The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
C-Trayne

Penny's Job

All good points. I would like them to do something positive with her job but maybe they aren't planning anything for her and those statements she made about being bad at her job are just suppose to be funny. After all the story of a young pretty girl coming to Hollywood to be a star and ending up only a waitress is very real.

Exactly... unless something comes out of the blue it seems like they have no real plans thus far. Or else they would have at least hinted at it

I reckon they can keep Penny's job fresh, if they make it an objective. With 7 regulars they have a big canvas and a small viewing window. In a long run they can reveal more bits of that canvas. It's just not her turn for that yet. Glass half full, see.:)

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

IDK, they moved Bernadette's career along from being a waitress/grad student, to a PHD/job without a problem and got some funny stuff out of it with her buying Howard gifts. Why can't they do something with Penny, who has more job issues, and make it funny?

That would be a nice idea... I think it was easy with bernadette because she was already working on her PHD when we met her thus the jump was ready to be made it was only a when will it happen kind of deal

With penny its harder because besides waitressing what else does she have really? Acting? Not really... giving her a big break there I think would come to much out of the blue in retrospect.

Thus the problem of what to do...

That would be a nice idea... I think it was easy with Bernadette because she was already working on her PHD when we met her thus the jump was ready to be made it was only a when will it happen kind of deal

With penny its harder because besides waitressing what else does she have really? Acting? Not really... giving her a big break there I think would come to much out of the blue in retrospect.

Thus the problem of what to do...

That's a hell of a big problem with Penny, the way she is shown now. She has no known skill and they have taken some away from her this season (can't cook, bad waitress, poor student, acting career gone "south").

At this rate, Leonard will have to take care of her by the end of the season.

Exactly, I never even really thought about the more mudane things like cooking/cleaning but your right it seems like this season has kind of pointed out a lot of the short comings in her character.  Hopefully the rest of teh season works as a kind of epiphany for her to realize she can't just sort of float by forever and she'll be able to try and make soemthing happen through season 7.  Whether thats a new job or schooling or something IDK but its a possiblity

That's a hell of a big problem with Penny, the way she is shown now. She has no known skill and they have taken some away from her this season (can't cook, bad waitress, poor student, acting career gone "south").   At this rate, Leonard will have to take care of her by the end of the season.
Wow I never realized that, but you are right. They have really made her a person with almost no skills and not much of a future. That is sort of sad. I hope they do something to improve her situation, because the Penny character does not seem the type to want to be taken care of and would not be happy that way.

Exactly, they haven't given her much to work with over the years and it seems to be reflecting through the current season. I'm guessing they will have her realize this as the season goes on and hopefully have her work towards something more meaningful...

Her acting career has never been a big deal so if it sort of went away, I don't think it would hurt the show. Her getting a degree seems to be a good path though and then some sort of job associated with her degree. It wouldn't be too bad if she was dependent on Leonard for a little while if she knew she could take care of herself again after she graduated. That would still keep her in character, I think.

• Like 1

Totally believable in a committed relationship. Just need a declaration of intent beyond the ILY. Anything formal can follow, and they would have to cohabit.

Still funny with Sheldon across the hall? They won't swap, Sheldon has dibs on the apartment. Think I saw someone else ponder this.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Well they have several ways they could do it if they wanted...

The easiest would be to simply say penny lost her job and can't afford rent anymore. Which could lead to either penny moving in with the guys or more likely Leonard moving in with her

But I think a better solution might be to create some kind of accident. Like the pipes bursting or something that renders her apartment temporarily uninhabitabal. This could then lead to a temporary move in with the guys and give L/P a taste of what living together could be.

Not only that but as its been said penny+Leonard+Sheldon=hilarity

You know a lot of this stuff could happen if Penny would talk to Leonard. If she could bare her soul to him half as much as he has done to her their relationship would be so much better. She just chases him away when things get too serious. Even after the ILY she chased him off. If the writers really want some character growth for her they need her to open up to him more.

• Like 1

You know a lot of this stuff could happen if Penny would talk to Leonard. If she could bare her soul to him half as much as he has done to her their relationship would be so much better. She just chases him away when things get too serious. Even after the ILY she chased him off. If the writers really want some character growth for her they need her to open up to him more.

All I will say is you are very prescient with this comment about Penny needing to open up to Leonard. As this season of "fixing" Penny progresses, that's the next thing for the writers to do to keep the changes rolling.

Edited by BangerMain

All I will say is you are very prescient with this comment about Penny needing to open up to Leonard. As this season of "fixing" Penny progresses, that's the next thing for the writers to do to keep the changes rolling.
I just see it as the logical next step. Her being scared and not being able to talk to him seems like it should be over after the ILY, but even then she didn't want to talk about it and we still haven't had a word about it. I know it is probably too soon, the way this show goes, but it should happen if there is going to be real progression. So if they address Penny's job during the second half of the season, it would be a great way for Penny to finally open up to Leonard and tell him her fears, hopes and dreams.

I now really think they should have her complete community college and get her AA. They should make it sort of big deal of it in an episode and have a scene of her proudly hanging her frame diploma up.

I want to see Penny own a little business, like a coffee or gift shop. She'd need to come into some money for the start-up cash. I don't know if academic achievements are really her strenght but we will have to see where they take that. But she has common sense, she's just been a little lazy. When she had the Penny Blossom idea she really went for it. I think if she had something that was all hers she would make a go of it.

Edited by Moonbase

I don't think her character would work that hard to run her own business. She didn't really have a grasp of the Penny Blossom thing until the guys got into it and she didn't know what to do when they didn't want to help anymore. Also she would never see Leonard if she had her own business.

If she had a little coffee shop she could see Leonard. She tried to learn how to make cocktails, maybe she can make cupcakes. And Penny wanted to do the Blossoms thing but it wasn't really viable.

As people mature, they either come to the conclusion they must do something for themselves, get married or give up and get an alcohol problem. Penny's tried the drinking :icon_cheesygrin: She might marry Leonard one day but it would be nice for her to achieve something as well. 

Edited by Moonbase

I agree with you there, it would be nice to see her achieve something. Penny came to California with dreams and those dreams seemed to have been forgotten by the writers. They seem to only use her broken dreams to make her hate herself and make her feel stupid because all her friends are successful in their careers.

You said it right there Sraam... the first several seasons even through season 5 she had her acting dreams and got a small break in the commercial at the start of S5 but since then its like they just squashed those dreams into nothing.  She has had no real achievement since then, even her B- on her college paper came through the help of her friends.

i really want to see something big happen both with and for her character.  She needs not only the self esteem boost but just the feeling of accomplishment.  I feel like that is something that the Penny character has never really known, unless shes beating the guys at halo or something.  

I think that it would not only be good for her character but would be good for her relationship.  She feels like shes not good enough for Leonard and even tho its addressed in the coming episodes I doubt she will ever feel secure in a relationship with Leonard until she brings something to the table besides looks/sex.  Thus she needs some kind of accomplishment and i think her job is the first place to look/hope for that.

Moonbase said it very well, i think maybe getting into some kind of small buisness is not a bad idea at all.  Haha how funny would it be if she got a job at the comic book store following (ep 13) and then ends up doing a better job than stuart so she takes over. Far fetched but still comedic gold lol.  Oh well heres hoping for something special in the future with her!

• Like 1

Haha how funny would it be if she got a job at the comic book store following (ep 13) and then ends up doing a better job than stuart so she takes over. Far fetched but still comedic gold lol.  Oh well heres hoping for something special in the future with her!

Yeah thats real good! she gets sacked from the cheesecake factory and Stuart offers her a job because he feels sorry for her. She becomes a big draw for his customers at first, because she's such a hottie. But then she starts to recall stuff about comics that the guys have talked about and becomes this super saleswoman. Going all crazy for it! She could drive everyone insane until Stuart has to make her a partner in the store or something. Stuart would then has some cash as well!

oh yea haha just having a girl in the store would likely cause any guy she talked to too buy anything she offered lol.  That would be hilarious to watch but IDK if the penny character is really fit for sales.  I can imagine her just offering some overweight guy a random novelty item and him just saying "i'll buy anything from youuu