Amy is in, it's just that since you like Bernadette better (or you care about Howard less than Sheldon) you probably perceive her as being less present. I think when you dislike something it just takes over your whole field of vision and anything seems more than it needs to be. Which is fine, to each their own, if I disliked something I would probably perceive it to be too much regardless.

I agree with Phanta that she's very good to develop Sheldon as a character instead of leaving him stagnant: I think with all the brilliance in the writing and the acting, there's just so much you can do with a character who never develops.

But hey, as I said I like her, I think ratings suggest that she hasn't hurt the show at all, quite the opposite... she must be doing something right to be the only one getting an Emmy nomination besides Jim and Johnny. But I understand she might not be everyone's cup of tea.

• Like 1

But hey, as I said I like her, I think ratings suggest that she hasn't hurt the show at all, quite the opposite... she must be doing something right to be the only one getting an Emmy nomination besides Jim and Johnny. But I understand she might not be everyone's cup of tea.

I was typing up a post but it got lost, only to say that she has already moved on from being just a female Sheldon. She is her own character. There's a lot of similarities between them until now but there's even more differences. Also, it may depend on a person's preference on who you might like and who you think is boring. Like me, I love her. She can have her own one-liners and issues and even steals the scenes in the show and that i find her intersting. And like what spook said, she must be doing something right to be the only female castmember who got an emmy nom and the 3rd one in the entire cast to be nominated for the show (except for people's choice... we all know that's a popularity contest, as much as the kids choice and teens choice where Twilight is "quality film").

I like her, but there were many moments in season 5 that I didn't like her character. I have liked her so far in season 6, except the episode where she licked the stapler.

p.s... I loved her in season 4.

Edited by BazingaFan

when amy first came into the show i found her pretty dull, but now shes got her own quirky personality rather than a female sheldon i quite like her (though like sheldon she would irritate me in real life)

I like her, but there were many moments in season 5 that I didn't like her character. I have liked her so far in season 6, except the episode where she licked the stapler.

p.s... I loved her in season 4.

You didn't like her in the ep where she licked the stapler, or you didn't like the act of licking the stapler or whatever else she did in that episode?

What is it about her character that you didn't like in S5?

I must admit, I like her more now than when she was first introduced. I just feel there is a little too much of her in the episodes now. Maybe that is because I dislike her character, so I am noticing more when she is onscreen. Who knows...

Also, people who have Amy in their sig (even if it is with Sheldor the Conqueror) clearly have a bias towards her character. :icon_wink:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Just as you have a bias against her character. When it comes to like vs not like a character you cannot ask people to be objective, because opinions are never objective.

She is my favorite character, so yeah, I'm biased. I really enjoy her character. So much that when I rewatch old seasons when she's not there I feel as if something's missing. And I've been watching the show since 2007. Amy Farrah Fowler was the reason that I went from casual fan to getting into online fanfom, forums, etc. So yeah, as I said, biased.

I love her quirkiness, her honesty, her bluntness, her innocence, her creepiness, everything that you probably dislike. Because, you know, biased.

• Like 2

You didn't like her in the ep where she licked the stapler, or you didn't like the act of licking the stapler or whatever else she did in that episode?

What is it about her character that you didn't like in S5?

It was the licking of the stapler. Just too weird for me, an in the beginning of that episode, the man-eating comment was a bit weird for me, but it's just me.

In season 5, I didn't like the comments she made to penny, mainly. And, she seemed to have lower self esteem in season 5 than she did in season 4. The whole worship of penny thing bugged me. It seems to be better in season 6 so far -- I actually enjoyed her in the last episode when she was being that way to wil wheaton.

Edited by BazingaFan

Just as you have a bias against her character. When it comes to like vs not like a character you cannot ask people to be objective, because opinions are never objective.

She is my favorite character, so yeah, I'm biased. I really enjoy her character. So much that when I rewatch old seasons when she's not there I feel as if something's missing. And I've been watching the show since 2007. Amy Farrah Fowler was the reason that I went from casual fan to getting into online fanfom, forums, etc. So yeah, as I said, biased.

I love her quirkiness, her honesty, her bluntness, her innocence, her creepiness, everything that you probably dislike. Because, you know, biased.

Sorry, my comment on people being biased was meant tongue in cheek as identified with the :icon_wink: emoticon. I understand that everyone is biased in some way or another, as you say, when asking for peoples opinions not a single one of us can be objective.

:icon_razz:

Also, Amy has been in 43 episodes whereas Bernadette has only been in 26. So she is definitely on screen more than Bernadette.

Edited by Ezzy525

I like her. She's far from my favorite character, but I like the relationship she has with Sheldon and I have really been enjoying her scenes with the other girls in the last few episodes. I was only kind of amused by the repeated Penny-crush comments from previous seasons and am glad they have backed off on that.

I must admit, I like her more now than when she was first introduced. I just feel there is a little too much of her in the episodes now. Maybe that is because I dislike her character, so I am noticing more when she is onscreen. Who knows...

Also, people who have Amy in their sig (even if it is with Sheldor the Conqueror) clearly have a bias towards her character. :icon_wink:

She's Sheldon's girlfriend. You'll be seeing a hell of a lot of her from now on. LOL.

Anyway, like others here, I like her a lot. Mayim does one HELL of a job playing her, that's for sure. Not many people can pull that off. I feel the same way about Jim. There's not another soul on Earth who could make Sheldon look that good. I'm just totally in love with these characters and like others have mentioned, Amy is there to help Sheldon grow as a person in different ways. Because of Amy, we've seen Sheldon do things that way may have NEVER seen him do otherwise and I love that. Spices things up a bit.

Monique

• Like 2

I think Mayim is a wonderful comedienne & liked Amy in season 4 a lot, great shows: the one where she has the crush on Zack, the Herb garden, but the writers keep fiddling with her character so she has no core. Last season she was needy with her creepy girlcrush, this year she's bossy-kinky. A little of her goes a long way, tonight's episode without her felt like a relief. A pity....

One thing I wish they went back to and started doing more of is to get her back to the science talk and nerdiness and tone down on the sex talk a bit. I miss that a lot. I don't think they need to constantly force it down our throats that her loins are on fire for Sheldon: we get that. I think the thing with the writers is that once they get caught up with something they kind of lose track of the rest and seem to get tunnel vision on that one thing, that's why there were so many Penny innuendos last year and why everything seems to be about sex this year.

I don't mind the bossiness as much, because that's just one of the things that makes her so Sheldonesque, I like it when they bring out their similarities as well as their differences. But I'd give anything right now to see them go to another science talk to make fun of the speaker or the science center or something along those lines.

• Like 1

So I thought I'd show you some support. I hate the Amy character as well and also think that her being introduced came with a lot of other changes that have made the show less enjoyable. (In fact I ony watch the show now when other people turn it on.)

You won't get as much sympathy on this forum now as you might have a year or so ago. Most of the people who prefer seasons 1-3 and the original cast have stopped visiting this forum.

• Like 1

I agree. I LIKED the original Amy when she was a female version of Sheldon. The frustrated, sex-starved, "loins on fire" version is just creepy and unlikable. But that's definitely a minority opinion out here.

Oh I'm not saying that she should regress to that Amy, I don't think there's a point in her being a clone of Sheldon. She needs to be her own character and I like it that they fleshed her out more in late S4 and 5, but I do think the constant sex references are a bit tiresome, she's much more interesting than that. I'm not saying they should get rid of it, I just think they shouldn't make everything about her loins. The reason why she's perfect for Sheldon is first and foremost in her brains and at the moment I just feel like they're not showing much of that.

Amy is actually my favorite female, and I'm glad she's a part of the show (Penny is great, but never made me laugh as much, and the less I say about Bernadette the better...)

Oh I'm not saying that she should regress to that Amy, I don't think there's a point in her being a clone of Sheldon. She needs to be her own character and I like it that they fleshed her out more in late S4 and 5, but I do think the constant sex references are a bit tiresome, she's much more interesting than that. I'm not saying they should get rid of it, I just think they shouldn't make everything about her loins. The reason why she's perfect for Sheldon is first and foremost in her brains and at the moment I just feel like they're not showing much of that.

I agree that they don't have to make it about that all the time :-).

Monique