Penny's Job

C-Trayne

That could be real funny her doing a voice over on a game. Maybe she could be a character in the game that you have to beat to move on and if you don't beat her she makes demeaning remarks like "what's wrong can't beat a girl" or something funny. I could see Sheldon not being able to beat her character and getting all upset and yelling while playing against her character "die Penny die".

OK, I figured it out. Penny loses her job at the Cheesecake factory. Leonard and her talk it out and she goes full time to school and moves in with Leonard. Her apartment is used and paid for by either Raj, Amy or H/B for some temporary reason (the writers will have to come up with a reason, I can't think of everything) while she is in school. She does part-time jobs while going to school to make spending money. Some of the part-time jobs include a voice over for a game, helping at the comic book store and a temp job at Caltech. She gets her AA and it leads to a better job that she enjoys. Leonard and her get closer due to her living with him and they now sleep with each other every night in either her or Leonard's apartment.

OK, I figured it out. Penny loses her job at the Cheesecake factory. Leonard and her talk it out and she goes full time to school and moves in with Leonard. Her apartment is used and paid for by either Raj, Amy or H/B for some temporary reason (the writers will have to come up with a reason, I can't think of everything) while she is in school. She does part-time jobs while going to school to make spending money. Some of the part-time jobs include a voice over for a game, helping at the comic book store and a temp job at Caltech. She gets her AA and it leads to a better job that she enjoys. Leonard and her get closer due to her living with him and they now sleep with each other every night in either her or Leonard's apartment.

I like it and it seems probable at least, except for whta to do with Penny's apartment and the multitude of part time jobs.  I think they would have to find her one job and let her stick to it since shes going to be going to school and as for her apartment, i could see amy moving in to be closer to sheldon but idk what kind of reprocutions that may have to be honest... the logical choice would be raj since he could then move in with sheldon after in L/P moved into her apartment, then we could see more of his dog which would be nice.  Just have to find a reason for why he would leave his place.

Sheldon did like Raj when he moved in before, but Stuart now lives with Raj so they will have to do something about him. Penny and Leonard moving in together seems to be the next logical step in their relationship and her losing her job is the perfect excuse for it to happen. The only problem I see is where is Leonard going to put his clothes, because Penny's closets are full of clothes and shoes.

Makes sense.  Penny has had to change the most, of the original five, to make the story work, so going to college would be in line with her character development.  She has come to admire smart people so her wanting to be smart would make sense.  So logically I can see her going to college will probably be a bigger factor in the show.  I would still like her to have to move in with Leonard for a short time to see how that works in the show.  I think that would create some great Sheldon/Penny conflict that would be really funny.

Difficult to "be" smart.Either you are or you are not.And based on the episode with the History paper,Penny is not smart.She is infact rather stupid.And this is consistent with the character from the beginning. Now she is street smart but tht is a different thing.

Is she not smart or not educated? The show has made many references that she didn't complete community college, so she did complete part of it, therefore, isn't it logical to assume she is smart enough to complete community college. I have had to explain technical systems, in very simple ways, to people with masters degrees in non technical fields, many times in the past, so Penny may just pursue a non technical degree. Not everyone likes science.

• Like 2

Is she not smart or not educated? The show has made many references that she didn't complete community college, so she did complete part of it, therefore, isn't it logical to assume she is smart enough to complete community college. I have had to explain technical systems, in very simple ways, to people with masters degrees in non technical fields, many times in the past, so Penny may just pursue a non technical degree. Not everyone likes science.

Good point. Although you may be preaching to the choir. This person also called Penny a loser. It seems millions of people watch the show and like her character. Does that make all of those people (including myself) stupid and a loser?

Good point. Although you may be preaching to the choir. This person also called Penny a loser. It seems millions of people watch the show and like her character. Does that make all of those people (including myself) stupid and a loser?
I see your point. I have known a few losers and she doesn't meet my definition of a loser. I always thought of her as/a ray of sunshine, like Leonard does. She breaks the pretty shallow girl stereotype because she sees beyond the nerdy exterior for the great people the gang are. The last episode she cared more about Raj's feelings, then the girl who rejected him, who probably would have been the type of girl she would be if it wasn't for the gang.

Difficult to "be" smart.Either you are or you are not.And based on the episode with the History paper,Penny is not smart.She is infact rather stupid.And this is consistent with the character from the beginning. Now she is street smart but tht is a different thing.

If one were to think the PhDs and engineer are normal and Penny is not, one is spending one's time floating around in some pretty intellectually rarefied part of the population. Is this plausible? For me she comes across as a normal competent adult, within the boundaries of the shows requirements. I don't think she has been portrayed as stupid, just young, starry-eyed, less well educated than the guy with two PhDs and no life skills, and inexperienced. Edited by Nogravitasatall

I do work in a world where engineers with masters are normal and we do have a few PHDs and I don't consider Penny stupid. Also we engineers know we work in a world most "normal" people don't work in or understand. We know we are better educated, not smarter than other people, but a minimum IQ is required to get here, plus a lot of hard work.

• Like 1

She is a loser because she is 28(?) with no career and no education.And till the very recent past she has made no attempts at a career.Even her acting career,you hardly hear of her going to auditions etc in the last 5 years.

Does not mean I do not like the Penny character. She is funny and provides a marked contrast to all her buddies who are sucessful.

She is a loser because she is 28(?) with no career and no education.And till the very recent past she has made no attempts at a career.Even her acting career,you hardly hear of her going to auditions etc in the last 5 years.

Does not mean I do not like the Penny character. She is funny and provides a marked contrast to all her buddies who are sucessful.

She is that (not so much the loser part). Now they are trying to address the character's problems and move her on. Otherwise they would risk making her look pathetic and slow of mind. They are laying the foundations of what will lift her up. Penny can't play the ingenue any more after so much time.

I'd speculate the show has the scope to do it. I think they are constrained and have to grow the characters in such a way that the casual viewer just getting on board can watch s1,2,3 and s7,8,9 without a WTC moment about the changes to the premise. Otherwise they give up their commitment to character growth and run the show in a looped bit of space/time like Seinfeld.

Penny's heralded change of job might be part of this. The world watches with bated breathe and the aficionados tremble.

And I'm off my soapbox.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Penny's situation is the stereotype young beautiful girl going to Hollywood to become a star and ending up struggling and being a waitress to make ends meet. This story is as old as Hollywood, so all the people that have followed that dream are losers?

I think it is quite plausible that Penny could get that big break, but Ms Cuoco has said she thinks Penny is not a great actress. I am a little torn between wishing her commercial success or being happy with Leonard. Maybe it doesn't have to either/or.

Can she have both, maybe sequentially. Or will that end up with her cheating with Ryan Gosling?

:-)

Penny's dreams were to become an actress and marry someone like Kurt. Now she has found that Leonard makes her happy, so maybe she'll find another career that makes her happy. Could that be an underlining story in this show, the road she thought she was going to take, she found out wasn't right for her and she decided to take the road less traveled?

My daughter is working through auditions for regional theatre while supporting herself, with her own apartment, as a waitress, is she a loser kutra? Or is the loser the daughter of our neighbor who's been out of college for six years, isn't working, and livi g with her parents? Or, perhaps it's you just don't like Penny.

Penny and Leonard have seemed to get better and better this season, and this last episode was good for their relationship. I wonder if the writers are getting them in a real good place before they drop a Penny job bomb?

• Like 2