The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
C-Trayne

Penny's Job

That's right, has there ever been a scene with Penny out with the guys eating? I don't remember seeing one.

I agree, Penny doing different jobs or going to auditions could be made to be really funny. She could even have an audition for some Si-Fi show and the guys could help her get her nerd on. Leonard could also be a big help and support for her which would bring them closer together.

I think it would be fun to show her doing all kinds of random roles for all kinds of things, especially if she had to do weird things for commercials (think of all the stupid, wacky things you've seen on commercials) like wearing stupid costumes, dancing with a mop, getting splattered with something.

You mean like nursing on wolves?

??????????????

OK, I don't get it

Jim Parsons did a commercial for Quiznos, I think it was, where a guy asks him if he was raised by wolves.  There's a sort of flashback then that shows Jim's character nursing on a mama wolf along with her other wolfcubs. :D

Oh! Never knew that. That would be so funny if Penny did an off the wall commercial like that. I could just picture the whole gang watching it and after it was over, then looking at her with their mouths open. She would look back at them and then with that soft voice she uses to explain when she screws something up, she would say " but they paid realty well" or something like that.

Haha that would be kinda funny... it would be nice to see her land some kind of job that's some what new and exciting. We've followed her for six years and seen her in the same place economically the entire time. Let's mix it up ppl!

"Mix it up" is what they should do, I agree.  She should go through a series of jobs before she settles on something.  There is a great deal of comic potential there and all it  has to be is little comments in the episode, not a whole storyline.  Though  in one of the last episodes she is looking, they could show her going from one  interview/audition  to another and Leonard being supportive until she gets something good.

what if while watching Leonard work or preform some experiment she finds some part of science that really interests her?  Maybe an experiment that produces some flashy visuals or something and she decides to find out how it works.  Maybe a way to kind of turn her eye to science 

I always though it would he cute if Leonard was asked to be a techical expert for the main character on a Saturday morning science show a local TV network is starting.  He could get Penny a audition and the guys could try to teach her science stuff for the show.  That way she could have a full time actress job but she would be famous to little kids and their parents only.

I always though it would he cute if Leonard was asked to be a techical expert for the main character on a Saturday morning science show a local TV network is starting. He could get Penny a audition and the guys could try to teach her science stuff for the show. That way she could have a full time actress job but she would be famous to little kids and their parents only.

This is a really cute idea. If it was like a non-fiction junior science sort of show I could see Penny landing the job by sprouting off a few things she's learnt from the guys (e.g. Schrödinger's cat) and her name on the show would of course be Dr. Penny. That would drive Sheldon bonkers and Penny could have a dig at Howard for being the only one who isn't a doctor. :icon_wink:

Edited by bostrich
  • Like 1

Dr Penny is the perfect name for the show.  Sheldon would be so upset that people refer to her as Doctor.  I was thinking wouldn't it be funny if they were all out eating and a little girl came up to her and asked Dr Penny to autograph her napkin.  Sheldon would just sit there with his face ticks because he would be so upset.

• Like 1

I would like to see Penny do an SF film; schlocky screamer or über smart. Or as THE Doctor's companion in a proposed US re-imagined Dr W. That could go either cringe or triumph. But Penny can't get a career win so I guess they would go for the funny. All good if she keeps Leonard.

Penny could loose her Cheesecake Factory job and Stuart could offer her a temp job at the comic store. She could work there a couple weeks and because of her, Stuarts sales jump like crazy and he makes a ton of money because all the nerds want to see Penny. Leonard would not be too happy about this, so he would work really hard to fine her a job she likes to get her out of the comic store.

OK, I am a Little fired up about the good L/P stuff from the last episode. I think I want to see now, Penny get a little depressed about all her career hopes going down the tubes and that maybe Sheldon is right, she is a failure. Leonard sees Penny in this state, which really hurts him, so he wants Penny to be happy and he becomes the one to move her in a direction where she can at least see some of her dreams realized. It can be as an actress or college to become smarter and more of a equal to the gang, it doesn't really matter, it just has to make Penny feel better about herself and show her again how much Leonard cares about her as a person. How's that for a bunch of mush!

OK, I am a Little fired up about the good L/P stuff from the last episode. I think I want to see now, Penny get a little depressed about all her career hopes going down the tubes and that maybe Sheldon is right, she is a failure. Leonard sees Penny in this state, which really hurts him, so he wants Penny to be happy and he becomes the one to move her in a direction where she can at least see some of her dreams realized. It can be as an actress or college to become smarter and more of a equal to the gang, it doesn't really matter, it just has to make Penny feel better about herself and show her again how much Leonard cares about her as a person. How's that for a bunch of mush!

love it--i am into mush.

Its a nice idea in theory but i think that you hit the nail on the head yourself... its too mushy for the show.  Personally i love the idea not only because of what it would mean for the characters but because its believeable.  Obviously Leonard would reach out and offer any kind of assistance in a situation like this.

However, i feel like the writers of the show enjoy conflict and drama far more than they do realistic bf/gf moments.  Any situation involving a career change or loss of job for penny is likely going to be met wit some kind of dispute.  Like Penny not wanting to depend on Leonard or him trying to hard for her or soemthing.  IDK i've just lost a lot of faith in the writers recently... although i will say they are on track to fix taht with the next couple episodes.

Yeah, I agree what you said about the writers wanting conflict and drama then trying to put a funny spin on it. It is just that the last episode handled Penny and Leonard pretty good, so l had a little hope they would allow them to act like gf/bf for a while and maybe pick on Sheldon and Amy instead (or even do something with Raj). They have been building us up for something to happen with Penny's job and the longer in goes on, I worry they are going to put a lot of drama in it. Like her deciding to go back to Nebraska again.

All signs point to Penny doing something besides waitressing but the new changes in L/P relationship do not indicate a big drama associated with the change. The sixth season episodes have been about conflicts within the 22 minutes of the episode. They have figured out that the fans don't mind the fights in the relationships as long as they don't last long.

I'm pretty sure that Leonard will support Penny as she tries to find a new purpose. Why? Because that is what Leonard does, sometimes to the extreme that pisses her off. But if she is out of work for a while or decides to go back to school full time, Leonard will make sure that she is secure. This may cause some conflict as Leonard will over protect her but I don't think it will do anything but make L/P stronger.

• Like 1

Leonard will definitely try to overprotect her, because that is part of his character.  It would be nice though if the writers let Penny understand where Leonard is coming from and let her accept his help.  So far their relationship is getting better and better as season 6 progresses so maybe the next half of the season will be all good stuff.  I would like to see her get a new job that she can be happy with and I am now tired of Sheldon calling her a failure, it is getting old.

Leonard will definitely try to overprotect her, because that is part of his character.  It would be nice though if the writers let Penny understand where Leonard is coming from and let her accept his help.  So far their relationship is getting better and better as season 6 progresses so maybe the next half of the season will be all good stuff.  I would like to see her get a new job that she can be happy with and I am now tired of Sheldon calling her a failure, it is getting old.

Pretty much only Stephen Hawking is not a failure to Sheldon. None of his cohort are ever complimented for their work. He has been disrespectful of Nobel prize winners and recently of that "well known self promoter and physicist", Peter Higgs.

Penny will never get a nod from him, unless in the penultimate episode.

Not sure if the writers will give her anything plum either, because they like the contrasts to be exaggerated for comedic effect. Maybe some new kind of conventional job will occur to them that has legs to go the next four years.

She can't work in features because she'd be away too much. Maybe can they give her more jobbing actor roles in TV drama or soap. That would be an escalation. But Joey did soaps. Or she gets super-successful and Leonard becomes the hindrance (call back to s5).

Was there something about Penny being in a student film with Cole mentioned on the internets?>

Also, unless they do a Dallas shower scene, I've been convinced that they can't go breaking L/P again, without permanently breaking L/P.  So whatever she does Leonard will support/tolerate/reluctantly accede to it.

I'm not saying your wrong, but it would be a little disappointment if they just change her job from one regular job to another and leave it at that. I still think they may use her job change to move her character or bring her closer to Leonard. The suggestions in this post also identify a lot of funny ways they could change her job, so I would think the writers would see that too.

Hope for the best; prepare for the worst. I'm not as smart as the writers.Who would have thought they could do a show about physicists. Maybe they something in thr oven. Hopefully not a bun.

Yea i feel like they've kind of written her career into a whole at this point in the series.  Short of her spontaneously getting fired or getting some kind of awesome acting job I can't really picture a scenario that is not only believable but also plausible from where the characters are progression wise in the show.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see some development in this aspect of Penny's life.  It just seems like the writers don't want to do anything with it.  They have had 6 seasons to be tweaking it, or to at least mention maybe shes looking for a different job or wants to try something new.  Instead here we are with her still at her dead end job...

ah well heres hoping the writers can pull off another miracle.  I really hope they can come up with soemthing that is enjoyable to watch