The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
C-Trayne

Penny's Job

So in Season 6 Episode 7 we hear Penny admit that she is terrible at her job. So i was thinking, wouldn't it be an interesting plot twist if they had Penny get fired? I'm curious as to how both she would take it, and how Leonard would react when he found out. Would she try focusing more on her acting career or would she just find another restaurant? And how would Leonard help her?

IDK was bored and thinking about it haha thoughts?

So in Season 6 Episode 7 we hear Penny admit that she is terrible at her job. So i was thinking, wouldn't it be an interesting plot twist if they had Penny get fired? I'm curious as to how both she would take it, and how Leonard would react when he found out. Would she try focusing more on her acting career or would she just find another restaurant? And how would Leonard help her?

IDK was bored and thinking about it haha thoughts?

If Penny was fired from the Cheesecake Factory she would have no money and therefore lose her apartment 4B. Therefore, there are two possibilities that come to mind:

1.) Leave and move back to Nebraska. (Not an option!)

2.) Leonard moves in with her in 4B. Then Amy moves in with Sheldon in 4A. This keeps the cross hallway activity as normal. At the same time Penny can finish school faster full time and everyone lives happily ever after! :)

Edited by SodidIwin?
  • Like 3

We don't know that she would be forced to move out. She could have some saved which she could survive off while she finds another job or pursues her acting career more efficiently

We don't know that she would be forced to move out. She could have some saved which she could survive off while she finds another job or pursues her acting career more efficiently

She is always behind with her bills. In as late as The Friendship Contraction she told Leonard that she paid her electric bill with a gift card to Starbucks and pictures of her in a bra.

Okay touche... well maybe Leonard would cover a month or two for her while she searches for a job or soemthign. I can totally see this as something he would do, iI mean he paid a month of her rent wen they weren't even dating

I think it's funny that Penny is crap at her job. She's the total opposite of conscientious Leonard. In fact all the guys are proper good boys. Penny is the rebel.

Okay touche... well maybe Leonard would cover a month or two for her while she searches for a job or soemthign. I can totally see this as something he would do, iI mean he paid a month of her rent wen they weren't even dating

Oh I'm positive you are correct. Leonard would do absolutely anything for Penny without question. I'm also positive he would love living with Penny too! Hubba! Hubba! :)

Exactly... honestly I'm kinda keep in my fingers crossed for something like this to happen. I think it would be a fun twist to the show

Maybe Penny could move in with Leonard for a few months until she gets a new job and then her apartment doesn't rent or the resident moves out after a few months so she moves back in because her and Sheldon conflict. Can you see Sheldon going bat-shit crazy trying to adjust to Penny living with them. They could do a whole episode on Sheldon trying to get Penny to sign the roommate agreement.

• Like 2

Omg that's hilarious never really thought about it that way. Sheldon vs penny living in the same appartement haha that I would like to see

Sheldon even trying to get Penny to sign a roommate agreement would be funny. Penny signing any type of agreement of Sheldon's would never happen but Lol hilarious! :)

• Like 1

If Penny was fired from the Cheesecake Factory she would have no money and therefore lose her apartment 4B. Therefore, there are two possibilities that come to mind:

1.) Leave and move back to Nebraska. (Not an option!)

2.) Leonard moves in with her in 4B. Then Amy moves in with Sheldon in 4A. This keeps the cross hallway activity as normal. At the same time Penny can finish school faster full time and everyone lives happily ever after! :)

There is a good chance we will see a version of the second option. L/P temporarily in 4B and then moving to a larger house and Amy moving to Leonard's old room or more likely to Penny's Apt.

I would love it if they all lived in the same building. I think it be great if Raj had to move out of his apartment because of the residual radium finally starts making people sick and then Raj moves upstairs right over Sheldon and Leonard's apartment and then it can be like the episode of I love lucy when the Ricardos drove the Mertzes crazy with all noise they were making over their heads.

And I would love to see what it be like if Sheldon lived with Amy and Leonard lived with Penny and then they switch and girls stay together after the boys piss them off but it ends up Penny and amy in Sheldon and Leonard's apartment and Sheldon and Leonard in Penny's apartment so Amy can go through Sheldon's underwear drawer again without Sheldon yelling at her about it lol

We've already had Sheldon do a 'Penny specific' clause to Leonard's room mate agreement in the episode when Penny was lying to her father about them getting back together. He was up all night amending it and threw the pages all over the room when Leonard told him it wasn't happening. I like her having her own apartment but I think the idea about her losing her job is workable. I'd also like Penny's father to return, he will be happy they are genuinely back together.

• Like 2

I would miss the Cheesecake Factory scenes if they fired her, but I do agree it'd be interesting to watch. However I think it's still too early to have the couples move in together. I like Leonard and Sheldon as roommates, there are still so many stories to be told. But in the future it'd be definitely fun to watch. Now, Raj moving into the building would be great!

I would miss the Cheesecake Factory scenes if they fired her, but I do agree it'd be interesting to watch. However I think it's still too early to have the couples move in together. I like Leonard and Sheldon as roommates, there are still so many stories to be told. But in the future it'd be definitely fun to watch. Now, Raj moving into the building would be great!

How about Penny obtaining her associates degree at the community college and then becoming the assistant manager at the Cheesecake Factory. That way we keep the group dialog dynamic at their hangout? Penny will be a manager and feel better about herself.

Edited by SodidIwin?

How about Penny obtaining her associates degree at the community college and then becoming the assistant manager at the Cheesecake Factory. That way we keep the group dialog dynamic at their hangout? Penny will be a manager and feel better about herself.

That'd be cool! I'd like that.

Penny getting an AA and getting promoted would work out because she would have more freedom to do things with them when they come there to eat and could even sit with the group for a few minutes. It would be funny though to see her go through a period where she does various temporay jobs and comes home to tell the guys crazy things that happened to her. Also, maybe she could get a job at a studio that she really likes.

• Like 1

Still, you have two reasonably well paid professional men in their thirties living together in an apartment despite having women who are the love of their lives. That's stretching things quite a bit. There are extenuating circumstances. Leonard is still there because Penny is there across the hall and until now, he did not know where he stood with her. Sheldon needs Leonard for transportation and to be his buffer to the outside world.

If Penny gives the word to Leonard, dominoes would fall quickly. Leonard would move in with Penny (he is spending more and more time there) and most likely Penny would have to make a decision about whether she would continue working at the Cheesecake Factory. This season the direction that the writing is going is that Penny would give up her waitress job and there are some signs pointing to this (her declaration that she is terrible at it). Leonard, if he was feeling brave, would point her to being a full-time student and would pay for it. That's a given. I think living at Penny's would be no more that a season before they moved to their own place.

If the writers are feeling bold, there are two ways to handle Sheldon being Leonard-less:

1. Have Leonard living at Penny's solves his transportation problem but when they move out, Amy moves in to Penny's apartment.

2. Have Amy move in with Sheldon, but staying in Leonard's old room. We would have to see more advancement from Sheldon, but that may be coming.

Either way Penny's time at the Cheesecake Factory is very possibly limited

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1

That's actually an excellent analysis I think. You brought up many points I didn't think of and honestly I like them all haha!!

Still, you have two reasonably well paid professional men in their thirties living together in an apartment despite having women who are the love of their lives. That's stretching things quite a bit. There are extenuating circumstances. Leonard is still there because Penny is there across the hall and until now, he did not know where he stood with her. Sheldon needs Leonard for transportation and to be his buffer to the outside world.

If Penny gives the word to Leonard, dominoes would fall quickly. Leonard would move in with Penny (he is spending more and more time there) and most likely Penny would have to make a decision about whether she would continue working at the Cheesecake Factory. This season the direction that the writing is going is that Penny would give up her waitress job and there are some signs pointing to this (her declaration that she is terrible at it). Leonard, if he was feeling brave, would point her to being a full-time student and would pay for it. That's a given. I think living at Penny's would be no more that a season before they moved to their own place.

If the writers are feeling bold, there are two ways to handle Sheldon being Leonard-less:

1. Have Leonard living at Penny's solves his transportation problem but when they move out, Amy moves in to Penny's apartment.

2. Have Amy move in with Sheldon, but staying in Leonard's old room. We would have to see more advancement from Sheldon, but that may be coming.

Either way Penny's time at the Cheesecake Factory is very possibly limited

But in terms of the show itself it's more than Sheldon and Leonard living together for practical reasons. The whole premise is the two nerds and the girl across the hall. Now, everything you pointed out makes perfect sense, but I still think, at this stage at least, it's way too soon to go down that route. As I said there are a lot of stories that can still be told about L&S living together before we move into new territory. I'm not sure it'd be good for Sheldon and Amy to move in together quite yet and if Penny were to give up her apartment to Amy then the whole premise of the two nerds and the girl across the hall is gone. I'm all for character development and growth, but this would be Big Bang 2.0, and I think it's a bit too much too soon. If the show goes on for another 5+ years then yes, in 3-4 years they're going to have to do something about it. But I don't think anything should change in terms of living arrangements in the next season or two.

Also, the interesting thing about the show is that these people are different to the "masses". The whole point of the show IS to stretch things out and show people who live life differently. Just because they're in their thirties it doesn't mean they should bunk up with their women, I think it's refreshing to see a different take on this stage of life. Not everyone has a biological clock ticking that says "You're 30-something, you should move in with your girl/boyfriend". Especially not someone like Sheldon. Also, yes, we may know that they are the love of their lives, but things for both of them are still really uncertain. Penny just finally said ILY in a really rushed and non-monumental way, I think there'll be a lot going on this season before these two finally solidify. Sheldon is just now entering a process of maturing and figuring out being in love with Amy. I think they still have a way to go before taking life-changing decisions with their women.

In any case, I do agree that changing things up a bit this season regarding Penny's job would be very interesting. I do like the idea of her getting her Associate Degree and becoming a manager or something. But I don't want changes to her job to lead to such drastic changes in the dynamic of the show quite yet.

You too make some great points but I think waiting 3-4 years may be a long time for a change like this... if we say that all the couples stay together for that time I feel like they will have to change something sooner rather than later.

For example if L/P continue to fix the bugs in their relationship then it is likely we could see a proposal or some other big moment early in season 7 and while they don't have to live together while engaged I can't see them staying in desperate apartments after marries

Penny's job situation could be used to delay the the whole marrige thing between Leonard and her without creating relationship problems. She could get fired from her waitress job and have find a new job, which the writers could have a fun time with writing funny situations for her. She could have to move in with Leonard and Sheldon for a couple of months, driving him crazy, until she gets a regular job, and H/B could sub-let her apartment during that time while they are looking for a house, so Penny doesn't lose the apartment. She could also have self-worth problems at the same time and finally start telling Leonard her fears and start to accept help from him because he is her love. The writers could begin this in the second half of season 6 and they could take season 7 to get her in a good place where Leonard can ask her to marry him, or what would be funny is Penny realizing she can't see her life without Leonard so she asks him to marry her, in season 8. The engagement could go on for a little while, because Penny wants Leonard to meet her family and she wants to meet his, so they don't get married till season 9. Then they are married in season 10 and move into Penny's apartment for the time being. That gives you 10 seasons. My 2-cents.

• Like 3

Penny's job situation could be used to delay the the whole marrige thing between Leonard and her without creating relationship problems. She could get fired from her waitress job and have find a new job, which the writers could have a fun time with writing funny situations for her. She could have to move in with Leonard and Sheldon for a couple of months, driving him crazy, until she gets a regular job, and H/B could sub-let her apartment during that time while they are looking for a house, so Penny doesn't lose the apartment. She could also have self-worth problems at the same time and finally start telling Leonard her fears and start to accept help from him because he is her love. The writers could begin this in the second half of season 6 and they could take season 7 to get her in a good place where Leonard can ask her to marry him, or what would be funny is Penny realizing she can't see her life without Leonard so she asks him to marry her, in season 8. The engagement could go on for a little while, because Penny wants Leonard to meet her family and she wants to meet his, so they don't get married till season 9. Then they are married in season 10 and move into Penny's apartment for the time being. That gives you 10 seasons. My 2-cents.

I SO want Penny to propose to Leonard. Oh it'd be glorious.