Amy Farrah Fowler...why?

The Mayor of Sheldonopolis

Good Points Sursonica and Vasu.

Amy is definitely not two dimensional, at least, she is as fleshed out as most of the other characters. We could make a similar list of facts as the one Sursonica did for the other characters and we will discover that there's precisely where we find their "motivations".

Many of the facts we know about her tell us about how she used to be lonely and rejected for all her life, that's one of the reasons because she built up tall walls around her (ala Sheldon), her mother seems to be the controlling type too (not letting her watch popular movies and lecturing her about the relevance of virginity) but deep inside her, she wanted to have friends and to hang around with the popular girls, without stopping being herself, it's until now when she got the opportunity of experience that, with Sheldon, who likes her and wants her as his girlfriend just as she is, and with Penny and Bernardette, who accept her as a friend despite her quirks and oddness, now she feels free and remains herself while experiencing life.

From the Zack incident, we got to know that she can get the hots for handsome guys, but she won't jump in bed with them unless they appeal to her intelectually. That tells us that even when she can sound extremely curious about sex, she is also focused, she doesn't want to have it with anyone, she wants to have it with a man she really likes (Sheldon).

We also know that her family used to tease her for being man-less, hence her eagerness to show-off Sheldon to them.

Then, she's stil a scientist, and is able to plan an entire experiment based in neurobiology to advance her romantic relationship, but, at the same time, is a woman who freaks out when receiving a tiara as a gift, revealing that, inside her, lies a romantic little girl who probably dreamed with being a princess, that's why she oftenly can show an indealized notion of romance (her idea of dates, and her desire of dressing up as Romeo and Juliet for Halloween)

We also know that she can get very into her role when she is involved into something, even bossy, when she plotted with the girls against Priya, despite being crazy about Sheldon, she didn't take his crap when he was visiting her lab (wich shows she takes her work seriously), and recently, as a collaborator and director of Fun With Flags.

And last, but not least, just as Sheldon, she displays many traits that could evidence an undiagnosed case that belongs to the Aspie spectrum.

We could go on and on, analyzing little details that reveal shades of her personality. Pretty neat for not knowing anything about her motivations, isn't it? ;)

• Like 2

Sarah - I'm in awe. :)

Indeed, such an intensive description could be made about each of the characters. The show has been good in building up their personalities and back-stories in subtle hints and references, doing away with the need for flashbacks or long explanations.

I love Amy and every aspect of her. She used to be a mirror affect to Sheldon but she's come along on her own and really become her own character. I love Mayim too so its hard not to love her character. I now can not imagine the show without her. Those 7 are keepers!

• Like 2

So Vasu, what bothers you about Amy intense feelings for Penny; that she's overboard (on the intense creepy side) or that she may be bisexual? It wasn't until the recent spoiler with the spanking that I now think that the writers are portraying Amy as someone who is open sexually and that she is bisexual.

I agree there is a lot of info and everyone's done a great job of discussing it; and indeed she is/was the lonely, rejected teenager and that does explain a lot. But all the main characters were lonely rejected teenagers and they are all different. That's where important background comes in and we won't really know who Amy is until we find out about her mother, father, etc She wears her grandmother's clothes: why? Because she 1) loved her grandmother 2) is cheap 3) feels she is unattractive, so doesn't bother. I think it's no. 3 but I don't really know enough about why Amy does things to be sure. That's motivation: why a character does what she does.

I LOVE Amy. She's is only second to Sheldon.

She's unique, quirky, smart, unexpected, funny and just plain crazy sometimes.

Which I love about her. She understands Sheldon's and his ways and truly loves him even with all his quirks and phobias.

She's the shy girl in high school that nobody paid attention to and she is finally coming out of her shell and becoming the person she wants to be

She reminds me of me :)

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

So Vasu, what bothers you about Amy intense feelings for Penny; that she's overboard (on the intense creepy side) or that she may be bisexual? It wasn't until the recent spoiler with the spanking that I now think that the writers are portraying Amy as someone who is open sexually and that she is bisexual.

I agree there is a lot of info and everyone's done a great job of discussing it; and indeed she is/was the lonely, rejected teenager and that does explain a lot. But all the main characters were lonely rejected teenagers and they are all different. That's where important background comes in and we won't really know who Amy is until we find out about her mother, father, etc She wears her grandmother's clothes: why? Because she 1) loved her grandmother 2) is cheap 3) feels she is unattractive, so doesn't bother. I think it's no. 3 but I don't really know enough about why Amy does things to be sure. That's motivation: why a character does what she does.

Regarding wearing her dead grandmother's clothes, she said it herself: because she appreciates a good bargain (so, because she's cheap). It was on Infestation Hypothesis. She does wear Victoria's Secret Underwear though (leopard striped.. she also said it on that episode)

Regarding all the characters being "rejected" as they grew up, is true, but so far, and for what we know, they all were for different reasons and that's why they're all different:

- Leonard mainly because his mother would ridicule him in public, because he was short and because his mother was always making him feel bad about himself and comparing him to his more sucessful siblings

- Sheldon: a child genius, grew up in a dysfunctional home with a religious fanatic for a mother, and a drunk rough father. He was bullied for being different and awkward and went to College at 11 yrs old.

- Raj was always sorta ambiguous with his sexuality and that made it hard for him to have friends. That's why he had to pay his servants to hang out with him

- Howard sufferred a lot when his dad left and his overbearing mother caused a lot of his difficulties in relatiing to other people.

Amy was always rejected because of her awkwardness and her overprotective mother not making it any easier. She always wanted to make friends but up until Sheldon and later Penny she never did. So that's the main reason why she acts the way she acts.

I really don't think it's THAT hard to find her motivations or why she is the way she is, the same with the other characters.

• Like 1

My problem with the scenes where Amy hits-on/praises/adores Penny is quite Simple .... I NEVER LAUGHED

And IMO Amy lately has been clearly been portrayed as someone who is open sexually

And can you please clarify on how spanking scene proves that she is bisexual ???

She's the shy girl in high school that nobody paid attention to and she is finally coming out of her shell and becoming the person she wants to be

Well I don't agree because from what I have seen in the show its clear that..

She was NOT SHY... in fact she was the quite opposite... she was over bearing and pushy... she was a trying friend....she tried too hard to befriend others....this is the reason why she was rejected

She is now happy because she has a boyfriend and friends who genuinely like and care for her...

I'm sorry. Amy doesn't mean to be pushy. She is just doesn't know how to react to ppl and be social like everyone else does in high school

I don't think Amy is bisexual. She might marvel in penny beauty or even bi curious.

She hasn't made a sexual comment to penny since the Werewolf ep.

Now all her sexual frustrations go to toward Sheldon.

I didn't say the spanking scene proved she is bisexual I said it made me rethink what the writers are saying about her character. As it's been shown that Amy is sexually open, embracing sexuality; meaning she's not repressed like Sheldon. She clearly enjoys the spanking, so why shouldn't she enjoy being with a girl? I thought those Amy-Penny scenes were funny because they were over the top. It amused me.

Shamyfan I've read that for many bi people it's the person, that attracts them not whether they are male or female. So Amy can very well be bi; attracted to Sheldon who happens to be male.

Sursonica, you're bi, (and kudos for saying so) what do you think?

• Like 1

Spanking? you're all spoiled. It's hard enough as it is to avoid the spoiler thread. I miss the old site... hardly any spoilers, more discussion about what might happen, rather than discussion about what you read, before watching it. *stomps off to another thread*

Edited by Moonbase

I didn't say the spanking scene proved she is bisexual I said it made me rethink what the writers are saying about her character. As it's been shown that Amy is sexually open, embracing sexuality; meaning she's not repressed like Sheldon. She clearly enjoys the spanking, so why shouldn't she enjoy being with a girl? I thought those Amy-Penny scenes were funny because they were over the top. It amused me.

Shamyfan I've read that for many bi people it's the person, that attracts them not whether they are male or female. So Amy can very well be bi; attracted to Sheldon who happens to be male.

I never said she can't be bi. I really doubt the writers would make Amy fall in love with Sheldon and Penny. I don't Sheldon would like to share, even if its w penny

Amy is figuring out her sexuality. That's great. She making up for lost time.

To her eyes, she might think Penny is the ultimate symbol of beauty and sexuality. And she admires that in Penny.

I might be talking out my ass, but its all up to the writers make Amy do or who Amy falls in love

Spanking? you're all spoiled. It's hard enough as it is to avoid the spoiler thread. I miss the old site... hardly any spoilers, more discussion about what might happen, rather than discussion about what you read, before watching it. *stomps off to another thread*

Fair crib. That's what the spoiler thread is for, guys! Please try to avoid mentions of future events in other threads.

Moonbase I'm sorry, mea culpa, I'll be more mindful not to post spoilers in the future. To just discuss Amy and being bi. Being bi means you are attracted to both sexes, it doesn't mean you want more than one lover at a time. I hope Sursonica comes and explains; this isn't my wheelhouse :icon_razz:

Edited by annieogly

No problem, I'm over it. :icon_cheesygrin: and I really don't need an explanation. I have learnt not to discuss religion, politics or my sexuality. You could all be chimps or parakeets and I wouldn't care at all.

Oh I should go back OT:

It's all coming up Amy.

Edited by Moonbase

I cannot speak for all bisexual people, but it is a common statement between us and is true. I will speak for myself though. because I don't like to speak for other people. When I am atrracted to someone, I am attracted to the person, not the gender itself. I am engaged now to a guy who I was really atrracted to when I met him and he just happenned to be a man. He was a dating a man when we met and had never dated a woman before, but he also said he was very atrracted to me, and I just happenned to be a woman, so yeah it's like that. I just don't limit my "scope" that's all :p

In the case of Amy though, I don't see her as bisexual. Mainly because the way she expresses her atrraction for Sheldon is not the way she USED TO (because it hasn't happenned since mid-season 5) act towards Penny. Her comments to Penny were innapropiate but were always said to Penny. Her comments about Sheldon are mainly ABOUT him, not TO him. I read that as Amy wanting Penny to hear her compliments, because they were compliments trying to get her acceptance. With Sheldon though she doesn't need to let him hear her comments about him, because she is not trying to compliment him, she just can't help but to verbalize her attraction towards him. That's my opinion. She could be bi though, I just think the show hasn't given us any evidences on it.

I don't know if I explained it correctly, it makes sense in my head but I just had a few glasses of wine and my speech is not great right now :D

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 5

In the case of Amy though, I don't see her as bisexual. Mainly because the way she expresses her atrraction for Sheldon is not the way she USED TO (because it hasn't happenned since mid-season 5) act towards Penny. Her comments to Penny were innapropiate but were always said to Penny. Her comments about Sheldon are mainly ABOUT him, not TO him. I read that as Amy wanting Penny to hear her compliments, because they were compliments trying to get her acceptance. With Sheldon though she doesn't need to let him hear her comments about him, because she is not trying to compliment him, she just can't help but to verbalize her attraction towards him. That's my opinion. She could be bi though, I just think the show hasn't given us any evidences on it.

I don't know if I explained it correctly, it makes sense in my head but I just had a few glasses of wine and my speech is not great right now :D

Hah... You said ALWAYS :p

There was one comment(sorry I don't remember it quite properly) about Penny which was said to Sheldon not Penny , in the episode where L\P go on a gun-date , after Leonard gives the bug list to Penny.

Anyways as you said you had a few glasses of wine... I'll let it pass :D

I'm sorry. Amy doesn't mean to be pushy. She is just doesn't know how to react to ppl and be social like everyone else does in high school

I don't think Amy is bisexual. She might marvel in penny beauty or even bi curious.

She hasn't made a sexual comment to penny since the Werewolf ep.

Now all her sexual frustrations go to toward Sheldon.

LOL Why Sorry ???

You were just stating your opinions..

I know that Amy does'nt mean to be pushy... I was just trying to point out the reason she was rejected/bullied in school

Edited by vasu

Hah... You said ALWAYS :p

There was one comment(sorry I don't remember it quite properly) about Penny which she tells to Sheldon not Penny , in the episode where L\P go on a gun-date , after Leonard gives the bug list to Penny.

Anyways as you said you had a few glasses of wine... I'll let it pass :D

yeah, she said "hair too golden?, laugh too musical?" but that was it. She was just stating that she couldn't understand what Leonard could have put on that list. She always thinks Penny is perfect, that does not mean she is atracted to her. And she made that comment to her boyfreind and Penny's boyfriend. If she really was attracted to Penny she wouldn't be saying it toLeonard.

Anyhow, that seems to have passed, since at the beginning of this season she said to Penny that she is not a natural blonde and didn't believe her when Penny denied it LOL

Edited by Sursonica