The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
C-Trayne

Penny's Job

Although I would like Penny to move on from the Cheesecake Factory, I can see some potential issues with this idea:

1. The Cheesecake Factory is the only place all seven hangout away from the main set. Most sitcoms have these: the coffee shops in Friends/Seinfeld/Fraiser or a bar in How I Met Your Mother. I'm not sure how much of a deal this would be, there are probably some sitcoms that function without a home away from home. I doubt they would go out to eat so often if she wasn't working there.

2. It's the main place Penny interacts with the others away from 4A/4B. Take that away and she becomes confined to the the main set and Amy and Bernie's places. I think that would limit her usefulness as a character. No one wants that. I would miss her Greek chorus-of-one type comments on the S/A and H/B relationships that she gives in those scenes.

Anyway, if she moves on from the Cheesecake Factory I think the writers will have to create some other space for the others to visit her. Where would that be? Another job? Maybe, but if we want her to step up the career ladder, that's not really an option. Penny is the outsider in a group of people who don't really do hanging out in bars, cafes etc.

I might be way off, but I think she'll be in the same job for a few seasons yet.

Edited by bostrich
  • Like 1

Although I would like Penny to move on from the Cheesecake Factory, I can see some potential issues with this idea:

1. The Cheesecake Factory is the only place all seven hangout away from the main set. Most sitcoms have these: the coffee shops in Friends/Seinfeld/Fraiser or a bar in How I Met Your Mother. I'm not sure how much of a deal this would be, there are probably some sitcoms that function without a home away from home. I doubt they would go out to eat so often if she wasn't working there.

2. It's the main place Penny interacts with the others away from 4A/4B. Take that away and she becomes confined to the the main set and Amy and Bernie's places. I think that would limit her usefulness as a character. No one wants that. I would miss her Greek chorus-of-one type comments on the S/A and H/B relationships that she gives in those scenes.

Anyway, if she moves on from the Cheesecake Factory I think the writers will have to create some other space for the others to visit her. Where would that be? Another job? Maybe, but if we want her to step up the career ladder, that's not really an option. Penny is the outsider in a group of people who don't really do hanging out in bars, cafes etc.

I might be way off, but I think she'll be in the same job for a few seasons yet.

I fear you may be right but i am really hoping against it haha.  You bring up some good points about the "home away from home" and its true aside from the apartment complex Penny doesn't really have another place where she can be the kind of center of a scene.  

I'm hoping that they will be able to use her job situation as a way to either get her in more college courses or help change the living situation up a bit.

That is a very excellent analysis on Penny's job.  So if we want her to progress, I think being a manager at the Cheesecake factory would be the only logical step to keep that scene set.  I guess she could get her AA in management at college and apply and get a management position.  It would get her out of that silly uniform.

Thats an interesting thought.  I mean she's not the best waitress so its hard to imagine her boss asking her to step up to the plate like that but if she were to take a few extra classes and was able to show she had some skill in the area seeing her as even an assistant manager or some other higher position might be a nice change of pace and a way for her to make more money

That is a very excellent analysis on Penny's job. So if we want her to progress, I think being a manager at the Cheesecake factory would be the only logical step to keep that scene set. I guess she could get her AA in management at college and apply and get a management position. It would get her out of that silly uniform.

That scenario could work, but she doesn't enjoy her job and may be unlikely to be motivated to move into management. I would be satisfied with her committing to college, finding a career she enjoyed (drama teacher, perhaps?) and getting a degree. She could still work at the Cheesecake Factory while in school like Bernie. Knowing that her future will one day be beyond waitressing will probably make it a tolerable place for her to work for a few more years.

Edited by bostrich
  • Like 3

Having her stay at the Cheesecake Factory and go to school makes a lot of sense, but with the writers having Penny say, very strongly, that she is bad at her job, I don't think they are thinking that way.

• Like 1

Having her stay at the Cheesecake Factory and go to school makes a lot of sense, but with the writers having Penny say, very strongly, that she is bad at her job, I don't think they are thinking that way.
True. It seems like she might be leaving there, they can write around the problems I listed without too much trouble. Personally, I kind of like the idea of her getting fired. She would be devastated that she failed at that too and would have to face some hard truths: you don't get anywhere without hard work and you can't skate by on looks forever. She would probably have to be dependent on Leonard for awhile (I feel she would not like that at all) and quickly decide to get serious about school or her acting 'career'. The acting career has loads of storyline potential (if a bit derivative of friends) while school seems like a realistic option. I would not like it if she magically gets a TV role. The others all earned their success, I want her to as well.

True. It seems like she might be leaving there, they can write around the problems I listed without too much trouble. Personally, I kind of like the idea of her getting fired. She would be devastated that she failed at that too and would have to face some hard truths: you don't get anywhere without hard work and you can't skate by on looks forever. She would probably have to be dependent on Leonard for awhile (I feel she would not like that at all) and quickly decide to get serious about school or her acting 'career'. The acting career has loads of storyline potential (if a bit derivative of friends) while school seems like a realistic option. I would not like it if she magically gets a TV role. The others all earned their success, I want her to as well.

This, this, this, and oh yea some more of this.

As much as i love her character i think it is in fact time for a reality check.  Whether she wants to go to school, actually put some effort into acting, or do something else i'd say its time she made it happen.  She has for a majority of the show been skating along in a menial job basically on her good looks. While getting fired may cause her to end up leaning on Leonard a lot i think this is what will open her eyes.  She doesn't want help, not in that way at least and if it falls on him to help her keep her apartment or pay her bills or whatever she will quickly want to fix that and pay him back.  

Of course she just as easily could fall into a "I'll stay at home and have sex with you, while you go work and pay for stuff" relationsihp which might cause Leonard to make some changes or confront her about it.  who knows

Her not having a job would probably cause problems between her and Leonard, based on her characters history. I hope that is not what the writers are planning, to make more conflict between them.

Yeah, I can see Leonard just having to weather the storm that will be Penny's crushed ego if she doesn't have a job. Hopefully, the relationship will be strong enough by then to withstand it.

Yea it really falls down to the way the writers want play it.  The Penny character is surprisingly complex and she could react in a multitude of ways depending on how she looks at it.

Scenario 1) Most likely- Crushed ego at having failed at something as menial as waitressing she feels depressed and could get mad/upset if Leonard offers to help with money and other financial issues.

Scenario 2) Possible- She takes it as a sign of its time to move on and either goes after schooling or acting more aggressively than she has been in the past.

Scenario 3) IDK maybe?- She finds another menial job that requires no out side skill set simply to pay for her own bills and other expenses 

Scenario 4) unlikely but i think would be funny- She gets some kind of labor or other easy job at caltech and never hears the end of it from sheldon/howard.

Me too I would love to see the shoe on the other foot! However I think they still have a lot to address before we can really think about another propsal

I'd love to see Penny propose too, but I agree, still a LONG way off. Plus Leonard will make at least one more boneheaded proposal before Penny decides she's ready to marry him. He can't help himself.

Idk I feel like Leonard kind of learned his lesson after his last attempt and the last thing he wants to do is scare penny off again so I think he's going to play it a little safer... also with the ily out there he will hopefully build the confidence to perform a real proposal of they decide to go with him asking her again

Well , I don't care if its either Leonard or Penny who proposes next as long as the answer is big whooping YES :)

• Like 1

I think he may not propose again, because he is sort of handling their relationship like she wants, nice and slow, and he seems to not put his foot in his mouth as bad now.  Also, the proposal was a real mistake and Penny's reaction was more extreme that the original ILY. 

New thought for Penny's job.  They should move her to full time bartender and have her learn some crazy drink pouring/making skills, like those professional bartenders who can like throw bottles around and pour stuff while spinning.  That would be fun to watch :p

Yeah, I understand how he would be very reluctant to propose again, but he just has the worst timing and always says the wrong thing. I can see it just slipping out or him testing the waters in a wishy-washy way when they have some big life event as a couple e.g. mutual desire to move in together. It's ready built relationship conflict that may be hard for the writers to resist. For the successful one, I can see the Penny proposing or Penny telling him when it's okay for him to do it. :)

• Like 2

I agree, Penny is either going to have to give him the OK or she will do it.

After reading everyones input on Penny's job, I am less confident on what they should do about her job.  The Cheesecake Factory, as a way to bring everyone together, is a dynamic that will hard to replace.  Her staying as a bartender or being promoted to a manager is a way of keeping that outside meeting place, but I am now thinking the Penny character would not really be happy if that is her career plateau.  I think she is going to be an actress or she is going to college for her self worth, so I now think that is the writers plan. 

Yea in reality it is the only logical way to show the next level of growth for the Penny character.  I mean we've seen her evolving emotionally over the course of season 6,

we've seen her...

evaluate her relationship with leonard,

start trying harder to be a better gf,

take interest in his work,

actually visit him at work

start taking college classes to try and "get smarter"

and finally say ILY

I think the next step is for her career to change, evolve, or flat line.  In the case of flatlining i think the purpose of it will be for her to move on to something else.  Like its been said i don't really want to see her become totally dependent on Leonard but it could bring htem closer together if he shows her that he would be there for her through anything :)

Makes sense.  Penny has had to change the most, of the original five, to make the story work, so going to college would be in line with her character development.  She has come to admire smart people so her wanting to be smart would make sense.  So logically I can see her going to college will probably be a bigger factor in the show.  I would still like her to have to move in with Leonard for a short time to see how that works in the show.  I think that would create some great Sheldon/Penny conflict that would be really funny.

oh absolutely.  Sheldon and Penny in close proximity now always leads to humorous conflict.  Imagine them in the same apartment for days on end O.o that would certainly be entertaining, but they would have to use the whole ordeal as a learning experience for Penny while she figures out what to do.  Using it as a simple way to drag sheldon (everyones favorite character) into their relationship more i think would not be as enjoyable or as beneficial to the story.

Maybe she could just need one more full time semester to get her AA, so Leonard talks her into going full time, after she leaves the Cheesecake Factory. Leonard could get her a part-time job at his university, so then we could have some original 5 interaction at lunch or in the halls, and since she would be part-time she wouldn't be there all the time. She could move in with Leonard as long as the writers can figure a way she can get her apartment back.

If she's leaving the Cheesecake Factory, I think it could be funny if she got a job as Siebert's executive assistant for awhile. She would have a fun time riling Sheldon that her job was superior to his because she works in the president's office.

Edited by bostrich
  • Like 1