The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
C-Trayne

Penny's Job

Putting penny in any job position where she was even close to his level would absolutely drive him up a wall.  That would be really fun to watch haha

Great idea! If she had a job where she controlled something or controlled access to something that Sheldon wanted it would be awesome. Her working at Caltech while she goes to college would create some very funny interaction between her and Sheldon. She wouldn't have to be there permanently, just long enough for her to complete school and drive Sheldon crazy.penny's i love you

I don't know if they would be able to work in having her both at caltech and in school.  I think if they chose to go the college route they would have to hvae her and Leonard move in together, whether he goes and stays at her apartment so she doesnt lose it (since shes not working) or just say screw 4B and have her live in 4A with the guys.  I think whatever happens in the future, the living situation, penny's job, and her academic career are all going to end up tying in together.

Oh yeah, imagine if she screened all of Seibert's calls and wouldn't let Sheldon annoy him. In the apartment, Sheldon tries to call Seibert at home again, the call diverts and Penny answers while she is sitting on the couch. LOL. Oh and she says the only time Siebert will meet with him is by appointment.... in two months. It'd be a good lesson for Sheldon that people aren't at his beck and call 24/7.

Edited by bostrich

haha that made me laugh just imagining it.  I don't know how they could get it to come up, maybe leonard has some pull at the school or something.  But if they were able to pull it off, that would be immensly amusing!

I'm really liking this idea of her working at the college. Leonard could not tell Sheldon about it beforehand, for obvious reasons, until one day Penny gets in the car with them in the morning for her first day at work. Can you see Sheldon looking at her confused and asking what she is doing in the car. She could start driving Sheldon nuts on the way to work. I could picture Sheldon telling Leonard this is not right and how he has to put up with her in the evening and weekends, so why does she have to be around during the day. LOL

She could work part time, three days a week, and go to college the other two days and some nights or Saturday. Or just work full time and go to school at night.

I'm really liking this idea of her working at the college. Leonard could not tell Sheldon about it beforehand, for obvious reasons, until one day Penny gets in the car with them in the morning for her first day at work. Can you see Sheldon looking at her confused and asking what she is doing in the car. She could start driving Sheldon nuts on the way to work. I could picture Sheldon telling Leonard this is not right and how he has to put up with her in the evening and weekends, so why does she have to be around during the day. LOL She could work part time, three days a week, and go to college the other two days and some nights or Saturday. Or just work full time and go to school at night.
This. So much. :)

The only forseeable problem that might occur from that is if she starts working at caltech and ends up spending longer and longer periods of time in close proximity to Leonard how would that affect there relationship?  It could be good practice for them before they ended up living together i guess.  Since, they would be spending work days, likely lunch, nights, dinners, and probably weekends in eachothers company.  What happens when they can't get away?

I like to think they'd be okay and work it out but who knows what the writers of this show could do with it

If she works in a different part of Caltech, and maybe part time she could only see Leonard a little at work.  But she would have to have a job that upsets Sheldon.  She could even work only mornings and go to college in the afternoons, so she only has lunch with the guys if one of her classes cancels.  That way they could limit her exposure to the guys except when there are funny things going on.  The more I think about it, it sounds like it could be real funny.  It would have to limited though and she would have to move along to something else, later.

Yeah, I don't think it'd be a big deal. It's not like she'd be working in his lab, or probably in the physics building. It's a big place. And she might not even have lunch with them depending on her schedule. Anyway, it'd be hilarious for a few episodes. I really want her to graduate from community college and have everyone attend the ceremony. Love to hear what Sheldon would think of it.

the mroe i think about it and the more you guys defend it the more i want it to happen haha.  I think that it would actually be kind of enjoyable to watch for a while.  Like Sraam said though it would have to be something quick and sweet.  I don't see it being any kind of long term deal, and especially not permanent.

I just wish the writers could see some of the results of our brainstorming. I do think we are going to see something this season on a Penny job change, however.

• Like 1

Ok, I had another thought, since we agree that if Penny works at the university it should only be temporary, what if she goes through a series of temp jobs. That could be pretty funny and Leonard can help her.

Also, she could get another commercial, but gets cast as a young mother in it. I could just see her crying to Leonard that "OMG they think I look old". The funny part would be when the commercial is finally aired she comes off as this really HOT young chick who just happens to have a kid to deal with.

• Like 2

Haha i like that idea a lot actually.  It is kind of that time, i mean Penny has to be aproaching thirty by this point.  She was what like 22 at the series premier so its been several years.  Seeing her in a light where she is worried shes not as young looking or where shes not as pretty as she used to be would be a fun change.

Then of course Leonard could come to her aid and convince her that shes still th gorgeous 21 year old in his eyes :) bawwww

Nice idea. A 20-something mother role might help her snap out of the idea that she is still a 21 year old starlet waiting to be discovered. Also, she should get a new agent. Clearly, the one she has at the moment is terrible. :)

• Like 1

Very nice idea SRAM. And along with bostrich with this, playing a 20-something mother role might help Penny snap out of the idea that she is still a 21 year old starlet that is waiting to be discovered. Also, she really needs get a new agent.

I'm really surprised the writers didn't do more funny things with her acting career over the last five and a half seasons. It has been used more to make her seem like a failure and the butt of Sheldon's insults, than to get laughs.

• Like 1

Well her acting career was never really a big part of the show.  If she had become a successful actress she likely would have been out of town a lot performing certain roles and such.  By keeping her a "failed" actress they keep her in close proximity to the guys while also giving her a reality check.  You can't always get by on looks, and shes learning that as season 6 goes on.  I think by the end of this season we will see some kind of monumental change for her... whether that means, new job, fired from job, college, or something entirely different i think its to hard to judge at this time.  But something is likely going to happen

I think you are right, they seem to be pushing a career change this season.  I wonder if the writers will go with something funny or character growth?  I hope they make her do something Leonard can help her with and I guess the best for that is college.  She seems to be getting closer to Leonard, especially after 6.12, so him helping her seems more probable.

I think that TPTB have been making a little noise about having Penny progress in her acting career, which makes sense to me.

I don't think they want to go down the road of having her have another "career" type of job, since her waitressing is supposed to be her "day job", as those of us in the arts call it, and acting is her career. I can't imagine she'd want to take classes to be in management or some other job with heavy responsibilites because that would interefere with her ability to take acting roles. Her whole purpose in taking classes at the community college is simply to kind of improve herself, mainly in order to try to keep up with Leonard, not necessarily as any kind of career move.

I think if she got a few bit parts in TV shows or more commercials or even bit parts in some really small movies (like either straight-to-DVD or shoestring budget indie films) would be a way to mix things up, get her out of the Cheesecake Factory to some degree, show her participating in her career more, and give her some funny adventures.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 1

I think that TPTB have been making a little noise about having Penny progress in her acting career, which makes sense to me.

I don't think they want to go down the road of having her have another "career" type of job, since her waitressing is supposed to be her "day job", as those of us in the arts call it, and acting is her career. I can't imagine she'd want to take classes to be in management or some other job with heavy responsibilites because that would interefere with her ability to take acting roles. Her whole purpose in taking classes at the community college is simply to kind of improve herself, mainly in order to try to keep up with Leonard, not necessarily as any kind of career move.

I think if she got a few bit parts in TV shows or more commercials or even bit parts in some really small movies (like either straight-to-DVD or shoestring budget indie films) would be a way to mix things up, get her out of the Cheesecake Factory to some degree, show her participating in her career more, and give her some funny adventures.

First, what is TPTB?? I've seen in mentioned numerous times but i've never thought to ask but i need to know what it is haha 

second, where do we think her acting career could go?  I mean she hasn't had much luck... or really any luck in 6 years i mean maybe its time she should start looking for a real job

third, i doubt she wants to be at the cheesecake factory for much longer and if she can't get anywhere in acting maybe college is the way to go?

I think if they did choose the route of her getting smaller parts it could indeed be funny, especially how Leonard ends up taking it if theres an attractive male star on the show ;) haha but i hope they don't just out of the blue give her a part in something.  it has been a while since her last commercial after all

I LOVE UR PARRORT SRAM

He watches the show with me. He is a real character.

First, what is TPTB?? I've seen in mentioned numerous times but i've never thought to ask but i need to know what it is haha 

second, where do we think her acting career could go?  I mean she hasn't had much luck... or really any luck in 6 years i mean maybe its time she should start looking for a real job

third, i doubt she wants to be at the cheesecake factory for much longer and if she can't get anywhere in acting maybe college is the way to go?

I think if they did choose the route of her getting smaller parts it could indeed be funny, especially how Leonard ends up taking it if theres an attractive male star on the show ;) haha but i hope they don't just out of the blue give her a part in something.  it has been a while since her last commercial after all

TPTB= The Powers That Be (people in charge) :)

I think that it's kind of understood that she still takes auditions, etc., so her landing a bit part in something would not be unusual.  Besides, she has an agent and the agent could call out of the blue to send her to an audition for some small role or another commercial or whatever.

I think it would be fun to show her doing all kinds of random roles for all kinds of things, especially if she had to do weird things for commercials (think of all the stupid, wacky things you've seen on commercials) like wearing stupid costumes, dancing with a mop, getting splattered with something.

I think that if they were to go the route where she quits or gets fired from the Cheesecake Factory, they could show her desperately taking auditions for anything and everything in order to try to land roles and earn some money.  They could do a funny montage of her in all these outrageous circumstances, coming home all bedraggled, etc.

And I think it would be funny if she got to go with the gang to eat at the Cheesecake Factory as a patron rather than as a waitress.  She could actually sit at the table with the others, maybe give their waitress a hard time, etc.

But I think that they're not going to get away from the premise that she's an aspiring actress.  They've just been focused on other things recently.